• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Can INFPs have high IQs?

Snuggletron

Reptilian
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
I've seen a couple things on MBTI and IQ/SAT scores that showed some correlations, and T/F definitely didn't have the strongest difference, Ts were just a little more likely to score higher. I think INXXs in general are most likely to have high IQ scores. It's mostly about N, because the IQ test favors the ability to think abstractly when it measures intelligence.

I don't like this. Most of the IQ tests I've seen measure only a couple types of skills, like mathematics or predicting patterns (which uses N). I always felt that is why the sensors get boned out of having high IQs sometimes. And if that is the case, IQ isn't valid to indicate general intelligence or even worth a sidewards glance because it's missing a lot of skill testing and only applies to a few things we deem as important enough to test and measure intelligence for.

Xenon

(blankpages)
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
Ah, so you were the INFP, not "a friend" of yours. :rofl1:. I had a feeling. You aren't the first male to be a bit troubled by that result.

Really, well-adjusted INFPs can be amazing people. I used to have some contact with a male INFP, who coincidentally was named Tom. Wonderful guy. (I know you aren't him though, since he wouldn't have asked such a question. :D)

B

brainheart

I don't like this. Most of the IQ tests I've seen measure only a couple types of skills, like mathematics or predicting patterns (which uses N). I always felt that is why the sensors get boned out of having high IQs sometimes. And if that is the case, IQ isn't valid to indicate general intelligence or even worth a sidewards glance because it's missing a lot of skill testing and only applies to a few things we deem as important enough to test and measure intelligence for.

Yeah, it can be stupid. But I think they are working on that, aren't they? I know I took one recently that had a lot more visual-spatial memorization stuff that I'd never seen before and I suu-uuucked at it.

But then again, I'm an INFP so I'm really fucking stupid. :cry:

B

brainheart

Tom, I hope you know I'm kidding. If you want the truth, I was an Honors student, got academic scholarships, etc. So yes, you could be an INFP, even if you are a nerdy brainiac. Actually, I would say especially if you are a nerdy brainiac.

Little Linguist

Striving for balance
MBTI Type
xNFP
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
Well, damn, any type can have a high IQ...

If you're asking the frequency of types with regard to IQ...well, I think other people have provided ample data.

DiscoBiscuit

Meat Tornado
Enneagram
8w9
The only true wisdom is in knowing you know nothing. :)

Truf.

In confronting the fact that we don't know everything, we are forced to face our own weaknesses.

It's only by knowing how weak we are that we can truly be strong.

Little Linguist

Striving for balance
MBTI Type
xNFP
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
Well, I don't think IQ has anything to do with ignorance or wisdom directly, at best only indirectly....

ajblaise

Minister of Propagandhi
MBTI Type
INTP

What more sensor-friendly aspects of intelligence do you think the IQ test misses out on exactly?

B

brainheart

the only thing the gifted kids get is more work. :)

Or coddled because you're supposedly brilliant. And then after succeeding like mad in school you have no idea how to do anything in the 'real' world, like get a job. So you spend your days reading and researching, jobless, because that's what you know how to do, not to mention what you love.

That's what I've heard, anyway. ;)

Blackmail!

Gotta catch you all!
MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
7w8
Can INFPs have high IQs?

---

Well, it does matter only if their Fi judges that IQ tests are a relevant question.

As a matter of fact, I'va always wondered why people find IQ tests to be so interesting, besides the fact they only exist to determine our ability to succeed in... IQ tests. It's a somewhat autotelic-redundant activity...

OrangeAppled

Sugar Hiccup
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
As others have said, any type can have a high IQ. I'm wonder what the intention behind the OP is. :huh: I was labeled gifted while in elementary school. I know I had to take an IQ test but I have no idea what my score was.

Yeah, I took the test and was in the "gifted and talented" program in school also (GATE). They didn't tell us our scores either. The program was a joke though....we just got out of regular class half after lunch and goofed off on ridiculous projects mean to "challenge" us. :D

My ESFP sister did well on an IQ Test (professionally administered...I think she was around 135 or so), but I agree that it's N biased. It tests only a certain kind of intelligence.

Really, well-adjusted INFPs can be amazing people.

Yeah, but I have a feeling it's the screwed up INFPs who make the cool art and music :tongue:

the only thing the gifted kids get is more work. :)

Well, in that gifted program I was put in, we did less work. We just goofed off. In high school I had a few advanced classes in which there were so few of us we basically had "independent study" and got to create our own assignments :shock:, which usually meant we just did stuff like break into the janitor's closet and hang out on the roof. Honestly, it teaches you to be LAZY. You don't have to try hard to achieve....

BlackCat

Shaman
MBTI Type
ESFP
Enneagram
9w8
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
No, they can't be. A 4 letter code definitely says how intelligent someone is.