• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Ugghh... What's My Type?

What's my Type?

• INFP

Votes: 12 42.9%
  • INFJ

Votes: 7 25.0%
  • INTJ

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • ISFP

Votes: 1 3.6%
  • INTP

Votes: 4 14.3%
  • Someting Else

Votes: 4 14.3%

• Total voters
G

Ginkgo

Ok, well... I thought I was an INFP. So, for me this becomes a matter of determining what my innate behaviors are. Fi makes sense to me in terms of personal ethics, but so does Fe. We can't grasp an ethic without an external threshold, even if we are learning personal ethics through subjective experience. I can definitely identify with Ni - I am highly analytical and I don't invest in the opinions of others' too strongly because perspective is a subjective phenomenon; but I can also see how this might be a trademark of Fi. Ne thinks "out of the box", and it avoids the underlying principles of a thing by relating it to something else. I suppose I can relate to this: for instance, an atom is like a solar system because they are both composed of objects that spin in ellipses. So, as systems, they are fundamentally similar in a way. Ni or Ne? Then there's the difference between Te and Ti. Te wishes to understand the utility of a thing or a system in objective terms, while Ti would rather analyze the properties of a thing or a system for further use (though it would also claim to be objective). To a Ti user, a system can be internally experimented with, while a Te user needs the system to be empirically evident and clarified. I've read many books written by INTJs, and I definitely understand this Te sentiment, even in the realm of MBTI. In fact, when I first learned about MBTI, I understood that it could not be empirically correct; simply because of the flawed nature of communication. Nothing is "correct" because we aren't of one mind to understand an object. Then we come to Si, which is the only thing that keeps me grounded with the opinion of INFP. I frequently flash back to yesterday or another period of time in an effort to analyze the context of the past situation. (If that makes sense). For instance, a few years back I had a teacher who would habitually speak with students at the mens' urinal. This was unpleasant, and I often wondered why he would do such a thing.

So, if I identify with Fi and Ni and Te, does this mean I am an ISFP? Or is my identification of Ni just a synthesis of Fi+Ne+Te with the understanding of "the unknowable"? Or am I an INFJ, or INTP, or an INFP?... INTJ?

I don't even know why I care at this point.

G

Ginkgo

My name is Simulatedworld and I think you are ESTJ. :D

I gotcha...

You know, Sim is the one who claims I'm INFJ anyway. I think he might just have some deep seeded contempt for Fi users. So, every night before he goes to bed, he prays that I'm an INFJ because he can't tolerate anymore Fi . They're coming through the floorboards! I Mah Gee! They're everywhere! Bitching with their Fi jibberish and annoying hats!

I%20DO%20NOT%20ENJOY%20THAT%20HAT.gif

Jaguar

I gotcha...

You know, Sim is the one who claims I'm INFJ anyway. I think he might just have some deep seeded contempt for Fi users. So, every night before he goes to bed, he prays that I'm an INFJ because he can't tolerate anymore Fi . They're coming through the floorboards! I Mah Gee! They're everywhere! Bitching with their Fi jibberish and annoying hats!

He tries telling INFJs they aren't *really* INFJs.
Then the INFJs stop by his wall and yell at him.

Now he is trying to tell you that you *are* an INFJ.
Seriously, what the hell?

It seems he hates Fi so much that he only labels people he hates with Fi.
So because he likes you, he refuses to call you INFP?

That is t-w-i-s-t-e-d. :D

simulatedworld

Freshman Member
MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
7w6
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
He tries telling INFJs they aren't *really* INFJs.
Then the INFJs stop by his wall and yell at him.

Now he is trying to tell you that you *are* an INFJ.
Seriously, what the hell?

It seems he hates Fi so much that he only labels people he hates with Fi.
So because he likes you, he refuses to call you INFP?

That is t-w-i-s-t-e-d. :D

Nah, I only tell ISFJs they aren't INFJ. ;)

Polaris

AKA Nunki
MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
In the first video of yourself that you posted here, I thought you seemed decidedly J-ish. I'm thinking that you're either an ENFJ or an unusually playful INFJ (like I am, sometimes).

simulatedworld

Freshman Member
MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
7w6
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
An alleged Dom Ne who thinks he can spot Dom Ni.
Reduce the cocktail count tonight, will ya'?

I can spot dom Ni. I can also spot dom Si. Not being an Ni type doesn't mean you can't see it in others.

You're running out of arguments and repeating the same old tired ones.

btw,

mystic tater on AIM last night said:
mystic tater (4:14:45 AM): I'm going to sleep on this. Sorry, I haven't made any direct conclusions yet, but Ni is absolutely me.
mystic tater (4:14:51 AM): Logically
mystic tater (4:14:59 AM): I suppose it would follow that I am INFJ

G

Ginkgo

Ok, well, I'm not going to say anymore. I fear that this will just result in another pointless, inconclusive thread. Here's some videos of me. Peace.

[YOUTUBE="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oKxluKqHCv8"]Spirit Trees[/YOUTUBE]

[YOUTUBE="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9BthUmgs6sM"]Orange People[/YOUTUBE]

[YOUTUBE="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GB5t4HthDEo"]Fish Oil[/YOUTUBE]

VagrantFarce

You seem very spontaneous. :) is that true?

I'm gonna copy a few posts of mine that (I think) helps to illustrate the difference between Ni and Ne:

Giving it another go:

Extraverted Intuition makes you aware of the wider context of whatever is being perceived, allowing you to create interesting responses and alter meaning on-the-fly. From this standpoint, context is inferred from what can be observed and otherwise outwardly perceived, like following a link labelled "relevant websites".

[youtube=1ioBZ5fNJO8]Ne[/youtube]

Introverted Intuition makes you aware of all the potential frameworks that could be applied to a situation, changing the meaning by simply approaching things in a different way. You're not "looking" for a wider context in the observable world, you're shifting perspective. From this standpoint, context is inferred from the assumptions we bring into the world, like changing the lens on a camera.

[youtube=GeixtYS-P3s]Ni[/youtube]

The difference really just seems to be where meaning and context are thought to emerge from:
  • Ni-types think of meaning and context as defined by the assumptions we take into the world -the perspectives we choose to hold as individuals. You change the meaning of reality and the possibilities available to you by allowing yourself to "look" at things in a different light - to actively ignore what simple observation suggests.
  • Ne-types think of meaning and context as defined by what we observe in the world - the web of connections that are just already there. To change the meaning of reality and the possibilities available to you, you have to allow yourself to be open to what observation suggests, and to not be arbitrarily dismissive of possibilities at first glance.

An Ne's thoughts could be construed as Ni, and vice versa, on the surface - but behind the scenes, I still see them as completely different ways of thinking that opposing types tend not to share. :) For example, I can certainly see how other people will think the way I described Ni, but I certainly don't think that way - indeed, my instinct is usually to dismiss that sort of thinking as contrary and dismissive to what is being discussed.

See these for a better explanation for what I'm talking about:

Holistic Spiraling

The typical rhetorical style of NPs, especially INTPs: appeal to Extraverted Intuition, pointing out relationships among disaparate things, to trigger an "aha!" of Introverted Judgement.

In Holistic Spiraling, one makes a contrast or comparison to establish reference for a term, then uses that term to state a proposition. That proposition is then contrasted or compared with other propositions, creating a new vocabulary for proposing yet more hypotheses, and so on, hence the "spiraling". "How does this relate to that? Now that we understand that relation, how we can we better understand these other things?"

In contrast to rhetoric guided by Extraverted Thinking, the conclusion cannot be stated at the beginning. Nearly all of the rhetoric is concerned primarily with establishing a shared understanding of reference points in reality, in terms of which the conclusion will be framed. The rhetoric of Extraverted Thinking more typically begins with a conclusion framed in terms of an already shared conceptual framework, followed by reasons to establish that conclusion as opposed to contrary conclusions.

Type From Scratch

A conversation between two NPs has a distinct pattern: you could call it Holistic Spiraling. When NJs talk together or an NP talks with an NJ, the spiraling seldom takes off even though there's still lots of reframing of ideas.

The peculiar disconnect that nearly always happens between INTJs and INTPs. From the INTJ's standpoint: "He seems awfully attached to his model, as if it's the only possible one. There are so many possibilities he hasn't ruled out. His argumentation is simply unfair: he is choosing observations to stack the deck to favor his interpretation over all others. He seems oblivious to the complexity of the subject. He does not seem to know what he's doing." From the INTP's standpoint: "I'm trying to point things out and draw distinctions in order to define a vocabulary that carves out some aspect of the subject matter. That would be forward progress. But he refuses to look. He keeps translating everything I say into some moronic vocabulary that he's already familiar with, where what I'm saying is a trivial goof. He seems completely stuck in his box."

Oaky

Travelling mind
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/so

heart

heart on fire
My guess from videos IFJ. My guess is valueless and means nothing. You talk/express too readily in the orange video to be INFP. (and goodness all the nitpicky detailing) There's a certain "I take myself serious" in your eyes and your voice that screams IFJ to me. jmo.

G

Ginkgo

Alrighty, well, I really love the Ni representations. I am always thinking of interpretations. I think of interpretations of interpretations, and I get stuck in limbo when I can't discern which one is correct. Just like what's happening right now between everyone who's posting. Morgan Freeman is abolishing these concepts that label groups of people; and I am inclined to do the same. But then we also have Fi's determination to be authentic and "unlabeled".

I did take myself serious in the orange video, and I also acted goofy in the others because I knew exactly what would appeal to my audience. I framed them all perfectly, and I can't say any one of them is "me". I don't know what "me" is. There is no perfect definition for anything, especially something as radical as a human being.

In real life, I am not spontaneous. I'm always anticipating the effects of my actions on my environment. Vagrant, you posted something a while back (I think) about how IXXPs don't want to affect the environment, and IXXJs don't want their environment to affect them. It's impossible for me to decide which of these definitions suffices. I can think of a multitude of possibilities, but at the moment, I feel like I don't want the environment to affect me. Other times, I can recall when I was the opposite.

And, quite honestly, I think I can use any function at will when the time calls for it; though I know some people will think I'm ludicrous for saying so.

Sorry, I know you're presenting me with a stockpile of information, and I appreciate it.

I identify with the INTJ in wanting to grasp "all possibilities", and there have also been times when I was like the INTP and I strove to nitpick my vocabulary to death so we might be clear. It happens on this forum all day : people arguing over something because neither one of them has a firm understanding of the other argument. Sometimes, both arguments are completely sidestepping the issue because something like "racism" hasn't been accurately defined.

This is why formal debating has rules. Both participants define their thesis a priori with objectivity. This way, there is no confusion.

heart

heart on fire
In real life, I am not spontaneous. I'm always anticipating the effects of my actions on my environment.

To me this sounds IFJ. In most situations, I use gut feelings at the time to decide how to handle people and situations, based on the stimulation I recieve in the moment.

I did take myself serious in the orange video, and I also acted goofy in the others because I knew exactly what would appeal to my audience. I framed them all perfectly, and I can't say any one of them is "me". I don't know what "me" is. There is no perfect definition for anything, especially something as radical as a human being.

I am not talking about your conscious actions, I am talking about the look in your eye, your unconscious, underlying aspects in it. The "vibes".

I can't say any one of them is "me". I don't know what "me" is.

I can't imagine ever saying this. For better or worse, for me I am the center of my feeling universe. I can't help but know me. I can't escape me.

JustHer

Pumpernickel
MBTI Type
ENTJ
You are the most Fi person I know. Also I dont think you use Ni at all, definitely more Ne.

VagrantFarce

Well shit, you had me fooled. :)

Do you identify with either of these descriptions at all?

Tertiary Temptation: The temptation, when we feel pressure from our Inferior Function, to explain our problems to ourselves in terms of an attitude opposite to our Secondary Function. This supports the self-understanding of our Dominant Function in Extraverted or Introverted terms, whichever we are most accustomed to. This cognitive move doesn't lead us to address the real problems, which would require a more genuine change in perspective; it does, however, restore an inner sense of harmony.

When introverts run into a situation that their Dominant Function can't handle, they need to adapt by negotiating, going along with the limitations of low-bandwidth social interaction, or otherwise doing something that does not involve total control or understanding of the situation. The Tertiary Function provides justification for maintaining an Introverted approach directly opposite to the worldly expansiveness that the person is ready for.

Tertiary Ti (IxFJ): "I can't possibly go along with this, because it makes no sense. It's filled with internal contradictions. It's crude and not true to the real principles of how this works. It's trying to shove an inappropriately a priori conceptual structure onto the reality. I will have to go by feel, and where it leads I can't know until I get there. I've got to trust this groove regardless of people's arbitrary expectations." The Secondary Function (Fe) would say: "You've reached the limits of what you can do alone. You can make others feel important by telling them your needs and asking for their help, and yielding some genuine control to them. See who you can find common cause with."

Tertiary Fi (IxTJ): "I can't possibly go along with this, because it would mar my soul. It's not 'me'. I am a good person, and in order to maintain my integrity, I need to steer clear of this. This is the responsibility of those other people: it emerges from their souls, not mine, so it's their problem." The Secondary Function (Te) would say: "Do something. Take responsibility even if no one gave it to you, and go after some tangible gain right now, within the limits of the situation and your current understanding. That will improve your position, after which you can re-assess and plot a new course."

Tertiary Temptation

Polaris

AKA Nunki
MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Mystic_Tater said:
Ok, well, I'm not going to say anymore. I fear that this will just result in another pointless, inconclusive thread. Here's some videos of me. Peace.
Come now, we were just getting started. You mustn't drop out so early.

Then we come to Si, which is the only thing that keeps me grounded with the opinion of INFP. I frequently flash back to yesterday or another period of time in an effort to analyze the context of the past situation. (If that makes sense). For instance, a few years back I had a teacher who would habitually speak with students at the mens' urinal. This was unpleasant, and I often wondered why he would do such a thing.
To use Si is not so much to recall the past as it is to draw lessons from it and apply them to the present. Ni can consult the past, as well, but the major difference is that it will dig below the surface, in search of a deeper meaning. What you've described above falls more into that vein and less into Si; you're trying to interpret the past rather than consult or relive it.

Having said that, it is rare for Ni-doms to hearken back very often. I know that in my case I've always had extremely fragmentary memories: my childhood is mostly blank, I barely remember things as recent as a day ago, and what little I do recall tends to take on an unreasonably negative color.