• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

I think I'm either ESFJ or ENFP. What are some differences between the two?

ISFPeaceOut

MBTI Type
????
I always score E and F, but the S/N and J/P always get screwed up.

my scores range are usually either enfp, enfj, esfj, and esfp.

i feel like esfj or enfp fit me the best, but I cant seem to figure it out.

I tend to be pretty detailed oriented. I'm really good at math, although I hated calculus 2 because it was so abstract. On the other hand, I really like my sociology and anthropology classes which are more abstract kind of topics. I also like to have my stuff fairly organized and planned out but I do sometimes start things without finishing and I'm very indecisive. I'm just confused because I seem to fit both descriptions.

revolve

you sound like you are very young . . . but i'm guessing NOT enfp. i am an enfp & if i was to jump on this forum when i was in highschool . . . my classes would be the last thing i would be talking about in order to help people get to know me / type me. i think a young enfp would immediately start saying something like "i'm kinda crazy & goofy & i have quite a few friends but only 2-3 that i am really close to but it looks like i'm popular but i always feel like i'm on the outside looking in" kind of thing . . . or would say "i'm into this or that kind of music" . . . i'm guessing ESFJ

Venom

Babylon Candle
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
1w9
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I always score E and F, but the S/N and J/P always get screwed up.

my scores range are usually either enfp, enfj, esfj, and esfp.

i feel like esfj or enfp fit me the best, but I cant seem to figure it out.

I tend to be pretty detailed oriented. I'm really good at math, although I hated calculus 2 because it was so abstract. On the other hand, I really like my sociology and anthropology classes which are more abstract kind of topics. I also like to have my stuff fairly organized and planned out but I do sometimes start things without finishing and I'm very indecisive. I'm just confused because I seem to fit both descriptions.

Philosophical Exegesis

which of the following do you relate to the most? (can be more than one):

Introverted Sensation (Si) tunes you in to the chaos, unpredictability, and unknowability of the concrete world, leading you to value whatever few signs you can find that have stable meaning. For example, the stripes of tabby cats might hold a particular meaning for you, and you might come to treasure that. As an epistemological perspective, Si leads you to view anything from outside a familiar context as dangerous and untrustworthy. You are in tune with the fact that nearly all possibilities lead to destruction. For example, if you're designing an airplane, nearly all combinations of the variables fail. Of the possible combinations of wingspan, wing placement, wing shape, fuselage shape, and so on, there is only a tiny subset that make an aerodynamically workable plane--and then only if you get a whole lot of other things just right, too. All of life is like that, only much more complicated. We live only in the small islands of the world that we've grown up with and are suited to us. And we can't possibly know why these small islands are relatively safe. As an ethical perspective, Si leads you to protect the integrity of the things and signs that we depend on. This usually takes the form of setting up barriers against the unpredictable. For example, saving for a rainy day (hardships come at unpredictable times) or inspecting buildings for fire safety (so people can trust that "being inside a building" is a sign of safety against the elements). Within these barriers, where all is trustworthy and familiar, we can survive and enjoy what is precious to us--for a while.

Introverted Intuition (Ni) focuses on what is inexpressible--the incommensurable and chaotic things that exist outside of any conceptual framework. For example, what do you hear in the theme-and-variations movement of Beethoven's String Quartet Op. 131? There is a meaning there, but you can't put it into words. Any attempt to put it into words will result in only a tawdry parody of the reality. Better to remain silent. As an epistemological perspective, Ni leads you to view all signs as meaningless or even deceptive, not necessarily connected to what they're supposed to represent. The true reality is something that exists beyond all signs and appearances, and can only be apprehended by a kind of direct intuition. To learn truth, one must learn to see through appearances--to make contact with a reality that cannot be seen or said. As an ethical perspective, Ni leads you to hold yourself apart from and unaffected by the meanings that others attach to words and events--to keep your own vision pure and pursue your own path regardless of evidence, reasons, or the opinions of others.

Introverted Thinking (Ti) makes sense of the world by apprehending it in terms of effects emerging from a cause, or a harmony of elements. For example, the way a beautifully made desk appears to emerge from a single idea. As an epistemological perspective, Ti leads one to trust only things that you understand first-hand for yourself, preferably through direct, hands-on interaction. You must see for yourself how a given thing or subject makes sense. Knowledge must emerge from the concrete reality itself, not from preconceived categories or criteria, and the search for knowledge must follow wherever logic and the subject matter lead, regardless of how people feel about it. As an ethical perspective, Ti leads you to do what is best for the system regardless of reward or gain or social conventions that define right and wrong behavior. For example, the sense of "natural law" that guides Clint Eastwood to do what needs doing in Old West towns regardless of the law.

Introverted Feeling (Fi) makes sense of the world by relating everything to universal human needs and callings. For example, understanding the actions of a bully as the expression of an unmet need to be connected and feel important. Understanding that, we can see the bully without judgement: we can see him as a living being not so different from ourselves, seeking to fulfill his needs just as we do, but in a way that creates unnecessary conflict. As an epistemological perspective, Fi leads you to take whatever a person thinks or believes as an expression of that person's unique nature--not to criticize it because it fails to live up to some externally imposed criteria like whether or not it's "logical" or "appropriate". As an ethical perspective, Fi leads you to act out of empathy regardless of the social status or "deservingness" of the beneficiary. Fi leads you to view all living things as equal in value, all needing to thrive in interpersonal harmony without giving up any of their uniqueness.
Extraverted Function Attitudes

The Extraverted perspectives lead you to use present-day opportunities and circumstances as the ultimate building blocks of your beliefs. Extraverted perspectives provide ways to negotiate through the present-day world, making sense of situations quickly and knowing where you stand in relation to them and what you want to do.

Extraverted Sensation (Se) makes sense of the world by attending to what exists concretely here and now, and trusting your instincts. As an epistemological perspective, Se leads you to believe only in what you can see and experience concretely, and to trust your immediate, gut-level responses to it. If it looks like a duck, walks like a duck, sounds like a duck, then it's a duck. Whatever a sign means is obvious and inescapable; if a sign's meaning is not obvious, then it's meaningless. Whatever is physical, immediate, gut-level cannot be faked and must be right. For example, if you sense that someone is up to no good, then you trust that sense. If you have an impulse to paint the town red, then you go out and do so. As an ethical perspective, Se leads you to believe that life is to be lived right now, "in the moment", responding to things immediately and without thought. What matters most in life is what makes the biggest perceivable impact, whatever stands out in a way that can't be ignored. Se leads you to develop a persona that is attractive and "hip" according to the conventions of your society and your time--to go with the flow without stopping to question the direction. If something isn't fun, then don't do it.

Extraverted Intuition makes sense of the world by seeing ways to incorporate what is known into a broader context--breaking through the limits of current concepts. For example, sensing, before nearly anyone else, that high-bandwidth communication networks would "change the rules" of commerce. As an epistemological perspective, Ne leads you to practice "out of the box" thinking. There are never any final answers, just more and more opportunities to shift concepts and make sense of things in new ways. Whatever we think things mean today, we'll probably find out tomorrow they mean something different. As an ethical perspective, Ne leads you to take risks and dive into the unknown--stacking the deck to some extent by diving into areas that look especially fertile, but genuinely entering the unknown and allowing it to send your mind in new directions. If you don't know, just guess! Try something, and information will come to you--but only if you stir up the pot. From an Ne perspective, life is a succession of opportunities to pounce on, each opportunity opening up more that you can't yet see.

Extraverted Thinking makes sense of the world by viewing things "objectively": in terms of categories and measurements that can be defined in advance of observation. For example, defining the specifications of a wheel that make it acceptable for use on the road. Stable categories and measurements enable people to define shared goals and enforce agreements fairly. You can tell whether the wheel met the specifications or not; anyone can tell, because the specifications are defined independently of both the wheel and the person doing the measuring. As an epistemological perspective, Te leads you to be concerned with logical and empirical justification. No conclusion may be accepted until it has been grounded on a firm foundation of other facts that have themselves been firmly established. What has not been tested is unknown; what cannot be tested is meaningless. As an ethical perspective, Te leads to a life of "rational hill-climbing": making every decision according to well-defined criteria for what counts as better and worse. You might not know how to get to your goal, but at each decision, you take the choice that leads closer to it: you improve your position at every opportunity. Moral codes in a Te worldview emphasize keeping one's promises. Justice is understood as a social agreement negotiated by all parties, which specifies rewards and punishments that must be enforced fairly according to objective rules.

Extraverted Feeling (Fe) makes sense of the world by viewing it in terms of where you stand with other people: interpreting signs that indicate the category of your relationship. As an epistemological perspective, Fe leads you to view every sign as an expression of people's loyalties. A simple example is that displaying a flag demonstrates your loyalty to country. What matters is how you go above and beyond efficient means to an end. For example, throwing a party in someone's honor is not "necessary" for survival: it's a gesture that goes above and beyond survival, expressing your feelings for the guest of honor in a way that all can understand. From an Fe perspective, words are never neutral descriptions of fact: your choice of words, your choice of topic, is a declaration of your feelings and loyalties. As an ethical perspective, Fe leads you to believe that "life is with people": to understand one's value and meaning in terms of your standing in the community--in terms of the people whom you influence and their feelings about you.

Also, ENFP and ESFJ an appear somewhat similar as they are both in the GET THINGS GOING interaction style (initiating and informing). They are also both affiliative. This leaves structure or motive as the biggest difference http://www.typologycentral.com/foru...27-quick-guide-double-checking-your-type.html

G

garbage

I signed up as ESFJ :)doh:) and finally found my ENFP calling. My sister is also ESFJ. I'd be glad to try to answer any questions you might have.

My first impression of you is ESFJ. I can't really base that on anything other than that your description sounds like something my ESFJ sister would write and not like something that I would write.

If I had to compare me and her:
- I seem to "leave people alone" if I get a sense that they don't feel like talking, where she has no problem talking with them and attempting to raise the emotional atmosphere. Sometimes I can't help but view that as inappropriate or 'fake' (but I recognize that it actually isn't).
- She's more prone to wanting comfort--good foods, hot tubs, and so on--than I am. I tend to ignore that stuff, and sometimes it gets the better of me.
- I tend to let information sink in and accept it before I determine whether it 'makes sense' or not, where she prejudges most information right away. (Again, I place no value judgment on either approach.)

Are there any specific points in the profiles that you agree or disagree with?

ISFPeaceOut

MBTI Type
????
Thank you for all the replies. I seemed to identify most with Fi, Se, and Fe. I did identify with Ne in the sense that I'm pretty good at improvising. For example, Ive always been really good at putting things like new furniture together, but I never read the directions. They're more of a last resort.

Also, I dont know if this has anything to do with type but I'm really good at playing music on the piano by ear and I also am excellent with maps and navigating. Like I said, I dont know if any of this is relevent to the myers-briggs types, but I thought I'd throw it out there.

ISFPeaceOut

MBTI Type
????
Another thing I'd like to add is that its always perplexed me a little bit that I'm and F and not a T. People's feelings are very important to me and I do take them into consideration when making decisions, but I've also been known as "the smart one" all of my life. I did better than all of the boys in my computer science class and I even won first place in the math bowl out of 27 different schools. I also really like puzzles and sudoku. I have so many "nerdy" thinking qualities that its weird that I dont type as a thinker.

simulatedworld

Freshman Member
MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
7w6
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
Another thing I'd like to add is that its always perplexed me a little bit that I'm and F and not a T. People's feelings are very important to me and I do take them into consideration when making decisions, but I've also been known as "the smart one" all of my life. I did better than all of the boys in my computer science class and I even won first place in the math bowl out of 27 different schools. I also really like puzzles and sudoku. I have so many "nerdy" thinking qualities that its weird that I dont type as a thinker.

Thinkers don't have a monopoly on intelligence/puzzles/computers/science. That's not what the Thinking preference means; there's no reason a Feeler can't be as good or better at these kinds of skills.

BlueScreen

Fail 2.0
MBTI Type
YMCA

I built my whole school grade on maths ability, pretty much failed at English and languages. I know a lot of ENFPs on here are quite strong in maths. As Sim said, it isn't a T/F thing.

How would you describe the parts you protect of people's feelings? In what way do you protect them, maybe give an example. The ESFJ and ENFP might see and approach these things very differently, even though they are both interested in the impact on people.

sleepy

I built my whole school grade on maths ability, pretty much failed at English and languages. I know a lot of ENFPs on here are quite strong in maths. As Sim said, it isn't a T/F thing.
Agreed. Math was one of my most interesting classes, and I did not have much difficulties. Even differential equations went through quite smoothly. I did however strugle somewhat with matrices, not really how they where to be solved, but in application, since this often went over to the real of physics, that I did not understand much of at all. It was basically just that I understood the math that saved me in those disciplines. Chemistry was my favourite.

So maybe physics is more T, while math is more F. Most in my class it was the opposite, or no preferance. I've lost all interest now, but I did enjoy doing math the best from most all of the evils I had to choose from.

ISFPeaceOut

MBTI Type
????
Thanks for clarifying about T/F. Its funny you say that physics might be more of a T thing because Ive actually always hated physics.

I guess an example of taking people into consideration would be that I feel like I'm always trying to either relieve someone elses problems or keep myself from being a burden on them. I tend to accomodate people.

I dont really care about what other people think of me, except for my close relatives. For example, I'm in college and I've had a lot of trouble picking a major because I dont want to dissapoint my family. Like I said before, Ive always been "the smart one" so my family sees a lot of potential in me. I have changed my major a few times now from journalism to civil engineering and then to computer science. All of that was based on trying to live up to the potential that others see in me.

After a couple of years of not being true to myself I finally broke down and decided to major in sociology and anthropology which is something that Ive always wanted to study. I've always wanted to be a teacher so I'm also taking a bunch of extra math and education classes so that I can have enough to teach in my state as well.

I hope those examples clarify things. :/

sleepy

Thanks for clarifying about T/F. Its funny you say that physics might be more of a T thing because Ive actually always hated physics.
lol-maybe I'm the T then :vader1:

Srsly-T/F is just preferences. Don't think it says much about ability. And as we know, preference does not have to be things you do best, might even be the things you do the worst... :wacko: In addition for RL it's relative, and imo few us are truly singular.

Venom

Babylon Candle
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
1w9
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
ESFJ 3w2... just a guess... what do the rest of you guys think?

BlueScreen

Fail 2.0
MBTI Type
YMCA
I'm thinking ENFP after the last post (if I have to choose one of the two options listed).

Reasons: Indecisiveness about which major to choose. Very ENFP areas to look at. Journalism, engineering, computer science, sociology, anthropology. Need to keep family happy and have affirmation, but also a strong drive to be true to self. Wanting to be a teacher (one of my favourite jobs). And trying not to be a burden to others. ENFPs tend to have the problem of adapting too much to accommodate and not be imposing sometimes. There's also something about having potential that rings true.

I don't know many ENFPs who outright hate physics though. It seems to be one of those universal things that asks the biggest why questions. And the big why questions are like a drug for ENFPs. Why you hate it would give some insight into your type.

Moiety

MBTI Type
ISFJ
I don't know many ENFPs who outright hate physics though. It seems to be one of those universal things that asks the biggest why questions. And the big why questions are like a drug for ENFPs. Why you hate it would give some insight into your type.

Hmm...I think that might be more of a male thing. And even so, for all my love of physics discussion, extrapolation, theorization...as an actual school subject I found it limiting...because it's often too much about re-applying the same rules over and over again....well, kinda like science in general :tongue:

It's not easy to be creative about it...and as much as ENFPs might love "why?" they might still prefer "what if?".

ISFPeaceOut

MBTI Type
????
You know, I'd like to bump this thread because I'm questioning my type again. I honestly have no idea what I am. All of the stuff I said in the posts above still stands. And I'm open to other options than just ENFP and ESFJ.

Any help or insight would be lovely.

Mal12345

Permabanned
MBTI Type
IxTP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
You know, I'd like to bump this thread because I'm questioning my type again. I honestly have no idea what I am. All of the stuff I said in the posts above still stands. And I'm open to other options than just ENFP and ESFJ.

I grant thee permission to be both ENFP and ESFJ. There may be a strong preference for both. Consider my sig, I have INTP and ENTP, the former just happens to be a slightly greater preference for me. And sometimes I can be ISTJ. The idea that one or the other has to dominate is probably just a myth.

G

Glycerine

They are so radically different. I suspect ENFP....definitely.

Sunny Ghost

Thank you for all the replies. I seemed to identify most with Fi, Se, and Fe. I did identify with Ne in the sense that I'm pretty good at improvising. For example, Ive always been really good at putting things like new furniture together, but I never read the directions. They're more of a last resort.

Also, I dont know if this has anything to do with type but I'm really good at playing music on the piano by ear and I also am excellent with maps and navigating. Like I said, I dont know if any of this is relevent to the myers-briggs types, but I thought I'd throw it out there.
Improvising, I think can come quite easily to those of Se-dominance, as well as Ne. Also, musical "gifts" are typically seen as being more Se type traits. Have you considered ESFP or ISFP? ESFP's are considered your Performers and ISFP's are considered your Artists or Composers. Not that this is always the case. Maybe if you were to list WHY you think you're an ENFP or ESFJ might be helpful. ENFP's are considered your Idealists or Inspirers and ESFJ's are considered your Traditionalist or Guardians. Perhaps a better understanding of Fi and Fe, Si and Se and Ni and Ne, might be helpful to your search for type. ;)

Being a feeler doesn't mean you're dumb or suck at being analytical or figuring out puzzles. It simply means you have a preference to be more subjective or value oriented rather than objective. And then there's the difference between Fi and Fe. With Fi, often our emotions are part of our identity, as well as the fact that we base things upon our subjective values. Fe is concerned more for others emotions and less with their own. Fi can be as well, but it's typically because they don't want to disturb their own peace.

I'm personally not the best in helping to define the differences between Fi and Fe, but I'm sure you can find plenty of research via google or reading around the forum.

I'm thinking ENFP after the last post (if I have to choose one of the two options listed).

Reasons: Indecisiveness about which major to choose. Very ENFP areas to look at. Journalism, engineering, computer science, sociology, anthropology. Need to keep family happy and have affirmation, but also a strong drive to be true to self. Wanting to be a teacher (one of my favourite jobs). And trying not to be a burden to others. ENFPs tend to have the problem of adapting too much to accommodate and not be imposing sometimes. There's also something about having potential that rings true.

Honestly, I think indecisiveness if more of a Perceiving quality than it is an ENFP quality.

Like I said, I think you may be more of an Artisan temperament than an Idealist or Guardian. Look into xSFP, perhaps.

ISFPeaceOut

MBTI Type
????
As you can see by my screename, at one point I was convinced I was an ISFP and then I later decided that ESFP fit better. Then I began questioning it again. Sometimes I think I get a little to boxed in when I settle on a type so I start looking for a new type. . This thread is a little over a year old so I don't remember why it was just between ESFJ or ENFP. But now I'm open to all the types.

Mal12345

Permabanned
MBTI Type
IxTP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
As you can see by my screename, at one point I was convinced I was an ISFP and then I later decided that ESFP fit better. Then I began questioning it again. Sometimes I think I get a little to boxed in when I settle on a type so I start looking for a new type. . This thread is a little over a year old so I don't remember why it was just between ESFJ or ENFP. But now I'm open to all the types.

My wife had exactly the same problem. She would have a problem with getting differing results on these tests, and finally she would give up and declare simply, "I'm just me."

She is an ISFP.