• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

INFJ or INTJ?

boats and birds

I’m trying to figure out if I’m an INFJ (with high Ti) or INTJ (With high Fi). I’ve been taking MBTI tests since I was about 15ish and have gotten INFJ 99% of the time. I used to fit the description perfectly. As a kid I was a “feeler”, although I was also very analytical. I was lost in my thoughts a lot. I didn’t fit in because I just wasn’t interested in what most other kids were interested in. I saw the consequences to potential actions, so I decided not to do something stupid because I knew I wouldn’t get away with it. Most of my life has been spent in a deep depression. I have always been capable of being logical but I ignored the logic in favor of emotion (especially during my teenage years). This, of course, got me into trouble. I have multiple suicide attempts and hospital stays under my belt. But last year something happened and I was forced into a sink or swim situation. It was a huge reality check. I made the choice to put logic and reason above emotion, especially when it comes to decision making, because I’ve learned that I can’t trust emotion like I can logic. So, lately I’ve been testing INTJ. When I read the description for INTJs it fits me very well. I don’t think I fit the INFJ description nearly as well as the INTJ one. I don’t know if it was my hormones which made my F more prominent during adolescence or if the “reality check” last year made my T more obvious.

I made a list to hopefully help:

- I’m a perfectionist. I’m not satisfied until something is finished or decided upon. I can be quite anal and controlling.
- I have difficulty making decisions because I can see so many different sides to something. My mind can be really conflicted and I tend to send mixed messages because I can’t make up my mind or don’t know how to express my feelings.
- I feel a lot and usually don’t have trouble expressing my feelings. I can get pretty hung up, though, on the correct word to use to describe exactly what I’m feeling. So, sometimes I can send mixed messages because I’m unsure of exactly what it is, which tends to irritate people.
- I’ve always been empathetic. I can understand where people are coming from. I can see all sides of an argument. And I think situation should be taken into account. It’s not always black and white. Although I can be compassionate and understanding, I’m not afraid to let people know what I think of them and their actions.
- I’m so analytical. I think and think and get lost in my thoughts all the time. I have trouble falling asleep because of it. I can’t seem to stop thinking. I critique everything. I try not to be quick to judge, but I am. I might not verbalize what I’m thinking right off, though, because I want to make sure I have all the information needed before making a decision.
- I can read people and situations quite well. I can see how events will play out. All the possible outcomes. I can tell if someone is fake or genuine (especially in person). I notice details and it helps me to understand people and where they are coming from and if they are being honest.
- Although I can be detail-oriented, I don’t get so lost in the details that I can’t see the big picture. I am able to use the little details I see to apply to my understanding of the big picture, so that I’m better equipped to make decisions.
- I can be sensitive. I can be hurt easily, especially by people I’m close with. This alone makes me think I’m an INFJ, because I've heard that INTJs aren’t sensitive.
- I’m incredibly shy. I don’t open up to people I don’t know well. Most people, who think they know me, don’t.
- I don’t like that I discriminate people by intelligence, but I do. I only really talk to people I think are worthy. I have pretty high standards. If someone doesn’t meet them, I usually block that person out.
- I can be harsh with people. I’m more of a “tough-love” kind of person. Overly emotional people really irritate me. I can’t deal with them for very long. I’m not saying I can’t handle a healthy dose of emotion now and again, but when people are so caught up in their feelings that they fail to realize they have options, it really gets to me. What’s even worse is people who do things just for attention. When I encounter people like this, I usually call them on it or just ignore them because they aren’t worth my time. And, no, this doesn’t make me feel guilty.
- I suck at math.
- I love art. I’m drawn to artsy, intellectual pursuits. I love music and I write poetry.
- I also love languages. Different languages and ways of speaking and communicating fascinate me.
- I don’t like conflict, but I won’t avoid it if I think it’s necessary or inevitable. In fact, I tend to “get it over with” if I’m able to foresee it happening anyways.
- I prefer closure to things being open-ended. I feel better after a decision has been made.
- I really like to label myself. I like to know exactly what I am and how I think. I can handle other people not being labeled (though I prefer that they are) but when it comes to myself, I feel this need to have a label. I want to be able to understand myself better.
- I can come off being nosy with people I know well and am close with. I'm not nosy because I like to know peoples business, I'm nosy because I'm a planner. And the more information I have, the better plan I can have for the future, whether it be near or far off.

I took the cognitive functions test and here are my results:

- ***************** Te

- *************** Ni

- *************** Ti

- ************* Fi

- ************* Ne

- ************ Si

- *********** Fe

- *** Se

Your Possible Type Code

According to the traditional sorting method of finding the most-used functional pairs (such as Fi-Ne), your type might be:

Possible result: INTJ
We are also trying a new sorting method to try to indicate best-fit type. This method is experimental and may not match your type.

Your Developmental Report
Your pattern of responses indicates a developmental level in each cognitive processes. Since this is experimental, this report may be in error.

Se
You notice this process and enjoy when others use it but only occassionally find yourself engaging in it. You may marvel at others who do it very well. It doesn't appear useful to you personally and can annoy you if others use it too much.

Si,Fe

You actively use this process in your daily life as a useful tool or helpful aid. You could live without it but use definitely contributes to the what you do and who you are. You can work with others using this process, usually in a support role.

Ni,Ti,Ne,Fi
You create value, aid others and get things done everyday using this process. You function well here, know all the ins and outs, strengths and limits of this process. You have made this process your own, something personal and unique to you.

Te
You sustain and grow yourself and those around you long-term through this process. You are at your best, your peak creative and leadership moments when engaged in this process. This is a lead role; it is who you are and what you truly do.

(The chart didn't want to paste correctly, so I replaced the blocks with asterisks.)

I know this is really long, but I wanted to give as much information as I could think of.

VagrantFarce

I don't have much time right now, so just a few questions off the top of my head:

Would you describe yourself as a contingency planner? The sort of person who not only thinks things through in advance, but actually follows through with the plans they lay out? Or do you easily change your mind and make quick decisions on-the-fly when in the thick of things? Do you feel the need to take responsibility for things and brandish a little authority, or would you be content to just "let things happen" if allowed to?

"I suck at math"
you're an INFJ

go awai

Fecal McAngry

I’m trying to figure out if I’m an INFJ (with high Ti) or INTJ (With high Fi). I’ve been taking MBTI tests since I was about 15ish and have gotten INFJ 99% of the time. I used to fit the description perfectly. As a kid I was a “feeler”, although I was also very analytical. I was lost in my thoughts a lot. I didn’t fit in because I just wasn’t interested in what most other kids were interested in. I saw the consequences to potential actions, so I decided not to do something stupid because I knew I wouldn’t get away with it. Most of my life has been spent in a deep depression. I have always been capable of being logical but I ignored the logic in favor of emotion (especially during my teenage years). This, of course, got me into trouble. I have multiple suicide attempts and hospital stays under my belt. But last year something happened and I was forced into a sink or swim situation. It was a huge reality check. I made the choice to put logic and reason above emotion, especially when it comes to decision making, because I’ve learned that I can’t trust emotion like I can logic. So, lately I’ve been testing INTJ. When I read the description for INTJs it fits me very well. I don’t think I fit the INFJ description nearly as well as the INTJ one. I don’t know if it was my hormones which made my F more prominent during adolescence or if the “reality check” last year made my T more obvious.

- I’m a perfectionist. I’m not satisfied until something is finished or decided upon. I can be quite anal and controlling.
- I have difficulty making decisions because I can see so many different sides to something. My mind can be really conflicted and I tend to send mixed messages because I can’t make up my mind or don’t know how to express my feelings.
- I feel a lot and usually don’t have trouble expressing my feelings. I can get pretty hung up, though, on the correct word to use to describe exactly what I’m feeling. So, sometimes I can send mixed messages because I’m unsure of exactly what it is, which tends to irritate people.
- I’ve always been empathetic. I can understand where people are coming from. I can see all sides of an argument. And I think situation should be taken into account. It’s not always black and white. Although I can be compassionate and understanding, I’m not afraid to let people know what I think of them and their actions.
- I’m so analytical. I think and think and get lost in my thoughts all the time. I have trouble falling asleep because of it. I can’t seem to stop thinking. I critique everything. I try not to be quick to judge, but I am. I might not verbalize what I’m thinking right off, though, because I want to make sure I have all the information needed before making a decision.
- I can read people and situations quite well. I can see how events will play out. All the possible outcomes. I can tell if someone is fake or genuine (especially in person). I notice details and it helps me to understand people and where they are coming from and if they are being honest.
- Although I can be detail-oriented, I don’t get so lost in the details that I can’t see the big picture. I am able to use the little details I see to apply to my understanding of the big picture, so that I’m better equipped to make decisions.
- I can be sensitive. I can be hurt easily, especially by people I’m close with. This alone makes me think I’m an INFJ, because I've heard that INTJs aren’t sensitive.
- I’m incredibly shy. I don’t open up to people I don’t know well. Most people, who think they know me, don’t.
- I don’t like that I discriminate people by intelligence, but I do. I only really talk to people I think are worthy. I have pretty high standards. If someone doesn’t meet them, I usually block that person out.
- I can be harsh with people. I’m more of a “tough-love” kind of person. Overly emotional people really irritate me. I can’t deal with them for very long. I’m not saying I can’t handle a healthy dose of emotion now and again, but when people are so caught up in their feelings that they fail to realize they have options, it really gets to me. What’s even worse is people who do things just for attention. When I encounter people like this, I usually call them on it or just ignore them because they aren’t worth my time. And, no, this doesn’t make me feel guilty.
- I suck at math.
- I love art. I’m drawn to artsy, intellectual pursuits. I love music and I write poetry.
- I also love languages. Different languages and ways of speaking and communicating fascinate me.
- I don’t like conflict, but I won’t avoid it if I think it’s necessary or inevitable. In fact, I tend to “get it over with” if I’m able to foresee it happening anyways.
- I prefer closure to things being open-ended. I feel better after a decision has been made.
- I really like to label myself. I like to know exactly what I am and how I think. I can handle other people not being labeled (though I prefer that they are) but when it comes to myself, I feel this need to have a label. I want to be able to understand myself better.
- I can come off being nosy with people I know well and am close with. I'm not nosy because I like to know peoples business, I'm nosy because I'm a planner. And the more information I have, the better plan I can have for the future, whether it be near or far off.

I took the cognitive functions test and here are my results:

- ***************** Te

- *************** Ni

- *************** Ti

- ************* Fi

- ************* Ne

- ************ Si

- *********** Fe

- *** Se

Your Possible Type Code

According to the traditional sorting method of finding the most-used functional pairs (such as Fi-Ne), your type might be:

Possible result: INTJ
We are also trying a new sorting method to try to indicate best-fit type. This method is experimental and may not match your type.

Your Developmental Report
Your pattern of responses indicates a developmental level in each cognitive processes. Since this is experimental, this report may be in error.

Se
You notice this process and enjoy when others use it but only occassionally find yourself engaging in it. You may marvel at others who do it very well. It doesn't appear useful to you personally and can annoy you if others use it too much.

Si,Fe

You actively use this process in your daily life as a useful tool or helpful aid. You could live without it but use definitely contributes to the what you do and who you are. You can work with others using this process, usually in a support role.

Ni,Ti,Ne,Fi
You create value, aid others and get things done everyday using this process. You function well here, know all the ins and outs, strengths and limits of this process. You have made this process your own, something personal and unique to you.

Te
You sustain and grow yourself and those around you long-term through this process. You are at your best, your peak creative and leadership moments when engaged in this process. This is a lead role; it is who you are and what you truly do.

(The chart didn't want to paste correctly, so I replaced the blocks with asterisks.)

I know this is really long, but I wanted to give as much information as I could think of.

Not surprisingly, you come across to me as an INFJ and not as an INTJ.

You might find this helpful: INFJ or INTJ?

I am sorry you've been through so much unhappiness in your brief time on this planet. Feel free to message me if you need to talk.

boats and birds

I don't have much time right now, so just a few questions off the top of my head:

Would you describe yourself as a contingency planner? The sort of person who not only thinks things through in advance, but actually follows through with the plans they lay out? Or do you easily change your mind and make quick decisions on-the-fly when in the thick of things?

I do both, to be honest. It takes me a long time to make a decision, but usually when I've made one I stick with it. But sometimes, if I'm sick of just sitting around thinking about something and not able to come up with a definite answer I just pick the option that seems best, even if I'm still torn between them, I just deal. I have to trust it was the best I could come up with.

Do you feel the need to take responsibility for things and brandish a little authority, or would you be content to just "let things happen" if allowed to?

I'm more the type to take responsibility. I'm not a "go with the flow" type of person at all. I wouldn't be comfortable just to "let things happen". I need to be in control of the situation and not feel handled.

boats and birds

Not surprisingly, you come across to me as an INFJ and not as an INTJ.

You might find this helpful: INFJ or INTJ?

I am sorry you've been through so much unhappiness in your brief time on this planet. Feel free to message me if you need to talk.

I've been to that site before. :) Vicky Jo rubs me the wrong way. After watching the video at the bottom I wanted to pinch her. I like her husband, though.

I've taken the temperaments test and come out as a Theorist most of the time. It's usually followed by either Catalyst or Stabilizer. The most recent one I've taken came out Theorist first and Stabilizer second highest.

From the descriptions on that site, I fit INTJ better, though there are of course some INFJ qualities that apply to me as well. I'm not interested in having a lot of deep and meaningful relationships. I have two people I would consider myself to be close to: my mom and boyfriend. I don't have friends. I'm not interested in having lots of friends. One or two maybe, but it's difficult for me to fit in with most people. I'm just not interested in the things most of my peers are interested in. It doesn't bother me that I'm a "loner". But, just because I'm not interested in relationships with people doesn't mean I don't understand them. I get people. I can read them well.

My Fi and Ti seem balanced to me. I analyze everything and want to make sure I understand something before delving into it. But I also know what is important to me. I wont get involved with something I don't think is worth my time.

thescientist

MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w4
I can relate to almost every single thing you said. You sound VERY INTJ to me...Maybe Fi got the best of you when you were young? I also suffer from depression and while not suicidal can relate to a depressive state of mind. Besides, that young version of you might have just been your 'unhealthy' INTJ side. I know when I run into deep depression my emotions friggin RULE me. Still learning to manage them efficiently. That damn Fi :)

You're a tough-love kinda gal? Totally INTJ ;) Understanding yourself and labelling...very INTJ. We love putting things into categories and are obsessed with self-awareness and analyzing ourselves to death.

I'm INTJ and I suck at math :) But I love the arts just like you. Could be that wing 4 in Enneagram. I think that's what all the mushy INTJ's are. :D Do you know your Enneagram?

highlander

Administrator
Staff member
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
6w5
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp

I suck at math.
- I love art. I’m drawn to artsy, intellectual pursuits.
love music and write poetry.

It seems like depression is inherited and a chemical thing. I'm sorry that you've had these challenges. You're not alone. A number of people who have been close to me have had issues with this.

As far as type goes, I really don't know any INFJs other than the ones on this forum, but most of the items you list resonate with me as an INTJ (or have at one point or another) except for the ones in bold.

boats and birds

I can relate to almost every single thing you said. You sound VERY INTJ to me...Maybe Fi got the best of you when you were young? I also suffer from depression and while not suicidal can relate to a depressive state of mind. Besides, that young version of you might have just been your 'unhealthy' INTJ side. I know when I run into deep depression my emotions friggin RULE me. Still learning to manage them efficiently. That damn Fi :)

You're a tough-love kinda gal? Totally INTJ ;) Understanding yourself and labelling...very INTJ. We love putting things into categories and are obsessed with self-awareness and analyzing ourselves to death.

I'm INTJ and I suck at math :) But I love the arts just like you. Could be that wing 4 in Enneagram. I think that's what all the mushy INTJ's are. :D Do you know your Enneagram?

I've tested differently on each enneagram test I take. It's different with each site. But I think I fit 6 the best. I relate well to both 6w5 and 6w7 but I think 6w7 is more accurate.

Fecal McAngry

I've been to that site before. :) Vicky Jo rubs me the wrong way. After watching the video at the bottom I wanted to pinch her. I like her husband, though.
She rubs me the wrong way as well. It was the video & comments re: your extroverted functions which I thought might be useful.

My Te rule of thumb is of course that women who wonder if they are thinkers or feelers are thinkers and that men who wonder if they are thinker or feelers are feelers;)

boats and birds

My Te rule of thumb is of course that women who wonder if they are thinkers or feelers are thinkers and that men who wonder if they are thinker or feelers are feelers;)

I think it's just confusing for me because even though I fit the INTJ profile better than INFJ, I still don't fit in with them like I think I should. A lot of the INTs I have met are super smart and I'm able to discuss things that I can't really talk about with other types. I'm drawn to intellectual people but it's almost intimidating because I'm used to being the smartest person in a room. I've always been the one to come up with new ways of thinking about things, and have been able to critique and debate well because of my logic and understanding.

But I also don't fit in with INFJs because, although I'm an empathetic person, I don't put up with crap from people like a lot of them do and try to make excuses for people. I'm not nearly the "feeler" I once was. I can understand where people are coming from, but that doesn't necessarily mean that I'm going say that it's ok they acted a certain way. In fact, in most cases, I'm more likely to say it doesn't excuse the behavior. I value justice, but I am willing to take into consideration the situation the person was in.

Can INTJs be empathetic?

thescientist

MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w4
I think it's just confusing for me because even though I fit the INTJ profile better than INFJ, I still don't fit in with them like I think I should. A lot of the INTs I have met are super smart and I'm able to discuss things that I can't really talk about with other types. I'm drawn to intellectual people but it's almost intimidating because I'm used to being the smartest person in a room. I've always been the one to come up with new ways of thinking about things, and have been able to critique and debate well because of my logic and understanding.

How exactly do you think you're supposed to fit in better with INTJs? No INTJ is exactly the same as another INTJ.

Just because it's intimidating to speak to highly intellectual people, doesn't mean it makes you less INTJ. I can relate, as throughout my younger years I was always the 'smart' one. As you expand your social circle and meet other intellectuals it can certainly be intimidating precisely because you're use to being the 'smart' one.

I dunno...it seems pretty clear to me that you're INTJ. :)

Fecal McAngry

But I also don't fit in with INFJs because, although I'm an empathetic person, I don't put up with crap from people like a lot of them do and try to make excuses for people. I'm not nearly the "feeler" I once was. I can understand where people are coming from, but that doesn't necessarily mean that I'm going say that it's ok they acted a certain way. In fact, in most cases, I'm more likely to say it doesn't excuse the behavior. I value justice, but I am willing to take into consideration the situation the person was in.

Can INTJs be empathetic?
What is the function you use to organize your reality? Fe or Te?

Salomé

meh
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I’m trying to figure out if I’m an INFJ (with high Ti) or INTJ (With high Fi).

An INTJ with high Fi is just that, it's not a borderline INFJ (auxiliary function is Fe). Fe doesn't have a lot to do with empathy anyway.

boats and birds

How exactly do you think you're supposed to fit in better with INTJs? No INTJ is exactly the same as another INTJ.

It seems I should be smarter. :laugh:

But you're right, everyone is different. I shouldn't compare myself to others like that, but I can't really help it.

simulatedworld

Freshman Member
MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
7w6
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
First impression is INFJ.

Would you say that this newfound reliance upon impersonal logic has made you more extroverted or more introverted than you used to be?

Extremely introverted INTJs will often depend on Ni+Fi and neglect Te, which you could have been doing until recently. When Te kicks in and starts working, this kind of INTJ will find himself much more capable of extroverting and dealing with the external world naturally.

On the other hand, you could be a more traditional INFJ using mostly Ni+Fe, who's recently discovered and built solid use of tertiary Ti. This explanation seems more likely to me.

Another way of checking whether you use Te+Fi or Fe+Ti is to ask yourself: Between logic and ethics, which of the two seems to occur to you a priori; that is, regardless of any external conditions?

If you have a sense of morality that is purely internal and that you know to be true regardless of what anyone else thinks, you're probably using Fi. Logic will come in as a means of dealing with the external world through objective and empirical measurement of what works and what doesn't (Te.)

If, on the other hand, you have a sense of internal "natural logic" that you know to be correct regardless of what anyone else thinks or what is going on, you're probably using Ti. Ethics will come in as a means of dealing with the external world through considering the feelings and ethical ideas of others around you and determining which ones produce the best results (Fe.)

By the way, I wouldn't put too much stock in function tests. They often give grossly inaccurate results due to mistakes in the phrasing of questions, and due to the unfortunate fact that they depend on self-report.

Fe doesn't have a lot to do with empathy anyway.

This is grossly inaccurate.

boats and birds

First impression is INFJ.

Would you say that this newfound reliance upon impersonal logic has made you more extroverted or more introverted than you used to be?

Extremely introverted INTJs will often depend on Ni+Fi and neglect Te, which you could have been doing until recently. When Te kicks in and starts working, this kind of INTJ will find himself much more capable of extroverting and dealing with the external world naturally.

This describes me so well. I hated conflict when I was younger and was too scared to share my true opinions with anyone, especially if they saw things differently. I kept myself to myself. I didn't let people see the "real me". But now that I've learned to put logic before emotion, I'm able to be more vocal. I'm more self-confident and not afraid to express what I'm thinking.

On the other hand, you could be a more traditional INFJ using mostly Ni+Fe, who's recently discovered and built solid use of tertiary Ti. This explanation seems more likely to me.

Another way of checking whether you use Te+Fi or Fe+Ti is to ask yourself: Between logic and ethics, which of the two seems to occur to you a priori; that is, regardless of any external conditions?

If you have a sense of morality that is purely internal and that you know to be true regardless of what anyone else thinks, you're probably using Fi. Logic will come in as a means of dealing with the external world through objective and empirical measurement of what works and what doesn't (Te.)

If, on the other hand, you have a sense of internal "natural logic" that you know to be correct regardless of what anyone else thinks or what is going on, you're probably using Ti. Ethics will come in as a means of dealing with the external world through considering the feelings and ethical ideas of others around you and determining which ones produce the best results (Fe.)

I question everything, even my own morality. I know that I could very well be wrong about things and am open to suggestions. I can understand most all sides to an argument, but I will most likely pick the most logical approach and change my views to fit it. But there are some cases where I wouldn't necessarily choose the most logical approach. I think it depends on the situation for me, but more often than not, I'll change my views to fit the more logical one because I think it's important to be rational instead of relying on emotions to make decisions.

By the way, I wouldn't put too much stock in function tests. They often give grossly inaccurate results due to mistakes in the phrasing of questions, and due to the unfortunate fact that they depend on self-report.

Yea, I've found that the questions can be confusing. The results depend on how a person interprets the question, so they can obviously be inaccurate.