• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Typing hubby who refuses to take MBTI test

FaithBW

MBTI Type
INFP
My DH refuses to take the MBTI so I'll never know for sure what type he is. I've thought of him as an ISTJ and an INTJ but I'm really not sure. I was wondering if the kind members here could help me out:

~He's very good at striking up conversations with people and has no issue talking to random strangers but at the same time he only has two close friends and often spends a lot time alone both at home and at work.

~He reads often, mostly non-fiction about Religion and Politics.

~In some ways, he is very traditional. We're Muslim and he is not very fond of other Muslims that he feels break away from tradition too much (i.e. mixed gender prayers, women being imams, etc.) yet in many ways he is also against blindly following tradition. He has been criticized by other Muslims for having views that go against traditional Muslim scholarship.

~He loves sci-fi and is a fan of Star Trek, Babylon 5, Stargate, etc.

~He's not very affectionate. He hates when I hold his hand in public and often accuses me of being "mushy".

~He's extremely frugal and a much better saver than I am.

~He has a much easier time to seeing two viewpoints than I do. When I get really emotionally invested in an issue, he is usually the one that helps me to see the other sides. He can remain grounded.

~He is much more positive than I am. In fact, he complains that I am too negative sometimes.

JivinJeffJones

MBTI Type
INFP
Could go either way from what you wrote, but looking at your type I'd say the chances are extremely high that he's an ISTJ. The unorthodox views and sci-fi enjoyment gave me slight pause though. Counterbalancing that is my firm and unsubstantiated conviction that an INTJ would've been interested in doing the test.

swordpath

MBTI Type
ISTx
Enneagram
5w6
I agree, it could go either way. Typically, Sci-Fi lovers seem to be N's it seems... From what I've observed, at least.

I'm an ISTJ, but I definitely have no problem going against the grain (referring to the religion bit for your husband, but being applicable to myself in plenty of areas). I've been told I have a decently developed N side though...

BlackCat

Shaman
MBTI Type
ESFP
Enneagram
9w8
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I don't really see a clear indication of S vs N, but I_TJ definitely. Maybe INTJ, seeing things from other perspectives is often related to Ni.

simulatedworld

Freshman Member
MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
7w6
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
First guess INTJ, second guess INFJ. The ability to see numerous perspectives at once is very suggestive of Ni as a dominant function.

By the way, you don't really need him to take an MBTI test. The tests don't really "prove" anything; please don't mistake typology for science (it's actually just philosophy.) The best the test would do is point you in the right direction for studying these ideas and trying to determine which fits him best...try to remember that many, many people get test results that are inconsistent with how they really are because the test only explains how you see yourself, not how you actually are.

That's the problem inherent with self-report evaluations.

FaithBW

MBTI Type
INFP
Thanks for the feedback. The more I reflect, the more I lean towards INTJ. I read the INTJ profile to him and he could relate, especially with being perceived as arrogant (some people have said that he is arrogant although he is not). He saw this thread and decided that since I was curious enough about his type to ask a complete group of strangers about it, that he would take the test. He has yet to take it but we'll see what happens.

B

brainheart

I don't know. My dad's an ISTJ and he seems a lot like him. His beliefs can be unorthodox, the thing is they have to follow his train of thought that they are the 'proper' way. SJs can like sci fi, for sure. In a lot of ways sci fi, especially something like Star Trek, isn't much different than a Western. There are problems that need to be dealt with by the group and the solution is usually pretty traditional and conservative. For that reason I lean toward ISTJ, also because of what JJJ said about him not wanting to take the test.

My dad's plenty arrogant, by the way.

proximo

I'd hazard ISTx, too...

Doesn't matter if he won't take the test. If you learn the functions, you can peg him yourself from what you know of him, and you're in a good position to do that :)

Eric B

ⒺⓉⒷ
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I too see ISTJ's who are heavy into science fiction. Particularly when they are in their prime and later, and Ne develops. They are then fascinated by the ideas of what could be out in space, and that's how they take it. And then it just goes with their Thinking preference in general as well. My father was one like this.

lost verses

MBTI Type
AHH!
First guess INTJ, second guess INFJ. The ability to see numerous perspectives at once is very suggestive of Ni as a dominant function.

No way is he INFJ. Fe would like to hold hands in public, and since he doesn't, he's not Fe. ISTJ or INTJ are my guesses, like everyone else has said.

B

brainheart

~He has a much easier time to seeing two viewpoints than I do. When I get really emotionally invested in an issue, he is usually the one that helps me to see the other sides. He can remain grounded.

~He is much more positive than I am. In fact, he complains that I am too negative sometimes.

Okay, I didn't notice these before. It kind of rules out ISTJ for me, especially if you are an INFP as you say you are. If he were an ISTJ, you would be the one pointing out the other viewpoints and being positive.

Now I think INTJ, if INTJ and ISTJ are the choices.

Economica

Dhampyr
MBTI Type
INTJ
My guess would be ENTP. :yes:

Think about it, people. What would a Muslim ENTP be like?

(FaithBW, what makes you guess IJ?)

Little Linguist

Striving for balance
MBTI Type
xNFP
Instinctual Variant
sx/so

Good point - MBTI is very Western-biased. It does not really take cultural matters into account.

B

brainheart

Yeah, I was thinking something Ne-based, but I was going with her choices and the fact that she's an INFP and sees such a difference with him. Because I am always pointing out the different viewpoints and am typically positive, but she says she isn't. Sure you're an INFP, Faith BW?

Economica

Dhampyr
MBTI Type
INTJ
Yeah, I was thinking something Ne-based, but I was going with her choices and the fact that she's an INFP and sees such a difference with him. Because I am always pointing out the different viewpoints and am typically positive, but she says she isn't. Sure you're an INFP, Faith BW?

Positive/negative isn't so strongly type-related as to be definitive.

Seeing different viewpoints? Not definitive either, but yeah, strong sign of extroverted perception.

Kasper

Diabolical
MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
9w8
Instinctual Variant
so/sx

(FaithBW, what makes you guess IJ?)

The below three points would go against ENTP imo.

~In some ways, he is very traditional.

~He's not very affectionate.

~He's extremely frugal and a much better saver than I am.

I could see any xxTJ though.

FDG

pathwise dependent
MBTI Type
ENTJ
Enneagram
7w8
Looks like an ISTJ imho.