• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

type walking tourist, part two

Walking Tourist

it's tea time!
MBTI Type
esfp
Enneagram
Hi all,
Please ask questions to help me decide between isfp or istp.
I have deleted esfp from my list of potential types because, even though I am expressive and social, being around lots of people for an extended length of time wears me out and I can hardly wait to take a walk with me, myself, and I so that the three of us (or just the me of us) can recharge. I don't like to be alone for a long time and am not a loner by any means but I do need some alone time.
I have also deleted infp from my list of potential types because, to be sure, Ne is not me, while Se is me.
OK. Ready to go for it!!!:D

VagrantFarce

oh gosh, ti vs fi :cry:

Both can feel like "internal barometers", and both are about maintaining a sense of internal congruence, so it can be tough to differentiate the two. I wrote this description of Ti in another thread (to differentiate it from Te), see if it makes anything light up in your head:

ME! said:
Ti is more gestalt -it's an individualistic, holistic understanding of the variables present in any situation. It therefore feels like you're being guided by an internal barometer (which is why it often gets confused with Fi), allowing your outer behaviour to react perceptually and make things up as you go. Therefore it doesn't necessarily require empirical evidence - just a sense of logical coherence and How Things Work.

Summing up the difference between the two, I'm guessing:

• Fi asks "is this congruent with who I am? This doesn't reflect my soul - I can't be a part of this. Hmm, look at this guy - is he being congruent with himself? What need is he fulfilling behaving like that?"
  • Ti asks "is this logically congruent? Something about this doesn't fit - what is it? There's a piece missing here that I haven't found yet - I need to find it before I can move forward."

So, assuming that you are an IP, you'll be asking one of these questions (or a similar question) most of the time - whether you're aware of it or not. A good thing to do is to take stock of the questions you're asking yourself when you're next out.

You'll probably need some input from Fi types to see if I'm correct, though. :)

Walking Tourist

it's tea time!
MBTI Type
esfp
Enneagram
The internal barometer description is great and, yes, I'm having a tough time deciding which wins out for me... (see below)...

oh gosh, ti vs fi :cry:

Both can feel like "internal barometers", and both are about maintaining a sense of internal congruence, so it can be tough to differentiate the two. I wrote this description of Ti in another thread (to differentiate it from Te), see if it makes anything light up in your head:

Summing up the difference between the two, I'm guessing:

• Fi asks "is this congruent with who I am? This doesn't reflect my soul - I can't be a part of this. Hmm, look at this guy - is he being congruent with himself? What need is he fulfilling behaving like that?"
  • Ti asks "is this logically congruent? Something about this doesn't fit - what is it? There's a piece missing here that I haven't found yet - I need to find it before I can move forward."

So, assuming that you are an IP, you'll be asking one of these questions (or a similar question) most of the time - whether you're aware of it or not. A good thing to do is to take stock of the questions you're asking yourself when you're next out.

You'll probably need some input from Fi types to see if I'm correct, though. :)

I know that I'm always wondering where those missing pieces more than I'm wondering if something reflects my soul or is congruent with who I am.
I'd like to hear from Fi types about their perception of what Fi does for them.
In the meantime, I'll go look for those missing pieces and a little bit of logical congruence.:cry:

VagrantFarce

Remember: just because you're quiet and have feelings doesn't make you an IFP. ;)

Walking Tourist

it's tea time!
MBTI Type
esfp
Enneagram
I think that I'll read some more istp descriptions. Still a little confused but this one sentence helps a lot.:huh:
Fi is an awfully confusing function. *sigh*

Remember: just because you're quiet and have feelings doesn't make you an IFP. ;)

Jeffster

veteran attention whore
MBTI Type
ESFP
Enneagram
7w6
Instinctual Variant
sx
You said you related more to the "Entertainer" type than "Operator." Entertainers are the SFPs.

Walking Tourist

it's tea time!
MBTI Type
esfp
Enneagram
True. Operator did seem a bit... well... mechanical and entertainer did seem a bit more like fun.:smile:

You said you related more to the "Entertainer" type than "Operator." Entertainers are the SFPs.

VagrantFarce

The last thing you should do is determine your type by which name you like best. :p

How sure are you that you're an ISP?

Walking Tourist

it's tea time!
MBTI Type
esfp
Enneagram
The last thing you should do is determine your type by which name you like best. :p

LOL!!!!:cheese::yes::happy2::glasses:
Actually, I was responding to the description, rather than just the title. Nevertheless, the idea of picking a type by choosing the most appealing name strikes me as very, very funny!

How sure are you that you're an ISP?

I'm not sure. I'm never sure of anything! Whatever my type is, it isn't a type that is especially decisive.

Last edited:

VagrantFarce

From Auxillary-Se to Inferior-Se? That's quite a leap :)

OK, explain your understanding of Se. Go!

Walking Tourist

it's tea time!
MBTI Type
esfp
Enneagram
Se for me is being in constant contact with my beautiful world... the softness of the cat when he sits on my lap, the cold crunch of the snow beneath my feet, the smell of the food as it cooks, the aroma of my delicious cookies as they baked, the burst of orange flavor in my mouth as I bite down on my orange, the feel and smell of the air as I go for a walk, the joy of four-part harmony when I'm singing... it's touch and taste and smell and sight and sound and how all of these sensations feel at the very moment that I'm experiencing them. For me, Se is utter joy.:wubbie:

From Auxillary-Se to Inferior-Se? That's quite a leap :)

OK, explain your understanding of Se. Go!

VagrantFarce

Hey, look! Stuff!

Personality Types Under Stress - ISTP, ISFP, ISTJ, ISFJ within Psychology at RIN.ru

ISTP

ISTPs value privacy and sometimes keep important issues to themselves. Their concern for the present moment and their inability to recognize the importance of setting goals, often leads them into conflict with authority. Being action-oriented, ISTPs react against restrictions - which typically causes the controls placed on them to increase. In these situations, boredom can quickly set in and the ISTP may experience feelings of internal emptiness. Overly regulated situations cause ISTPs stress. In such situations, ISTPs either attempt to flee or turn to fight their adversary face-to-face.

The ISTP's form of retaliation can be characterized as defiling what other people value. The ISTP violates rules and regulations that protect individual rights in retaliation for the lost opportunities and freedom that the ISTP believes they have had to endure. Getting even stimulates them and a renewed sense of excitement emerges from the risks of revenge and the expression of outrage. If stress continues, ISTPs will put what remaining freedom they have left in jeopardy by rebelling further.

ISFP

ISFPs can be over-accepting of others and need to be more skeptical at times. Their need to please everyone makes them reluctant to critique any one but themselves. This excessive desire to trust others makes them targets for hurt feelings and disadvantaged relationships. Long-range planning and adherence to policies can be their downfall. When the freedom to act on their instincts is limited, ISFPs become bored, restless, and passively defiant. They are skilled at seeming to comply with regulations while annoying those who cause them distress.

If stress continues to build, ISFPs will penalize others through self-degrading behavior. This behavior has the tendency to divert accountability away from themselves and onto others who they blame for their plight. This restores the excitement back into ISFP's lives while at the same time getting even with their accused oppressors. Rationalizing their responsibilities, stressed-out ISFPs attempt to find their way out of unstimulating circumstances through seeking inappropriate thrills.

Walking Tourist

it's tea time!
MBTI Type
esfp
Enneagram
Everything bolded applies to me. (with added comments)

ISTP

ISTPs value privacy and sometimes keep important issues to themselves. Their concern for the present moment and their inability to recognize the importance of setting goals, often leads them into conflict with authority. Being action-oriented, ISTPs react against restrictions - which typically causes the controls placed on them to increase. In these situations, boredom can quickly set in and the ISTP may experience feelings of internal emptiness. Overly regulated situations cause ISTPs stress. In such situations, ISTPs either attempt to flee or turn to fight their adversary face-to-face.

I can see a lot of this in me. I don't like being told what to do, especially if I perceive the authority figures as being stupid, arrogant, or both. It might have a bit to do with my experiences in prison... or maybe not. I've never been especially enamored with authority. When I was in prison, I did break rules and, for the most part, got away with it. I don't know, though, if that is a reaction against the restrictions naturally involved in being in prison or an expression of me as a free spirit. I was sent to prison for protesting on a military base so I guess... more conflict with authority.
Yes, I suppose that I am very focused on the present moment. I can't perceive the future as being real. It's hard for me to conceive that unpleasantness, such as the overly regulated situation, could ever end. It's hard for me to gain any sort of perspective. So I tend to rebel against what I perceive to be stifling authority.

The ISTP's form of retaliation can be characterized as defiling what other people value. The ISTP violates rules and regulations that protect individual rights in retaliation for the lost opportunities and freedom that the ISTP believes they have had to endure. Getting even stimulates them and a renewed sense of excitement emerges from the risks of revenge and the expression of outrage. If stress continues, ISTPs will put what remaining freedom they have left in jeopardy by rebelling further.

Ok, well maybe the last sentence. I don't really believe that I feel stimulated by getting even or by taking revenge. I am somewhat rebellious and I am a free spirit but I don't think that I am motivated by the need for revenge.

ISFP

ISFPs can be over-accepting of others and need to be more skeptical at times. Their need to please everyone makes them reluctant to critique any one but themselves. This excessive desire to trust others makes them targets for hurt feelings and disadvantaged relationships. Long-range planning and adherence to policies can be their downfall. When the freedom to act on their instincts is limited, ISFPs become bored, restless, and passively defiant. They are skilled at seeming to comply with regulations while annoying those who cause them distress.

I can be rather excessively accepting of others, I suppose, although I've never really seen it that way. I also prefer to trust than not to trust. I will trust people unless they give me cause not to. And yes, people sometimes take advantage of my tendency to trust. I'm not sure about the bored and restless part and I have my doubts about "passively defiant." I think that, when I'm defiant, I pretty much say so. It's really not passive.

If stress continues to build, ISFPs will penalize others through self-degrading behavior. This behavior has the tendency to divert accountability away from themselves and onto others who they blame for their plight. This restores the excitement back into ISFP's lives while at the same time getting even with their accused oppressors. Rationalizing their responsibilities, stressed-out ISFPs attempt to find their way out of unstimulating circumstances through seeking inappropriate thrills.

I don't know if any of this applies.

ISTJ and ISFJ didn't seem to apply at all.

This is very interesting, looking at personality types by their negative traits. I still haven't decided between isfp and istp and, based on my responses above, I still don't have a clear choice. I'd like your feed back and to continue with this exploration.

Walking Tourist

it's tea time!
MBTI Type
esfp
Enneagram
What does all of that in the above entry mean??? isfp, istp, or something else???

VagrantFarce

Could be either! When changing from isfp to istp, not only does the dominant function change, so does the inferior function.

Let's feed you more info and see what sticks:

"ITPs have an over-bearing need to understand the world in terms of logic; their ability to deconstruct things into discrete variables makes them natural, hands-on problem-solvers. Moments, situations, scenarios, people, everything is easily boiled down to its individual pieces and understood on a fundamental, gestalt level. These parts give rise to whatever is being perceived, and are absorbed into a holistic, universal model of How Things Work. ITPs need to immmerse themselves in the emergent unfolding of systems, and the best way to truly relate to that system is to be just another variable, exerting its will like any other."

"ITPs are often kind and considerate in intent, but can be resistant to the advances of others, and can easily offend people if they're not careful enough. They keep their emotions at bay, and may even pride themselves on maintaining an emotionally detached stance - "the observer sees more of the game". Some ITPs might even look down on those who allow their emotions and community values to make decisions for them, deriding them as sheep-like and unable to accept the reality of things. While ITPs aspire to fit in with others, they are quick to detach and cut loose of emotional baggage when their personal interests are threatened."

"For Introverted Feelers, life is a constant challenge to remain in harmony with an emotional ideal. To them the world is an ever-evolving torrent of unique, living things persuing their own emotional needs. As a result, Introverted Feelers have a naturally empathic worldview, and can easily assess whether a person's behaviour is emotionally congruent. They approach everything from an emotional standpoint - how can I relate to this emotionally? What need does this reflect that I can identify? This sort of non-judgemental thinking allows IFPs to easily empathize with anyone they come across, and they naturally favour mercy and forgiveness over retribution."

By the way, have you looked at this?