• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Type me!

Thalassa

Permabanned
MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sx
Okay, okay, I admit, that was the best one so far...but a lot of things still don't fit. My need for closure and security. My need for organization. My Te is a great deal stronger than ^^^ that. And all this feeling...ugh. People. ugh. Geez.

Can't there be a RATIONAL ENFP type? Yeah. That's me. A rational ENFP. Is there such a thing?

Not such a flighty, weird, nutty, drug-using, alcohol-consuming, lari-fari, we-all-have-something-to-offer, let's-have-a-crazy-sexual-avatar, OMG-like-my-values, let's-all-hug-each-other, we-are-all-the-same, having-a-billion-friends-and-acquaintances, crazy, bizarre, feeling, weird, annoying, wacked-out ENFP. (I probably just alienated myself from 99% of ENFPs out there, and get a bunch of hate mail saying I'm stereotyping against ENFPs, but whatever...they strike me as a bunch of hippies just coasting through life. REALLY.) <--- Fe-fail, sorry folks. Well, no I'm not. It's true; it is my impression of a LOT of them. Just have to do a head-smack when I think I'm one of these guys. :doh:

Just a normal, structured, focused, career-oriented, ambitious, quiet, non-party going, just-having-a-few-friends-once-in-a-while, fair, strict, non-rebellious, non-drinking-smoking-drug-using, loyal, reliable, punctual, dependable, dealing-by-the-rules-unless-the-rules-don't-make-sense, analytical, thinking, DECENT ENFP??? That's my type, whatever that is.

Your obsession with "normality" and strongly judgemental criticisms of other people - throughout your childhood descriptions and now - make me think SJ more and more for you. You may very well be an ESTJ or ISTJ.

To call you a "mature" ENFP is a joke.

VagrantFarce

Do you think things work on a fundamentally logical basis?

also:

Tertiary Ne (ESxJ) said:
"Ok, then, I'll bluff. We'll see how he responds to that. I don't know where this is leading, but at least it's leading somewhere new. This takes courage. Most people wouldn't have the courage to reach for the unknown at a time like this, but I can, because I can trust my principles to work in any new situation." The Secondary Function (Si) would say: "What are the facts here, really? Set the decision-making criteria aside and look at the facts freely, without without regard to any particular purpose or how the facts appear to others."

Chloe

Your obsession with "normality" and strongly judgemental criticisms of other people - throughout your childhood descriptions and now - make me think SJ more and more for you. You may very well be an ESTJ or ISTJ.

I agree, mostly. Though I view her criticism as a bit of defense, she could simply hate what she is... so actually even NF isn't excluded.

i also think she should first see which enneagram type she is and how much of her behaviour can be explained by enneagram. She's either 1 or 3...

To call you a "mature" ENFP is a joke

and offensive (not that i'm offended for real haha) way to look at enfps, like being playful, fun-loving and all is.... you know, immaturity. :D

Thalassa

Permabanned
MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sx
I agree, mostly. Though I view her criticism as a bit of defense, she could simply hate what she is... so actually even NF isn't excluded....and offensive (not that i'm offended for real haha) way to look at enfps, like being playful, fun-loving and all is.... you know, immaturity. :D

It's not necessarily offensive, just ridiculous, because a mature ENFP would be more accepting of others, not less. Her on-going, huffy judgements of others actually strike me as a bit childish.

So I should see my way out of this thread before I say something offensive.

Little Linguist

Striving for balance
MBTI Type
xNFP
Instinctual Variant
sx/so

To call you a "mature" ENFP is a joke.

That could very well be. I just wonder how weak Si fits into the equation (not saying you are wrong).

Do you think things work on a fundamentally logical basis?

also:

Hmmmm...They should, but they often do not.

Hmm...I'd say the other temptations were closer, but there may be times in which that temptation could come out as well. The others were closer to the mark, though, I think. I'm more willing to try something new: I don't have such a huge issue with it, if it is necessary, unless it is the 'wrong' thing to do.

I agree, mostly. Though I view her criticism as a bit of defense, she could simply hate what she is... so actually even NF isn't excluded.

i also think she should first see which enneagram type she is and how much of her behaviour can be explained by enneagram. She's either 1 or 3...

and offensive (not that i'm offended for real haha) way to look at enfps, like being playful, fun-loving and all is.... you know, immaturity. :D

Um, okay? That's not what I meant, but whatever...I don't hate what I am, either, for the record...

Chloe

Um, okay? That's not what I meant, but whatever...I don't hate what I am, either, for the record...

I wasn't talking about you, i think someone else called you mature enfp in this thread. but i was talking in general.

and if you dont hate yourself, but you're pretty much annoyed by enfps, it would mean you simply cant be enfp. Right?

It's not necessarily offensive, just ridiculous, because a mature ENFP would be more accepting of others, not less. Her on-going, huffy judgements of others actually strike me as a bit childish.

haha. i agree with this... :) and that's what i meant also

Little Linguist

Striving for balance
MBTI Type
xNFP
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
:laugh:

How do you react when things don't go according to plan?

Well, a little peeved, but then I handle it because what else are you going to do? If you're prepared enough you can handle adverse effects.

Little Linguist

Striving for balance
MBTI Type
xNFP
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
:laugh:

How do you react when things don't go according to plan?

I wasn't talking about you, i think someone else called you mature enfp in this thread. but i was talking in general.

and if you dont hate yourself, but you're pretty much annoyed by enfps, it would mean you simply cant be enfp. Right?

haha. i agree with this... :) and that's what i meant also

I'm normally more diplomatic, but yes, I find it hard to relate to a lot of the behavior of ENFPs, especially of late. And if I say it diplomatically, then you just see how I portray myself to the outside world and not how I really think. No offense was intended, and if I appeared childish, so be it.

VagrantFarce

I'm settling on ENTJ, you don't seem to have the otherworldly detachment of INTJs. :)

VagrantFarce

For the record I'm not convinced you're an STJ since you said Si isn't your strong suit, and you seem to be more intuitive than anything. I think it's safe to disregard those possibilities.

The_Liquid_Laser

Glowy Goopy Goodness
MBTI Type
ENTP
I've found that these type descriptions are some of the best, because they are written by people of the given type:

ENTJ
INTJ

Feel free to look at the other types on that sight if you like, but I think you are likely ENTJ or maybe INTJ.

SolitaryWalker

Tenured roisterer
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
so/sx
Ah, okay. Yes, true. However, would that necessarily be a good indicator of type?

The relevance to typology is the following.

A person who is a thinking type has a distinct tendency to look for structure in activities surrounding him. This faculty is stronger in some people than in others. For example, it is stronger in people who are the dominant thinking type than those who are not.

Accordingly, many of such people, should they develop their dominant function properly often find mathematics very enjoyable. That of course assumes that they received the proper introduction to the subject and did not have any personal or social circumstances that rendered the study of mathematics unpleasant. (E.G, some personal bias against math for any reason, bad teacher, poorly written textbooks..and so on and so forth)

The case is such because Mathematics is a subject rich with logical structure. Such structure is not easily recognized by all people.

The case is not such with language. The structure of language is easily recognized by all people. Because language is also learned more intuitively and contains many ambiguous expressions; it is much less precise and organized than math is.

Hence, if a person always felt at home doing math, as in he always found it comfortable, we have a reason to think that he is probably a thinking type. However, if we see a person who has a knack for languages, we have no reason to assume that he has a tendency to think in a structured manner. All people are fully capable of seeing the structure in language, thinking type or not. Hence, having a knack for language has little to do with the Thinking faculty.

In fact, I would claim the opposite is true. Since language is learned intuitively, a unstructured thinker has an advantage over the structured in learning the language. The first part of it is being in tune with the 'language instinct' as Steven Pinker calls it. (Amazon.com: The Language Instinct: How the Mind Creates Language (P.S.) (9780061336461): Steven Pinker: Books)

The second part is being attentive to people and their culture. Language is significantly influenced by the culture it is spoken in and the personal idiosyncrasies of the people who speak it. Very often the culture and the people of the language appear to be chaotic, or not following a clear pattern of logical reasoning. Hence, a purely systematic thinker would struggle.

As a general rule, fine arts are not an NT field and NFs are much more distinctly represented than NTs are in the foreign language academic departments. On that note, it is unsurprising that many engineers and mathematicians often struggle with writing. There is a great deal that goes into language that contains an artistic element rather than an analytical. When we think of a great use of language, we easily think about poetry, novels and short stories.

All of those contain systematic components of thought, however, people who are experts at composing those forms of literature tend not to be analytical or systematic about what they compose. They don't have anything resembling a calculus of rigorous deduction that mathematicians have.

Charmed Justice

Nickle Iron Silicone
MBTI Type
INFJ
Hence, if a person always felt at home doing math, as in he always found it comfortable, we have a reason to think that he is probably a thinking type.However, if we see a person who has a knack for languages, we have no reason to assume that he has a tendency to think in a structured manner. All people are fully capable of seeing the structure in language, thinking type or not. Hence, having a knack for language has little to do with the Thinking faculty.
What? Don't language(esp. grammar) and logic both fall strongly under "rational" left-brained activity?

Also, wouldn't you need to specify what type of "math" before making such a generalization? I did terribly in Algebra, but I kicked ass in Logic and Statistics. The usage of "math" seems just as innate as the usage of language; equally unavoidable as well. Now, if you're referring to higher level math, of course that's not innate for most people. Neither is higher level grammar.

Heart&Brain

MBTI Type
ENFP
I'd still say ESTJ. You are clearly not identifying with any of the major traits in the Ne-descriptions. No way you are dom-Ne. And Ni doesn't seem like something you feel at all familiar with either.

As for the F, what you tell your students, seems very un-ENFPish. We tend to have lots (sometimes too much!) of patience with all kinds of people because we try to see the best in everyone, thus lots of respect and openness for individual differences. I guess we would often rather change our approach of explaining stuff than blame our students' learningstyle.

And on a side note: ENFPs are generally "rational", if by that you mean academically inclined and suckers for theoretical thinking.

BlueScreen

Fail 2.0
MBTI Type
YMCA
What? Don't language(esp. grammar) and logic both fall strongly under "rational" left-brained activity?

Also, wouldn't you need to specify what type of "math" before making such a generalization? I did terribly in Algebra, but I kicked ass in Logic and Statistics. The usage of "math" is just as innate as the usage of language. Just as unavoidable as well.

I thought the same. It doesn't really work.

I kicked ass at maths. English was my worst subject.

Thalassa

Permabanned
MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sx
I'd still say ESTJ. You are clearly not identifying with any of the major traits in the Ne-descriptions. No way you are dom-Ne. And Ni doesn't seem like something you feel at all familiar with either.

As for the F, what you tell your students, seems very un-ENFPish. We tend to have lots (sometimes too much!) of patience with all kinds of people because we try to see the best in everyone, thus lots of respect and openness for individual differences. I guess we would often rather change our approach of explaining stuff than blame our students' learningstyle.

And on a side note: ENFPs are generally "rational", if by that you mean academically inclined and suckers for theoretical thinking.

Her continued over-emphasis on normality and the way things "should be" steered me away from Ni and toward Si. At first I thought it was just Fe responding to the home environment and church in which she was raised that was fueling her judgements, which made me insist INFJ, but as the thread wore on Si/Te/Fi began to make a lot more sense to me. It would surely explain her reliance upon Te, and the streak of Fi that is making some people say NFP.

Charmed Justice

Nickle Iron Silicone
MBTI Type
INFJ
Her continued over-emphasis on normality and the way things "should be" steered me away from Ni and toward Si. At first I thought it was just Fe responding to the home environment and church in which she was raised that was fueling her judgements, which made me insist INFJ, but as the thread wore on Si/Te/Fi began to make a lot more sense to me. It would surely explain her reliance upon Te, and the streak of Fi that is making some people say NFP.

I'd say iXTJ. I see little evidence for extroversion.