• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

An INFTJP...?

jackandthebeast

MBTI Type
IXFX
Enneagram
tert
You said you were also close to the border on E and I. I was wondering if you could post a video of yourself, talking about whatever interests you, for observational purposes.
Also, if you identify as an INXX, you shouldn't feel required to impose an arbitrary label on yourself by choosing a single type. I myself identify as IXFX because anything else would be an inaccurate representation of me. I know the majority of the people on this board don't subscribe to the theory of subtypes, but feel free to contest the single type model if you don't feel it represents you.
If you want to talk more about the possibility of subtypes, send me a message. :cheese:

Also, I'm fairly certain Russell Brand is an INXX, for reference.

simulatedworld

Freshman Member
MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
7w6
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
^ The above post is all sorts of inaccurate, and its author is INFP. :)

He's too feely for an intj. Plus that thing about thinking about being a priest, and about how relationship issues really bother............infj, I'd say.

Ok, maybe. I guess the stuff about duty to his family and friends and so on could be Fe.

To OP:

Do you have a strong sense of social and cultural standards in your community? Is it important to you to integrate into the standards your community holds up as high values?

WindUpBird

MBTI Type
INxx
You said you were also close to the border on E and I. I was wondering if you could post a video of yourself, talking about whatever interests you, for observational purposes.
Also, if you identify as an INXX, you shouldn't feel required to impose an arbitrary label on yourself by choosing a single type. I myself identify as IXFX because anything else would be an inaccurate representation of me. I know the majority of the people on this board don't subscribe to the theory of subtypes, but feel free to contest the single type model if you don't feel it represents you.
If you want to talk more about the possibility of subtypes, send me a message. :cheese:

Also, I'm fairly certain Russell Brand is an INXX, for reference.

Yeah, my best guess is that I'm in between INFJ and INTP, leaning more toward INFJ.

^ The above post is all sorts of inaccurate, and its author is INFP. :)

Ok, maybe. I guess the stuff about duty to his family and friends and so on could be Fe.

To OP:

Do you have a strong sense of social and cultural standards in your community? Is it important to you to integrate into the standards your community holds up as high values?

No, I actually really have almost no sense of a community as I never was raised in one; my entire life I've been a bit of an outsider because I moved 14 times before I turned 18.

I also don't have such a strong sense of cultural standards... when I'm abroad, I assimilate relatively easily to the new culture. Probably also a product of living all over the place.

simulatedworld

Freshman Member
MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
7w6
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
I also don't have such a strong sense of cultural standards... when I'm abroad, I assimilate relatively easily to the new culture. Probably also a product of living all over the place.

Well, this doesn't sound very Fe (which is the preferred feeling function of both INFJ and INTP--though it's a much bigger priority for INFJs.)

Which of these resonates more with you? Note that Fe is more aware of how its actions affect others/the environment, while Fi is more aware of how the environment affects and interacts with our own personal feelings and values.

Lenore Thomson Exegesis Wiki said:
Extraverted Feeling is the attitude of viewing everything in terms of what role it defines for people to play in regard to each other. When you say "How are you?" to someone, you are playing a role. It's a role that is intrinsically connected to other people's social roles; you can't play it by yourself. When the other person says, "Oh, not too bad. How about yourself?", they are playing out the complementary role. From an Fe perspective, by definition, every act is a declaration of what role you would like to play in the social setting.

Lenore Thomson Exegesis Wiki said:
Introverted Feeling (Fi) is the attitude of judging things good or bad based on how they harmonize or clash with a living being's inner essence. That inner essence or soul, and how things in the environment get along with it or conflict with it, is knowable only first-hand--ultimately, only by that soul. It is known by attending to one's own emotions in response to things. What you like is good--for you, not necessarily good for others. What you don't like is bad--for you, not necessarily bad for others. Anything outside your own soul is irrelevant to evaluating anything or choosing your course in life.

heart

heart on fire
* I can argue for hours about theology or moral issues; I guess I'm a little inflexible on those.

* A result of my snap judgments of peoples' characters is that I often write people off before getting to know them deeply (though again, I'm usually right).

* I feel a need to be the best in my fields of interest and so I sometimes feel jealous of and dislike people that do better than me.

* I'm a spelling freak and grammar Nazi (though I make mistakes sometimes too)

* I often look for flaws in other people and blame those when we have minor conflicts.

INFJ

I couldn't care less about all these things you bring up here but my INFJ husband does. I can't debate well verbally. In my offline life, I don't debate for kicks, it's too draining. I am too busy trying to keep my own act together than keep some running scoreboard on spelling and grammar. when I have conflict with others, I am always sure it is some misunderstanding between us and that it can be solved through negotiation--until it is proven to me to be otherwise or the person seems opposed to working things out.

WindUpBird

MBTI Type
INxx
Well, this doesn't sound very Fe (which is the preferred feeling function of both INFJ and INTP--though it's a much bigger priority for INFJs.)

Which of these resonates more with you? Note that Fe is more aware of how its actions affect others/the environment, while Fi is more aware of how the environment affects and interacts with our own personal feelings and values.

Thanks, that was actually really helpful. I understand and sympthize with the first view, and strongly disagree with the second. I guess I'm more feeling after all.

simulatedworld

Freshman Member
MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
7w6
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
Thanks, that was actually really helpful. I understand and sympthize with the first view, and strongly disagree with the second. I guess I'm more feeling after all.

Yeah in that case I'll have to agree with the other people in the thread and say INFJ.

entropie

Permabanned
MBTI Type
entp
Enneagram
INFJs are always T.

If they try to be p tho it becomes ridicoulus.

best way to test it tell them that joke: "Comes a black guy with a parrot in a bar. Asks the barkeeper: "Where did you get that from ?" Says the parrot: "From Africa""

If they dont laugh about it they are infj, if they laugh about it they are infp or in love with you. If they counterattack ur joke with another joke they are T and if they told the joke they are p.

AphroditeGoneAwry

failure to thrive
MBTI Type
INfj
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
INFJs are always T.

best way to test it tell them that joke: "Comes a black guy with a parrot in a bar. Asks the barkeeper: "Where did you get that from ?" Says the parrot: "From Africa""

If they dont laugh about it they are infj, if they laugh about it they are infp or in love with you. If they counterattack ur joke with another joke they are T and if they told the joke they are p.

What if you LOL hard but you're no infp? :wubbie:

nightning

ish red no longer *sad*
MBTI Type
INfj
INFJs are always T.

LIES entropie, all lies! :D

But damn it that worked...

entropie

Permabanned
MBTI Type
entp
Enneagram
You know what I think of you. I'ld catch you and hold you in my arms and then I'ld take you till there is no tomorrow.

I could have said that in perfect understandable english aswell, but I dont want to, I dont need to.

there is this sly thing with night, why I cant never talk to her; she does understand. Tho she sometimes can come into the danger of being VERY mean to other people, one has to know she's a F and they just can do that when they are pissed. I though, and to say it in perfect english, think in no way that our love if it would have happened in another dimension would be any less powerful than the humans who defeated the Borg:

[YOUTUBE="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kUWyAtqdwzc"].[/YOUTUBE]

purplesunset

Enneagram
4w5
Windupbird: I'm in the same boat. I'm like a perfect hybrid between an INTJ and an INFP. And have elements of INTP's and INFJ's.

Solution: Call yourself an INXX and...

--- blame Myers/Briggs (evil bastards grrr...:steam:) for the unfortunate decision of introducing a new dichotomy called Perceiving/Judging. For some reason, P has come to mean messy/flaky, while J has come to mean orderly/dependable in popular culture.

Originally, all P really meant is that you relate to the outside world with a perceiving function (S/N). and all J really meant is that you relate to the outside world with a judging function (F/T).

--- also blame it on the confusion between what the i or e means in functions theory e.g. Fi, Ne, Ti, Se etc.

Shameless (ok, I'm not really ashamed) advertising: I am soon going to start a thread which attempts to explain the origin of all these confusions, and by fleshing this out, hopefully, that would help to clear them up or at least point the way to clearing them up.

simulatedworld

Freshman Member
MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
7w6
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
Windupbird: I'm in the same boat. I'm like a perfect hybrid between an INTJ and an INFP.

Nope, just an INFP struggling with inferior Te tendencies. (Prediction: My claim that you're not "a perfect hybrid" will come off as an insult to your unique individuality. Am I right?)

I wonder if it's a coincidence that the people who most frequently cling to being "borderline" or "hybrid types" and insist that they are things like INxx or IxFx long after receiving numerous explanations to the contrary are almost always INFPs. Why do you suppose that is?

Do you guys decide you aren't INFP because you read one thing in an INFP profile that didn't fit you? I mean seriously, what is it with the X types?

Andy

Supreme High Commander
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w6
I think this is the best way to sum up my motivation. I'm motivated to achieve my full potential in my roles in life, namely to exceed in my field of work, be an excellent friend, spouse, and father, and to pursue my interests in music and art. All this is framed within a strict moral framework and a religious worldview.

I'm most interested in differences between people and how and why they perceive things the way they do. This and a love of adventure and new experiences have shaped my ambitions. I want my career to influence people and/or the world for the better, as well as be exciting and test my abilities.

Things that get me worked up, and flaws...

* I can argue for hours about theology or moral issues; I guess I'm a little inflexible on those.

* A result of my snap judgments of peoples' characters is that I often write people off before getting to know them deeply (though again, I'm usually right).

* I feel a need to be the best in my fields of interest and so I sometimes feel jealous of and dislike people that do better than me.

* I often look for flaws in other people and blame those when we have minor conflicts.

Also, to the man who claimed I was quoting Mark Twain in Chinese...

一位著名人说的话。
-Mark Twain

That would be quoting him as saying something in Chinese. Compare it with my signature. Note the subtle difference. Thank me for the free lesson. ; )

Thank you. Holding lots of opinions is a good sign of a primary judging function, particulary an introverted one. I agree with Simulatedworld about the Fi. I'm also going to add that I think it is primary, which would make you either an ISFP or an INFP.

I'm leaning toward ISFP for several reasons - your love of music and the arts, being adventrous (I take it we are talking about physical experience here, rather than just tying lots of new intellectual topics). And also your references to being interested in peoples perceptions, which sounds rather Ni, which is the ISFPs tertiary function.

purplesunset

Enneagram
4w5
Nope, just an INFP struggling with inferior Te tendencies. (Prediction: My claim that you're not "a perfect hybrid" will come off as an insult to your unique individuality. Am I right?)

I wonder if it's a coincidence that the people who most frequently cling to being "borderline" or "hybrid types" and insist that they are things like INxx or IxFx long after receiving numerous explanations to the contrary are almost always INFPs. Why do you suppose that is?

Do you guys decide you aren't INFP because you read one thing in an INFP profile that didn't fit you? I mean seriously, what is it with the X types?

Ha ha. I admit freely that I have a lot to learn, but I know more than you give me credit for.

Personally, my X'ness comes about as a result of my functions use, and this, in turn has an effect on how my traits turn out.

There is a relationship between functions and traits, and a more balanced use of functions could lead to ambiguity in the traits.

In terms of function use, I'm

Ni dominant

Te (Ne) (leads to ambiguity in P/J trait)

Fi (Ti) (leads to ambiguity in F/T trait)

Se inferior

The brackets indicate that in specific contexts, I use those other functions and do so comfortably.

In specific external contexts, I perceive instead of judge,and feel equally comfortable doing either.

Of course, EVERYONE can use both functions in a certain position, but in the case of people who are INXX's, it could be that the contexts in which we use one function over the other are very clear, don't overlap, and we feel equally comfortable using either one in its respective context.

You could call it unhealthy, or balanced depending on if you want MBTI to be prescriptive or descriptive.

But the fact is, MBTI doesn't account very well for nuanced, context-based, use of the functions.

A prescriptive interpretation of MBTI simplifies all this, and says, "you must use one function more often than the other, and you must feel more comfortable using one function over the other, so tick that one off."

I won't deny that in some cases, people are indecisive due to ignorance of themselves, but this is not true in all cases. On the contrary, it could be that we are well aware of how comfortable we are using certain functions, and the specific contexts in which we use those functions.

Since functions effect traits, a micro-level balance in function use, could in turn lead to a macro-level ambiguity in traits. :)

------------------------------------------------

Your snide comment about me wanting to be a special snowflake was in bad taste and does not apply to me.

Again, why the condescension? I already know that just because a theory doesn't apply to a situation in all its specifics, doesn't mean we should entirely discard the theory. We can refine the theory, build on it, or add a disclaimer to the end of it, but we shouldn't just throw it away entirely.

-------------------------------------------------

Your problem is that you are being patronizing and not giving people enough credit when it comes to knowing themselves.

-------------------------------------------------

*sigh* Oh why do I notice flaws in my own posts when clearly I am the only person who notices/cares about them?

The position of the Ti above doesn't make any sense if that is meant to represent the tertiary position. However, the Ti is not meant to represent tertiary, I only put it there to show that in terms of frequency of use, and level of comfort, Ti and Fi are equal for me.

-----------------------------------------------------

Anyway, this is all just fun for me, so I apologize if it annoys or confuses anyone else. When I make long posts like this, it's like the cum that my brain squirts out after prolonged thinking (aka intellectual masturbation). :ohmy:

Rebe

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
4sop

I am INFP and do all of those things, espescially the snap judgement, flaws in other people, needing to Excel in my field of interest. I study people who are competent/ambitious/influential as a hobby actually. I am not a Nazi about grammar/spelling, but it really bothers me when people spell things wrong or use fragments or when texting change the proper form of a word.

simulatedworld

Freshman Member
MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
7w6
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
Ha ha. I admit freely that I have a lot to learn, but I know more than you give me credit for.

Personally, my X'ness comes about as a result of my functions use, and this, in turn has an effect on how my traits turn out.

There is a relationship between functions and traits, and a more balanced use of functions could lead to ambiguity in the traits.

The function order you just listed is most characteristic of INTJ. I know you won't believe me, but I expect you probably have some misconceptions about the functional definitions that cause you to read yourself as using a bizarre functional mix/coming out as a hybrid type.

I'll drop it though because there's zero chance of me convincing you of that.