• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Joining the ISFP doubt bandwagon!

Quinlan

Intriguing....
MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
9w1
Good post Vagrant, definitely think I lean more Fi in the way you have described.

Eric B

ⒺⓉⒷ
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
"The anima and animus in Carl Jung's school of analytical psychology, are the two primary anthropomorphic archetypes of the unconscious mind, as opposed to both the theriomorphic and 'inferior'-function of the shadow archetypes, as well as the abstract symbol sets that formulate the archetype of the Self. The anima and animus are described by Jung as elements of his theory of the collective unconscious, a domain of the unconscious that transcends the personal psyche. In the unconscious of the male, it finds expression as a feminine inner personality: anima; equivalently, in the unconscious of the female, it is expressed as a masculine inner personality: animus.
It can be identified as the totality of the unconscious feminine psychological qualities that a male possesses; or the masculine ones possessed by the female. The anima is an archetype of the collective unconscious and not an aggregate of a man's mother, sisters, aunts, and teachers though these aspects of the personal unconscious can 'contaminate' the archetypes.
The anima is one of the most significant autonomous complexes of all. It manifests itself by appearing as figures in dreams as well as by influencing a man's interactions with women and his attitudes toward them, and vice versa for females and the animus. Jung said that confronting one's shadow self is an "apprentice-piece," while confronting one's anima is the masterpiece. Jung viewed the anima process as being one of the sources of creative ability."

Okay, I would say you are correct about the animus, but it is far more as this quote suggests (actually exactly as this quote suggests... interesting!), most decidedly not an inferior function. I think Te and it's my dad; Fe is my mother-in-law.
I didn't say it was the inferior function; just that it becomes associated with it; this according to Beebe's take on Jung's archetypes.

Walking Tourist

it's tea time!
MBTI Type
esfp
Enneagram
Arrgggh! I took the test twice and I got ENTP two times.
ENTP is so not me!
EDIT: I read the description of ENTP. Although I still disagree with the ENTP typing, I can see that I could possibly possess this personality type. Hmmmm.

Here are the numbers that back up this odd result.
alice's scores on the main set of questions:

Extraversion (E): 13 6: (I) Introversion
Sensing (S): 12 23: (N) iNtuition
Thinking (T): 15 6: (F) Feeling
Judging (J): 2 29: (P) Perceiving

You scored as an ENTP.

Assuming that you are an ENTP,
Your DOMINANT function is Extraverted Intuition.
Your AUXILIARY function is Introverted Thinking.
Your TERTIARY function is Extraverted Feeling.
Your INFERIOR function is Introverted Sensing.

According to the test, if I'm not an ENTP, I could be an ESFJ or an INTP.
Yikes.

Last edited:
B

brainheart

I didn't say it was the inferior function; just that it becomes associated with it; this according to Beebe's take on Jung's archetypes.

Hmm, all right. But when it says in a quote that it is opposed to the shadow, while you say I should look into the inferior functions for clues, can't you see how that would seem a bit contradictory?

I know nothing about this, just the paragraph I quoted from and your comments. But I can tell you the essence of the male within is a compilation of the men through my life who I've related to in literature, film, music, etc, not inferior or opposing forces. There haven't been a lot of women that I've truly related to, so I think that's part of the reason for the presence.

But if they were, hypothetically, the inferior functions, that would mean my inferior functions are, my guess is, something along the lines of Ti or Ne or Se (maybe Fi?), which I highly doubt, especially when I always test basically as high as you can get in the perceiving category.

Arrgggh! I took the test twice and I got ENTP two times.
ENTP is so not me!

That is puzzling. I noticed that you got ENFP on it when you took it before. Have you ever considered yourself to be either one of those types or anything close?

The reason I didn't do a total freak-out on INTP for myself is that that's what I tested the first time I ever took an MBTI test, and I was completely comfortable with that type for a number of months before I started re-taking the tests over and over and reading things which gave me pause (like something along the lines of INTPs having no feelings, and there's no way I could be an INTP because I make art and music and I write fiction, and I actually like nature).

Did you feel like you were being totally honest when you took it? I did, which is kind of rare since I've learned more and more about MBTI (I'll be honest- I always feel like I'm tweaking it a bit to serve my needs.) But this time, I told the straight-up truth.

Now, I know my T/F divide is pretty close... I think that's one of the biggest flaws with MBTI- the range. There isn't a huge disparity between the T and F, but it's enough to have me categorized as a Thinker vs a Feeler. But I guess the divide is still there, regardless. So, according to MBTI, I am an INTP, which basically means that overall I favor my thinking function, but that doesn't mean I don't use my feeling a reasonable amount.

(By the way, I subscribe to the Lenore Thomson view of Jungian typology which puts the cognitive functions for INTP as Ti Ne Fi Se Ni Te Si Fe, making Fe truly the inferior function, as in the least developed. Meanwhile, the Si is still the tertiary. They work in concert when we are feeling trapped due to not using our secondary function in a healthy, productive way. It's a defensive measure we use when we're 'playing it safe'.)

Uh, maybe for you ESFP or ESTP? (Just throwing it out there.)

Walking Tourist

it's tea time!
MBTI Type
esfp
Enneagram
I did the test again (and that's the last time... it's kind of long and outside is beckoning!!!) and I got...
ESFP! It was very borderline on S vs. N and even more so on T vs. F. For some reason, I came out as a really strong extravert, which I kind of doubt, but who knows...
You're right, Brainheart, I could possibly be either ESFP or ESTP. The T/F scores are that close.
I did feel that I was being honest when I answered these questions. I had to go back and redo some of it because I was being too indecisive and saying "no preference" too much.
Oddly enough, the first time I did a Myers-Briggs test, my result was ESTJ. I was given the description of the ESTJ personality and I burst into laughter after reading it and said, "That's not me."
I still don't think that I'm an ESTJ.
The second time, all of my scores were so close that I came out as an XXXX.
These ranges are the most confusing thing...

alice's scores on the main set of questions:

Extraversion (E): 20 0 :(I) Introversion
Sensing (S): 24 20 :(N) iNtuition
Thinking (T): 17 18 :(F) Feeling
Judging (J): 10 33 :(P) Perceiving

You scored as an ESFP.

Assuming that you are an ESFP,
Your DOMINANT function is Extraverted Sensing.
Your AUXILIARY function is Introverted Feeling.
Your TERTIARY function is Extraverted Thinking.
Your INFERIOR function is Introverted Intuition.