• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

I have no type... help me

What type is Babylon Candle?

• Total voters

JustHer

Pumpernickel
MBTI Type
ENTJ
Wait, what? Some people would actually say the future is to the right? Why the right?

VagrantFarce

Wait, what? Some people would actually say the future is to the right? Why the right?

It's not so much that the future is on the right, but the idea that NPs feel more like observers of time passing by them.

Venom

Babylon Candle
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
1w9
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
OK, I think it's fair to assume from now on that you're a J. ;) (or a really unhealthy IP, but we'll ignore that possibility for now). You said earlier you're definately not an S, which I'll also assume.

ISTP could work...though I feel like I care too much to be an ISTP. Ages 5 to 9 though I got in trouble A LOT. sometimes I forget that. Usually though it was because I couldnt communicate, or find the words to say (some language learning issues) and I would just use force (i really dont remember my mindset then!). My dad is ISTP. I feel like we have similarities, but he's definitely more S than me, is less organized, is less introspective, and is less feely and less into learning for its own sake (though I do like him a lot :D). I'm much more critical of overly Se things.
So, do you identify with descriptions of Introverted Intuition? e.g. this page talks a lot about it

Also, a fun exercise:

Stand up and visualize time as a continuum flowing from future to past. Spatially indicate with your hands where the future, present, and past are, respectively, in relation to yourself. Try to actually FEEL where they are around you by touching them with your hands. After you have done so (for real! -- not just in your head!), read this.

I'm definitely NJ over NP based on that description. When I picture time, I feel myself and everything around me being "stretched" both towards the future and then behind me towards the past (ie 4 dimensions). I feel that the current "time location" is simply one locus and I continue to "fall into" every ensuing locus on this stretched-out-time-sphere.

Thalassa

Permabanned
MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sx
I have a feeling that it only applies to introverted types

this page is a wonderful read, btw :)

I also have problems with the moving up, moving back thing. I actually have to look at dates on a calendar to understand what people mean by that.

In terms of "positioning" of time...I can't be observing time. That's absurd. If I could observe time, I could travel in time. But I can't. Time passes through me in the present, otherwise my physical body wouldn't be where it is. If I were merely a slip of metaphysical consciousness, then I wouldn't be so sure of that, but I do indeed have a body which refuses to manifest itself in 1922 or 1979 upon demand.

VagrantFarce

I'm much more critical of overly Se things.

If that isn't NJ, I don't know what is. :)

OK, that's narrowed it down to 4! :D

INFJ
ENFJ
INTJ
ENTJ

And if my previous assumption with Fe is correct, that narrows it down even more!

INFJ
ENFJ

So, do you lead with Ni or Fe? If descriptions aren't good enough to decide, a good way is to determine your Inferior Function or Tertiary Function.

I also have problems with the moving up, moving back thing. I actually have to look at dates on a calendar to understand what people mean by that.

In terms of "positioning" of time...I can't be observing time. That's absurd. If I could observe time, I could travel in time. But I can't. Time passes through me in the present, otherwise my physical body wouldn't be where it is. If I were merely a slip of metaphysical consciousness, then I wouldn't be so sure of that, but I do indeed have a body which refuses to manifest itself in 1922 or 1979 upon demand.

I wonder if you really are an ENFP? :devil:

Venom

Babylon Candle
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
1w9
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx

INFJ
ENFJ
INTJ
ENTJ

And if my previous assumption with Fe is correct, that narrows it down even more!

INFJ
ENFJ

So, do you lead with Ni or Fe? If descriptions aren't good enough to decide, a good way is to determine your Inferior Function or Tertiary Function.

I have a theory in mind right now. It would unite the ISTP aspects, the ESFP aspects (that JJ apparently sees), the NJ aspects, and
the Fe-vs-Fi aspects. Its brewing in my head. As soon as I'm done eating,
I will revisit my brain and hopefully present it for all of you.

It will be different than the typical archetype and function development.

Thalassa

Permabanned
MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sx

INFJ
ENFJ
INTJ
ENTJ

INFJ
ENFJ

I wonder if you really are an ENFP? :devil:

I'm completely open to your analysis. You are extremely knowledgable and helpful to others. I originally tested INFJ the first few times I took an MBTI test, but after I learned more about it, I think I was answering the questions according to what I thought I "should" say than the truth. What I admit as being closer to the truth about me garners the results of INFP and ENFP usually.

People always tell me that I use a great deal of Fi on here, but maybe they're led by the fact that NFP is on my profile.

I will say that when I take "functions" tests my Ni and Ne are almost identical, but my Fi is higher than my Fe. I also feel a fairly strong resonance with some aspects of Si, but I'm not detail oriented enough to be an SJ.

Lauren Ashley

Revelation
MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Marmalade = ENFP. With strong Fi. Yup, final answer. :yes:

Venom

Babylon Candle
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
1w9
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx

INFJ
ENFJ
INTJ
ENTJ

INFJ
ENFJ

I really like the tertiary temptation thing. I especially like this George Costanza breakdown:

Hypothesis: INTP "in the grip" of the inferior function
"Everyone has to like me"

Inferior extraverted feeling shows up in nearly every episode, but comes out explicitly when his girlfriend asks him rhetorically, "Does everyone have to like you?" George answers, "Yes! Everyone has to like me!" Here we see George's quixotic quest laid plain. He wants to be liked. But always on his terms, never on others'.

Whenever anyone doesn't like or respect George, he views this as a failure of reason in need of correction. The other person must be set straight so they properly appreciate George and see for themselves that he has only been doing right, only for the purest motives of respect for the right order of things. Thus he appeals to introverted thinking. He tries to get people to see what truly makes sense--that they should like him.

This always fails because Fe is not a matter of doing what makes sense, it's a matter of finding a place for yourself in the world of mutual obligations that grow out of what people actually do like. Some people like stuff that other people don't like, and from an Fe perspective, that's all there is to it. You can't argue someone into liking something. From a developed Fe perspective, you form your identity by your choices of whom to side with. You find commonalities where they really exist. You cultivate shared values where there is a foundation for common interest. You expand your sense of value to fit in, you don't demand that people be reasonable as you define reasonable. You genuinely bare your heart to people in a way that they understand without effort. When a dom-Fe type sincerely bares his heart, it automatically comes out in a politically acceptable way, because his heart has genuinely formed to fit his social niche. When dom-Fe types express warmth, they're not faking it. They choose conventional forms of expression simply because they know that these forms convey their true feelings clearly.

There is simply no way to leap directly from a dom-Ti approach to a dom-Fe approach. When your whole value system centers around faithfulness to the causal order of things without regard for whether people like it, genuinely baring your heart means you're going to alienate nearly everyone in your society. If you insist on proving to them that your values are better than theirs (trying to win in the communal-values world by intransigent appeal to Ti), you're also going to alienate nearly everyone you meet.
"Opposite George"

Lenore Thomson's theory that the secondary function usually leads the way out of ruts like that might go as follows. While George usually uses extraverted intuition to concoct elaborate lies and deceive people ("Art Vandelay", the house in The Hamptons, etc.), always trying to keep the situation under his control, a truly extraverted approach to Ne would lead him to take chances by trying new things to see where they lead. Genuinely leap into the unknown, in other words, by pouncing on opportunities to open up new potential.

This actually happens in the "Opposite George" episode. George observes that his instincts are always wrong. People say "trust your instincts" but his instincts always lead him to say or do the wrong thing. So he gets the idea of doing the exact opposite of his instincts. Thus is born "Opposite George". Whatever George would do instinctively, Opposite George will do the opposite. A gorgeous tall blonde in the diner has looked in his direction. His instinct would be to stay away from her--she's out of his reach. Instead, he walks up to her and says that he's unemployed and lives with his parents. She's interested.

Later that episode, he interviews for a job with the Yankees. The interview is going well. Then George Steinbrenner walks in. George would have tried to suck up to Steinbrenner (inferior Fe, trying to curry favor by announcing commonality of values). Opposite George takes control: he tells off Steinbrenner, criticizing his decisions and accusing him of destroying a once-great organization. Steinbrenner says, "Hire this man."
Developing the secondary

Thus extraverted intuition--truly diving into the unknown, taking a calculated risk to see where it leads--is actually the solution to George's social problems, not extraverted feeling. George doesn't make a better place for himself in the world by sucking up to people or trying to follow conventional etiquette when his heart is not in it. He finds completely unexpected, unanticipatable opportunities to connect with people by trying bold, outlandish things that play to his strengths--and do not have certain outcomes. Unbeknownst to him, his previous life of curiosity, failure, analysis, even neurosis, has created capacities that he can draw upon when he pounces on an opportunity and takes a risk. Unlike in his previous introverted world, he has consciously accepted that he's not in control, that the social arena is bigger than he is, and he's dealing with it anyway.

Okay, now reverse it:

"No one has to like me. Logically, there are reasons why no one should or does like me."
--inferior Ti

What makes one lean on this mindset in the first place? How would one jump to this unhealthy view of Ti? When the ego can't locate the truth of this world view:

"The relationships of friend-friend, parent-child, husband-wife, teacher-student, teammate-teammate, leader-follower, and many others are all ultimately defined by and exist in the medium of gestures exchanged between people--gestures that they recognize as defining that relationship."
--Fe

When the Fe ego is under pressure, it will first appeal to its tertiary helper: Se.

Tertiary Se (ENxJ): "I'll physically intimidate him. I'll brandish a little power and he'll get back in line. Beneath all our refinement, people are just animals, and let me tell you, this animal will not be denied. I'll go with my gut instinct here. You can't know everything in advance, you have to trust your gut in each moment. Good thing my gut is trustworthy. A person with lesser character wouldn't be able to trust his luck the way I can." The Secondary Function (Ni) would say: "What is really dangerous here and what's just a paper tiger? What are some options you haven't considered yet only because the current way appears--falsely--to be necessarily so?"

When the ego can't locate the truth of its world view, it will simply take everything "as is". I then take everything literally. The fact that I haven't said anything today, is because I literally have "no one" to talk to. Like George Costanza's poor use of Ne, I dont really "want to" use Ni effectively here. Instead I use it poorly, to back up my Fe-Se axis: "The deeper meaning is that people have a sinister dislike for me. No one sat next to me, its because there is a deeper dislike of me". The conspiracy thus re-enforces what my Se tertiary temptation was feeding the ego: "factually, there simply is no one here, right here and now".

Thus the Fe inadequacy of the situation deepens, and the Se help is justified continually by warped and untrusted parent Ni. The appeal of a Ti understanding of the social world thus becomes lower and lower hanging fruit, "No one has to like me".

So if this is the operational definition ^^^
Then it could explain what we all plainly observe:
1. I worry about Fe, a lot
2. I default to Se, but reluctantly (im clearly not Se-dom)
3. I use Ni
4. I have some aspirational Ti
5. I have some Fi

I will only address 1, 2 and 5 (the others have been addressed before).

1. I worry about Fe, a lot
As a young kid (pre-middle school), I had some issues learning to talk. I could not express myself or connect as I wanted to. I would either cope through force, or climb into my head (imagination). I think I never really learned how to properly operate Fe, though its still at the front of my concerns. I think this is what separates me from ESTP or ISTP (they just dont seem to care).

2. I default to Se, but reluctantly (im clearly not Se-dom)

I do not "like" Se. I hate most typical Se activities. What I do like, is self expression, which can be Se. This sounds much more like tertiary than primary Se. Secondly, as a child, I often resorted to 'violence' (when ur little, its not as 'brutal' as the word 'violence' seems to represent) when my primary mode began to fail me (ive been a nice guy since then :blush:).

5. I have some Fi

http://www.typologycentral.com/forums/online-personality-tests/14022-functions-analysis-what-s-my-mbti-type.html
At a glance, the ENFJs tended to have rather equal Fi/Fe (and the INFPs also sometimes had rather equal Fi/Fe). Its only a self report inventory, but its worth noting that even the "strong identifiers", seem to overlap.

------------------------------------
So this "messed up ENFJ" functional analysis would leave me as someone who:

• appears Se > Ti when there is little faith in Fe, (I have been told by a close friend that people who don't talk to me, get the ESTP frat boy impression).
  • runs on the Fe-Se axis when carefree attention whoring (think ventrilo).
  • probably runs best when Fe-Se is broken with some well adjusted Ni.
  • is happiest when Fe works like it should
  • gets stuck in a conspiracy theory loop of Ni-Se-Ti when over analyzing
  • can simmer with weak Fi and outward guilt, justified by unhealthy Ti, like any EXFJ can

Now, there might be a simpler theory than all of this. It would be the exact opposite:

Tertiary Ni (ISxP): "I can't possibly go along with this, 'cuz it's all a lie. It's all a set-up by the Man. I'd just be serving his interests and not my own. I'm not gonna be suckered by all this self-serving bull. No way, man, I gotta go my own way." Or "Why should I imitate the cool people? Despite their shiny clothes and social connections, they are still as vulnerable as anyone else." The Secondary Function (Se) would say: "This thing's bigger than you. Better just go with the flow, do what you can, trust your instincts to deal with what's right here and now."

...I like my theory better. I posted earlier about my ISTP father. I love him, but I just don't see myself as ISTP.

VagrantFarce

I guess you're an ENFJ then. :D I never looked at Inferior Ti that way before, I wonder if it's the same with other ENFJs (and I wonder how it effectively differs from tertiary Ti, I suppose something along the lines of "this is not how this relationship should conduct itself!").

JustHer

Pumpernickel
MBTI Type
ENTJ
WTF if you come to the conclusion that you're an ENFJ I'm going to kill you for not listening to me say that you were an ENFJ about 32425435342 posts ago before you started doubting your type.

Venom

Babylon Candle
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
1w9
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I guess you're an ENFJ then. :D I never looked at Inferior Ti that way before, I wonder if it's the same with other ENFJs (and I wonder how it effectively differs from tertiary Ti, I suppose something along the lines of "this is not how this relationship should conduct itself!").

I my "Logically, no one has to like me", is sometimes experienced by others as "ENFJs like people so much, that when they hit that dark spot, they really dont like people".

WTF if you come to the conclusion that you're an ENFJ I'm going to kill you for not listening to me say that you were an ENFJ about 32425435342 posts ago before you started doubting your type.

JJ = :steam:
BC = :devil: :D :yes: :blush:

Ruthie

MBTI Type
?
I'm completely open to your analysis. You are extremely knowledgable and helpful to others. I originally tested INFJ the first few times I took an MBTI test, but after I learned more about it, I think I was answering the questions according to what I thought I "should" say than the truth. What I admit as being closer to the truth about me garners the results of INFP and ENFP usually.

People always tell me that I use a great deal of Fi on here, but maybe they're led by the fact that NFP is on my profile.

I will say that when I take "functions" tests my Ni and Ne are almost identical, but my Fi is higher than my Fe. I also feel a fairly strong resonance with some aspects of Si, but I'm not detail oriented enough to be an SJ.

marmalade, marmalade, marmalade... "detail-oriented" is not a pre-requisite for SJ... If it were, there's no way I'd make the cut.

That said, I also wouldn't read too much into that weird time-travely thing. It makes it sound like all NPs live their life on acid.

Also, if you do start a separate thread, count me in to play along. You'd make an interesting guinea pig.

G

Glycerine

well, you don't seem like most EXTJs I know... you have a softer edge to you. ENFX for you. EXTJs come off very hard ass and cut the bullshit to me which I don't sense from you. Jaguar seems to be the perfect example of an ENTJ to me.

Venom

Babylon Candle
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
1w9
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
well, you don't seem like most EXTJs I know... you have a softer edge to you. ENFX. EXTJs come off very hard ass and cut the bullshit to me which I don't sense from you. Jaguar seems to be the perfect example of an ENTJ to me.

I appreciate the feedback from actual ENFJs (btw, why haven't you been on vent Pitseleh?) I would really like it if people gave me some feedback on my crazy function development theory on this page ^^^