• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Type this guy for brownie points?

copperfish17

MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
Cookie points, if you will. :cheese:

(This guy is a teacher of mine by the way - he's a very interesting guy and I'm just curious as to which MBTI type he is.)

1. He's very smart - attended MIT (yes, THE MIT) for both undergrad and grad school. Double major in mechanical engineering and physics, I believe. He is on his way of inventing something (I forget what) and getting a patent for it.

2. Right now he’s doing a lot of teaching as a tutor (he says that he’s an engineer at heart though). I hear that his students find him very likable and funny (including me, of course). ;)

3. He is generally positive and affirming.

4. He has been quite supportive while I was distressed: he cared enough to call me to see how I was doing, and we ended up talking for almost 15 minutes (considering he’s a busy man with lots to do I’m guessing that’s a generous amount of time he’s devoted into comforting me).

On that note, here are some direct quotes from him from various occasions (I tried to be as accurate with the wording as possible):
 “How are you feeling? Besides from your parents overreacting (about your “bad” test score)?”
 “I don’t think I can help much, but I can always listen.”
 “You have my number right? If you ever need to talk, just call me and I’ll listen/we can talk.”
 (When he had to leave in the middle of a consultation because he was “busy” and I said something along the lines of – as a joke – “Okay, I won’t take your time anymore,”):
 “No, I didn’t mean it that way – If you need anything, I’ll be more than happy to help.”

5. He has told me that he not only wants to be my teacher but also hopes to be my mentor – as in he wants help me more than just with my academics (ah, he said it in such a touching way ;)).

6. He seems (albeit I'm not 100% sure) to hold the belief that children should listen to their parents.

7. He’s very polite when he talks to adults (guess that’s one reason why parents love him so much – my mom has gone as far to say, “If he were a just a little bit younger, I would totally get you married to him!”).

8. He has told me that he used to be terribly shy, but went through a huge personality change in college. He says that he enjoys talking to a lot of different kinds of people now.

(BEFORE YOU TYPE HIM AS AN E ALSO CONSIDER:)

9. He seemed to be somewhat taken aback/perhaps slightly amused by hyperactive or obnoxious behaviors.

10. He openly admitted that he didn’t appreciate how some of my classmates were so noisy and easily distracted (he described them as “monkeys” once). On the other hand, he seemed to find them quite amusing at the same time.

11. At a glance, he does NOT quite come off as an extrovert – at least not a strong one.

12. He has high expectations for others AND for himself. He’s obviously very diligent.

13. He doesn’t “dress to impress.” Usually just wears a dull-colored wooly sweater or a simple (polo) t-shirt with jeans.

14. He has a dog named Wall-E. He hates dogs himself, but has deferred to his fiancée’s wish to raise one.

15. He likes little children; he thinks they’re cute.

16. One of his principal moral philosophy (I’m not sure if he would label his sentiment as such however) seems to be: In the end, we (humans) are all the same.

17. He likes to gather some information before making decisions/drawing conclusions.

18. He has mentioned that he didn’t particularly like MIT girls because of their personalities (I could only imagine what the “MIT girls” he speaks of are like. Perhaps he doesn’t find hardheaded girls particularly charming – THAT LAST SENTENCE IS JUST A GUESS ON MY PART).

I seek thy wisdom. :headphne:

PoprocksAndCoke

A Benign Tumor
MBTI Type
ENTP
Cookie points, if you will. :cheese:

(This guy is a teacher of mine by the way - he's a very interesting guy and I'm just curious as to which MBTI type he is.)

1. He's very smart - attended MIT (yes, THE MIT) for both undergrad and grad school. Double major in mechanical engineering and physics, I believe. He is on his way of inventing something (I forget what) and getting a patent for it.

2. Right now he’s doing a lot of teaching as a tutor (he says that he’s an engineer at heart though). I hear that his students find him very likable and funny (including me, of course). ;)

3. He is generally positive and affirming.

4. He has been quite supportive while I was distressed: he cared enough to call me to see how I was doing, and we ended up talking for almost 15 minutes (considering he’s a busy man with lots to do I’m guessing that’s a generous amount of time he’s devoted into comforting me).

On that note, here are some direct quotes from him from various occasions (I tried to be as accurate with the wording as possible):
 “How are you feeling? Besides from your parents overreacting (about your “bad” test score)?”
 “I don’t think I can help much, but I can always listen.”
 “You have my number right? If you ever need to talk, just call me and I’ll listen/we can talk.”
 (When he had to leave in the middle of a consultation because he was “busy” and I said something along the lines of – as a joke – “Okay, I won’t take your time anymore,”):
 “No, I didn’t mean it that way – If you need anything, I’ll be more than happy to help.”

5. He has told me that he not only wants to be my teacher but also hopes to be my mentor – as in he wants help me more than just with my academics (ah, he said it in such a touching way ;)).

6. He seems (albeit I'm not 100% sure) to hold the belief that children should listen to their parents.

7. He’s very polite when he talks to adults (guess that’s one reason why parents love him so much – my mom has gone as far to say, “If he were a just a little bit younger, I would totally get you married to him!”).

8. He has told me that he used to be terribly shy, but went through a huge personality change in college. He says that he enjoys talking to a lot of different kinds of people now.

(BEFORE YOU TYPE HIM AS AN E ALSO CONSIDER:)

9. He seemed to be somewhat taken aback/perhaps slightly amused by hyperactive or obnoxious behaviors.

10. He openly admitted that he didn’t appreciate how some of my classmates were so noisy and easily distracted (he described them as “monkeys” once). On the other hand, he seemed to find them quite amusing at the same time.

11. At a glance, he does NOT quite come off as an extrovert – at least not a strong one.

12. He has high expectations for others AND for himself. He’s obviously very diligent.

13. He doesn’t “dress to impress.” Usually just wears a dull-colored wooly sweater or a simple (polo) t-shirt with jeans.

14. He has a dog named Wall-E. He hates dogs himself, but has deferred to his fiancée’s wish to raise one.

15. He likes little children; he thinks they’re cute.

16. One of his principal moral philosophy (I’m not sure if he would label his sentiment as such however) seems to be: In the end, we (humans) are all the same.

17. He likes to gather some information before making decisions/drawing conclusions.

18. He has mentioned that he didn’t particularly like MIT girls because of their personalities (I could only imagine what the “MIT girls” he speaks of are like. Perhaps he doesn’t find hardheaded girls particularly charming – THAT LAST SENTENCE IS JUST A GUESS ON MY PART).

I seek thy wisdom. :headphne:

That was the first thing I saw, I'm a little scared now...but INFJ.

the killer potatoe

MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w6
I'm guessing he's gonna be a slight E/I he sounds like he may at one time have been an I but has become more extroverted through time. Probably an S, again slight though, being a teacher tends to ground you more, but inventers need to think about "what could be." Probably a strong T, though I am only guessing at this, and if he's a teacher then he's most likely a J type.

So quick answer, I think he's an ISTJ.

simulatedworld

Freshman Member
MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
7w6
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
I'm guessing he's gonna be a slight E/I he sounds like he may at one time have been an I but has become more extroverted through time. Probably an S, again slight though, being a teacher tends to ground you more, but inventers need to think about "what could be." Probably a strong T, though I am only guessing at this, and if he's a teacher then he's most likely a J type.

So quick answer, I think he's an ISTJ.

Your justifications for S, T and J don't seem to make much sense.

You seem to have declared him an SJ because he's a teacher, which is kind of strange. Lots of professors are absent-minded NPs. And you don't seem to have offered any explanation for "probably a strong T", either.

To OP:

In your description you've really emphasized strong Fe more than anything. I'm gonna guess INFJ, but note that the answers will come out biased if you haven't offered a balanced representation of his personality with your description.

Oaky

Travelling mind
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
I would think INFJ.