• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

I can't tell if he's an ESFP or an INTP. No joke.

BlueSprout

/X\(:: :: )/X\
MBTI Type
pfni
Enneagram
I know a person who tested ESFP twice but who acts like an INTP when he is alone or with one other person. He is like an ESFP in that he thrives on contact with others, has a large network of friends/rotating girlfriends and is a self-described 'hedonist' who gravitates toward the sensual. However, he spends many hours alone reading books and watching lecture videos about philosophy. He plans to pursue philosophy as a major and is quietly and intensely engaged when listening to someone discuss related topics. He picks apart and critiques arguments carefully, even journaling about his thoughts on what he is learning. It is clear that he spends more time alone, reflecting on broader existential issues, than partying. He even seems to need this ability to retreat. Also, I suspect some of the sensualism is attached to Si, not Se, as he says that music, scents, etc. have meaning to him because they evoke specific memories and experiences. I don't know what to make of it, honestly.

King sns

MBTI Type
enfp
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Sounds possibly ENTP, actually,
though I would go by what he tests, since he knows himself best. And of course he could be very very balanced.

BlueSprout

MBTI Type
pfni
Enneagram
ENTP even if he's admitted that he's self conscious a lot of the time and prefers not to be around people more often than not?

King sns

MBTI Type
enfp
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
ENTP even if he's admitted that he's self conscious a lot of the time and prefers not to be around people more often than not?

Yes, possibly. I mean, IME ENTP's come of very social, attention getting, and outgoing. On closer look, they are some of the more introverted of extroverts because they have the NT wanting to get lost in thoughts, learning, theorizing, and less reliant on people than your average SF. Often times ending up in their room, reading things, doing whatever interests them the most, though it seems very contraindicated to their friendly, gregarious personalities.

I'm thinking of a few ENTP's, but one in particular who I talked about it with. He said, "I love my friends and going out, but I really, really need my me time to reflect and think about things and do things on my own." He seems very outgoing at first and I actually had him typed ESFP before I knew him very well. Similar to myself in mannerisms, a lot of people called him the male version of me, but on closer look, he was actually very very different.

As far as "self conscious", I think that could go for any type.
After reading the OP, the guy reminds me very much of that. Except, again, his assessment of himself is probably best. After getting to know him better you may learn more about his motives and stuff.

Kra

Black Magic Buzzard
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
4w5
ESFPs can't like intellectual activities?

Jokes aside, he sounds pretty balanced. ESFPs have an INTJ shadow, maybe his is vented regularly, and thus well-developed/healthy.

BlueSprout

MBTI Type
pfni
Enneagram
Yes, possibly. I mean, IME ENTP's come of very social, attention getting, and outgoing. On closer look, they are some of the more introverted of extroverts because they have the NT wanting to get lost in thoughts, learning, theorizing, and less reliant on people than your average SF. Often times ending up in their room, reading things, doing whatever interests them the most, though it seems very contraindicated to their friendly, gregarious personalities.

I'm thinking of a few ENTP's, but one in particular who I talked about it with. He said, "I love my friends and going out, but I really, really need my me time to reflect and think about things and do things on my own." He seems very outgoing at first and I actually had him typed ESFP before I knew him very well. Similar to myself in mannerisms, a lot of people called him the male version of me, but on closer look, he was actually very very different.

Thank you. This sounds an aweful lot like him. I guess I never considered that ENTPs could be so broody. :D I've seen him spend a month completely isolating himself and only inviting girls over for an evening every once in a while. No joke. I don't know how he does it. :shock:

King sns

MBTI Type
enfp
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx

Jokes aside, he sounds pretty balanced. ESFPs have an INTJ shadow, maybe his is vented regularly, and thus well-developed/healthy.

Yea, that's probably actually more accurate than my ENTP synopsis. If he's testing ESFP and not seeming like one than I think it may be impossible to tell his motives and thoughts and such that lead up to this "different" esfp type behavior.

BlueSprout

MBTI Type
pfni
Enneagram

It was mostly the Si-motivated sensuality and his retreating activity that made me think he might be INTP. I guess he could have been ISTP too, but he really doesn't like to get his hands dirty like most of the ISTPs I know. He also doesn't pay great attention to detail most of the time.

Edited: scratch that. ISTPs use Se.

Kra

Black Magic Buzzard
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
4w5
Yea, that's probably actually more accurate than my ENTP synopsis. If he's testing ESFP and not seeming like one than I think it may be impossible to tell his motives and thoughts and such that lead up to this "different" esfp type behavior.

It's just a guess. Your suggestion of ENTP is also a good possibility. :)

King sns

MBTI Type
enfp
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
It's just a guess. Your suggestion of ENTP is also a good possibility.

Yea, I think its pretty much impossible to tell from this information. There are a world of possibilities. ENTP was the very immediate thing that popped into my head and made the most sense, but at the same time wouldn't box him into it either.

BlueSprout

MBTI Type
pfni
Enneagram
These are just questions. What would cause an ENTP to withdraw for weeks or a month at a time? To stumble over words or stay silent during most debates even if they are very knowledgable?

Edited: I guess these seem on their surface very different from the expected ENTP love of debate and engagement with the world. I'm not saying ENTP is wrong, but I just want to account for the difference.

King sns

MBTI Type
enfp
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
These are just questions. What would cause an ENTP to withdraw for weeks or a month at a time? To stumble over words or stay silent during most debates even if they are very knowledgable?

Edited: I guess these seem on their surface very different from the expected ENTP love of debate and engagement with the world. I'm not saying ENTP is wrong, but I just want to account for the difference.

I'm not really sure, that would confuse me, too. I think this question would be better answered by ENTP's possibly in the same situation. If he is in fact an extrovert, the only explanation I could think of is social anxiety, since most extroverts like to bounce their ideas off others.

RaptorWizard

Permabanned
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
I can't tell if Jar Jar Binks is ESFP or INTP. Somebody help!

Jar-Jars-Tongue.jpg

This person by the way discussed in this thread sounds like an INTP who mistyped himself on purpose just to be funny. I after all, as an IxTP think its funny to shift from INTP to ISTP to ESTP to ESFP, and tell people I am either Ti or Se dominant!

edit - btw, I HATE ESFPs!