• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Am I ENTP or ENFP?

Windigo

Another one that I didn't mention that from the replies seems to indicate T rather than F; although emotions affect me very strongly, they affect me internally and I don't like sharing them with people.

Do you ever find yourself questioning the authenticity of your emotions? Even internally?

Lady_X

MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I can't explain it anymore then I already have. Online, anyway, if it doesn't make sense then so be it.

not sure about OP's status I think it is going to take him a while to figure it out.
sure...just wasn't clear if you were saying entps are more that way than enfps...because i think maybe they both are...certainly enfps are.

Qre:us

Do you ever find yourself questioning the authenticity of your emotions? Even internally?

What an astute question for the topic at hand.

(way more insightful than the stupid "murder" question asked earlier in this thread; that's biased against a type and really points towards one's moral bent, not type)

:thumbup:

Windigo

ENFJ stereotypes describe me until I get to "usually tend to be well-organized". I consider myself very unorganized and spontaneous, and the neatness of my room right now (or rather, lack of it) speaks to that as well. :)

Also, I'm not good at bringing out shy people/getting the best from people. I'm very attracted to sociable, passionate people, and I tend to just ignore those who aren't because they seem uninteresting to me (whether or not that's actually the case).

Who's good at bringing out shy people? I've never met a shy person in my entire life! Does that make me an ENTP/ENFP?

Oh, and thank you Qre:us! :)

Lady_X

MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Who's good at bringing out shy people? I've never met a shy person in my entire life! Does that make me an ENTP/ENFP?
i don't know what you mean by this either! haha i can bring out shy people i think...but not sure if that's an enfp thing.

fusetah

MBTI Type
CAGE
Does not bringing out a shy person mean that you are bringing them down?

Windigo

Only if you bring them out into the wilderness and give them a 15 minute head start before you chase them with your gun! LOL!

And Lady X . . . I think that getting shy people to open up and feel comfortable is an especially ENFP thing!

Lady_X

MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Only if you bring them out into the wilderness and give them a 15 minute head start before you chase them with your gun! LOL!

And Lady X . . . I think that getting shy people to open up and feel comfortable is an especially ENFP thing!
right yeah...it probably is...we like to figure people out. :)

BlueFlame

MBTI Type
ENFJ
Enneagram
3w2
ENFJ stereotypes describe me until I get to "usually tend to be well-organized". I consider myself very unorganized and spontaneous, and the neatness of my room right now (or rather, lack of it) speaks to that as well. :)

ENFJs aren't really known to be all that organized in the external world. I know some of the descriptions tend to push that idea, but I don't buy it...especially when you're dealing with a very low J (like me:D.) Organization is more an organization of personal matters. ENFJs tend to be great at coming up with a phenomenal plan for everyone to pitch in and benefit, or create wonderful lists of things to be done...
But the idea of an NF being organized in general is pretty bunk to me. Obviously, some people are, but I think there's a lot of upbringing involved in that. Come check out my room. I bet it puts yours to shame. :yes:

Also, I'm not good at bringing out shy people/getting the best from people. I'm very attracted to sociable, passionate people, and I tend to just ignore those who aren't because they seem uninteresting to me (whether or not that's actually the case)

:rofl1:

Well, then, how is your forced interaction with people you aren't interested in and people who are shy?
My circle of friends is predominantly very extroverted SJs. I like to be stimulated, and I like strong personalities...
I will very rarely intentionally seek out someone I perceive as *mild.* BUT, when I interact with people who are included in my circle, or I'm forced to interact with those who aren't, I'm 100% stereotypical ENFJ.
Very few can expect to fit into any mold perfectly.

So, since you seem to be caught between worlds, have you taken a cognitive functions test? (Pardon me if you mentioned that already...my brain if foggy this morning.)

Tzatziki

MBTI Type
ENTP

Yes, I do. I dissect my emotions all the time. I'm usually pretty bad at changing them or making them go away by questioning them logically, but I can still say "I don't think I should be feeling this strongly about this."

On the other question, by not "bringing out a shy person" and "getting the best out of people," I meant that e.g. for the first, I just don't make the effort to get to know shy people, and I'm never the one that walks over and starts talking to the guy/girl sitting in the corner by themselves. If I'm forced to work with someone that doesn't willingly put forth effort I will try my hardest to get them to try their hardest, but I consider it a chore, and if I had the choice I would choose not to work with them.

I empathize when things don't work out for people who've tried hard to make things work. I seek to bring out the best in people who are already trying to do so themselves.

I guess the negative way you could put it is that I'm too busy thinking about how to improve the world to be bothered thinking about fixing it.

Cognitive functions test? Is this different from the MBTI-like tests floating around? If not, yes I have, and I usually get ENTP, but sometimes ENFP, and my %F/T is listed as like 47/53

B

brainheart

Pop Quiz:

You're in pre-law class. The professor singles you out and asks:
"If you knew for certain your client was guilty of murder, could you defend him?"

Weird. I didn't even hesitate on this question with my yes. Everyone has the right to quality legal counsel. And I would kind of enjoy the challenge. (Meanwhile, if he/she did get off, I would try to make a point of making sure the person turned his/her life around, did something to make it right. Well, not right, exactly, because a person is dead due to his/her actions, but feel the weight of their actions and learn from it.)

sculpting

I've just begun to explore the idea of typing (I'm a Neuroscience major but I've started to become interested in Psychology as well), and I'm trying to decide how to type myself.

I've never been officially tested, but I've mostly scored as ENTP in the basic online tests. However, they score me right on the edge (45/55% or closer), and I notice I have some traits of both personalities:

ENTP-like:
-I Love to argue, and I play devils advocate constantly. I always argue logically, even in the context of relationships, and I pride myself on never raising my voice.
-I'm not sure if this is ENTP, but someone in another thread described this - I'm not confrontational in an uncomfortable situation - I'd rather brush it off, leave and not say anything if I'm offended
-I'm always trying to fix people's problems. When someone cries I'm not always good at comforting them - my first instinct is, what's wrong and how can we fix it, and I'm not so good at the "everything's ok"
-I value competence/skill above all else. I always try to make friends with people who are passionate about something (even if its something weird), and I'm attracted most strongly to people who dedicate themselves to becoming skillful at something, be it sports, arts, etc.
-I'm hypercompetitive. I don't have to win to be happy, but I have to be at my best. I get far more satisfaction out of narrowly losing to someone thats better than me at a sport than I do at beating someone who's worse. I can't stand when people play around and don't take something seriously.

ENFP-like:
-I have a hard time letting go in relationships. This is the one that made me wonder about my type, because supposedly ENTPs are supposed to be good at this? And I'm reaaaally not. I always think everything's my fault, and am always trying to fix a relationship when it's way past fixing.
-I care a lot about the way other people think of me. In every social situation I'm constantly thinking about the way I want to present myself and trying to adapt to that ideal image, and I'm usually very good at it.
-I'm always my happiest when I make other people happy. I love playing host at a party. At my most introverted, I love watching my friends enjoy themselves even if I'm not having a good time.
-I need validation from other people about my talent/charity/etc. If I do something for someone and don't get praise or thanks my first instinct is to worry that I've offended or misread them.

I'd greatly appreciate any ideas or insights! Thanks!

Nick

ENTP without a doubt, albeit with a sweet sense of Fe. See bolded, underlined, highlighted stuff above. Welcome to the clan. I always picture the NT'ers as being down and to the right of this area of the forum for some reason.

Go find onemoretime and make Ti love together!

Jaguar

Thanks for that, my dilemma is less of one now.
And thanks Jag for the quiz that provoked the solution for it

You're welcome.

Ages ago I was in pre-law. The "pop quiz" I posted was the exact question my professor asked me in front of the class.
The speed with which one answers is as revealing as the actual answer itself.

There is no right answer, but there is a right answer for each of us.
Food for thought.

Tzatziki

MBTI Type
ENTP
http://www.cognitiveprocesses.com/assessment/develop_old.html

I don't really think you're an ENFP...I don't see any evidence of Fi over Fe. You just seem to be a very charming ENTP. :)

The cognitive functions test will give you an idea of which exact functions you prefer, instead of just spitting out a MBTT type.

Based on your ranked responses to the 120 phrases...

[gah, can't c/p this, but:

22 bars of Ne (I double checked every single one rofl)
18 bars of Ti
10 bars of Fe
9 bars of Fi
9 bars of Se
2 bars of Si
2 bars of Ni
2 bars of Te

]

Your Possible Type Code
According to the traditional sorting method of finding the most-used functional pairs (such as Fi-Ne), your type might be:

Possible result: ENTP

We are also trying a new sorting method to try to indicate best-fit type. This method is experimental and may not match your type.

BlueFlame

MBTI Type
ENFJ
Enneagram
3w2

We are also trying a new sorting method to try to indicate best-fit type. This method is experimental and may not match your type.

Welcome to the world of Fe/Ti, you crazy ENTP, you. :hi:

hermeticdancer

MBTI Type
eNFp
Enneagram
You are in school right now studying "Neuroscience" but you said you were interested in "Psychology" Neuro, is pretty cerebral, a lot of neurotransmitters flying around, and pons, medullas, synapses, rats, homrones. It's pretty much a thinkers domain.

If you are immersed in that stuff right now (brain science) then it is understandable that your T is strong. I would retest again after you graduate. Or maybe when you feel passionate about something humanistic. My point being, school could be influencing your perceptions of yourself towards T.

BlueFlame

MBTI Type
ENFJ
Enneagram
3w2
You are in school right now studying "Neuroscience" but you said you were interested in "Psychology" Neuro, is pretty cerebral, a lot of neurotransmitters flying around, and pons, medullas, synapses, rats, homrones. It's pretty much a thinkers domain.

If you are immersed in that stuff right now (brain science) then it is understandable that your T is strong. I would retest again after you graduate. Or maybe when you feel passionate about something humanistic. My point being, you could be an ENFP, male is close on the T/F.

Good point.
I was just reading an article on the type of law students before and after (and during, I think) school. When I was working on my degree in Philosophy,my T went through the roof! And then it settled back down to nonexistent :)
Now thar I'm back in school studying a T-oriented subject, my T scores jump back up. BUT, never higher than Fe/Ni, ever.

Shimmy

MBTI Type
SEXY
The caring about what other people think about me and the need of validation are things I've also got.