• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Type me!

Little Linguist

Striving for balance
MBTI Type
xNFP
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
We haven't been making significant progress because I do not know if any of the qualities you are telling me that you have are more resultant of natural dispositions or interaction with your environment.

Well how do I prove that something is a natural disposition if examples do not do it?

I believe, though I think it is hard to prove that:

- Abstract thinking = natural
- Thinking = natural
- Feeling = acquired
- Sensing = acquired

The other alternative is:

- Abstract = natural
- Feeling = natural
- Thinking = acquired
- Sensing = acquired

However, I think if feeling were natural, I would not have struggled so much to understand what I felt and others felt. I really do not know how to prove it to you. Perhaps you could inform me how to best go about that.

The_Liquid_Laser

Glowy Goopy Goodness
MBTI Type
ENTP
I haven't read this whole thread but just reading what was posted in the OP you sound more like an NT than an NF. Most likely ENTJ. The way you put things you seem more achievement oriented than people oriented.

Little Linguist

Striving for balance
MBTI Type
xNFP
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
I haven't read this whole thread but just reading what was posted in the OP you sound more like an NT than an NF. Most likely ENTJ. The way you put things you seem more achievement oriented than people oriented.

Liquid Laser, what brought you to that conclusion? (Not disagreeing or agreeing, just curious what led you to that assessment).

Little Linguist

Striving for balance
MBTI Type
xNFP
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
Yes, you are right. I do place more value on personal achievement than people, although I have been much better at not being so extreme about that. I used to be so extreme that personal achievement came at the expense of my human relationships, and I have to constantly remind myself not to do that.

As a kid, homework or personal projects always came first before fun. Often, I would work myself to the point that I became like a hermit. Alternatively, I would work myself sick (literally), and I have just stopped myself after doing it again recently.

In addition, at work, I used to not care at all if my colleagues were doing something together. I went to work, did my job, put my all in, and that was it. I couldn't have been bothered hanging around with these people after work unless there was a purpose or they were doing something I enjoyed. Whenever they posted a get-together, I groaned and thought, "Oh man, does this HAVE TO BE?" I know some other people love the interaction with colleagues more than the actual work. Don't get me wrong, I really liked my colleagues, but at WORK. Not in my free time.

Of course, I enjoy working with my students, and there I do care, but more about their personal development and the exchange of ideas and information as well as the fact that they reach a certain goal (e.g. pass an exam, get a better job, deal better with clients, etc.).

Another example, sometimes I am so driven that I will neglect my relationship, not in an awful way, but I will work SO MUCH that I hardly have time for myself or my husband anymore. After a while, my husband tells me that in the long run our relationship will suffer, and that wakes me up. However, I have to keep ever-vigilant about that.

I enjoy dealing with people, but only if I see a tangible result from my efforts; otherwise, it drives me crazy, which is one reason this new job is burning me out a bit. It's very hard to see improvements; I have to keep reminding myself to 'lower my expectations' and appreciate the little steps, and keep encouraging despite resistance, and it's not easy sometimes.

The_Liquid_Laser

Glowy Goopy Goodness
MBTI Type
ENTP
Liquid Laser, what brought you to that conclusion? (Not disagreeing or agreeing, just curious what led you to that assessment).

In the OP you don't hardly sound NF at all. I say ENTJ, because you sound a lot like me growing up only more structured and judgemental. ;) My second guess would be INTJ and then ENTP after that. Here let me give my specific impressions of the OP:

Maybe typing myself as a child will help clarify matters. I've bolded the important stuff for people who cannot pay attention that long.

1. School: Up to the age of 8, I did not pay much attention. Of course, I followed the rules as long as they made sense, and I did not want to catch hell at home. I kind of chit-chatted with one or two friends.
This sounds like a N to me.

After the age of 8, I saw school as a huge mental competition with others: Social interaction did not interest me. I wanted to see who was the most capable, and I put my best effort into getting the highest grades possible, which generally came naturally to me with the exception of math, which was always my nemesis. (I HATE MATH!)

With regard to learning, I was very structured. I did my homework every night (with little intermissions to act crazy and rejuvenate) and basically handed in my homework assignments on time.

This whole part sounds NJ and especially NTJ. My INFJ wife was really competitive growing up, but so much of what she did had to do with getting the teacher's approval. The way you describe things sounds more like an NTJ.
However, I was often absent-minded and forgot my homework at home. (GAHHH!) In addition, I would forget to bring in signed report cards, permission slips, reports, etc. I did not want to upset anyone. I just forgot it.
more N

Whenever we had tests, I was annoying and always asked, "What did you get? What did you get?" Of course, I pretended but the real reason was that I wanted to know if I had the best mark, and if I did not, I would berate myself and force myself to study harder next time. The one exception: MATH. Although I was unhappy that I hovered around the B/C range, I knew there was no point in investing more time. If I did not get the highest grade in LANGUAGES, I would berate myself til the cows came home.
This is NTJ, but the obsession over knowing you have to be the best sounds especially ENTJ to me. Extraverts are more externally oriented, so an ENTJ would want to get the best grade while an INTJ would simply want a perfect grade.

2. People/expression: Until the age of 8, I had 2-4 friends I always hung out with. After that, I became a hermit until the age of 20 or so. Weird.
I usually had about 2-4 close friends, although I always had a lot of aquantences/distant friends. The hermit thing sounds a bit unusual for any type. Even most INT's tend to have a couple of friends.

Anyway, I was extremely nervous and shy around others. In class, I hardly spoke above a whisper in high school. Often my teachers got annoyed and asked me to speak louder. It was kind of weird, but I was so afraid of making a mistake that I only wanted the teacher and I to hear it if I did. Usually I was right, though, which was the ironic thing.

This is a lot like me as a teen although I'm probably better described as the singing frog. Usually quiet and laid back, but occasionally I become excessively energetic, noisy, talkative, etc....

The one exception: Debates. During debates about things I enjoyed, I became loud and passionate, which would shock the HELL out of my teachers and classmates. It was as if they thought, "Holy crap, she does have a voice." Some were so shocked that they came and told me so afterwards, although these same people usually pretended that I did not exist. I would research a great deal, prepare myself with copious notes, went over them in my head, and destroyed the opposition. I loved taking the side that had the least support because it held the greatest challenge, and allowed me to sort of take control. Great example: Debate Gore v. Perot 1993 (or 1994, something like that) about NAFTA. 95% of the class was in favor of Gore. I was not - only I and one other student. So we were a powerhouse, as the other person was also very bright. We shook the other side to its foundations and in the space of 20 minutes convinced 2 others that we were right!!!

Other exception: Public speaking/acting. When I was prepared and spoke publicly, I did so with a great deal of passion and enthusiasm. It also shocked people, as this was not my normal tendency. Lectoring, drama, etc. were very interesting for me as an outlet for expression.

This all sounds typical for young ENT's. Shy in many circumstances, but energetic or aggressive when in their element.

Family: Get-togethers. Ewww. A bunch of adults talking about lots of stuff, and I'm the only child. So they look at you as a child. I hate that. So I had to adapt into an adult in my expression so that people would take me seriously. It shocked my peers that I had such a command of language and vocabulary.
Desire to display competence is an NT trait.

While interacting with some people in a teenage group at the age of 12, I confided that I felt like an 'alien', and that I could not relate to anyone, and I would really like people to explain WHY that is. Some older teenagers said, "Well, you're weird. You're, like, really smart, and you use vocabulary we do not understand. And you're 12. It's just....weird....You don't do anything normal kids and teenagers like, so there's nothing in common to talk to you about. You don't like dating. You don't like clothes. You don't like cars. You don't watch TV, listen to real music, or watch movies. You just read weird books, knit, and talk about weird stuff. It's like you're 80 or something - like you come from another time. And then, whenever you realize that, you get haughty and arrogant, and you're just not approachable." I never forgot that. It made me feel strange and ashamed.

I think quite a few N's have an experience similar to this. If you are an intelligent N, then it can seem that you don't really fit in anywhere.

3. Dating: I did not have anything to do with guys until I was 20 years old. I had no interest, and I did not want to be 'distracted from more important things.' I was cold, off-putting, and flat-out rejected guys who asked me out, even if I was attracted to them. I never admitted it if I was attracted to someone because that would be admitting weakness. Many people thought I was asexual during my pre-teen and teenage years, although I had a bunch of passion boiling inside, I kept it under tight control. My first kiss was at 19 or 20, so you can imagine I did not do anything else in that direction either.

I never dated when I was younger and my first kiss was about the same age. It was mostly because I was shy and awkward though. I was plenty horny though. ;) Overall I don't think this is uncommon for NT's.

4. Values: Since I grew up in a lower-middle class, strict Irish Roman Catholic family comprising of my grandparents (EXFJ and XNTP) and my aunt (INFP) and no siblings, I was raised with STRICT RELIGIOUS values. I was pretty much the only one of my generation in the family. My grandmother drilled me on how to react to people who screwed around with my values, to which I rolled my eyes at the time. My grandfather usually came up with crude phrases like, "Don't let a man use you as his garbage can," to which I would respond, "Ewwww!" If I swore, I was dead. So I did not swear AT ALL until I was around 20 or so. In fact, one dude asked me, "Would you swear if I gave you a dollar," to which I looked haughty, held my head up high, and said, "What do you hold me for, anyway??? There are more important things than money," to which he responded, "Eh, what about 10?" I got up indignantly and went away. I hated people who went to a CATHOLIC school and did not even know how church went "Dumb asses." or did not know the hymns "Idiots!"

I can't say I relate to this, because I hated church and was glad when I got to stop going. Also I didn't particularly respect or disrespect rules. I followed the ones that made sense and mostly ignored the others.

Another thing I couldn't stand was an idiot. People who did not remember what we did from one class to another confounded me. People who could not make connections between classes and subjects confounded me as well.
Not me, but sounds a lot like plenty of ENTJ's out there.

On the other hand, I had a great deal of understanding for people who wanted to get it but couldn't. I often chocked that up to bad teaching and helped anyone who genuinely wanted to learn. But first I always asked, "Do you WANT to do this? We will have to invest a lot of time and effort, so I am happy to work with you if you WANT this. If not, there is no point." (Not always so direct, but you get the point).
As a former teacher I can relate to this.

I couldn't stand sexually promiscuous people - they disgusted me. These flamboyant types who always partied and went to clubs and had sex all the time with guys and talked about their experiences. BLEH. The one exception: If people needed to talk to someone, I was more understanding. That was because I figured they are going through a rough time and need someone. But people who just bragged about such things were nil in my book.

Materialistic types also pissed me off. These long nails for $100 dollars. Expensive, fast cars. Sports. Sex. Drugs. Rock 'n' roll. What was the point?

These sorts of things pisses me off more now than when I was younger, lol. Still sounds about right for an NTJ though.

5. Interests: Huge interest number 1: Reading. I loved reading. Ramona was a big favorite as a little girl. Before I went to bed as a really young girl, I wanted a story read to me. If someone skipped a page or made a mistake, I promptly corrected him/her. I learned reading quickly, although I was very bad at inference and spitting back what I read on command when I did not choose the reading myself. I could, but I did not always focus well enough. That took a lot of effort on my part unless I CHOSE what I wanted to read. Then I retained everything, but I had to have a vested interest, or screw it.

Once I turned 12-13, my reading interests matured into language books, where I started avidly teaching myself different languages (I realized later that I got this from my maternal grandfather who did the same thing despite his 8th grade education), religious books (books by St. Augustine, Brother Lawrence, St. Theresa of Avila, St. Theresa aka 'The Little Flower of Jesus', etc. were always lying around), as well as more philosophical/religious books on contemplation, sacrifice, etc. I remember being around 10 or 12 and reading a 500 page book on St. John (can't remember the name) and I always begged my family "Just one more page. Just one more minute." LOL

Later on 12-19, I gave up religious reading and focused more on my core interests, history, language, and politics. (This was also in my early teenage years).

This section sounds like a fairly typical description of an NT growing up.

I was not a big fan of movies, as I found it very hard to focus on plot and things when I was watching movies. I could not follow the plot. It was weird. Like I needed a plot summary every once in a while to follow. So I did not like it as much. Some exceptions: Star Trek series, Waltons and Zorro, which I watched with my grandfather. My grandmother would spy on us every now and again to make sure the content was okay (GAHHH!) Besides my family would always say, "Would you rather we bought you 3 books or we went to see one movie?" No contest.

WWII was always a beloved subject, which my poor EXFJ grandmother could not understand. "Why do you always read war books? Can't you read something a little bit more uplifting? "Eh, I like them."

Knitting, crocheting, embroidery, etc. was always a cool pasttime. I made a blanket for my cat, which she LOVED hahaha. I made 19th century costumes for dolls.

I have no comment on this section. It could mean anything.

LOVED public speaking and drama - it was an outlet for a lot of built up energy, passion, and feeling that I did not allow myself to express. A lot of times my throat would hurt afterwards because I was not USED to speaking like that (that much, that loud, etc.) But my passion was convincing. I spoke to an audience to earn money for our school, and they had the highest return that year. I loved lectoring at church. I started when I was 12 or so... at the kid's mass. Later I did it at the adult's mass. Loved it. Couldn't stand people who did not know how to do it RIGHT. DAMN IT DO IT RIGHT, I always thought. *alert buzzer* Wrong intonation *alert buzzer* Speaking too fast and not clearly *alert buzzer* What the hell are you trying to say? lol

I won a lot of public speaking and poetry contests.

Sports was always a no-go for me. I was totally uncoordinated, afraid of the ball (yeah, I was one of those annoying girls who would put her hand up in front of her face when the ball came too close). It did not help that I had zero depth-perception or spatial skills AND could not react well to sudden things, like flying balls. I always thought, "Can't you all play and let me grab my book and sit on the rock over there. Really! I don't mind." All this exercise bull....gah! I couldn't do it anyway. Why show my ineptitude for all to see...Have fun, have a blast, and let me have fun in my own way. Dumb asses.
This whole section is a lot like me. Again I think it fits an ENT fairly well.

Cross-country skiing was one exception. I could do it alone; it did not require a lot of coordination as compared with other sports, and if I fell, no one cared; and it was slow enough to allow me to get the hang of it, enjoy nature, and just let me be.

Irish dancing was another exception. You only had to coordinate your legs. I could handle that. And it was fun, not SPORTS or EXERCISE. And I didn't have to associate with people that much. I could concentrate on my thing. That was good. I liked it before it was popular - and most people thought it was 'strange.' Cool kids danced jazz, tap, and ballet - not IRISH DANCING.

I'm sure there's more, but you get the picture. Feel free to ask if anything is unclear or if you need (more???) information.

So to sum up, based on this OP you sound like an ENTJ to me. Now I'm also giving the disclaimer that we are just two people conversing over the internet and there plenty of things I don't know about you. But going by the info I have on you I'd say you are an ENTJ, and if that doesn't fit then consider INTJ or maybe ENTP. I know that I've seen you self type as either ENFP or ENFJ on these forums, but this description paints you more as an ENTJ.

Charmed Justice

Nickle Iron Silicone
MBTI Type
INFJ
Thank you for responding, EnFpFer. Please allow me to share some (relatively) personal details so that you can get an insight into my person. I appreciate the fact that you have shared this, as it was very insightful, and I want to honor that.

Very very very pessimistic as a child. Not quite so pessimistic now. Extreme example: Senior year when someone asked me what I would do if I failed an exam, I replied sardonically, "Probably hang myself by my shoelaces." Of course, I wouldn't have done THAT, but I would have been very angry with myself, chastised myself for weeks, and would have been ashamed to go home. But that shut them up really quickly, "Weird...." Worked, didn't it?
I hear you. Again, sounds a lot like my mother(EXTJ).:D She was incredibly dutiful as a child and still is as an adult. She was motivated by making her parents proud, and is incredibly achievement oriented. Do you generally appreciate the role of authority figures?

Now that's one thing that I have ALWAYS hated. In fact, as a child I was often given the choice of doing homework or chores, and I always picked homework because it was more enjoyable for me.
Haha. Really?

Yes. I do not know how in-depth you want me to answer this, but I have to give you some background so that you understand.

My mother was very ill, and my father had issues as a result of that and other things, so when I was 9 years old, my paternal grandparents suggested and volunteered to take me in, adopt me for real, and give me a good and loving home.

Because of that, I felt like I wanted to 'prove' to them that they hadn't made a mistake. They were retired, and they could have done so many other things, but they took in a 9-year-old girl. I wanted them to be proud of me, and I wanted to be proud of myself and make the most of the opportunity and the gifts I have/had.

If you asked me whether or not the impetus came more from outside or inside, I'd say both. There were times when I was weak, and my family always kind of nudged me in the 'right' direction. This was important.

Since I had a 'rough' childhood (no rougher than your average childhood I guess nowadays) I really was thankful for the security and latched onto it like an anchor. They always told me, "We saw you hurt so many times, and we don't want you to be hurt ever again." I respected that, and so I did not want to hurt THEM either. I wanted them to know they had a really good, intelligent, respectable, industrious person who was on their level and not some stupid, weak, dumb ass who went and partied every week, got high on dope, and brought home average grades and couldn't even hold herself in a conversation.

Does that make sense? Of course, I would never abase myself in that way either, but my desire to belong and be accepted by people worthy of respect (and at that time, I deemed my grandparents as the only ones - my classmates, no WAY). So I 'adopted' their values as my own.
It makes total sense to me how you would feel that way. You were seeking security, like all children do. When you found it, you were willing to do most anything to hold on to it.

I was dying to have siblings for years. In fact, I begged my mother to have more children even though I knew it would not be good for any of us, which is pretty stupid. I don't know why I did that.
I did too!! Well, being an only child was pretty rare until somewhat recently, in the West, at least. I wanted siblings because I wanted to be like "everyone else". Being an only child, amongst other things, made me feel different

I can count on one hand the number of times I had been invited to someone's house (That's sad) or invited someone over (even worse). Literally. Once when I was 6, I was invited to a birthday party (probably out of pity, I guess) and I got sick afterward. Once when I was 8, and I also got sick afterwards. Once when I was 10 or 12. Once when I was 16. In fact, out of all the years I have been alive, I don't think I have ever hosted a sleepover or a party ever except once. It was when I was 10, I believe. Never again.

I'm kind of ashamed to admit that, but what the hell?
But it's not too late to start, right?!

EXACTLY. I quote, verbatim, what I said to a student who is miserably failing my class due to a bunch of difficult external circumstances at the moment,

"I want to help you because I know you could do this if you put the effort into it. I believe that you can do this. However, you need to promise me and yourself something: If I take the extra time and help you, I want you to take it seriously. You will have to work very hard, and I want you to do so. But if you do, I'm sure you'll make it."

What should I do? Waste my time on some fool who doesn't care and doesn't want to get better? NO! My time is too precious to be wasted on people who don't take things seriously. However, I am devoted and very reliable and put all my mind, heart, and soul into helping people who want and need to be helped. But not every asshole.
Reading that just tickled me to no end. Seriously, mom? That's pretty much the exact thing that she used to tell her own students. You're pretty explicit about what you expect, no? Pretty firm once you've made yourself clear?

I've wavered 3-4 times throughout my life somewhere between moderate and reactionary conservative/conservative nationalist. Never left-wing. That never appealed to me - always seemed like a bunch of crazy, hippie, idealistic to a FAULT (nothing wrong with idealism, but gimme a break!), nudists on a beach - okay I'm stereotyping here to make a point, but you get it.
LOL, I see what you're saying, yes.

However, and I want to make this very clear, I'M NOT ONE OF THOSE CRAZY NEO-CONS...pseudo-intellectual wannabe-a-conservative-but-are-just-a-bunch-of-weird-ass-industrialist-idiots. I want values, not just letting economy run wild. I can't stand Bush for that reason - not because he's conservative but because he IS NOT but PRETENDS to be. Running into wars all over the world and wasting billions of hard-earned dollars? Is that conservative? NO! Signing a bunch of crazy things to hurt American jobs? Is that conservative? NO! Sending our young men to die for a cause that was lost from the very beginning due to a LIE!? Is that conservative? NO!
True, true.:yes:

Regarding religion, I was a staunch Irish Roman Catholic for 18 years. Then I switched and just was...well, nothing. Then I became a Muslim for a few weeks, decided it made no sense, and cut that out. Then I got involved with Siddha Yoga, which was really helpful but there's not community near me and I don't care anyway. Now I just meditate alone and I'm more into spirituality until something more meaningful (if ever) comes along.
Wow, what an interesting journey.

I'm only really comfortable being with people I truly relate to, where I can have good, stimulating conversation or playful fun (a good mixture is awesome :wubbie:). Fun means innocent fun, nothing like drinking or clubbing or weird stuff like that. Even out from under the auspices of my family, I cannot stand just drinking, clubbing or dancing. Not my thing.

It's not that I hate it, or that I think it's EVOOOOOO or something, I just do not like it, and I do not see the point. You can't talk or enjoy because the music is too loud. It's a waste of money. I'm a terrible dancer, completely uncoordinated, and just make an ass out of myself. Drinking is the biggest waste of time and is harmful for the body. Generally vacuous people who have nothing to offer me. So why bother?
I've never been a clubber either or much of a drinker, but I love the noise factor of a party, and I love being around so many people who seem to be happy and enjoying life. I welcome happy chaos; although, I prefer close intimacy with that chaos. I am bugged by people who are, what I would consider to be, irresponsible with their bodies. Then again, people's weaknesses typically give me interest in them.

In this regard, you sound like another EXTJ I know.:)

Sure, I enjoy sharing, especially when people take me seriously, because most people don't. I'm so different that they do not think I am 'for real', whatever that means. Anyway, I AM 'for real,' and I sense that you and most others on this thread respect that, so I want to give as much info as possible to make a typing accurate. It's worth my time and effort, you see. :D
Absolutely.

Teaching. I get great joy out of the transformation I see from uncomfortable, awkward, insecure sort-of English speakers to confident, able English speakers. I know this will provide them with something they can use, and I enjoy seeing the development.

However, I get very frustrated if I put everything I have into my teaching and nothing comes out of it. Or if people don't listen or take me seriously (which rarely happens). Then I get very irritated and just want to leave (but I do not, obviously).

Every once in a while, you have a rare nugget, where you can have great conversations with people who want to learn. There's one class I have now with people taking their A-levels, and they want to talk about social and political issues, are able and willing to engage in different projects and activities, and the class flows smoothly and wonderfully. In the first lesson, a young lady came and asked me for extra help of her own accord (long story). I was compelled to help her because of her drive and interest, and she's actually quite bright.

Once I had a student who founded his own science business and he was quiet, bright, capable, and very intelligent and knowledgeable about a wide variety of topics. One never knew what would come next. Quickly, we decided to put the book aside, and discussed everything from philosophy to economics, from history to society, from music to literature, from politics to business. I LOVED those classes. He gave me his wisdom and knowledge (he was in his mid-60s) and I gave him my knowledge of English. We learned from each other, and I loved it. He also appreciated and respected me, and I him. Brilliant.

Very much so. I have really appreciated your input (and others' as well!) It has been most helpful, and I would appreciate any additional insight you or others may have.

My family mentioned the fact that I was always a 'good girl' and a 'good woman' with 'good values' who led a 'good life.' Eh, whatever that means. I tried my best. I was not really a problem child until I started struggling with some of my 'issues' or whatever. But I had definitely never taken drugs or smoked; I did not start drinking until I was 21. I did not have anything to do with guys (not even a kiss) until I was 20. First movie at 19. You get the picture. I mean how easy do you get?
IXXJ or EXXJ, that's my incomplete, and final, answer.;) You seem very dutiful, you easily make judgment calls about people, were studios, competitive for the thrill of competition(and also to make your grandparents proud), have a clearly defined understanding of "success", are put off by people/ideas that seem far outside the norm, have little pity for the underdog or those you see to be not truly desiring or deserving of help, work well within a traditional institution, etc....None of those things seem ENFPish to me, and those are the very things that seem to define much of who you are.

SolitaryWalker

Tenured roisterer
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
so/sx
LL,

The Liquid Laser thinks you're an NTJ because you seemed studious, thoughtful and achievement oriented as a child. I don't see this as evidence that you're an NT. Liquid Laser's method was that of a typical MBTI typologist: if we see that a person is competence oriented and studious, he is an NT. In fact, the definition of an NT or any type for Liquid Laser consists in having a certain set of personality qualities.

This won't cut it because we frequently display contradictory personality qualities or have qualities that identify with many profile descriptions. We must step away from an action-based and personality based typology and onto the study of the subject that deals with solid tendencies of thought first and foremost.

I would say that you are definitely intuitive because since your childhood your nature seemed geared towards reflection rather than action. I hold to this view not because you engaged in reflection, but because even when circumstances did not seem to be particularly reinforcing or reflection, you still engaged in it. Hence, quite likely you had a solidified unconscious tendency to do that.

I would say that you are extroverted because on this forum you show a tendency to be expressive significantly more than an average introvert does, even when you're not prompted. Again, I see what your true tendency is because it manifests under circumstances where behaving in a way that I think is the most natural to you was not rewarded or reinforced.

You weren't particularly sociable because it was almost impossible for you to be sociable in the environment around you.

I would say Feeling type rather than Thinking because your intellectual interests had little to do with systematic thought. Your interests primarily gravitated towards languages or Fine arts. To this day, I do not see a natural tendency within you to approach ideas in a way that a person of an NT mindset would want to.

As for your ambition to display competence, this could be attributed to your upbringing where you felt you had something to prove to your grandparents. Namely that you are deserving of respect and one way to do that is by excelling at activities that you're talented at.

Although Fine Arts (Languages) is primarily an N oriented activity, because it involved scholarly endeavors frequently, it is persuasive that it has developed your Thinking. As a result, you were able to enjoy its benefits without being influenced by it nearly as much as many NT types tended to.

To be an F type does not mean to be person-focused as Liquid Laser may say. To be an F type means to be focused on emotive valuations or mind-states that refer to other mind-states as either pleasant or unpleasant. For many F people, interacting with other individuals offers satisfactory opportunities to do so. Yet your personal background led you to elect the Fine arts as a substitute for the activity of interacting with people.

Chloe

ESTJ. or ESFJ.
+you seem enneagram 3 (competence, competing with classmates)

simulatedworld

Freshman Member
MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
7w6
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
Ok, I've caught up on this thread and after reading more of your self-descriptions as well as functional identifications, I'm going to swap my position to ESTJ with strongly developed Ne and Fi.

Te, Si, Ne, Fi make sense as a general structure?

Little Linguist

Striving for balance
MBTI Type
xNFP
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
First, thank you to Liquid Laser for your ideas. I will definitely consider them in my analysis.

Second, EnFpFer, thanks once again, and please allow me to address your points:

I hear you. Again, sounds a lot like my mother(EXTJ).:D She was incredibly dutiful as a child and still is as an adult. She was motivated by making her parents proud, and is incredibly achievement oriented. Do you generally appreciate the role of authority figures?

I am dutiful if I believe the person in question (authority or not) has my best interests in mind and the things that person says make sense. I'm not about to hop on any bandwagon just because some authority figure tells me to do something, though.

Take the example of not speaking in class: If I speak in class, I distract myself and my classmates. I cannot listen or focus. Besides, most of what they have to say is crap that no one cares about anyway. If on a scale of 1 to 10 the things your classmates have to say is a 1-3 and the teacher says a 5-7, and you're getting graded for the more interesting stuff, doesn't it make sense to pay attention to the teacher.

It makes total sense to me how you would feel that way. You were seeking security, like all children do. When you found it, you were willing to do most anything to hold on to it.

Right.

I did too!! Well, being an only child was pretty rare until somewhat recently, in the West, at least. I wanted siblings because I wanted to be like "everyone else". Being an only child, amongst other things, made me feel different

We had the same conclusion, but not the same primary motivation. I thought that if I had siblings, I finally would not be alone and would have someone to relate to. At that young age, I did not take into account that my siblings would actually be completely different, hate my guts, or beat me up.

But it's not too late to start, right?!

I wish I could say you're right, but I hate parties, especially hosting them. Totally not my thing. I wish it were different because I'm sure I'd have lots more (fake?) friends - ah never mind, scratch that, I'm happy the way I am.

Reading that just tickled me to no end. Seriously, mom? That's pretty much the exact thing that she used to tell her own students. You're pretty explicit about what you expect, no? Pretty firm once you've made yourself clear?

EXACTLY! If I make my expectations clear and even give students a certain amount of leeway for creativity and expression within those boundaries AND I give students every chance to talk to me before, during and after class, during which time I show fair compassion, then I expect my expectations to be carried out. And when people THEN do not listen or abide by my rules, then I take out the whip and say, "No more Ms.-Nice-Teacher." (Not literally, but you know what I mean. Some people really need that).
LOL, I see what you're saying, yes.

I've never been a clubber either or much of a drinker, but I love the noise factor of a party, and I love being around so many people who seem to be happy and enjoying life. I welcome happy chaos; although, I prefer close intimacy with that chaos. I am bugged by people who are, what I would consider to be, irresponsible with their bodies. Then again, people's weaknesses typically give me interest in them.

It bothers me. I like to get away from it. In fact, I would rather do an interesting activity, like go out to eat and have great discussions in a nice, quiet atmosphere. Or I would like to have a nice glass of wine in the middle of nature. Or I would like to go to a museum or something, and discuss things. Or I would prefer going over someone's house and watching movies and chit-chat. But otherwise, blahhhh. No parties.

IXXJ or EXXJ, that's my incomplete, and final, answer.;) You seem very dutiful, you easily make judgment calls about people, were studios, competitive for the thrill of competition(and also to make your grandparents proud), have a clearly defined understanding of "success", are put off by people/ideas that seem far outside the norm, have little pity for the underdog or those you see to be not truly desiring or deserving of help, work well within a traditional institution, etc....None of those things seem ENFPish to me, and those are the very things that seem to define much of who you are.

Thank you. You were very helpful in narrowing down the possibilities, just like Liquid Laser gave a very specific approach, which I appreciate.

BlueScreen

Fail 2.0
MBTI Type
YMCA
Have you looked at the ENFJ profile much? Does the type seem alien or sort of an okay fit?

Little Linguist

Striving for balance
MBTI Type
xNFP
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
The Liquid Laser thinks you're an NTJ because you seemed studious, thoughtful and achievement oriented as a child. I don't see this as evidence that you're an NT. Liquid Laser's method was that of a typical MBTI typologist: if we see that a person is competence oriented and studious, he is an NT. In fact, the definition of an NT or any type for Liquid Laser consists in having a certain set of personality qualities.

Why is this not accurate? How do you want to find a core personality?

I guess your argumentation would be that a person has the possibility to display character traits completely antithetical to his 'true' personality. I agree; however, I think it is more difficult to prove that one aspect is 'true' and another 'false.'

For example, many people think that when I come on Vent and act wild and crazy, I must be an NP or SP because an NJ or SJ just wouldn't be that strange and peculiar. Well, perhaps that is the case, but I think some people believe I behave like that all the time, when I really only do it to relax, after which time, I'm quiet and reflective, hard-working and analytical again. But I need these bursts to sort of regain balance.

Another example is that people think "Oh you are such an emotive person that you must be an F." That could very well be. However, I don't think I can stress how DIFFICULT it was for me to get to that point. And to be honest, in real life, I think people think I'm this warm, fuzzy person who goes around hugging people all the time and jumping on tables and dancing or whatever. *shakes her head* I'm really NOT. Just because I make a joke about doing something strange on Vent or someone's blog doesn't mean I would actually do it. It's just a funny, strange idea that pops into my head and leaves as quickly as it came.

This won't cut it because we frequently display contradictory personality qualities or have qualities that identify with many profile descriptions. We must step away from an action-based and personality based typology and onto the study of the subject that deals with solid tendencies of thought first and foremost.

Agreed, however, how do you cut a person's personality away from action? How do you demonstrate personality except through action or the lack of action? Okay, thoughts and feelings, right! But how do you decide if these thoughts and feelings are 'real' 'unconscious' 'natural tendencies' or learned attributes. Does it even matter? I'm not so sure.

But it would be good if you could demonstrate another way we could do it that would be more effective.

I would say that you are definitely intuitive because since your childhood your nature seemed geared towards reflection rather than action. I hold to this view not because you engaged in reflection, but because even when circumstances did not seem to be particularly reinforcing or reflection, you still engaged in it. Hence, quite likely you had a solidified unconscious tendency to do that.

I would agree. That's the one big problem I have with S-type. Personally, I think it would be way more practical to be an S-type, and I would be more than happy to call myself an S-type. However, I need to take personal preferences out of it and be honest: Do I really display S-type behavior? Sometimes, sure, everyone does. My natural tendency has always been N, though. But I can only prove this through behavioral tendencies, and that does not hold water with you, so I really do not know how to prove it otherwise (i.e. how do you prove an impression?)

I would say that you are extroverted because on this forum you show a tendency to be expressive significantly more than an average introvert does, even when you're not prompted. Again, I see what your true tendency is because it manifests under circumstances where behaving in a way that I think is the most natural to you was not rewarded or reinforced.

This could very well be. However, even today I spend a great majority of my free time alone, with my husband, or with one or two friends. I do not feel comfortable at large parties or get-togethers unless I know that the topic of discussion is one I'm well-versed in.

You weren't particularly sociable because it was almost impossible for you to be sociable in the environment around you.

Well, okay, good point.

I would say Feeling type rather than Thinking because your intellectual interests had little to do with systematic thought.

Analyzing paper structure and grammar has nothing to do with systematic thought? Preparing lessons adequately to take a huge macrocosm and place it to the level others can understand is not systematic thought? Keeping track of all these methods of evaluation, developing them and implementing them and explaining them to others has nothing to do with systematic thought? I'd beg to differ. I'm always analyzing - it's just not apparent to you because I only discuss things I find challenging, not the things that come easily to me. That's why I always talk about people, red tape, and my internal conflicts because THOSE are the things that challenge me, not analyzing and explaining complex grammatical structures.

Your interests primarily gravitated towards languages or Fine arts.

So according to this argument, you think that most people who engage themselves in languages must by definition not be NT? Language is VERY VERY systematic. It's just as systematic as math, only people think that because you do not get one answer for one equation that it is NOT the case. It's amorphous, they think.

As much as we language nerds love to say we hate math, the truth is that they are two peas in a pod. But because you can get away with 'not knowing the formulas and exactness' (e.g. grammar, complex structures, logic) much more easily than math, it can appeal to people who put less emphasis on it.

In addition, math does not exactly facilitate interaction among people, whereas language is the key. However, does that mean that everyone who is interested in languages is interested in interacting with people? Sure, most linguists and language nerds say that because they do not want to rant about the beautiful complexities of each language they learn. That usually gets a blank stare as a reaction, so you learn to package it correctly.

Fact of the matter is: I do not engage in languages because it helps me to speak to more people, or because I can understand cultures or blah blah blah. That's all rhetoric that I love to throw around because it gets smiles and nods and everyone says, "Oh, how astute." The point is, I love it because I'm good at it. Because I get it. It makes sense to me, and it gives me a kick. I never had to study languages. I soaked it up. Imbibed it. And because I was so successful, I enjoyed it.

To this day, I do not see a natural tendency within you to approach ideas in a way that a person of an NT mindset would want to.

Fair enough. Proof?

As for your ambition to display competence, this could be attributed to your upbringing where you felt you had something to prove to your grandparents. Namely that you are deserving of respect and one way to do that is by excelling at activities that you're talented at.

I'm really not sure if my desire to display competence mainly comes from inside or outside. Logically, if it were so based on my circumstances, then I would either STOP doing it now that I am in completely new surroundings or it has been so deeply entrenched that I cannot help but be that way now.

However, I am just as driven, if not more so, now than I was then. Perhaps for the right reasons - not to be the best or whatever, but for myself. I've always been that annoying person who said, "Damn it! 99%! Why didn't I get 100%? What an idiot!" Nowadays, I keep those thoughts to myself because I realize it really annoys the hell out of people and alienates me from them.

It's important to point out that I'm really only like that in those things that I excel in. Otherwise, I am not that anal retentive.

Although Fine Arts (Languages) is primarily an N oriented activity, because it involved scholarly endeavors frequently, it is persuasive that it has developed your Thinking. As a result, you were able to enjoy its benefits without being influenced by it nearly as much as many NT types tended to.

Good point. Possibly valid. Proof?

To be an F type does not mean to be person-focused as Liquid Laser may say. To be an F type means to be focused on emotive valuations or mind-states that refer to other mind-states as either pleasant or unpleasant. For many F people, interacting with other individuals offers satisfactory opportunities to do so. Yet your personal background led you to elect the Fine arts as a substitute for the activity of interacting with people.

Hmm...So then I would ask you to compare how I interact to the world around me with how a T would do so (keeping in mind there are indeed Ts who also interact with the world differently than an INTP would) and explain why you do not see those tendencies in me to disprove the possibility that I could be T, if you are willing to tackle it.

The second thing I would like you to do (if you feel up to it) is to say which type you think most accurately describes my preferences (if not now, then later, when you have the information you need) assuming I am NF.

Thank you once again.

Little Linguist

Striving for balance
MBTI Type
xNFP
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
ESTJ. or ESFJ.
+you seem enneagram 3 (competence, competing with classmates)

Ok, I've caught up on this thread and after reading more of your self-descriptions as well as functional identifications, I'm going to swap my position to ESTJ with strongly developed Ne and Fi.

Te, Si, Ne, Fi make sense as a general structure?

This could very well be. I would actually be happy to be S. However, the main issue I have with this argument is: How do you account for the prevalence of N in my childhood and adult behavior. Again, Solitary would claim that behavior is not an accurate indicator for personality, and in some cases I would tend to agree with him. However, I do believe that N in many cases permeates my childhood.

On the other hand, I might just misinterpret N. There are several things about the dominant Te profiles that appeal to me, as well as dominant Si. However, there is too much that I relate to regarding dominant Ni and Ne profiles to totally discount an N typing.

One thing is clear: I'm fairly certain I'm not a dominant Fe or Se type. These are definitely acquired traits for me. Fi is also an acquired trait. If I had to narrow down my natural preferences, I'd probably say

Ni Ne Te

All the others were acquired. Later. Somewhere down the line. Of course that could also mean I acquired more Si somewhere down the line.

Let me check the ESTJ and ESFJ profiles and get back to you. That's best.

Little Linguist

Striving for balance
MBTI Type
xNFP
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
ESTJ analysis

Extraverted Thinking

ESTJs are very good at making impersonal decisions quickly, and standing by those decisions. Eh, it depends. Work, yes, relationships, no. They live in their Extraverted Thinking functioning, thus, their prime directive is in discovering that which is true and logical in the events of the real world. Um, maybe? Circumstances calling for product invite the ESTJ to supervise or direct other individuals toward production and productivity. YES. Extraverts are attracted to the "object," the external things and people in observable reality. Um, sort of. This bent translates into a natural interest in goods and material objects. No.

Introverted Sensing

The secondary Introverted Sensing is like that of the ISTJ, but not as strong. Si provides practical form and concept data to the Te head, however, form is not the overriding principle, especially if Thinking has already decided. Huh? In times of need, ESTJs are tempted to overlook even necessary information if its absence impedes closure. True. Sometimes. Depending. Secondary sensing sometimes translates into interest in sports. EWWWW NO! The persistence of primary Thinking gives many ESTJs a desire for discipline and regimen which can be beneficial in skills development in the arena. BAH!

Extraverted iNtuition
As the ESTJ matures, and as situations arise which call for suspension of criticism, Extraverted iNtuition is allowed to play. True. Under the leadership of the Te function, iNtuition gravitates toward the discovery of broad categories which at worst amount to stereotypes. Um, no. Those ESTJs who hone their Ne abilities may find success in academia. I'm very successful here - naturally. I did not really have to push. (I've encountered ESTJs whose Ne overshadows the auxiliary Si function--for whatever reason--to the extent that there is an appearance of NT radical geekism.)

Introverted Feeling
This function may rarely be expressed. ESTJs who have cultivated, or have been blessed with, a "natural indirect expression of good will by inference," have great prospects of developing genuine friendships (as opposed to ESTJs who merely act out the behavior of Extraverted Feeling). Heh heh heh heh. Such a weak, introverted function is best observed in facial expression, eye contact, body language, and verbally only by implication. Eh, well, when I was younger, yes.

Overall, I'd say, no. It doesn't fit, and I don't have a good feeling about it.

Little Linguist

Striving for balance
MBTI Type
xNFP
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
ESFJ analysis

Extraverted Feeling

ESFJs live in their Extraverted Feeling functioning. Um, okay... Feeling, a rational (i.e., deciding) function, expresses opinions easily in the E world of objects and people. This was acquired, not natural. ESFJs have the ability to express warmth, rage, and a range of other emotions. Again, acquired. Actions are encouraged or rebuked based on how they affect other people, especially people near and dear to the ESFJ. Hmm, doesn't really happen to me. This type's vocal decisiveness predisposes many of its number to facility with administration and supervision. Could be. I'm a teacher.

Introverted Sensing

The secondary Sensing function aids and abets the dominant Fe in that sensate data is collected and at once compared with the inner forms or standards. Um, okay. Data on which decisions are made are thus focused and given a contrast which tends to be stronger and clearer than the original stimuli. Whatever that means. The strengthening effect of Si on Fe may be responsible for this type's reputation for wearing their "hearts on their sleeves." Well, sometimes I do that, depending on the situation. At any rate, ESFJs reflect the "black and white" view of reality which is common to the SJ types.NO!

Extraverted iNtuition

Intuition is tertiary--as the ESFJ matures, and as situations arise which call for suspension of criticism, Ne is allowed to play. Yes. Under the leadership of the Fe function, iNtuition allows for a loosening of the more rigid Si rights and wrongs; teasing and slapstick humor emerge. Yes, under the right circumstances, though. ESFJs are also capable of discerning patterns and philosophies, but such perceiving is subject to the weakness of the tertiary position, and the results often lack the variety and complexity of connections that more complex systems require. Hmm, not sure.

Introverted Thinking
The inferior Ti function may rarely be expressed. In fact, ESFJs may take affront at the aloof, detached nature of dominant Ti types, or conversely, be drawn to them. I'm drawn to them. Heh. Some ESFJs construct rationale which have the appearance of (Jungian) Thinking logic, but under scrutiny are in fact command performances of "Thinking in the service of Feeling," (i.e., Thinking-like conclusions which do not obey the tenets of impersonal logic; they rather construct scenarios from only those "hard, cold facts" which support the conclusion reached by the dominant Extraverted Feeling function. To wit:
You don't sew with a fork, so I see no reason to eat
with knitting needles.
-- Miss Piggy, on eating Chinese Food
Huh?

Overall, I'd say...no, not really...I mean maybe, but probably not.

Little Linguist

Striving for balance
MBTI Type
xNFP
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
ENFJ analysis

Extraverted Feeling

Extraverted Feeling rules the ENFJ's psyche. Here we go again... In the sway of this rational function, these folks are predisposed to closure in matters pertaining to people, and especially on behalf of their beloved. Closure, yes. People - sigh. As extraverts, their contacts are wide ranging. No. Face-to-face relationships are intense, personable and warm, though they may be so infrequently achieved that intimate friendships are rare. Depends.

Introverted iNtuition
Like their INFJ cousins, ENFJs are blessed through introverted intuition with clarity of perception in the inner, unconscious world. That would be nice. Dominant Feeling prefers to find the silver lining in even the most beggarly perceptions of those in their expanding circle of friends and, of course, in themselves. NO OH GOD NO... In less balanced individuals, such mitigation of the unseemly eventually undermines the ENFJ's integrity and frequently their good name.Pfft. In healthier individuals, deft use of this awareness of the inner needs and desires of others enables this astute type to win friends, influence people, and avoid compromising entanglements. Ay yi yi.
The dynamic nature of their intuition moves ENFJs from one project to another with the assurance that the next one will be perfect, or much more nearly so than the last. This is true. ENFJs are continually looking for newer and better solutions to benefit their extensive family, staff, or organization. Um, yes!

Extraverted Sensing
Sensing is extraverted. Do I have this? Just kidding. ENFJs can manage details, particularly those necessary to implement the prevailing vision. NO NO DETAILS please nooooo!These data have, however, a magical flexible quality. Magical quality. Hm. Something to be bought can be had for a song; the same something is invaluable when it's time to sell. (We are not certain, but we suspect that such is the influence of the primary function.) This wavering of sensory perception is made possible by the weaker and less mature status with which the tertiary is endowed. Yuck, yuck, yuck, noooo. Go into store, get product, leave. Thank you. I know it was an example/metaphor, but ugh, no.

Introverted Thinking
Introverted Thinking is least apparent and most enigmatic in this type. In fact, it often appears only when summoned by Feeling. At times only in jest, but in earnest if need be, Thinking entertains as logical only those conclusions which support Feeling's values. What does that mean? Other scenarios can be shown invalid or at best significantly inferior. Such "Thinking in the service of Feeling" has the appearance of logic, but somehow it never quite adds up. Examples? I still don't get what Ti is.
Introverted Thinking is frequently the focus of the spiritual quest of ENFJs. David's lengthiest psalm, 119, pays it homage. "Law," "precept," "commandment," "statute:" these essences of inner thinking are the mysteries of Deity for which this great Feeler's soul searched. Eh, whatever, quitcher blabbin'.

Eh, no.

Little Linguist

Striving for balance
MBTI Type
xNFP
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
ENFP (Since everyone thinks I'm this, let's see)

Extraverted iNtuition

The physical world, both geos and kosmos, is the ENFP's primary source of information. Huh? Okay? Rather than sensing things as they are, dominant intuition is sensitive to things as they might be. True. These extraverted intuitives are most adept with patterns and connections. Sometimes, yes, especially languages. Their natural inclination is toward relationships, especially among people or living things. BAH!
Intuition leans heavily on feeling for meaning and focus. What does this look like? I do not know. Its best patterns reflect the interesting points of people, giving rise to caricatures of manner, speech and expression. Whatever the hell that means...

Introverted Feeling

Auxiliary feeling is nonverbally implied more often than it is openly expressed. Okay. When expressed, this logic has an aura of romance and purity that may seem out of place in this flawed, imperfect world. Maybe. In its own defense, feeling judgement frequently and fleetly gives way to humor. Huh? ENFPs who publicize their feelings too often may put off some of the crowd of friends they naturally attract. Yes, that's why you zip the lip.

Extraverted Thinking
Thinking, the process which runs to impersonal conclusions, holds the extraverted tertiary position. Used on an occasional basis, ENFPs may benefit greatly from this ability. Yep. Less mature and lacking the polish of higher order functions, Thinking is not well suited to be used as a prominent function. Why not? As with other FP types, the ENFP unwary of Thinking's limitations may find themselves most positively mistaken. Well that can happen to anyone. I really did not think this explanation was adequate.

Introverted Sensing
Sensing, the least discernible ENFP function, resides in the inner world where reality is reduced to symbols and icons--ideas representing essences of external realities. Huh? Under the influence of the ever-present intuition, the ENFP's sensory perceptions are in danger of being replaced by hypothetical data consistent with pattern and paradigm. When it is protected and nourished, introverted sensing provides information about the fixed. What the hell did all this mean??? From such firm anchoring ENFPs are best equipped to launch into thousands of plausibilities and curiosities yet to be imagined. Eh, no....only when I am excited about something; then I think of all the possibilities and construct worlds before anything happens.
Perhaps the combination of introverted Feeling and childlike introverted Sensing is responsible for the silent pull of ENFPs to the wishes of parents, authority figures and friends. Eh, yes, that's true. Or perhaps it's the predominance of indecisive intuition in combination with the ambiguity of secondary Fi and tertiary Te that induces these kind souls to capitulate even life-affecting decisions. HAHAHA! Okay, okay, yes...damn it. Someone else tell me my type - pleaseeeee I can't decide for myself. What a dumb ass. Whatever the dynamic, ENFPs are strongly influenced by the opinions of their friends. *ahem* *whistling*

Little Linguist

Striving for balance
MBTI Type
xNFP
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
Okay, okay, I admit, that was the best one so far...but a lot of things still don't fit. My need for closure and security. My need for organization. My Te is a great deal stronger than ^^^ that. And all this feeling...ugh. People. ugh. Geez.

Can't there be a RATIONAL ENFP type? Yeah. That's me. A rational ENFP. Is there such a thing?

Not such a flighty, weird, nutty, drug-using, alcohol-consuming, lari-fari, we-all-have-something-to-offer, let's-have-a-crazy-sexual-avatar, OMG-like-my-values, let's-all-hug-each-other, we-are-all-the-same, having-a-billion-friends-and-acquaintances, crazy, bizarre, feeling, weird, annoying, wacked-out ENFP. (I probably just alienated myself from 99% of ENFPs out there, and get a bunch of hate mail saying I'm stereotyping against ENFPs, but whatever...they strike me as a bunch of hippies just coasting through life. REALLY.) <--- Fe-fail, sorry folks. Well, no I'm not. It's true; it is my impression of a LOT of them. Just have to do a head-smack when I think I'm one of these guys. :doh:

Just a normal, structured, focused, career-oriented, ambitious, quiet, non-party going, just-having-a-few-friends-once-in-a-while, fair, strict, non-rebellious, non-drinking-smoking-drug-using, loyal, reliable, punctual, dependable, dealing-by-the-rules-unless-the-rules-don't-make-sense, analytical, thinking, DECENT ENFP??? That's my type, whatever that is.

Little Linguist

Striving for balance
MBTI Type
xNFP
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
INTJ analysis

Introverted iNtuition

INTJs are idea people. Yes. Anything is possible; everything is negotiable. Well, almost anything, let's not talk in absolutes, here. Whatever the outer circumstances, INTJs are ever perceiving inner pattern-forms and using real-world materials to operationalize them. Yes. Others may see what is and wonder why; INTJs see what might be and say "Why not?!" I ask both! :DParadoxes, antinomies, and other contradictory phenomena aptly express these intuitors' amusement at those whom they feel may be taking a particular view of reality too seriously. Yes. INTJs enjoy developing unique solutions to complex problems. Yes

Extraverted Thinking
Thinking in this auxiliary role is a workhorse. Ohhhh yeahhhhh. Closure is the payoff for efforts expended. Yes. Evaluation begs diagnosis; product drives process. Makes sense. As they come to light, Thinking tends, protects, affirms and directs iNtuition's offspring, fully equipping them for fulfilling and useful lives. Right. A faithful pedagogue, Thinking argues not so much on its own behalf, but in defense of its charges. I think so? And through this process these impressionable ideas take on the likeness of their master. Whatever that means...maybe?

Introverted Feeling
Feeling has a modest inner room, two doors down from the Most Imminent iNtuition. It doesn't get out much, but lends its influence on behalf of causes which are Good and Worthy and Humane. Yes, I can be very compassionate when I think someone has 'earned' it. We may catch a glimpse of it in the unspoken attitude of good will, or the gracious smile or nod. Yes, I do this a lot. Some question the existence of Feeling in this type, yet its unseen balance to Thinking is a cardinal dimension in the full measure of the INTJ's soul. Could be. Hmm.

Extraverted Sensing
Sensing serves with a good will, or not at all. Right. As other inferior functions, it has only a rudimentary awareness of context, amount or degree. Thus INTJs sweat the details or, at times, omit them. YES!!!!! So true! "I've made up my mind, don't confuse me with the facts" could well have been said by an INTJ on a mission. HAHAH! Sensing's extraverted attitude is evident in this type's bent to savor sensations rather than to merely categorize them. True. Indiscretions of indulgence are likely an expression of the unconscious vengeance of the inferior. Yes, but it doesn't happen very often.

WOW, that was also very telling. I think I'm an ENFP/INTJ hybrid. Is that possible?

Let's move onto ENTJ because several people thought that was a possibility.