• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

I'd like to get this figured out once and for all...

MBTI Type
INFP
I really want to confirm my type. It's kind of up in the air. Or, maybe I'm just questioning things too much. Anywhoo, several MBTI tests have typed me as either ISFP, INFP, or INTP, although mostly the first. My enneagram is 4w5 according to a great test I found (4 as strongest, 5 as second strongest is 4w5, right? I've read up on 4w5 and it seems to match me very well).

I'm an introvert.

Let's start with that which I can confirm with confidence. I'm fairly certain I am, in fact, an introvert. I'm more comfortable alone than in a group. Certain people are cool to hang around, but if I don't connect with somebody, find said person to be annoying, or feel that said person is a waste of time/un-wise, I'd really rather not dedicate my resources or energy on that person. I'll rarely be mean or blatantly ignore the person because I feel like I should be polite, but I certainly will avoid associating with such people. My good friends mean the world to me, but my world is not my
friends.

(I think) I am Fi.

I live in a swirling vortex of internal emotions. I'm always feeling some emotion at every single moment of my life. Some are strong, some are weak, some are positive, some are negative. But they're constantly morphing and changing, coming in waves much like the tide.

I feel compassion for other people, and I can often empathize with others. I often find myself empathizing with those whom society usually doesn't. My emotions seem to be connected to my perceptions, which, from my readings, seems to line up with the whole Fi thing.

I am Si.

I know for a fact that somewhere in my list of functions, Si lingers. I've read that Si is very nostalgic, and that describes me perfectly. I look back at snapshots of my life and with those thoughts come waves of emotions. I remember fields, lawns, buildings, rooms, sounds, even certain frequencies...anything that becomes associated with any emotionally significant moment in my life is like a cue. If I hear that same special pitch, I remember exactly when and where I heard it on that fateful day. When I drive along the river by my local university, I remember that one night when I smoked with my friends down by the river, at 2 AM. I remember who was there, what we talked about...you get it. I like thinking about the past, because with it comes all the emotions and thoughts that permeated my consciousness at that same moment in time.

I'm listening to "What's My Age Again" by Blink-182 as I write this post. I remember the most memorable time I ever heard this song. I was with my friend, riding shottie in his car as we drove down a 55 mph highway. I remember singing along to the second verse and chorus when we were stopped at a red light. It was late, probably 2 or 3 AM. I could tell you the very crossroads we were at. As I think of this, I feel the same wave of affection and friendship that I felt as I listened to this song with him.

I'm not sure if this falls under the category of Si, but I have essentially perfect grammar, punctuation, and spelling. If someone gives me an essay and asks me to fix the mistakes within, I consider that child's play. Even if I don't know exactly how to spell a word, I know when it is wrong. Again, I'm not sure if this qualifies as Si, but I figured it may since I've noticed similarities between the way I process writing and other "patterns" that seem to be associated with Si. I don't think I have a photographic memory, but I definitely have a "copy and paste" type of mind. If I can't recite the line back to you, I can probably compare it with another version and see if they match up.

After reading a post (http://www.typologycentral.com/forums/nf-idyllic/2934-extraverted-sensing-se-vs-si.html#post86661) describing differences between Si and Se, I would definitely say that for me, Si > Se. I think I'm Se-tarded some days...some days I feel like my senses are being overloaded or something. I often feel in a daze, like the world is just rushing by me. I don't know if this is attributed to my depression or not, but I've noticed this even on good days, so I'm thinking they might be independent of one another.

N or S as primary?

My hardest question is that of intuition versus sensing. I have traits that can be attributed to both.

I like logical, down-to-earth approaches to problems. At the same time, I like to ponder the abstract.

I consider myself to be quite intuitive when it comes to practical applications. There are plenty of times where I can automatically connect the dots from A->B in my mind, but other times I worry about making the line straight as an arrow.

I have always anticipated upcoming events with a certain amount of anxiety and uncertainty, for as long as I can remember. If I understand correctly, this is a sign of iNtuitive properties? Specifically, Ne?

I hear sensors sometimes dress well? While I am aware of what I put on in the morning, there's a certain element of I-don't-give-a-damn. All the same, I really like it when S girls wear clothes that aren't exactly the standard of modern fashion. Oftentimes their color choices are very invigorating and sometimes quite attractive.

Any help on this would be greatly appreciated. This question has been gnawing at me ever since I found out about Meyers-Briggs. Out of all the ways to classify people, MBTI really is a fantastic system. It's taught me so much about myself as well as the rest of humanity, I'm just dying to get some confirmation on this stuff. Especially on whether N or S is the stronger of my functions...

21%

You have a choice!
MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
4w5
Do you suffer from indecision because your thoughts just branch out indefinitely and there are just so many possibilities and outcomes to consider? Are you just so lost in your own thoughts sometimes?

^ If you relate to these, you could be an INFP :)

(And I thought ISFP used Se, not Si?)

fireandwater

MBTI Type
enfp
I think you are an INFP, from your description. Nostalgia, skill with words, interest in abstract thoughts, tendency toward anxiety, all seem very much like both the descriptions I've read and the friends I have who are INFP, more so than the ISFP. You could read the Keirsey please understand me books or the website and check out the differences between SP Artisan types and NF Idealist types, too. Which quadrant you fit in would indicate which one you are.

MBTI Type
INFP
Do you suffer from indecision because your thoughts just branch out indefinitely and there are just so many possibilities and outcomes to consider?

:yes:

Are you just so lost in your own thoughts sometimes?

Yes...but isn't this something that all types share in common? Or, at least those with half a brain (or half an imagination)?

(And I thought ISFP used Se, not Si?)

You're exactly correct. After reading the aforementioned post (http://www.typologycentral.com/forums/nf-idyllic/2934-extraverted-sensing-se-vs-si.html#post86661) regarding Se versus Si, and relating far more to Si, I really began to question things.

You could read the Keirsey please understand me books or the website and check out the differences between SP Artisan types and NF Idealist types, too. Which quadrant you fit in would indicate which one you are.

I've done the latter many a time, believe you me. :) I relate to both in different ways. Honestly, I'd say I click with the NF personalities demonstrated on this forum better than with SP personalities. NFs seem to have a deeper well of emotions...I could be wrong, though.

I really, really am looking forward to reading Keirsey's book. Hopefully it clears things up a bit.

One thing I did read that makes me think I am, in fact, an ISFP, is that the tertiary function is either "on or off." The tertiary function for me, if I truly am an ISFP, would be extroverted intuition. I have noticed that when my N side is engaged, it is very boolean -- 1 or 0, on or off. I'm not sure how good of an indicator this is, though.

And honestly, smoking marijuana has distorted my ability to read my type. Spending months and months of my life continuously high sent me into a world of intuition. It was like swimming through a world of ideas every second of my life. I know that my past lifestyle certainly has increased my intuitive side even while sober (as I am now). I think I've said this before on this forum, but marijuana really seems to strengthen and polish all the 4 MBTI functions...

Thank you to the both of you.

StrappingYoungLad

MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
9w8
One thing I did read that makes me think I am, in fact, an ISFP, is that the tertiary function is either "on or off." The tertiary function for me, if I truly am an ISFP, would be extroverted intuition. I have noticed that when my N side is engaged, it is very boolean -- 1 or 0, on or off. I'm not sure how good of an indicator this is, though.

ISFP's in MBTI have tertiary introverted intuition.
The boolean stuff must be Te (or Fi-Te pair) at work, it can't be an intuition process because intuition functions are not judging functions.

MBTI Type
INFP
ISFP's in MBTI have tertiary introverted intuition.
The boolean stuff must be Te (or Fi-Te pair) at work, it can't be an intuition process because intuition functions are not judging functions.

Thanks for explaining that! Good to know. From what I said, do you suspect ISFP or something else?

By the way, your username and avatar are both fantastic, each in their own way.