• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Type me!

Thalassa

Permabanned
MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sx
The second one is INFJ.

Little Linguist

Striving for balance
MBTI Type
xNFP
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
I'm starting to feel really grumpy because I feel as if I'm getting nowhere fast, and it looks like it is just going to turn out inconclusive. Please, someone tell me we are making progress.

Wondering if what's-his-face wasn't right when he said I'm in a Ne-Te loop, "That doesn't make sense-New possibilities-That doesn't make sense-New possibilities-That doesn't make sense-New possibilities." DAMN IT! It's inane.

Whyyyy is it so hard for me to figure this out? I'm about ready to give up and go eanie-meanie-miney-mo (However you spell that).

Damn it, damn it, damn it! :steam: Everyone else can figure this stuff out, and not me.

/DG/

silentigata ano (profile)
I'm starting to feel really grumpy because I feel as if I'm getting nowhere fast, and it looks like it is just going to turn out inconclusive. Please, someone tell me we are making progress.

Wondering if what's-his-face wasn't right when he said I'm in a Ne-Te loop, "That doesn't make sense-New possibilities-That doesn't make sense-New possibilities-That doesn't make sense-New possibilities." DAMN IT! It's inane.

Whyyyy is it so hard for me to figure this out? I'm about ready to give up and go eanie-meanie-miney-mo (However you spell that).

Damn it, damn it, damn it! :steam: Everyone else can figure this stuff out, and not me.

Hey, don't fret about it. Obviously, you aren't going to find your type anytime soon. Not everyone is meant to know their type or even fit into one of the categories. There are only sixteen categories and every singe one of the six billion+ people on Earth will not fit in them. If you're really that into it, why not trying to get a "professional" to help you out with your type? Right now this sounds like an obsession. You really need to chillax. Here, watch this video:
[youtube=V_pnohdxywo]YAY[/youtube]

Now, if you're still thinking about MBTI, then you should really have some sort of real-time consult about it.

Thalassa

Permabanned
MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sx
Did you take Vagrant Farce's new prototype? I think it's fairly spot on now.

VagrantFarce

Yes, new super-duper-test-that-now-gets-somewhat-accurate-results in my signature :)

Tyrant

MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
LOL @ "Folk Typology." Pretty much. SW laying the smack down.

Heart&Brain

MBTI Type
ENFP
Her continued over-emphasis on normality and the way things "should be" steered me away from Ni and toward Si. At first I thought it was just Fe responding to the home environment and church in which she was raised that was fueling her judgements, which made me insist INFJ, but as the thread wore on Si/Te/Fi began to make a lot more sense to me. It would surely explain her reliance upon Te, and the streak of Fi that is making some people say NFP.

I think the functional analysis is a good approach of typing yourself, LL, rather than beginning with the four dichotomies or the 16 wholesale type-descriptions, because a lot of communication- and cultural issues can get in the way: the qualities that are valued by friends and familiy growing up, the qualities dominant in popular culture, the qualities standing out for you because you are trying / needing to develop this function at a given point in your life (like your tertiary or inferior) etc. There are type descriptions we 'wish' we were and type descriptions we wouldn't like to identify with, and it may only come down to poor or ambivalent wording of the wholesale types.
So I agree with marmalade that functional 'flavour' is important.

LL, going by your previous answers to each function, your four primary functions more and more consistently come out as: Te-Si-Ne-Fi.

This narrows your search down to four types, related because they prefer the exact same functions, only in a different order of which function get to dominate which others:
ESTJ = Te-Si + Ne-Fi
ISTJ = Si-Te + Fi-Ne
ENFP = Ne-Fi + Te-Si
INFP = Fi-Ne + Si-Te

It seems you identify most with Te as dominant. It is helped and assisted by a keen eye for detail, faithful to specifics and noticing consistency or deviance from previous experience, thus by Si.
If you were ISTJ Si would determine the use of Te, but with you it seems Te decides how to apply Si.

I think that as each function develops with age, you'll have periods where you'd feel closer to the type having that function as dominant.

If you are indeed closest to the ESTJ-type, you'll have had plenty of early and confident experience with using Te. In puberty and early adulthood you might periodically have had a more introverted focus while getting to know how to supply the strenght of dom-Te with the qualities of aux-Si. You would seem a bit ISTJ-ish occasionally. (I went rather INFP-ishly introverted during puberty myself.)

Though I don't know your age now, I could guess that you are trying on your tertiary Ne for size in these years, thus feeling ENxP-ish at times and getting all confused about everything due to the infamous 'openness' of this function. But you are still ESTJ, don't worry! You are just on the path of getting more dimensions under conscious control.

Any tertiary function is both exciting and exhausting to use eleborately and it will often express itself oppositionally and 'crude'. For example do INTJs have Fi as tertiary and often live their first 30-40 years with a hardly conscious childish feeling-value saying "Oh no, I'm not going to get involved, too risky, not worth the potential hurt!" We ENFPs have Te as teriary and will for years childishly refuse to get organised, be on time and follow an effective goal-directed plan, if what needs to be done isn't improvisationally 'fun', tertiary Te-judgment thus throwing a fit of "I don't wanna do it and you can't make me!" :steam:.... uh...:cheese:)

Summing up:
I think you use Te-Si primarily and Ne-Fi occasionally.
These four functions, in this order, came out stronger, LL, when you commented on your understanding / identification with each function description earlier in the thread.
I also noticed that you did that little piece of research in a stringently systematic and thorough way - so very Te-Si of you, dear, :newwink:!
I wouldn't have had the patience (unless forced to), but would rather intuit a number of promising patterns early on and only scan the rest for possible inconsistencies with my patterns. I pick stuff apart analytically, but it is in order to get new raw material for Ne's constant synthesis of vast connectivities encompassed by a mallable big-picture. I simply cannot NOT see patterns, while you seem to naturally tear potential patterns apart with a critical eye (Te) and a flow of details (Si). It's true that Ne wants more information and will keep options open, but when you are dom-Ne it is not in a frustrating 'Argh, nothing makes sense!'-kind of way, but rather in a 'Hey, this makes sense! And this! And this! And maybe this, if... "-kind of way. :smile:).

What you are doing in this thread could be an expression of tertiary Ne trying to make patterns out in the open field, but in the 'child-way' of NOT yet mastering the synthesis (aka not yet making you able to determine your type-pattern, only to question and re-open everything). Instead the openness of tertiary Ne is expressed by insecurity, exhaustion and suspicion as it temporaily seems to destabilise the usual cognitive balance of the dominant and auxiliary.

But Ne will be a good help once you learn to use it, seeing some potentials that Te can work out if they are judged okay. Only Ne must still be under the supervision of your well-founded Te/Si tandem.

I can speculate that perhaps you'll experience a period of Fi-focus later in life, making you feel a bit INFP-ish at moments. An elder ISTJ I know did this around his 50s, it was nice and unsusual to see this 'hard' man melting emotionally at occasions (Fi is his tertiary, but he had refused 'feeling' for years. Partly due to being male I think).

Hope the above suggestive synthesis chimes with you, LL. What do you think (answer in Te!, please don't Ne it!) about it?

Little Linguist

Striving for balance
MBTI Type
xNFP
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
EUREKA!!!!!!!! WE FOUND IT!!!!!!!!!!

Yes!!!!!!!!!!!! That makes total sense! FINALLY! Listen!!!!!

1. That explains why Solitary was so frustrated with me. He kept asking me to use Fi and find out what felt right and to stop utilizing behavior as an analytical factor. BUT THAT IS HOW I ANALYZE! I use the past behavior to organize it and 'find patterns'.

2. In fact, I always thought Ne was taking pieces of the puzzle and put them together. BUT NOW I KNOW - THAT'S TE ISN'T IT????? I thought it was all about finding patterns, but no, it's putting the patterns together!

3. Everyone gets frustrated with me in chat. They say my silly behavior is not 'real' or is strange!!! But now I know! It's because my Ne is tertiary, isn't it???? It's like a baby trying to run a marathon with experienced runners. THAT explains why all the ENFPs knew I was not ENFP! They saw the Ne and Fi, but something was 'wrong'! I HAD it but just not like an ENFP!

4. All my effusion can be explained very easily: Not only am I an extravert, but I grew up in a feeling dominated household. My dad was F. My grandmother was F . My aunt was F. BUT I SPENT MOST OF MY TIME WITH MY GRANDFATHER WHO WAS T.

5. Yes, I played a lot of make believe as a child, but what was it??? Teaching kids. Writing lists. Showing them THINGS I HAD LEARNED. It wasn't pooping rainbows and flying fish - it was realistic things in my life. It was dancing the ballet. But it was totally haphazard because...YES THIS ALL MAKES SENSE NOW!

6. Why would my family (NF, SFJ) always ask me to remember things???

7. WHY did I type ISTJ with a 20/0 S result??? I always thought it was because it was a shadow!!! NOOOO! It was Si-aux coming out!!! It was so dominant that the test THOUGHT I was ISTJ.

8. Why did my family always ask me to organize things? Why was I so bossy and order them to leave and let me take care of it??? Because it was more EFFECTIVE!!!! I could do it 'better'!!!

9. Why did I always act haughty and arrogant as a child? Because my principles were continuously violated by students. And what were my values??? My FAMILY'S!!! And why??? Because of a sense of duty!!!!

10. Why did I find it so hard to do creative assignments as a child??? Why did I get angry that the TEACHER DID NOT GIVE PRECISE INSTRUCTIONS???

11. Why did I take comfort in my grandparent's strict environment? Why did i flip out when it was not there anymore??? Why did I act like an emo when I did have a breakdown and couldn't function anymore??? IT WAS AN INFP SHADOW!!!! Not like a healthy INFP - an UNHEALTHY ONE who is lethargic, unable to work, etc. Why was I flipping out when the order wasn't there with my parents??? Why did I take comfort in religion for such a long time??? WHY AM I SUCH A HARD WORKER??? WHY DO I HAVE AN ENNEAGRAM 1w2???? AND THAT SHOWS THE SO CALLED F AS WELL!!! THE TWO!!!!!!!

12. Why do I always seek structure??? Order??? Why is it always like click click click click click in my brain when something fits??? I THOUGHT THAT WAS NE BUT MAYBE IT ISN'T!!!!!!!!!

13. Curzon was right - he was WRONG but he was RIGHT! He said "You are in an Ne-Te loop" NOOO I was in a Te-Ne loop!!! "This doesn't make sense! This doesn't fit with the past! Look for new possibilities! This doesn't make sense! This doesn't fit with the past! Look for new possibilities!" He thought it was the OTHER way around, but he found the truth!!!! That's what was wrong with me!

14. That is why everyone thinks I am ENFP. LOOK! When do I come in Vent? When I am chilling! When do I chill? WHEN I AM RELAXING! What am I relaxing!? My dom and aux! What comes out to play`?!?!?! NE AND FI!!!!!! The two functions for ENFP!!!!!!!!!!! That's why people who do not use those functions so much think I am ENFP! Because I use them all the time on here and on Vent! But I always said that is not what I am normally like, and no one believed me!!!!!!! That is why!!!!!!!!!

15. The extraversion, combined with the family F experience, makes people THINK I am F. My profession, teaching, ENCOURAGES F!!!!! That's why people think I am F!!!!! That's why I wasn't F before!!!!!!!

IT ALL FITS!!!!!!!!!

Heart & Brain, I think you are my personal savior. Just saying....

Jeffster

veteran attention whore
MBTI Type
ESFP
Enneagram
7w6
Instinctual Variant
sx
Cool. I'll set the over/under on your next "What's my type?" topic at 2 months. ;)

S

Sniffles

Heart&Brain gave a very good analysis. From my experiences with LL, I can tell that she uses Te quite alot - as Amargith stated pretty much like a sledgehammer.

SolitaryWalker

Tenured roisterer
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
so/sx
That explains why Solitary was so frustrated with me. He kept asking me to use Fi and find out what felt right and to stop utilizing behavior as an analytical factor. BUT THAT IS HOW I ANALYZE! I use the past behavior to organize it and 'find patterns'.....

Okay, I think this is where I throw in the towel. I was saying that it is important to find what your true unconscious tendencies. I said nothing like using Fi or figuring out what 'felt' right. If anything, I was doing the opposite: I was advocating my own, purely conceptual, if not philosophical analysis of typology. My method is different from that of any folk typologist on the account that it insists on logical consistency, which is just about the opposite of doing what feels right. My method is also different from that of a Psychologist who may study MBTI, because the psychologist would conduct empirical studies to understand how people of a certain type behave. I, on the other hand, rely chiefly on apriori reasoning to determine the nature of the underlying framework of all human nature. This framework has nothing to do with behaviors, it merely defines the tendencies of thought that all human beings have. Accordingly, some tendencies must be prevalent over others and your type is defined by the answer to this question: what tendencies of yours are the most dominant?

Anyhow, good work people, especially Heart and Brain. I have a puzzle for you. Lets use the method of folk typology to prove that I am at least one of the following types: ISTP, ESTJ, ESFP and INFP. I will have some information about my life for you in a week.

Tyrant

MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
You're some Delta type (excluding SLI), more than likely EII (INFj). Probably an Enneagram One, too.

Charmed Justice

Nickle Iron Silicone
MBTI Type
INFJ
Told you you reminded me of m EXTJ mother, down to the absolute letter.:coffee:
Glad you've figured it out LL!:yay:I'm happy for you.:yes:

Geoff

Lallygag Moderator
MBTI Type
INXP
Looks like it, and I'd agree too. LL reminds me of two IRL friends who are ESTJ (one of whom is a teacher, and very similar)

Little Linguist

Striving for balance
MBTI Type
xNFP
Instinctual Variant
sx/so

Eh?

Cool. I'll set the over/under on your next "What's my type?" topic at 2 months. ;)

Pssht. Be a good boy, now! ;)

:tongue10:

Nah, but seriously, thank you for your help.

Heart&Brain gave a very good analysis. From my experiences with LL, I can tell that she uses Te quite alot - as Amargith stated pretty much like a sledgehammer.

:)

Okay, I think this is where I throw in the towel. I was saying that it is important to find what your true unconscious tendencies. I said nothing like using Fi or figuring out what 'felt' right. If anything, I was doing the opposite: I was advocating my own, purely conceptual, if not philosophical analysis of typology. My method is different from that of any folk typologist on the account that it insists on logical consistency, which is just about the opposite of doing what feels right. My method is also different from that of a Psychologist who may study MBTI, because the psychologist would conduct empirical studies to understand how people of a certain type behave. I, on the other hand, rely chiefly on apriori reasoning to determine the nature of the underlying framework of all human nature. This framework has nothing to do with behaviors, it merely defines the tendencies of thought that all human beings have. Accordingly, some tendencies must be prevalent over others and your type is defined by the answer to this question: what tendencies of yours are the most dominant?

Anyhow, good work people, especially Heart and Brain. I have a puzzle for you. Lets use the method of folk typology to prove that I am at least one of the following types: ISTP, ESTJ, ESFP and INFP. I will have some information about my life for you in a week.

*sigh* Don't be grumpy. My conclusion was not intended to be frustrating for you. Maybe I misinterpreted something. I'm just NOT able to look at type without noticing congruencies or incongruent aspects.

You're some Delta type (excluding SLI), more than likely EII (INFj). Probably an Enneagram One, too.

Hmm? No. I don't think so. Ask any INFJ. They will tell you.

Told you you reminded me of m EXTJ mother, down to the absolute letter.:coffee:
Glad you've figured it out LL!:yay:I'm happy for you.:yes:

Interesting, eh? I could understand a great deal of what you were saying about her.

So you are going with ESTJ now?

Yes. And it's my final answer. Because it fits and makes sense.

Looks like it, and I'd agree too. LL reminds me of two IRL friends who are ESTJ (one of whom is a teacher, and very similar)

That's also interesting to note.

Aww, thanks, I'm so happy you found it helpful! :blush:

It did. Very much. It made sense in a way nothing else really did before.

S

Sniffles

Hmm? No. I don't think so. Ask any INFJ. They will tell you.
As awesome as it would be if LL were actually INFJ, I'd have to reluctantly say no. She's got that sledgehammer Te vibe to her that's completely alien to my tribe. :)