• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Type me!

G

Ginkgo

This thread makes me feel better about the one I made.

But seriously. ENFP. Ne is driveling all over this shit like chocolate moose on watermelon.

m7eBZmZM4ls33kzfpvfNxa7bo1_400.jpg

Space_Oddity

MBTI Type
CAT
Instinctual Variant
so
Wow... this is really getting fascinating.

You know what? I agree with Solitary Walker's statement that MBTI is folklore. I'm getting more and more convinced that most of it really doesn't have anything to do with actual typology, let alone psychology. I'm not trying to insult anyone by that, just the opposite, I'm tremendously interested in folklore, so I find it captivating.

The elements of folklore in MBTI:

It makes people come together and discuss; talk about themselves and their lifes, their loved ones, acquaintances, pets, and exchange experiences; tell stories and provoke imagination.

No one on this board is a professional (actually, I doubt there is such thing as an MBTI professional...), therefore no one can say what mistakes are the other doing and correct them. If I used a parallel with fairy-tales, no one actually 'was there' and 'saw it'. However, some people are here long enough to be considered professionals and have a certain unquestioned authority of 'the elders'.

Other people might have read Jung, but no one knows with certainty who these people are, because you can't tell just from interaction with them, and even if you did, you never know if they didn't misinterpret it and don't just spread the confusion.

Otherwise, everyone here has their own interpretation of MBTI. To use a parallel, everyone is telling their own version of the fairy-tale, which mirrors their own personality. The version might be based on various profiles (which always say something else and are often considered 'bullshit') and experiences with people who did the test and got whatever result, which might have been wrong. And even if it wasn't, someone else will always say that they have 'different experience' with who-knows-what-type-it-really-was, because everyone understands something else by 'type'. In other words, 'they have heard the story differently', and will always argue that their version (that they again adjusted a little) is right.

Meanwhile, lots of people will be accussed of telling bullshit, because we never know how deep the other's knowledge of the subject really is; we don't know what kind of person the one at the other end really is (apart from a vague 'type'). Therefore, we can either assume that they're just trying to appear smart when they're actually idiots and don't believe them a word, or do the opposite and unquestioningly believe them (often just because we like and respect them), even though they actually might be only trying to appear smart and really be idiots. At the same time, MBTI helps us to find our place in the world and find some understanding of the world around us and become a unity with it.

Seriously, this has so many similarities with myths that it isn't even funny. And I seriously find it magical, because I was afraid that apart from urban legends and jokes the folklore almost disappeared. It looks like it will take more than three centuries of science to make that happen.

Little Linguist

Striving for balance
MBTI Type
xNFP
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
The more I read about various types and their motivations, the clearer it is that I must be an idealist.

Does anyone want to contend E? I hope not, because if so, you're a dumb ass. A weak E, I grant you, but an E nonetheless.

And I'm a J, damn it.

So ENFJ with high Ne and decent Fi. Take that, chew it, eat it, spit it out, or choke on it for all I give a shit.

And that's my final answer.

Probably.

Until someone proves otherwise beyond a reasonable doubt.

*Meows and curls up in a little wicker basket in front of the fireplace*

Little Linguist

Striving for balance
MBTI Type
xNFP
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
Explain how you experience Ni, now. :D

I know shit. ;) However, it's usually shit no one cares about. :coffee:

No, that's just a joke.

Well I'm not going to say, "To tell the future," if that's what you're looking for. According to the definition I found, it said:

Intuitive people process data through impressions, possibilities and meanings, so the Introverted Intuition function allows a person to have a sense about the future. It is the ability to grasp and get a sense of a pattern or plan. Information that is usually hard to understand and dissect is easily processed through Introverted Intuition.

If anyone argues that I don't use intuition, they're a fucking idiot. Period.

Now a lot of people argue that I primarily use extraverted intuition because I'm weird and shit and have a vivid imagination, which is also bullshit. But anyway.

I use the ability to grasp patterns and plans constantly as well as the ability to dissect complex information. Hell, that's what teachers do.

But I do not do it for itself. It is not an end. It is a means to an end, and that end is helping others reach their potential. To help them grow.

I'm a results-oriented person. I get very grumpy if my hard work does not come to fruition. But my results-orientation doesn't ring true with ESTJ because it's mostly people-based.

My talents lie in arts and humanities. They lie in discovering what people need to succeed and meeting those needs, in seeking what does not apparently 'meet the eye.'

Unlike an ESFJ, who is concerned with meeting people's physical needs and practical needs, I look towards something else that I cannot clearly define.

Perfect example:

I was on a class trip with a woman who I am pretty sure is ESTJ and a man who I am pretty sure is IXTP. You can imagine how much fun that was. :rolli: I knew from the first that this dynamic was going to be challenging - I literally felt it in my gut - my stomach was ill nearly the entire time.

Control freak meets lethargic lari-fari. Lovely. And guess who was the asshole in between. Yeah. Me.

The ESTJ constantly was controlling things. Me too. But we had completely different focus. She was all about the practical matters "She's not eating much. He is speaking German when he should be speaking English. She is tired. He did this. She did that."

However, I didn't even fucking notice these things were going on. Quite frankly, since it was my first time teaching the class, I was glad she was the Iron Lady so that I could focus on other things. She was controlling this. Controlling that.

On the other hand, I was developing ideas, planning, brainstorming. Thinking up cool activities for the kids. Making sure everyone was happy and satisfied mentally and emotionally. Making sure the kids had fun. Lifting them up, supporting them where I could. And YES, being strict when I had to.

But not like the Iron Lady, completely different. I wasn't scanning if Johnny ate his salad or if Sandra was on her skateboard outside the boundaries we set. I was making sure Katie was developing her English skills, that Michael was participating more and opening up. And if not, how could I re-work things to make the kids grow as much as possible?

Poor IXTP on the other hand was so constricted by Ms. ESXJ, that he was practically paralyzed. He couldn't think. He couldn't act. Besides, it is not his strong point to motivate the kids and act anyway, and her hounding him wasn't helping. I had foreseen that this would blow up eventually.

One evening, indeed, the two of them drastically EXPLODED. Accusations were flying left and right, and it was clear to me that if the fire department did not come quickly, the whole house was going to burn down.

I know my skills are not apparent on here, but using my what-the-hell-ever you want to call it, I calmed both of them down. I listened to each side, and once they were calm enough and saw their needs were being met, we managed to brainstorm solutions and get through the experience. Whew. God damn. My stomach was aching. I felt the tension, I felt the negative vibes. It made me very, very uncomfortable, and I would have loved to retreat to my room and let them kill each other. But I did it for the kids. I wanted to think about the kids. We found our common ground, which was making this shit work fairly well for the rest of the time, and went on from there.

I felt physically ill during this stressful time, but I kept my cool and made shit work. She liked me. He liked/tolerated me. They hated each other. I was kind of the glue that kept the whole shit together.

*sigh*

What pissed me off about the whole thing was that this dumb-ass bullshit distracted me from what I wanted to do most, which was dream up good ideas for the kids. Instead, I had to be a fucking kindergarten teacher keeping the bully from beating up the shy kid. Fuck a duck.

Lauren Ashley

Revelation
MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
So you use Te and Ne the most, yet you concluded on ENFJ? How does that work?

Little Linguist

Striving for balance
MBTI Type
xNFP
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
So you use Te and Ne the most, yet you concluded on ENFJ? How does that work?

*sigh* Am I speaking Russian? Chinese? Latin? :rolli:

I have made the following conclusions after additional reseach:

1. I am an idealist (translation: NF)

2. I am an extravert (translation: E)

THAT IS CLEAR and if anyone debates this any further, have at it, but I'm probably not going to be convinced unless you provide clear, persuasive argumentation.

E-N-F...

So, now everyone is speaking all this mumbo-jumbo about cognitive functions. That's great. Have we looked at my cognitive functions? Ne, Ni, Fe, Fi were the highest. So what in flying carpets in purgatory is wrong with debating ENFJ?

Can we please stick to the following ideas - ENFP and ENFJ?

And quite frankly, I don't know why everyone is so dead-set on ENFP.

VagrantFarce

I can't remember if I posted this or not, but hell, it's better than nothing:

Stand up and visualize time as a continuum flowing from future to past. Spatially indicate with your hands where the future, present, and past are, respectively, in relation to yourself. Try to actually FEEL where they are around you by touching them with your hands. After you have done so (for real! -- not just in your head!), read this.

Let's see if it points to anything. :cry:

Lauren Ashley

Revelation
MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
*sigh* Am I speaking Russian? Chinese? Latin? :rolli:

I have made the following conclusions after additional reseach:

1. I am an idealist (translation: NF)

2. I am an extravert (translation: E)

THAT IS CLEAR and if anyone debates this any further, have at it, but I'm probably not going to be convinced unless you provide clear, persuasive argumentation.

E-N-F...

So, now everyone is speaking all this mumbo-jumbo about cognitive functions. That's great. Have we looked at my cognitive functions? Ne, Ni, Fe, Fi were the highest. So what in flying carpets in purgatory is wrong with debating ENFJ?

Can we please stick to the following ideas - ENFP and ENFJ?

And quite frankly, I don't know why everyone is so dead-set on ENFP.

Why is Fe highest? I haven't seen you really use Fe... at all. You seem personally focused, your goals, your ideas, your feelings. Nothing you've done on this forum suggests that you're invested in helping others reach their potential and that's what Fe types are focused on. You say that's what you like to do, but like I said before, actions speak louder than words.

As for why ENFP, I've given my thoughts on why, in this thread and in your blog.

cascadeco

MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
9w1
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Ugh. "You've got Ne, Te, Si, and Fi" is about the same as saying "you have a light mauve aura with a twinge of raspberry essence." You can try to make it sound all scientific with function shorthand, but the fact is that you have no way to know what is inside another person's mind. You can observe behavior, and that is filtered through your own perspective, but any notion that you can determine whether someone is "dom-Fe" as if that's a provable fact is just guesswork.

You're right, I have no idea what's going on in someone's mind. However, that's not really necessary when you're talking about the extroverted functions - Fe, Se, Te, Ne. Those ARE pretty observable, even in an online forum. Ne-dom's are pretty obvious, as is Fe in all of the FJ's (compared to the FP's) and Te in the TJ's. It's not that hard to pick up trends.

And yeah, of course a lot of this is 'guesswork' - and I'm the first to say I think a lot of mbti/cog function theory is crap (at least in the way many/most people utilize it..sorta along the lines of SolitaryWalker's 'folk typology' rants). Anyone who's read half of my babbling posts on the subject will know I'm not a fan of strict function order, and I always say there's a lot more to human personality than functions. BUT, if we're actually on a site that's about mbti, it's just a fact of the matter that if we're gonna stick someone in one of 16 types, some sort of framework will have to be followed.

Little Linguist

Striving for balance
MBTI Type
xNFP
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
You know what my problem is? I'm reading a bunch of populist shit, and I need real scientific literature, and I don't know if there is any.

Little Linguist

Striving for balance
MBTI Type
xNFP
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
Anyway, I talked to my husband, who knows me pretty well, I dare say.

When I read ENFJ, he said that fit me very well, with the one caveat that I work much better on my own two feet than in a team. He said that teams pull me down unless they happen to be good teams, and I am much more effective and prefer working alone for the good of others (which is true). Otherwise, it fits perfectly.

When I read ENFP, he pretty much thought it was cat shit.

When I brought up INFJ and INFP for discussion and he read 'introvertiert' he said, "I don't even need to read that: You are NOT introverted."

Just because you work most effectively alone running your own ship doesn't mean you're introverted.

NewEra

MBTI Type
I
You know what would help if you're having trouble typing yourself? I would say get away from MBTI for a while (try a week if it's not difficult), and then come back after this time with an open mind, read the type descriptions, be honest, and type yourself (preferably without using these tests at first).

Jeffster

veteran attention whore
MBTI Type
ESFP
Enneagram
7w6
Instinctual Variant
sx
Why is Fe highest? I haven't seen you really use Fe... at all. You seem personally focused, your goals, your ideas, your feelings. Nothing you've done on this forum suggests that you're invested in helping others reach their potential and that's what Fe types are focused on.

Uhhh..did you miss the part where she told me that what she lives for is helping people realize their potential?? And she never said "Fe is highest." She said she made the conclusion she's an Idealist who's extroverted. You gotta read the actual words being said rather than making up your own. ;)

BUT, if we're actually on a site that's about mbti, it's just a fact of the matter that if we're gonna stick someone in one of 16 types, some sort of framework will have to be followed.

Fair enough, but even though I know the title of the forum was changed for legal reasons, the fact is that it did change, and it doesn't have "MBTI" in it anymore. Typology is the study of types, and it doesn't necessarily have to be limited to one system, especially if that system doesn't seem to fit a person and is just confusing.

Lauren Ashley

Revelation
MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Uhhh..did you miss the part where she told me that what she lives for is helping people realize their potential?? And she never said "Fe is highest." She said she made the conclusion she's an Idealist who's extroverted. You gotta read the actual words being said rather than making up your own. ;)
You should take your own advice. She said Ne, Ni, Fe, Fi were the highest. And I saw her cognitive functions results; those were all pretty much equal. Also, you apparently missed the part where I said "Actions speak louder than words." I've been going through all her old posts...nothing suggests Fe dominant since the day she signed up here.

JustHer

Pumpernickel
MBTI Type
ENTJ
It sounds like you and babylon are very much alike, both deciding on ENFJ enneagram 1.

As for the teams comment, the ENFJ I know never actively seeks out working on teams and seems to enjoy doing things in his own way. He is still very much extraverted though!

Jeffster

veteran attention whore
MBTI Type
ESFP
Enneagram
7w6
Instinctual Variant
sx
You should take your own advice. She said Ne, Ni, Fe, Fi were the highest. And I saw her cognitive functions results; those were all pretty much equal. Also, you apparently missed the part where I said "Actions speak louder than words." I've been going through all her old posts...nothing suggests Fe dominant since the day she signed up here.

Yeah, once again we're talking past each other. You have your mind made up that something called "Fe dominant" is necessary for one to show in message board posts in order for that person to most closely identify with an ENFJ personality type. I disagree with that, so I guess there's nothing more to say on the matter. :jew: