• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Type me!

Little Linguist

Striving for balance
MBTI Type
xNFP
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
ENTJ analysis

Extraverted Thinking

"Unequivocating" expresses the resoluteness of the ENTJ's dominant function. Hmm, wouldn't go that far. Clarity of convictions endows these Thinkers with a knack for debate, or wanting knack, a penchant for argument. YESSS! Yes yes yes yes! The light and heat generated by Thinking at the helm can be impressive; perhaps even overwhelming. Haha, people have told me this several times. Experience teaches many ENTJs that restraint may often be the better part of valor, lest one find oneself victorious but alone. Heh. You can say that again.

Introverted iNtuition
The auxiliary function explores the blueprints of archetypal patterns and equips Thinking with a fresh, dynamic sense of how things work. Yes, that could fit. Improvising on the fly is something many ENTJs do very well. YES! As Thinking's subordinate, insights are of value only insofar as they further the Right, True Cause celebre. [n.b.: ENTJs are capable of living on a higher plane, if you will, and learning to value individuals even above their principles. The above dynamic suggests less individuation.] Think so, yes.

Extraverted Sensing
Sensing reaches out to embrace that which physically touches it. ENTJs have an awareness of the real; of that which exists. Um, yes, sometimes...but not always. By stilling the engines of Thinking and iNtuition, this type may experience the Here and Now, and know things not dreamt of nor even postulated in iNtuition's philosophy. No, I wouldn't say so. Sensing's minor role, however, puts it at risk for distortion or extreme weakness beneath the hustle and bustle of the giants N and T. Well, that could be.

Introverted Feeling
Feeling is romantic, as the ethereal as the inner world from whence it doth emerge. Yes. When it be awake, feeling evokes great passion that knows not nuance of proportion nor context. Yes. It's overwhelming. Perhaps these lesser functions inspire glorious recreational quests in worlds that never were, or may only ever be in fantasy. :DWhen overdone or taken too seriously, Fi turned outward often becomes maudlin or melodramatic. LOL Yes!!!Feeling in this type appears most authentic when implied or expressed covertly in a firm handshake, accepting demeanor, or act of sacrifice thinly covered by excuses of lack of any personal interest in the relinquished item. True.

Hmm...also very telling. Grr, I hope I'm not chasing my own tail here.

Little Linguist

Striving for balance
MBTI Type
xNFP
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
Results: So far, it looks like I am a combination of an ENFP/xNTJ. Like a hybrid, so to speak. I must admit, I really related the most to INTJ, almost unequivocally... If I had to choose just from these type descriptions (obviously more research will have to be done) I'd say:

1. XNTJ
2. ENFX

The P really bothers me, though. What if I thought I was Ne all this time, but it was really Ni? It seems that I can relate to the Ni types better.

Te is so strong as to warrant at least an aux in my opinion. However, I am not certain.

If not, then ENFJ, where I thought Fe was really Te. That would be the only NF that would make sense for me.

Reactions?

VagrantFarce

A question:

What do you think Extraverted Thinking entails? Don't quote some type description, just describe it in your own words.

Not questioning your intelligence, I just want to hear it from your perspective. :)

Little Linguist

Striving for balance
MBTI Type
xNFP
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
A question:

What do you think Extraverted Thinking entails? Don't quote some type description, just describe it in your own words.

Not questioning your intelligence, I just want to hear it from your perspective. :)

In my opinion, extraverted thinking means the ability to organize and structure myself and the world around me in such a way that I am able to achieve my goals and aims.

One thing that bothers me about some types is that they have wonderful dreams and goals, but they do not mobilize themselves or use what they have to achieve them.

Really: What is the point of dreaming if you do not DO SOMETHING??? Get off your big, fat butt and DO something. UGHHH! Frustrating.

It's like some students. They believe that if you wave a magic wand and say "Abracadabra," they are going to speak better English. Then they bitch and moan about how English shouldn't be the world language, and if it were German, they'd have a much easier time of it. WELL GREAT BUT IT IS NOT!

Rather than sitting their butts down, taking out the material, and trying, or even asking me or someone for help, they dream their lives away about making lots of money and being wealthy, but they don't want to put in the elbow grease or the mental effort. That drives me batty.

Another thing some of my fellow dominant intuitive people do: They'll argue something passionately, but they don't care if it will actually be carried out. WHAT A DUMB ASS! Why would you spend hours passionately fighting for something and then not care if it actually gets carried out? It's like you set up for a battle and then retreat with your head kissing your butt. I mean, come on!

Or it's like having a dream about going to a foreign country. You dream and dream and dream your whole life. BUT NEVER DO IT?!?!?!?! WHY??????!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!??!? Are you effing stupid?!?!?! Figure it out! Ask questions! DO SOMETHING!!! But just don't sit on your butt all day long dreaming and then never have it come to fruition because you're too stupid or chicken-shit to do it right.

(I know this sounds crass; I'm usually more diplomatic in my speech, but I think it is important that you know what I am THINKING and not what I actually say. I usually try to be diplomatic and say, "Well, yes, you are trying." or "How can I help?" or "How can we solve this?" But what I'm really thinking is, "YOU STUPID BLOODY IDIOTIC M-F!!!!! MOVE YOUR ASS! I did it; you can do it! Why are you bitching all day and not doing anything?! I know what will solve your problems!!!!" *picks them head over heels and dumps them out of a four-floor building.* Not that I actually do that - I mean there ARE some times where your dreams SHOULDN'T come to fruition.)

UGHHH! I wanna shake these people or throw them out the window. I mean really. And sorry, but a lot of Ns around here are like whaaa whaaa whaaaaaaa all the time but don't get off their butts and do anything. UGH!

Extraverted thinking means taking these great, marvelous plans/designs/ideas/concepts and PUTTING THEM into PRACTICE or at least mobilizing the resources to do it.

To sum up, my extraverted thinking says: Get it? Got it? DO IT! Don't get it? MAKE IT! Don't got it? FIND IT! Don't do it? I KILL YOU! (Okay, not quite that dramatic, but you get it).

(Get the idea, got the resources, GO!)

And just as a side note, my feeling is way too weird and over-the-top and unnatural to be a feeler. I think. But whatever, we'll see.

Little Linguist

Striving for balance
MBTI Type
xNFP
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
Okay, now that I ranted that little parody, let me give you an example of when I use extraverted thinking:

1. About a year ago, I had a dream of starting my own language school. Of course, I had a funny feeling that I was being a little too idealistic about the whole idea in my brain, so I decided the important thing was to see if reality meshed with the ideas and concepts in my brain.

So I went to the Chamber of Commerce here and got some information on self-employment. After reading the material, I did a cost-benefit analysis in my head and realized that the costs outweighed the benefits, especially if I were going it alone. In addition, I really did not have the materials or resources, and mobilizing them would be too risky (I do not want to get into the specifics, as it would make the situation too complicated).

Here, I made a very rational decision after informing myself, speaking to various individuals, and looking at various examples. At the end, I decided it was not for me and dropped the idea.

2. Now let's have an example where Te led to a positive result. My whole life, I had wanted to go to Germany. It was this drive, this desire that would not go away. I had dreamt about it quite often, but again, I wanted to make sure reality matched fiction.

This time, I found a very old German book and taught myself German. Since it was written in old script, it was like a puzzle, and it was quite fascinating. At the age of 13 I found a pen-pal service quite by accident through a Catholic magazine my family got for me. For years, I spoke to Germans via real snail mail and practiced my written German. Then, when I was 20, I went and stayed with my then-boyfriend (now ex) for three months, and I fell in love with the country. It was then that I was sure I wanted to stay here.

Once I was sure that I wanted to stay in Germany, I planned my whole curriculum in such a way that I would make all the efforts in the world to get there. Because my family did not have the resources, I knew I would have to find alternatives. I actively sought them out through various different research sessions on the Internet about work/study programs, travel abroad programs, etc. Through my university, I basically narrowed my search to research and teaching abroad. I applied, put my best foot forward, and basically made an unequivocal, confident argument in favor of acceptance to the Fulbright scholarship. Afterwards, I got accepted, and I fulfilled my dream, got the resources, and landed in one of the best areas of Germany.

Now what a LOT of Ns would have done (that I see around here) is dream, and dream and dream but complain they do not have the resources or knowledge or ability to do something like that. They don't have the nerve to really get out there and SEARCH and DO...I think. I don't know, but it is completely unfathomable that if you want something THAT BADLY that you would not get off your butt and do something.

Do some of these people like being miserable or what? I just don't get it!

I plan, as the Germans say, "Mit langer Hand" (with a long hand, literally). Meaning once I have a goal, I am hell-bound determined to get it, and I won't rest until I do.

The only problem is if I do NOT have a goal. Then I sort of float, unhappy, without meaning or purpose, and that really gets me depressed.

Little Linguist

Striving for balance
MBTI Type
xNFP
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
Another bit of insight:

You know what irritates me the most about type descriptions? They seem so extreme. You read all of them and think, "Can that be me? No. Can that be me? Hell no. Can that be me? *alert buzzer* Wrong. Can..." and so on.

I know I piss some people off by always questioning my type. However, my inquiry is not intended for that.

I'm just trying to reconcile 25 years of IXTJ-ness with 4 years of XNFP-ness. Just...does...not...make...any...sense...

Combined with the fact that I really cannot relate to 95% of the ENFPs on here, and that many of their quirky weird ways just makes me go ---> :doh: in spite of their charm, and well...

I really don't think I'm a P. And this grates on my nerves.

Chloe

why dont you go in the old fashioned way ; by temperaments? do you feel more like NF, NT or SJ? :D

I mean, I cant understand how NF can't recognize himself.. we're so obvious, mostly. Aren't we? I mean, I can like NT stuff, but my spiritual self, self-search is much bigger than my NT side... and most NFs are like that. Either you're all about soul, or you aren't. I know many would disagree with this, but actually I didnt see much cases that go against it. Ex. I know one guy who mistyped himself as ENFP and is ESFP, I noticed he's ESFP because he doesnt have as big, or as priority, that spiritual side. He's more into play. ENFP will be into play, but I think most of ENFPs will put spiritual side of life on first place, then play or intellectual side... and usually all that combined together <3

and NFs and NTs can have completely same interests in life and do the same thing, but they'll do it, mostly, with different motives.

Chloe

Not such a flighty, weird, nutty, drug-using, alcohol-consuming, lari-fari, we-all-have-something-to-offer, let's-have-a-crazy-sexual-avatar, OMG-like-my-values, let's-all-hug-each-other, we-are-all-the-same, having-a-billion-friends-and-acquaintances, crazy, bizarre, feeling, weird, annoying, wacked-out ENFP. (I probably just alienated myself from 99% of ENFPs out there, and get a bunch of hate mail saying I'm stereotyping against ENFPs, but whatever...they strike me as a bunch of hippies just coasting through life. REALLY.) <--- Fe-fail, sorry folks. Well, no I'm not. It's true; it is my impression of a LOT of them. Just have to do a head-smack when I think I'm one of these guys. :doh:

LOL. seriously, who said you're NF ? :lol: no way

Just a normal, structured, focused, career-oriented, ambitious, quiet, non-party going, just-having-a-few-friends-once-in-a-while, fair, strict, non-rebellious, non-drinking-smoking-drug-using, loyal, reliable, punctual, dependable, dealing-by-the-rules-unless-the-rules-don't-make-sense, analytical, thinking, DECENT ENFP??? That's my type, whatever that is.

That's ESTJ.

you do seem to fit in SJ temperament.. don't you?
and i agree with positive sides of being an S, I'd like to find out I'm S, too. :D

Amargith

Hotel California
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
4dw
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
Sorry but you don't 'vibe' structured and organized. You might be it, but your head isn't, I think. I have an ENFP friend just like you. She's crazy chaotic like me in her head, but she was raised by two SJs who loved her dearly and she was able to absorb some of their sense of order. So, now, she, like an SJ, needs her house decluttered and organized in order to relax. She likes to keep on top of things, is pretty ambitious, goal-oriented, and feels like a mess whenever she's not in control. She's still ENFP though. I noticed that the second I met her (and I knew about MBTI). She took the test, and yup. Confirmed. The way she talks and experiences things and relates to what is important to her...she's a Fi-user alright. And she Ne's like mad. She just was taught to be an SJ in daily life (which sometimes seriously stresses her out, but I have to admit she's got a better grasp on life than Ido and is more level-headed and practical in most cases).

Little Linguist

Striving for balance
MBTI Type
xNFP
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
:rofl1:

OK, now do the same for Ne and Ni! :D

You're kidding, right? LOL Nooo...okay, *sigh* here goes:

1. Introverted Intuition (Caveat: I might confuse the two, so bear with me here).

Introverted intuition is the ability to bring about change inside or outside through an inner focus on how things could be.

For example, I keep telling people, "If you see yourself as a winner, you will be a winner; if you see yourself as a loser, you will be a loser." Your inner vision on who you are manifests in the outer world. Often it is important to 'change the tape' concerning the positive or negative messages we repeat to ourselves.

I believe in a power beyond ourselves or composed of our totality as people (collective consciousness). I guess it's not Ni in itself, but I feel this manifesting all the time around me.

I feel things. Weird things. Like I went to a restaurant my husband and I frequent, and I felt cold, like death. I knew nothing before. My husband felt the same. Later, it turned out that the proprietress was undergoing extreme depression, but we only found out about that much later. Or I'll think of a person after not hearing from them in five years, and something will be up.

When my husband's father's gravestone came back (they only have graves for 30 years in Germany) there were a lot of...weird....feelings I had associated with that. I don't want to get into it right now.

I get perceptions on how things will turn out. Signs are there, you just need to be open for them. If I ask a question to the great unknown, usually the answer arrives in the form of a sign if I'm just open to interpret it (I know that sounds schizoid, but I really don't mean it that way).

For example, I was sitting in the movie theater, wondering if I should cancel one of my five jobs (ugh!) and right when the ad was finishing, it said, "KNOW YOUR LIMITS!" I sat there, awestruck. Of course, it was for alcohol (the ad) but it was like an ANSWER, you know??? This happens to me ALL THE TIME.

I think you also have to use this concept when you take something really complex and break it down so that others can understand it, but I'm not sure. That might be Te.

I'm a big fan of meditation and even these little cards (DON'T LAUGH DAMN IT) that I use in order to sort of sort out how I feel. It helps. But I don't use them as much anymore. (Not tarot cards or something like that, but just like cards with emotions, and you pick one out, and you have to dwell on whatever meaning that might have for you. It helps me sort out my feelings.)

As a child, I did this more. Especially when I was more religious. I listened to audio tapes on contemplation and going inside the mind. It helped that my aunt was studying psychology. I went to a couple of her graduate classes when I was 10. Anyway, I really believe in the power of transforming yourself if you only want it badly enough and concentrate and focus properly.

It's easy for me to see the likely outcome of events. Like Peguy, it was clear to me that when we invaded Iraq, for example, that it would be like our generation's Vietnam. That was when I felt alienated by the Republican party and left. Just this year, a fellow colleague was awestruck when I said, "You can forget the health care reform. It will have a lot of trouble passing the Congress, even with the majority democrats in both houses, and it will get a lot of contempt from the American people. Either it won't pass, or it will pass in such a weakened state that it either won't help, or it will do more harm than good." I was the only one who thought so. There was no evidence. I just had a feeling. And I was right. The guy came back to me and said, "How did you know?" "I just knew." "You should be a political analyst." HA! Like they would listen, but oh well...

Little Linguist

Striving for balance
MBTI Type
xNFP
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
2. Extraverted Intuition:

Extraverted intuition means taking outside impulses and running with it, like a tsunami in your brain, causing death and destruction and chaos...uh, no I'm kidding. It really takes these impulses and goes in an entirely different direction(s).

For me, extraverted intuition serves a purpose. If I am trying to find solutions, Ne helps me to discover all the likely possibilities. But I do not leave it at that. I use other methods to sort through all the possibilities, discard the silly ones, and leave the good, positive ones that make sense. That helps make the decision process easier.

Like finding out your type. UGH!

Extraverted intuition sees things as they could be, not as they are. Sure, I do this, but it is controlled. Not running amok like with other ENFPs that just fart around for the hell of it, and then say, "Ah, who needs fart gas?" That pisses me off.

Typical example: I talk to some guy on here who has a brilliant idea. He gets excited; I get excited. Then the dope can't even remember the next day what he said, and even if he did, he wouldn't be able to structure and implement it. Probably too high or drunk to notice or too much of an S-tard. Great.

^^^ That was an ENTP. Sweet, now let's turn to the dopey ENFP:

Typical example: Ranting and raving passionately about some dumb-ass cause. Getting all excited and ramming everyone up and down, bitching at everyone who doesn't agree, saying, "Talk to the hand," to people who do not mimic values, and then gets distracted and talks about something else. HUH???? Or says something like, "I don't care if anything ever comes about my crazy, maniacal ranting behavior - I just want to rant because ranting is cool, and I like to see the effect of my irrational Tsunami brain on everyone else." What a dumb ass!

Somehow these guys manage to get everyone convinced, all excited, and then they say, "Okay, guys, now you run the show" while they drink a beer and burp the alphabet. A joke here and there to keep the show running, and that's that.

Tell me I'm not one of these guys.

Then you've got the ladies who say, "YAYYYYYYY I'M BISEXUAL LOOK AT ME I HAVE NO PREFERENCES!!!!!!" or "Look, no shirt!" or "Kissing girls and liking it!" or signs that say "Cocks for sale!" Am I supposed to be impressed by that??? I mean, really? It's like someone draws the never-to-cross line, and you have all these ENXP men and ladies running up and begging, "Can I cross it first??? Can I cross it first? NO ME DAMN IT I WAS HERE FIRST BACK OFF ASSHOLE! YOU'RE NOT LOGICAL!!! WELL YOU HAVE NO MORALS!" ugh. Damn it.

So many possibilities, and most of them are STUPID. Stupid possibilities. Dumb ass possibilites. No one cares about your cokescapades, okay? No one cares if you drank 5 liters of beer last night and boogied to rave music. Keep your damn weed-growing activities to yourself, and I swear if another fool starts another rant on Vent about sex, drugs, or rock 'n' roll, I'm going to puke in a handbasket.

And then they start in on their chaotic, crazy, obnoxious lives, and I just think, "Wait a minute? I'm supposed to be that??? You're kidding, right? Tell me you are!!!!"

Give me an ESTJ any day. At least THEY will be on time, reliable, and not running off to the nearest hottest chick. Possibilities my ass. Anyway.

Even IF they are technically the most likely to be gifted, I'm sure there are other gifted types without the obnoxious behavior.

Okay, I'm being obnoxious now, but you get the point.

Running away from an idea just when it's about to be implemented? HELL NO.

Little Linguist

Striving for balance
MBTI Type
xNFP
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
Okay, now that that little rant-scapade is over, let's turn to practical ways I use Ne:

Ne works as the brainstorming factor in the following sequence: Brainstorm, sift, process, act.

1. Let's say I have a 'difficult' student, and I want to know the best way to help him or her. First, I brainstorm all the possibilities, where I let every idea, no matter how crazy (wait, that's going too far, I usually discard ideas that are too crazy right off the bat), pass through my brain. Then I ask myself, "Does this make sense or not." Then, I will filter it through past experience, ideas, logic, feeling, or whatever is necessary to see if this idea makes sense. I make connections to other things, and see if they fit, like a puzzle.

If the idea does not make logical sense or sense in any other fashion, I ditch it and look at the next idea. Through process of elimination, I come to the right answer.

Then, I look at how to deal with this situation. How shall we act? I usually confront the student, and show him/her how I see things, ask for input/reactions, and then act from there.

Next, I draw up a plan of how to proceed, allowing for creativity, human error, and flexibility as needed.

Afterwards, I observe the results. If they are not what I expected, I had obviously come up with the wrong conclusion or course of action. Out comes Ne again: What could have gone wrong? Process it through various tools. Come to a conclusion. Present. Reactions? Ideas? Sift? Result. Action. Brainstorm action. Sift. Process. Action.

See? That's how my brain works.

2. Let's say my husband and I want to go on vacation. We sit together. Brainstorm. Sift. Process. Act.

a. Possibilities: Here in Germany? Other countries? Visit my family?
b. Cost-benefit analysis: financial methods, enjoyment factor, effort, time, activities that can be done, relaxing factor, etc.
c. Plan: How to implement the best plan.
d. Do it: Go.

VagrantFarce

does Si enter into things at all? i.e. instinctively comparing new things to "before" to notice tiny differences. Is it something you consciously avoid doing, or does it just not come up naturally?

Laurie

Was E.laur
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
7w6
Sorry but you don't 'vibe' structured and organized. You might be it, but your head isn't, I think. I have an ENFP friend just like you. She's crazy chaotic like me in her head, but she was raised by two SJs who loved her dearly and she was able to absorb some of their sense of order. So, now, she, like an SJ, needs her house decluttered and organized in order to relax. She likes to keep on top of things, is pretty ambitious, goal-oriented, and feels like a mess whenever she's not in control.

I get the same head feeling from her too, Amar. This is similar to my SP sister. I think she is ESFP but might test ESFJ if she were to take the test now as a 30 year old. She was calling herself "anal" yesterday to me about how she likes things exactly in the right places. She learned to deal with her SP in that way to make it through life and to be able to accomplish what matters to her in life, like entertaining at her house, etc. If I hadn't known her as a child & young adult I might not type her SP. (note: I don't think you are SP, LL, but sometimes we learn to work around P to get what we want.)

What did you type yourself as when you first heard about MBTI?

Little Linguist

Striving for balance
MBTI Type
xNFP
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
does Si enter into things at all? i.e. instinctively comparing new things to "before" to notice tiny differences. Is it something you consciously avoid doing, or does it just not come up naturally?

It's very hard for me to do, takes a lot of energy, so I invest my energy in more efficient ways.

I get the same head feeling from her too, Amar. This is similar to my SP sister. I think she is ESFP but might test ESFJ if she were to take the test now as a 30 year old. She was calling herself "anal" yesterday to me about how she likes things exactly in the right places. She learned to deal with her SP in that way to make it through life and to be able to accomplish what matters to her in life, like entertaining at her house, etc. If I hadn't known her as a child & young adult I might not type her SP. (note: I don't think you are SP, LL, but sometimes we learn to work around P to get what we want.)

What did you type yourself as when you first heard about MBTI?

The very first time I took the test was during a psychology class at school, where we took a real MBTI. It was before I had ever heard about the theory. I tested IXTJ. That was when I was 18.

Then again, I behaved very differently back then.

Listen, you may all be right about the ENFP thing, I don't know. I just want to know how someone who has tested IXTJ for years can shift to ENXP so dramatically.