• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

INFJ or INTJ? Future major in mind...

EmmaK

MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
5w6
Hello all!

My name's Emma, and I'm fairly new to personality types! I've taken several tests online, and seem to be INFJ every time! The descriptions are very accurate! I started off with mypersonality.info like a month ago, and got INFJ. Now, while googling, I wanted to test my type again. I logged in to my account on mypersonality.info, took the test, and got INTJ! This description doesn't seem to be quite as accurate, but still seems to describe me very well. I'm almost positive that the INxJ is correct... but now I'm doubting that third letter, especially since I don't usually feel as intuitive as the INFJ personality describes. :/ SO I guess I'll write a little bit about me!

First off, I'm an IB student, and I LOVE to learn! I guess you could call me "smart". 4.0 GPA, etc.

I feel that I don't have many "talents", but I'm the ideal student. I like to please my teachers.

Reading is my passion! I could LIVE in a library.

Social situations stress me out, and I prefer to read a book in solitude any day!

I often question other people's personalities and how they choose to live their life/make decisions. I can't see why everyone doesn't think the way I do!

I'm agnostic, and have never been religious. I don't understand religion, and I see no need for it.

I'm very indecisive, but when I do make a decision, I try to stick by it. I think this comes from my Gemini horoscope.

I get stressed very easily, and seem to worry about things that wouldn't worry other people.

I like new theories and ideas, revolutionary thoughts. But I'm also traditional in the sense that I can't stand smoking, alcohol, and bad behavior of some youth today.

The future is the most important thing to me... sometimes I get too caught up with it and forget about the present. :(

So... I'm not sure what else to write, but I'm open to sharing more! I was very proud of being an INFJ, the "rarest" type... but now I'm questioning it!

I'm graduating this spring, and hopefully going to university in Scotland! I'm taking an IB psychology class, and I've fallen in love with the subject... I definitely want to major in something related to it. BUT... this is where I get stuck! I really don't know if I see myself more as being a psychologist/social worker type or the neurologist/neuropsychologist/psychiatrist/medicine type! And I thought that I could do some introspection to figure this out. :)

Any opinions would be appreciated! I love to write and communicate by writing so this is my version of "relaxing me-time"! Thanks in advance!!!

EmmaK.

BlackCat

Shaman
MBTI Type
ESFP
Enneagram
9w8
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I don't really see a clear indication of T vs F. Don't let a personality type theory determine whether you major in something or not, since the letters don't change who you are either way.

I would suggest checking out the INTJ and INFJ on a team sections here, and the INTJ and INFJ profiles on this site as well- Best-Fit Type : Exploring the Multiple Models of Personality Type

Also, which of these fits you better?

Segmenting; organizing for efficiency; systematizing; applying logic; structuring; checking for consequences; monitoring for standards or specifications being met; setting boundaries, guidelines, and parameters; deciding if something is working or not. Sorting out different colors and styles; thinking about the consequences, as in “Since I have to stand all day…”

Or...

Connecting; considering others and the group—organizing to meet their needs and honor their values and feelings; maintaining societal, organizational, or group values; adjusting to and accommodating others; deciding if something is appropriate or acceptable to others. Considering what would be appropriate for the situation: “One should or shouldn’t wear…” or “People will think…”

EmmaK

MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
5w6
The first quote definitely defines me better! I had just read the descriptions on bestfittype.com, and I think I associate more with the INFJ. Is that enough to say that I am one?! :D On bestfittype, this part stuck out to me the most, and I could closely associate with it:

Everything revolves around growth. Caring is about the ability to help others grow. What I bring is caring about people, not things. If we spent more time trying to understand each other’s point of view, to communicate more effectively, we would grow.

and also
The quest for more knowledge, the meaning of life, the philosophical questions—my mind is always occupied, and what’s exciting is when I get to follow through with an insight and do something.

The INTJ description seemed too rigid, and I especially didn't agree with:

I won’t do something if I feel I can’t do it well. I prefer trying something, then critique after the fact. I will integrate the experience and never make the same mistakes again.

So I guess at least for now, I feel more like an INFJ! :D

Grace

MBTI Type
INTJ
Hello all!

My name's Emma, and I'm fairly new to personality types! I've taken several tests online, and seem to be INFJ every time! The descriptions are very accurate! I started off with mypersonality.info like a month ago, and got INFJ. Now, while googling, I wanted to test my type again. I logged in to my account on mypersonality.info, took the test, and got INTJ! This description doesn't seem to be quite as accurate, but still seems to describe me very well. I'm almost positive that the INxJ is correct... but now I'm doubting that third letter, especially since I don't usually feel as intuitive as the INFJ personality describes. :/ SO I guess I'll write a little bit about me!

First off, I'm an IB student, and I LOVE to learn! I guess you could call me "smart". 4.0 GPA, etc.

I feel that I don't have many "talents", but I'm the ideal student. I like to please my teachers.

Reading is my passion! I could LIVE in a library.

Social situations stress me out, and I prefer to read a book in solitude any day!

I often question other people's personalities and how they choose to live their life/make decisions. I can't see why everyone doesn't think the way I do!

I'm agnostic, and have never been religious. I don't understand religion, and I see no need for it.

I'm very indecisive, but when I do make a decision, I try to stick by it. I think this comes from my Gemini horoscope.

I get stressed very easily, and seem to worry about things that wouldn't worry other people.

I like new theories and ideas, revolutionary thoughts. But I'm also traditional in the sense that I can't stand smoking, alcohol, and bad behavior of some youth today.

The future is the most important thing to me... sometimes I get too caught up with it and forget about the present. :(

So... I'm not sure what else to write, but I'm open to sharing more! I was very proud of being an INFJ, the "rarest" type... but now I'm questioning it!

I'm graduating this spring, and hopefully going to university in Scotland! I'm taking an IB psychology class, and I've fallen in love with the subject... I definitely want to major in something related to it. BUT... this is where I get stuck! I really don't know if I see myself more as being a psychologist/social worker type or the neurologist/neuropsychologist/psychiatrist/medicine type! And I thought that I could do some introspection to figure this out. :)

Any opinions would be appreciated! I love to write and communicate by writing so this is my version of "relaxing me-time"! Thanks in advance!!!

EmmaK.

Holy cow, you are pretty much my twin. There is literally not one thing that we diverge on (even down to our signs - Gemini). I am a Psych. major right now, will graduate in the spring with my Bachelor's. I'm planning on getting a Masters in Social Work so that I can be a counselor. I thought about going into Psychiatry but decided it was too much schooling for me. I want to be done with school! If you do not mind the extra school though, I would say go for that. You get paid soooo much more if you earn a medical degree as opposed to a PhD (or Masters) and the number of years it takes to complete each degree is the same (at least in theh United States).

As for your type, I would say you are an INFJ. I have gotten INTJ before as well but overall I just identify more with INFJ personality. I think you have to go by what you personally think is right for you and it sounds like you think you are more like an INFJ.

BlackCat

Shaman
MBTI Type
ESFP
Enneagram
9w8
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
The first quote is for Te, one of the INTJ's functions. But if you agree more with INFJ, then there you go. :)

EmmaK

MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
5w6
Thanks for all the responses!!! Wow... MY TWIN! I've always thought I was so different than everyone else, it's nice to hear that someone else is similar! :D Thanks for the advice about the degrees... I'll certainly take it into consideration. I have heard that medical degree holders earn more, but I still don't know whether I'll enjoy a more scientific psychology degree, or one that's more on the arts side, you know? But thankfully in Scotland I'll get to study more than one thing my freshman year, so I'll have time to figure it out. I'm also applying to a few Ivy League schools in the US, so it's also good to know if I attend university there. :)) Thanks so much!

incubustribute

MBTI Type
ISFJ
Golly, you know, I hate to be the "bearer of different news," but I'm not seeing Ni. I see a very friendly, very introspectively curious ISFJ. You mentioned sticking with decisions when you make them...I don't see this with INFJ, but Si explains it very well. Just remember that only you are the final authority on your own type, but you may want to look into the ISFJ profile and see if it fits.

incubustribute

MBTI Type
ISFJ
Then again, going back and rereading (which I tend to have to do sometimes) you do seem to exhibit N characteristics.

am_i_evil666

You definitely seem more INFJ than INTJ. I can't imagine an INTJ talking to us so enthusiastically....that's just the vibe I'm getting. All the INTJs I know seem_different.

EmmaK

MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
5w6
Oh gosh! I TOTALLY agree! I'm a sucker for metaphors and use them whenever I can! :D That description seems exactly like me, and I don't understand why other people can't understand my "composition" and how to get to know me. I've been with my boyfriend now for almost 4 years, and the example that someone gave on that post about gifting a laptop, but listening and hugging is SO much more important! My significant other doesn't seem to get that yet. He's an ESTP. One of my favorite ways to use metaphors is when I'm arguing. (perhaps with said significant other!) Sometimes the words don't come out in a way that he would understand, so metaphors sometimes help to convey the message. In this case, this particular metaphor is right on the dot with my personality, too!

Rebe

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
4sop
"I'm very indecisive, but when I do make a decision, I try to stick by it. I think this comes from my Gemini horoscope."

INTJs are known for their decisiveness. Once they make up their mind about something, they are going to go through with it, stick by it, no matter what. They push aside their emotions and do what is right, logically and morally.

EmmaK

MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
5w6
Well... I'm HORRIBLY indecisive, like I can't even pick out a table to sit at at a restaurant! And I guess I'm never really satisfied with any choices that I make, but when I DO make a choice, I HAVE to find the positive things about that choice and convince myself that I made the right choice, even though the negatives might be running through my head. Does that make sense?!

Like right now I'm trying to decide which universities to apply to. Once I choose the 5 that I'll apply to, I'll keep convincing myself that I picked great universities... even though I might still be googling the ones that I didn't pick, and also finding good things about them. :p It's like torture, really. But it's how I am! I'll have the same problem now when I start looking for a new laptop... I'll never be able to make a decision cause I'll be convinced that the second I buy my laptop, something newer and better will come along and I'll be a fool. HAHA!