• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Has anoyone had someone else take the test for them?

Grace

MBTI Type
INTJ
In one of my Psychology classes yesterday we were talking about how friends are better predictors of someone's behavior than the actual person is. This made me wonder if someone else taking the MBTI for me would come up with different (more accurate) results. I want to ask my boyfriend to do it but have been putting it off because I know he will grumble and make a fuss about it since he has already taken a bajillion personality tests at my request. Has anyone had a close friend/family member/S.O. take the test with you in mind? If yes, were the results different and how? Were they more accurate?

teslashock

Geolectric
MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
7w6
I have a friend that I typed as ENFJ, but he took the test for himself, and it ended up resulting in ENTJ. I was like, "Hell no you are not ENTJ. There's just no way; you are too nice." He had his girlfriend of 2 years retake the test on his behalf, and it ended up resulting in ENFJ. I think I win.

Wonkavision

Retired Member
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
7w8
In one of my Psychology classes yesterday we were talking about how friends are better predictors of someone's behavior than the actual person is. This made me wonder if someone else taking the MBTI for me would come up with different (more accurate) results. I want to ask my boyfriend to do it but have been putting it off because I know he will grumble and make a fuss about it since he has already taken a bajillion personality tests at my request. Has anyone had a close friend/family member/S.O. take the test with you in mind? If yes, were the results different and how? Were they more accurate?

Friends might be able to predict one's BEHAVIOR better than oneself, but I doubt they'd know one's PREFERENCES better than oneself.

The Meyers-Briggs Type Indicator asks you what your preferences are, not what your behaviors are.

Or, as Wikipedia puts it:

The Myers-Briggs Type Indicator (MBTI) assessment is a psychometric questionnaire designed to measure psychological preferences in how people perceive the world and make decisions.

I don't see how someone else could understand how you perceive the world and make decisions better than you.

There is, however, a test in which you compare your self-assessment with someone else's assessment of you.

(It's not Johari/Nohari, by the way. It's something else.)

I'll see if I can dig up a link.....

teslashock

Geolectric
MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
7w6
Friends might be able to predict one's BEHAVIOR better than oneself, but I doubt they'd know one's PREFERENCES better than oneself.

The Meyers Briggs Type Indicator asks you what your preferences are, not what your behaviors are.

So, no, I don't think someone else taking the MBTI for you would work.

I think it's possible to relate to and confide in somebody so deeply that they understand your preferences better than even you, but maybe that's just the romantic in me.

Anywho, relying on one's ability to be honest about his/herself is kind of asking a lot. It's hard for people to be objective about their own values; they may think they value X because they want to be that type of person that values X, but all of their actions and tendencies and thought processes don't actually match up with their impressions of themselves. A person's views on who he/she actually is can be clouded by what he/she wants to be.

cascadeco

MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
9w1
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
To the OP, I think it could be potentially more valuable - in terms of determining the extroverted function without personal prejudice/inability to be completely objective, which is what teslashock was referring to.

So an outsider would very likely be better at determining whether you are an INTJ or an INFJ, because they would have experienced firsthand either the Fe or the Te preference (and I would argue in this sense - the external function - mbti CAN be and is behavioral - as ones preferences will obviously influence the resulting behaviors, and anything extroverted is going to have a behavioral component, even if that behavior is only the method of communication/delivery)

The outsider, however, would NOT be in as good a position to determine whether you are an ISTJ vs. INTJ, or ENTP vs. ENFP, because they can't 'see' the Ni/Si or Ti/Fi inner workings (but honestly I don't think it would be that difficult for the outsider to be able to account for these either, because close friends would know you pretty darn well - and agree with teslashock, maybe in some ways better than you know yourself: at least when it comes to being able to throw your general preferences into one of 16 possibilities.)

Charmed Justice

Nickle Iron Silicone
MBTI Type
INFJ
Has anyone had a close friend/family member/S.O. take the test with you in mind? If yes, were the results different and how? Were they more accurate?
I've had 20 friends take the test for me, the Big 5 as well. They consistently come up with ENTP, ENFJ, and ENTJ, but mostly ENTP.

teslashock

Geolectric
MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
7w6
To the OP, I think it could be potentially more valuable - in terms of determining the extroverted function without personal prejudice/inability to be completely objective, which is what teslashock was referring to.

So an outsider would very likely be better at determining whether you are an INTJ or an INFJ, because they would have experienced firsthand either the Fe or the Te preference (and I would argue in this sense - the external function - mbti CAN be and is behavioral - as ones preferences will obviously influence the resulting behaviors, and anything extroverted is going to have a behavioral component, even if that behavior is only the method of communication/delivery)

The outsider, however, would NOT be in as good a position to determine whether you are an ISTJ vs. INTJ, or ENTP vs. ENFP, because they can't 'see' the Ni/Si or Ti/Fi inner workings (but honestly I don't think it would be that difficult for the outsider to be able to account for these either, because close friends would know you pretty darn well - and agree with teslashock, maybe in some ways better than you know yourself: at least when it comes to being able to throw your general preferences into one of 16 possibilities.)

Very good. I'll agree with that.

incubustribute

MBTI Type
ISFJ

I imagine this is possible with extroverts. Because everything's on the table, it's very easy for anyone to look down and sort through the mess. With introverts, however, you had better hope that the person taking the test for you knows all your deep dark little secrets. Especially with functions like Ni. They may think they know what's going on in there, but realistically the calm surface of the water tends not to be a very good indicator of the depth underneath ;)

Thalassa

Permabanned
MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sx
I think it's a good idea, especially if they know something about MBTI. You could at least compare and discuss.

Wonkavision

Retired Member
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
7w8
Here is a typical MBTI questionairre:

1.You are almost never late for your appointments
YES NO

2.You like to be engaged in an active and fast-paced job
YES NO

3.You enjoy having a wide circle of acquaintances
YES NO

4.You feel involved when watching TV soaps
YES NO

5.You are usually the first to react to a sudden event:
the telephone ringing or unexpected question
YES NO

6.You are more interested in a general idea than in the details of its realization
YES NO

7.You tend to be unbiased even if this might endanger
your good relations with people
YES NO

8.Strict observance of the established rules is likely to prevent a good outcome
YES NO

9.It's difficult to get you excited
YES NO

10.It is in your nature to assume responsibility
YES NO

11.You often think about humankind and its destiny
YES NO

12.You believe the best decision is one that can be easily changed
YES NO

13.Objective criticism is always useful in any activity
YES NO

14.You prefer to act immediately rather than speculate
about various options
YES NO

15.You trust reason rather than feelings
YES NO

16.You are inclined to rely more on improvisation
than on careful planning
YES NO

17.You spend your leisure time actively socializing
with a group of people, attending parties, shopping, etc.
YES NO

18.You usually plan your actions in advance
YES NO

19.Your actions are frequently influenced by emotions
YES NO

20.You are a person somewhat reserved and distant in communication
YES NO

21.You know how to put every minute of your
time to good purpose
YES NO

22.You readily help people while asking nothing in return
YES NO

23.You often contemplate about the complexity of life
YES NO

24.After prolonged socializing you feel you need
to get away and be alone
YES NO

25.You often do jobs in a hurry
YES NO

26.You easily see the general principle behind
specific occurrences
YES NO

27.You frequently and easily express your feelings and emotions
YES NO

28.You find it difficult to speak loudly
YES NO

29.You get bored if you have to read theoretical books
YES NO

30.You tend to sympathize with other people
YES NO

31.You value justice higher than mercy
YES NO

32.You rapidly get involved in social life
at a new workplace
YES NO

33.The more people with whom you speak, the better you feel
YES NO

34.You tend to rely on your experience rather than
on theoretical alternatives
YES NO

35.You like to keep a check on how things
are progressing
YES NO

36.You easily empathize with the concerns of other people
YES NO

37.Often you prefer to read a book than go to a party
YES NO

38.You enjoy being at the center of events in which
other people are directly involved
YES NO

39.You are more inclined to experiment than
to follow familiar approaches
YES NO

40.You avoid being bound by obligations
YES NO

41.You are strongly touched by the stories about people's troubles
YES NO

42.Deadlines seem to you to be of relative, rather than absolute, importance
YES NO

43.You prefer to isolate yourself from outside noises
YES NO

44.It's essential for you to try things with your own hands
YES NO

45.You think that almost everything can be analyzed
YES NO

46.You do your best to complete a task on time
YES NO

47.You take pleasure in putting things in order
YES NO

48.You feel at ease in a crowd
YES NO

49.You have good control over your desires and temptations
YES NO

50.You easily understand new theoretical principles
YES NO

51.The process of searching for solution is more
important to you than the solution itself
YES NO

52.You usually place yourself nearer to the side
than in the center of the room
YES NO

53.When solving a problem you would rather follow
a familiar approach than seek a new one
YES NO

54.You try to stand firmly by your principles
YES NO

55.A thirst for adventure is close to your heart
YES NO

56.You prefer meeting in small groups to interaction
with lots of people
YES NO

57.When considering a situation you pay more attention to
the current situation and less to a possible sequence of events
YES NO

58.You consider the scientific approach to be the best
YES NO

59.You find it difficult to talk about your feelings
YES NO

60.You often spend time thinking of how things
could be improved
YES NO

61.Your decisions are based more on the feelings
of a moment than on the careful planning
YES NO

62.You prefer to spend your leisure time alone
or relaxing in a tranquil family atmosphere
YES NO

63.You feel more comfortable sticking to
conventional ways
YES NO

64.You are easily affected by strong emotions
YES NO

65.You are always looking for opportunities
YES NO

66.Your desk, workbench etc. is usually neat and orderly
YES NO

67.As a rule, current preoccupations worry
you more than your future plans
YES NO

68.You get pleasure from solitary walks
YES NO

69.It is easy for you to communicate in social situations
YES NO

70.You are consistent in your habits
YES NO

71.You willingly involve yourself in matters
which engage your sympathies
YES NO

72.You easily perceive various ways
in which events could develop
YES NO

WHY ON EARTH would SOMEONE ELSE be able to answer these questions FOR YOU---and MORE ACCURATELY than YOU? :shock:

Yikes!

I'm totally creeped out.

teslashock

Geolectric
MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
7w6
WHY ON EARTH would SOMEONE ELSE be able to answer these questions FOR YOU---and MORE ACCURATELY than YOU? :shock:

Yikes!

I'm totally creeped out.

Is it really that hard to fathom that other people might have a different and more accurate perception of you? Where is your Ne, dude?

Grace

MBTI Type
INTJ
Yeah, I definitely think that it is easy to think you have one preference over another but really it is only the preference the ideal you would have. Your friends and loved ones might be able to see how your behaviors could indicate your actual preferences.

Xenon

(blankpages)
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
Is it really that hard to fathom that other people might have a different and more accurate perception of you? Where is your Ne, dude?

Different, sure. More accurate, not really. Some of these questions are about behaviour, but others describe what you feel, what you enjoy, what you think and what you perceive. I look at those and I think, how on Earth could others know that better than me?

It likely depends on the person. I tend to be both very introspective and very reserved, so I have a damn hard time imagining that someone else might know me better than I know myself. For someone who spends less time reflecting on themselves and more time speaking out and acting out, it might be the opposite. Who knows.

Yeah, I definitely think that it is easy to think you have one preference over another but really it is only the preference the ideal you would have. Your friends and loved ones might be able to see how your behaviors could indicate your actual preferences.

Eh...people definitely do have ideal self-images that can influence how they test. I can see that. I don't think that loved ones are necessarily more objective though. People do often have idealized images of their lovers, children, and others who are very close to them.

All that said, I am starting to get curious about how others see me, and I'm now seriously thinking of asking someone to take the test for me. If they get a different result, I wouldn't automatically give that more weight than my own self-perception though. I would want to see if there are any differences, and try to explain them.

Grace

MBTI Type
INTJ
D

All that said, I am starting to get curious about how others see me, and I'm now seriously thinking of asking someone to take the test for me. If they get a different result, I wouldn't automatically give that more weight than my own self-perception though. I would want to see if there are any differences, and try to explain them.

That's pretty much how I feel too. I am fairly confident that I should be an INFJ but I am interested to see what my loved ones think so I can compare and contrast.

Grace

MBTI Type
INTJ
I like to get my vag pounded without mercy by my entp

*edit*
That was my ENTP boyfriend who wrote that while I left my computer unattended to play a round of Soul Kaliber. Sorry everyone.

Wonkavision

Retired Member
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
7w8

That isn't the issue.

My question is how can someone else know your PREFERENCES better than you?

BlahBlahNounBlah

MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
7w6
I like to get my vag pounded without mercy by my entp

*edit*
That was my ENTP boyfriend who wrote that while I left my computer unattended to play a round of Soul Kaliber. Sorry everyone.

:rofl1:

BlueScreen

Fail 2.0
MBTI Type
YMCA
I think family and people who have known you closely over a very long time would have a chance.

I still think in my case, personal would be the best option. I think other ENFPs can be quite adaptable in situations and keep quite private on the defining features also. If someone knew the general behaviours of ENFPs, they could get it instinctively (I'm obviously Ne and a people person IRL), but I doubt most of my friends would have a clue what I'd answer on the test. I know on the facebook how well do you know me quiz, 33% was the best anyone got for knowing my choices on things.

teslashock

Geolectric
MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
7w6
That isn't the issue.

My question is how can someone else know your PREFERENCES better than you?

Your internal values/beliefs/preferences, sure no one can tell you what those are. But your preferences that are manifested externally, that's another story entirely. You don't get an objective view of yourself from the outside the way many of the people with which you interact do.

Here's a long-winded example (no pun intended):
Let's say that you are the kind of person that is easily influenced by your environment and peers. You happen to make friends with a lot of people who are into skydiving (not because they are into skydiving; it's just happenstance), so you become of the opinion that skydiving is cool and hip and in order for one to be "cool", one must enjoy skydiving. You are going to tell yourself that you like skydiving, and you will probably force yourself to do it, since all your friends do it too; it's your way of fitting in. So, in a test that asks "Do you like skydiving?", you'd probably convince yourself that the answer is yes, and fill in the bubble accordingly. However, your friends see that it scares the living daylight out of you everytime you are standing in the doorway of that plane, and when you are outside of this social context, you never take it upon yourself to pursue your "hobby." You really don't enjoy skydiving; you've just managed to convince yourself of this due to peer-pressure related circumstances. Your skydiving friends and your other friends outside of the SP skydiving circle realize this because they view your actions objectively; they see that you get the sweats everytime you are in the plane, and they see that you never actually initiate skydiving endeavors. Your other non-skydiving friends realize that if given the choice, you'd rather be doing something on the ground, and they've never heard you convincingly talk about the thrill you get from skydiving. Therefore, in this situation, I'm of the opinion (and you may argue with me on this) that your friends would be better suited to more accurately answer the sky-diving question on a test. Now, I know that these type tests don't typically ask "Do you enjoy skydiving?", but they do ask many other tangible, external, behavioral questions that point to certain internal preferences, and many people will answer wrongly on these tests because they have essentially convinced themselves of a lie. In this instance, admitting that you enjoy skydiving points to a strong Se function, but really it's a manifestation of wanting to have a sense of social cohesion, or Fe.

Now, I know that you are reportedly an Ne-dom guy, so you don't really understand what it's like to be under the influence of social pressures. You value your own personal, unique forms of expression, and fitting in is not of high importance to you, so you are probably a bit more capable of being honest with yourself. However, not all people are of this philosophy, and many will indeed answer inaccurately in self-report because they don't have this sense of self-validation.

I actually read about a psychological study that is highly related to this topic. I'll see if I can find a link to it.