• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

A Quick Guide To Double-Checking Your Type

highlander

Administrator
Staff member
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
6w5
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Could you send me a link that unpacks your counterpoint to this discussion, or briefly explain why you do not have a great deal of faith in Temperaments?
I like the Kiersey book and especially on the leadership styles of the different types but as far as discerning type goes, I don't have a lot of faith in temperaments as a way of testing or determining it. The reason I feel that way is the test on the site originally used Temperament to identify type and what I found from the data of people taking the test is that temperament was an extremely unreliable indicator of someone's type. I ended up ripping out all of the logic for temperament and used cognitive functions and dichotomies instead. In a more recent analysis, the data shows that actually dichotomies are a better way of testing type than cognitive functions. I haven't fully addressed that yet.

Paisley

Strolling Through The Shire
MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
5w4
I like the Kiersey book and especially on the leadership styles of the different types but as far as discerning type goes, I don't have a lot of faith in temperaments as a way of testing or determining it. The reason I feel that way is the test on the site originally used Temperament to identify type and what I found from the data of people taking the test is that temperament was an extremely unreliable indicator of someone's type. I ended up ripping out all of the logic for temperament and used cognitive functions and dichotomies instead. In a more recent analysis, the data shows that actually dichotomies are a better way of testing type than cognitive functions. I haven't fully addressed that yet.
Typing by Temperament is like putting the horse before the cart. Got it. The cognitive function (Ni, Ne, Ti, Te, etc) and/or dichotomy (I/E, N/S, T/F, J/P), produces a temperament (Rational, Idealist, Guardian, Artisan), and that temperament requires discernment as to it's cause, and could almost be any type I'm thinking. I was having a discussion about Martin Luther King Jr., and the suggestion was that he's an ENTJ, the bold leader type, (probably 8w9), and it makes sense, even though everyone who uses temperament to type, puts him in the idealist camp as some ENFJ, INFJ, ENFP, when he might very likely be a highly idealistic ENTJ rational, that just uses NF ideals to lead.

Am I on the right track?

highlander

Administrator
Staff member
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
6w5
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Horse before the cart. Got it. The cognitive function (Ni, Ne, Ti, Te, etc) and/or dichotomy (I/E, N/S, T/F, J/P), produces a temperament (Rational, Idealist, Guardian, Artisan), and that temperament requires discernment as to it's cause, and could almost be any type I'm thinking. I was having a discussion about Martin Luther King Jr., and the suggestion was that he's an ENTJ, the bold leader type, (probably 8w9), and it makes sense, even though everyone who uses temperament to type, puts him in the idealist camp as some ENFJ, INFJ, ENFP, when he might very likely be a highly idealistic ENTJ rational, that just uses NF ideals to lead.

Am I on the right track?
I think that temperament might be slightly different than Myers-Briggs. I got a book on presidential temperaments and noticed that some of the types seemed incorrect and chalk it up to this difference. The descriptions in Please Understand Me 2 are decent but what I know for sure is temperament isn't a good way for testing myers-briggs type.

Paisley

MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
5w4
I think that temperament might be slightly different than Myers-Briggs. I got a book on presidential temperaments and noticed that some of the types seemed incorrect and chalk it up to this difference. The descriptions in Please Understand Me 2 are decent but what I know for sure is temperament isn't a good way for testing myers-briggs type.
What is a good way for testing myers-briggs type?

Paisley

MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
5w4
@Paisley, I agree with this.
Lolz, so this official test from MBTI that costs $50? :ROFLMAO:

Would anyone be willing to give some basic examples of official MBTI test questions, other than, "Are you an introvert or an extrovert?" etc, and how those questions are any different than any other MBTI test? Or are they just the same, and I'm over thinking this?

highlander

Administrator
Staff member
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
6w5
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Lolz, so this official test from MBTI that costs $50? :ROFLMAO:

Would anyone be willing to give some basic examples of official MBTI test questions, other than, "Are you an introvert or an extrovert?" etc, and how those questions are any different than any other MBTI test? Or are they just the same, and I'm over thinking this?
The forum test is working this way now except tor the p/j dimension