• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

ESFJ or an ESTJ?

haag261390

I took a few tests and I always come up as an ESTJ more often than ESFJ. I read into both profiles and taken from what both profiles have to say, I can relate to both equally. I'm aware that tests can't determine what your type is and I've been looking for a precise answer whether I'm actually an ESFJ or an ESTJ. I also took a functions test and tested as an ISTJ with a high extraverted thinking and a high extraverted feeling. I will list a few descriptions here to help.

1. I'm outgoing. I love to spend my weekends outside with a couple of friends and feel rejuvenated after wards.

• I love meeting new people and being friendly.

• in terms of decision making, it's weighing out the good and the bad and make a decision based on what will benefit us more on the long run with more of what's good than the bad.

• I protect a lot of my friends who aren't being wise in their decision making. I step into the picture and actually get them the help that they need and assure that It's done the way I want it done. For example, making a compromise to me that they will stick with whats given and go with it(it being my help)

• In class, I don't like to raise my hands and participate, fearing that I might be wrong and then corrected right after. I like to win in debates than lose.

• I'm slow in showing empathy. I can't tell whether a person is upset or not unless they tell me straight to the point that they are upset with a reason why so I can understand the whole picture why they're upset.

• I always have a hard time expressing how I feel completely. I can tell it from parts to parts, but other than that, It's always hard for me to express my feelings. I can move on and get past the relationship after it ended.

• when a person already finalized to meet with me at a certain time, It's finalized. Being late isn't an excuse unless they have a good reason. But I would still hold a grudge against them for being late and end it with "Well, don't be late next time."

I'm not at all aggressive. I can be harsh, given by the situation and there's an argument going on. I'm very competitive and always strive to win. I don't think highly of myself, I think of everyone as equal. When I see someone struggling or need help, I rush to them without a delay and give them a helping hand. I like to laugh and smile a lot with my friends even though I might have a hard time with facial expressions in any given situations. My best friend says I'm a sweet person but definitely a workaholic, what needs to be done has to be done. I'm almost always serious. I don't like jokes but I'm very playful. I like to laugh and make my day a fun one than a boring one. I love having fun and I always want to be out of the house! I'm not exactly a party person. I've never been interested in partying.

Could anyone give me any insights on this?

thank you!

Fecal McAngry

I took a few tests and I always come up as an ESTJ more often than ESFJ. I read into both profiles and taken from what both profiles have to say, I can relate to both equally. I'm aware that tests can't determine what your type is and I've been looking for a precise answer whether I'm actually an ESFJ or an ESTJ. I also took a functions test and tested as an ISTJ with a high extraverted thinking and a high extraverted feeling. I will list a few descriptions here to help.

1. I'm outgoing. I love to spend my weekends outside with a couple of friends and feel rejuvenated after wards.

• I love meeting new people and being friendly.

• in terms of decision making, it's weighing out the good and the bad and make a decision based on what will benefit us more on the long run with more of what's good than the bad.

• I protect a lot of my friends who aren't being wise in their decision making. I step into the picture and actually get them the help that they need and assure that It's done the way I want it done. For example, making a compromise to me that they will stick with whats given and go with it(it being my help)

• In class, I don't like to raise my hands and participate, fearing that I might be wrong and then corrected right after. I like to win in debates than lose.

• I'm slow in showing empathy. I can't tell whether a person is upset or not unless they tell me straight to the point that they are upset with a reason why so I can understand the whole picture why they're upset.

• I always have a hard time expressing how I feel completely. I can tell it from parts to parts, but other than that, It's always hard for me to express my feelings.

• when a person already finalized to meet with me at a certain time, It's finalized. Being late isn't an excuse unless they have a good reason. But I would still hold a grudge against them for being late and end it with "Well, don't be late next time."

I'm not at all aggressive but I'm very competitive and always strive to win. I don't think highly of myself, I think of everyone as equal. When I see someone struggling or need help, I rush to them without a delay and give them a helping hand. I like to laugh and smile a lot with my friends even though I might have a hard time with facial expressions in any given situations. My best friend says I'm a sweet person but definitely a workaholic, what needs to be done has to be done. I'm almost always serious. I don't like jokes but I'm very playful. I like to laugh and make my day a fun one than a boring one. I love having fun and I always want to be out of the house! I'm not exactly a party person. I've never been interested in partying.

Could anyone give me any insights on this?

thank you!

Certainly STJ, and almost certainly ESTJ rather than ISTJ.

21%

You have a choice!
MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
4w5
You sound more ESTJ than ESFJ to me :)

Tycho

MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
4w5
In my experience it's more easy for Te users to show Fe-ish behaviour than vice versa.

Jung notes that Fe-users can think, but they can't think what they can't feel. They're capable of making a logical analysis but if the outcome would disturb their feelings they're not likely to follow trough on that thought.. They tend to think "it feels good, so it must be good."

ESFJ's risk to become hollow as their main desire is to have a good feeling contact with their surroundings. To me, you don't seem that way.

Te-users do care more about truth. ESTJ's can have a big desire to be a part of the world and towards this end, they want to embrace the common social norms; and the common social norm is 'be an extravert, social, fun-loving person'. They want to use Fe to show their logical approval or disapproval of people and situations without coming of as aloof.

haag261390

My F and T seems to be fairly balanced. Is this possible? Another is, I get along with Feelers more than I do with Thinkers. Could this attribute to my personality type?

My dad's an ISTJ and we're both quiet whenever we're put with each other side by side. I have nothing to say and he has nothing to say. Which leaves us both speechless.

I get along with ENFJs for the most part. I wouldn't say I get along better with ISFPs, it depends. A lot of arguments going on and a lot of disagreements as far as a close relationship with an ISFP goes.

Bottom line is, is having a preference for Feelers and getting along with them determine what your personality type is also?

BlackCat

Shaman
MBTI Type
ESFP
Enneagram
9w8
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Here are some links for you-

ESTJ- ESTJ - On A Team
ESTJ

ESFJ- ESFJ - On A Team
ESFJ

ESFJs and ESTJs have two different interaction types. ESTJ's is in charge, ESFJ's is get things going-

In Charge-

The theme is getting things accomplished through people. People of this style are focused on results, often taking action quickly. They often have a driving energy with an intention to lead a group to the goal. They make decisions quickly to keep themselves and others on task, on target, and on time. They hate wasting time and having to back track. Mentoring, executing actions, supervising, and mobilizing resources are all ways they get things accomplished. They notice right away what is not working in a situation and become painfully aware of what needs to be fixed, healed, or corrected.

How this relates to ESTJ-

Talent for bringing order to chaotic situations. Educating themselves. Industrious, work-hard attitude. Balance work with play. Having a philosophy of life. Having the steps to success. Keeping up traditions. Being well balanced. Connecting their wealth of life experiences. Often disappointed when perfectionistic standards for economy and quality are not met.

=============================================

Get Things Going-

The theme is persuading and involving others. They thrive in facilitator or catalyst roles and aim to inspire others to move to action, facilitating the process. Their focus is on interaction, often with an expressive style. They Get-Things-Going™ with upbeat energy, enthusiasm, or excitement, which can be contagious. Exploring options and possibilities, making preparations, discovering new ideas, and sharing insights are all ways they get people moving along. They want decisions to be participative and enthusiastic, with everyone involved and engaged.

How this relates to ESFJ-

Accepting and helping others. Managing people. Hearing people out. Voicing concerns and accommodating needs. Admire the success of others. Remember what’s important. Talented at providing others with what they need. Keep things pleasant. Maintaining a sense of continuity. Accounting for the costs. Often disappointed by entrepreneurial projects.

Source- Best-Fit Type : Exploring the Multiple Models of Personality Type

ESFJs have Extroverted Feeling as a leading process. Here's a short definition of it-

Extraverted Feeling: Connecting; considering others and the group—organizing to meet their needs and honor their values and feelings; maintaining societal, organizational, or group values; adjusting to and accommodating others; deciding if something is appropriate or acceptable to others. Considering what would be appropriate for the situation: “One should or shouldn’t wear…” or “People will think…”

ESTJs have Extroverted Thinking as a leading dominant process, here's that definiton-

Extraverted Thinking: Segmenting; organizing for efficiency; systematizing; applying logic; structuring; checking for consequences; monitoring for standards or specifications being met; setting boundaries, guidelines, and parameters; deciding if something is working or not. Sorting out different colors and styles; thinking about the consequences, as in “Since I have to stand all day…”

Jaguar

in terms of decision making, it's weighing out the good and the bad and make a decision based on what will benefit us more on the long run with more of what's good than the bad.

The answer is right there. ^^
That is not Te talking, it's Fe.

haag261390

The answer is right there. ^^
That is not Te talking, it's Fe.

are you telling me laying out the pros and cons in a situation is an extraverted feeling function?

I wonder how it relates to it. I'm not including anyone in my decision making. I'm more focused on what's laid out and its pros and cons and decide whether or not it's acceptable or not.

Fecal McAngry

are you telling me laying out the pros and cons in a situation is an extraverted feeling function?

I wonder how it relates to it. I'm not including anyone in my decision making. I'm more focused on what's laid out and its pros and cons and decide whether or not it's acceptable or not.

I disagree with the previous poster. On what basis do you make decisions? If it is primarily on objective/impersonal information, that's Te. If it is primarily on how it will make others feel, how they will react, social standards, that's Fe. If you are female and are uncertain whether you are an ESTJ or an ESFJ, you are probably an ESTJ simply because cultural conditioning favors F females and T males...

miss fortune

not to be trusted
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
my best advice is always to ask "who do you identify with more when you meet them or read things by them?"

I may give terrible advice :D

haag261390

I disagree with the previous poster. On what basis do you make decisions? If it is primarily on objective/impersonal information, that's Te. If it is primarily on how it will make others feel, how they will react, social standards, that's Fe. If you are female and are uncertain whether you are an ESTJ or an ESFJ, you are probably an ESTJ simply because cultural conditioning favors F females and T males...

how I make decisions does not affect people. I don't think about people or how my decision will affect other people emotionally. I focus on the issue and coming up with a conclusion and finalize a decision. ESTJ sums up my personality when I was given a various different links which compared both ESFJ and ESTJ.

ESFJ still sounds a lot like me though. :shock:

Anyway, I appreciate the help everyone. Thank you!

ChocolateMoose123

Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I know both types very well IRL and I think they are very different. This is how I see each type.

ESFJ's always seem to put themselves last and often put themselves in a position of overloading themselves with responsibility. They like to be relied upon. They'll often complain about this but feel compelled to keep a killing pace. They make decisions that try to benefit everyone. They really do think of how other people will feel and they don't like to let anyone down or disappoint them. They try to include everyone. ESFJ's will be the one talking to the quietest person in a group because they want to make sure they feel included.

ESTJ's are goal oriented. They are comfortable making tough or unpopular decisions and stand by their decisions even in the face of opposition. They have a strong sense of right and wrong. ESTJ's rarely verbalize their feelings and have a very hard time doing so and will rarely complain. They are very good at organizing their time and filling it. They are dependable and punctual and take their responsibilities seriously. They look for what needs to be done and they do it and are less likely than ESFJ's to worry about how the decision affects others.

eldarwen

I am personally acquainted with both ESFJs and ESTJs, and would like to chime in on the above post.

ESTJs tend to make decisions along the axis of right vs wrong.

ESFJs tend to make decisions along the axis of good vs bad.

oxymoron

My Take:
ESTJs dont let critiscm get to them, are more thick skinned
ESTJs dont need to know "where they are in the relationship" and how the other feels about them.

ESFJs do take critiscm and conflict more personally and are more bothered by it.
ESFJs like to know how the other feels about them in a more emotional level

Hope this helps!

Venom

Babylon Candle
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
1w9
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I get along with ENFJs for the most part. I wouldn't say I get along better with ISFPs, it depends. A lot of arguments going on and a lot of disagreements as far as a close relationship with an ISFP goes.

I get along very well with ESTJs. I only get along with male ESFJs in a superficial sense. I cannot stand female ESFJs at all. So if you're a chick...then maybe you're ESTJ???

I know both types very well IRL and I think they are very different. This is how I see each type.

ESFJ's always seem to put themselves last and often put themselves in a position of overloading themselves with responsibility. They like to be relied upon. They'll often complain about this but feel compelled to keep a killing pace. They make decisions that try to benefit everyone. They really do think of how other people will feel and they don't like to let anyone down or disappoint them. They try to include everyone. ESFJ's will be the one talking to the quietest person in a group because they want to make sure they feel included.

ESTJ's are goal oriented. They are comfortable making tough or unpopular decisions and stand by their decisions even in the face of opposition. They have a strong sense of right and wrong. ESTJ's rarely verbalize their feelings and have a very hard time doing so and will rarely complain. They are very good at organizing their time and filling it. They are dependable and punctual and take their responsibilities seriously. They look for what needs to be done and they do it and are less likely than ESFJ's to worry about how the decision affects others.

This sounds more like enneagram stuff leaking through. Loosely, you've described ennea 1 for ESTJ and ennea 2 for ESFJ. These arent horrible stereotypes. However, I think using the interaction styles is a better stereotype for pure type. Even better than that is the Inclusion, Control, Affection with the humors and then simply "converting" back to MBTI.

In short, the main difference I see is that ESTJs like being in charge regardless (even if everything is already working fine without them, they want to be in charge), and the ESFJs reluctantly end up in charge (if people all just acted like an ESFJs expects them to, then the ESFJ would spend their time just being a "get things going person").

Miss piggy is the classic example of ESTJ vs ESFJ. She is an In charge mo-fo (ESTJ). I dont care what any idiot says about her being ESFJ....