• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Is he an ISFP and an ISTP?

countrygirl

MBTI Type
ISFJ
Well don't get the impression that T's are robots and F's are sensitive. Although that is a stereotype I can tell you that I am an emotional person I mainly make my decisions on a logical basis sometimes impulsive . Also I usually don't react emotionally to the external before I think things through.

That's a good point since I usually deal with emotions that need to be sorted out/thought about before I could act on a situation. I must deal with my emotions first to make a decision.

HappyHeart

MBTI Type
ENFP
Well don't get the impression that T's are robots and F's are sensitive. Although that is a stereotype I can tell you that I am an emotional person I mainly make my decisions on a logical basis sometimes impulsive . Also I usually don't react emotionally to the external before I think things through.

Thanks for sharing that. I definitely think that sounds like the person I'm dating. If he is ISTP, then I guess we have that duality thing going, which I don't quite understand yet...I'll just see what happens. But while we're on the topic, would you mind telling me what kinds of things would mean a lot to you in a relationship? (Other than space/downtime ;))

wolfy

awsm
I can relate to everything in the OP. How is he with other people? Overall is he more detached or friendly?

HappyHeart

MBTI Type
ENFP
I can relate to everything in the OP. How is he with other people? Overall is he more detached or friendly?

I would say that he is friendly toward everyone, but definitely still detached. The majority of his friends are men and he is not overtly flirtatious with women.

wolfy

awsm
I would say that he is friendly toward everyone, but definitely still detached. The majority of his friends are men and he is not overtly flirtatious with women.

Still sounds like me. I'm curious what you mean by detached here. Could you explain more? It's very hard to get the difference between isfp and istp. In a lot of ways if you can get down to isp then you have most of it anyway.

Is he more informing or directive with people?

HappyHeart

MBTI Type
ENFP
Still sounds like me. I'm curious what you mean by detached here. Could you explain more? It's very hard to get the difference between isfp and istp. In a lot of ways if you can get down to isp then you have most of it anyway.

Is he more informing or directive with people?

I guess what I mean is that he's friendly and he participates in group discussions, but he really doesn't seem to need people. That may not have anything to do with his F or T though -- that might be more about his I. Still, even though he might not need people and connection in the way that someone like me would, he definitely still wants to be there for the action and he enjoys having novel experiences. When we first started talking about going out he wrote in his email something like -- let me know if there some music you would like to check out, new restaurant you would like to try, or event you would like to go to. He is precise and specific in the way he writes and communicates. As far as the informing/directive question is concerned, it is hard to say. He has definite opinions (I see more and more of this), but doesn't put them out there very freely, especially not in a group setting.

wolfy

awsm
I guess what I mean is that he's friendly and he participates in group discussions, but he really doesn't seem to need people. That may not have anything to do with his F or T though -- that might be more about his I. Still, even though he might not need people and connection in the way that someone like me would, he definitely still wants to be there for the action and he enjoys having novel experiences. When we first started talking about going out he wrote in his email something like -- let me know if there some music you would like to check out, new restaurant you would like to try, or event you would like to go to. He is precise and specific in the way he writes and communicates. As far as the informing/directive question is concerned, it is hard to say. He has definite opinions (I see more and more of this), but doesn't put them out there very freely, especially not in a group setting.

He seems like a nice guy. I think as far as type goes he fits isfp better.

HappyHeart

MBTI Type
ENFP
Thanks again to everyone for sharing your thoughts on this. If I ever figure it out for sure, I'll let y'all know!

Zenihita

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
He sounds like an ISTP to me.

I have a (supposedly) ISTP friend who's type I couldn't determine for awhile.
The T/F dichotomy was particularly puzzling, but then suddenly it all clicked together. With some people it can be quite obvious, when it's not I use the following technique:
I think about their behaviour in a group setting: with team of their coworkers or classmates or group mates, not their friends though, because that's different. Feelers seem to be way more dimplomatic with people, they are not likely to openly oppose anyone, they care about maintaining pleasent atmosphere and feel very uncomfortable when someone dislikes them. Normally they won't mock people, they're jokes will be very mild and aimed more to make the relationship warmer than to show how witty they are (except maybe with their friends who they know are not going to get offended). Thinkers can sometimes mock somebody or be open about despising them.
It also seems that when Fs are not well-liked in a group of people they will feel like there's something wrong with them, while Ts are more likely to show "they are all idiots and who needs them anyway" attitude.
Hmm this seems so clear and simple in my head, but somehow I can't quite explain it right... I hope it makes sense.

Also to give you some clues, my ISTP is very competitive and playful, can be passive aggressive (she will hardly ever be open about being frustrated, or angry) and she likes making fun of other people a lot (A LOT) sometimes even in a mean way, but will feel very hurt when someone makes fun of her, even if it's not really mean. I suppose those are the charachteristics of the type not just my friend.