• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Type my uncle - INTP, IxTJ???

OrangeAppled

Sugar Hiccup
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
My uncle puzzles me a bit. My first instinct says INTP, but a few things make me question it and consider INTJ or even ISTJ.

So here we go....

- He's in his 50s, never married, and is extremely picky about the women he dates. He has what I call "Seinfeld syndrome" in that he manages to find something incredibly trivial to write them off with ("her name is weird" :shock: ). Also gets paranoid when my SFJ family members go into hysterics over the idea of him getting married. They start planning the wedding, and he starts thinking of reasons to break it off.

- He took his time in college. Traveled around the world, changed his major several times, and finally settled on becoming a teacher. He also has some minor in something math/science related. He teaches middle school math and science. Parents like him because he's firm with unruly students - he garners a lot of respect.

- He's religious and has pretty conservative values now, but he was mostly apathetic in his 20s towards religion.

- Not family-oriented. Goes months without calling anyone in his family. Seems to see his few close friends somewhat regularly. Lives alone and likes it that way. Is regarded by most as "quiet".

- Good with kids. Used to do funny stuff like dress my sister and me up as pirates when we were kids, just because.

- Sports obsessed, which suggests ISTJ to me. Watches any and all sports, and plays quite a few. My ISTJ grandpa kind of passed this onto him though.

- Likes music a lot. Surprisingly likes a lot of romantic lyrics, especially 80s new wave / alternative (which can be pretty touchy-feely).

- Supposedly wrote a rather romantic poem that won an award, which surprised everyone - not generally seen as a sentimental guy. (Writing poetry makes me want to rule out ISTJ)

- Read an entire set of encyclopedias as a teen - for fun. :shock:

- Let it slip once that he thinks most women are "emotional basket-cases". Doesn't understand why women cry over "everything".

- Loves Monty Python; also Star Wars and Star Trek and other nerdy stuff.

- Is mostly unemotional. Refuses to talk about his father's death, and blocks it out to deal with it. Seems "pleasant" most of the time, although not warm. Can be very grouchy/irritable when he wants to be alone.

- Impatient with slow-moving and slow-thinking people. Can be pretty selfish, especially with food.

- He is very logical and book smart, and has a lot of random knowledge. I've heard him gives speeches, and he seems very conversational and "human" though, and he uses a significant amount of metaphor.

- Says that when solving a math problem, he sees images of numbers in his head and is drawn to the answer. This sounds like some sort of mystical Ni thing, which is why I've considered INTJ.

- My SFJ family members call him a know-it-all behind his back and say he lacks common sense. I think that's very harsh, but then I am an INFP, aaaand...

- My family says I am a lot like him, except I'm more "temperamental", which makes me think he is INTP.

Ruthie

MBTI Type
?
The encyclopedias thing sounds STJish - kinda like Rain Man and his phone book. Really the only thing in this that would make me believe INTP over ISTJ is the love of sci-fi flicks. Hey, there's a reason some stereotypes exist...

Tallulah

Emerging
MBTI Type
INTP
I totally read encyclopedias growing up. I'd start looking something up, and, and then I'd get sidetracked and before I knew it, I'd read most of the volume. It's an intellectual curiosity thing. Don't know why that would be SJ-ish.

Ruthie

MBTI Type
?
I totally read encyclopedias growing up. I'd start looking something up, and, and then I'd get sidetracked and before I knew it, I'd read most of the volume. It's an intellectual curiosity thing. Don't know why that would be SJ-ish.

It's internalizing facts and information. I always pored over encyclopedias, trivial pursuit cards, records books, marketing books filled with demographic information, newspapers, biographies, history books, any kind of books with lists and facts. I've been out of college for over 6 years, and I still buy college guides just to read. I don't have any children, but I own about a dozen baby names books because I love reading about the names. I think being drawn to reference books is very much in keeping with any knowledge-seeking Si-dom.

Like I said, Rain Man with the phone book...

Tallulah

Emerging
MBTI Type
INTP
It's internalizing facts and information. I always pored over encyclopedias, trivial pursuit cards, records books, marketing books filled with demographic information, newspapers, biographies, history books, any kind of books with lists and facts. I've been out of college for over 6 years, and I still buy college guides just to read. I don't have any children, but I own about a dozen baby names books because I love reading about the names. I think being drawn to reference books is very much in keeping with any knowledge-seeking Si-dom.

Like I said, Rain Man with the phone book...

Gotcha.

So basically, what we have so far is two INTPs, an INTJ, and an ISTJ all claiming him because we identify. We are not much help. :smile:

Space_Oddity

MBTI Type
CAT
Instinctual Variant
so
Hmmm... From what you described, the only type I'd rule out is ISTJ. I don't think that reading encyclopedias is limited to a Si dominant type (even though it's true that ISTJs like collecting random knowledge), and neither is obsession with sports (I don't know enough INTPs to comment on them, but I've met quite a few sports-loving INTJs). Most of the things suggest to me an N type (more comfortable in his head). But otherwise, I'm not sure if it's possible to pick either INTP or INTJ from the information you've given; they are mostly personal characteristics, not type characteristics, and they could point to both. I guess you have to decide if he's more Ti Ne or Ni Te; you probably have to find out if his manner of thinking is rather 'free' or 'ordered', if he always sees more 'right' options or only one.

OrangeAppled

Sugar Hiccup
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I don't have any children, but I own about a dozen baby names books because I love reading about the names. I think being drawn to reference books is very much in keeping with any knowledge-seeking Si-dom.

I do that with baby books, and I never plan on having children. It's more of an imaginative thing with me. Considering possibilities for something I'm not even considering :D

I also like to absorb info, but I don't do it systematically. I get lost in a tangent of "research", mainly because my mind springs forward from every new bit of info. I'm not sure how my uncle went about reading the encyclopedia....if it was randomly or in some kind of order.

Gotcha.

So basically, what we have so far is two INTPs, an INTJ, and an ISTJ all claiming him because we identify. We are not much help. :smile:

I'm inclined to write off ISTJ, but I don't for just this reason: I fear I'm assuming N because I relate to him in some ways. Still, my gut says N.

Hmmm... From what you described, the only type I'd rule out is ISTJ. I don't think that reading encyclopedias is limited to a Si dominant type (even though it's true that ISTJs like collecting random knowledge), and neither is obsession with sports (I don't know enough INTPs to comment on them, but I've met quite a few sports-loving INTJs). Most of the things suggest to me an N type (more comfortable in his head). But otherwise, I'm not sure if it's possible to pick either INTP or INTJ from the information you've given; they are mostly personal characteristics, not type characteristics, and they could point to both. I guess you have to decide if he's more Ti Ne or Ni Te; you probably have to find out if his manner of thinking is rather 'free' or 'ordered', if he always sees more 'right' options or only one.

That's what I'm having trouble with. I'm don't see my uncle much anymore (you know, once you're an adult, you see non-immediate family less), so it's hard for me to say Ne over Te. His sense of humor is definitely silly, not sarcastic or ever mean. I usually see Ne as more silly and Te as more caustic....

Ruthie

MBTI Type
?
I do that with baby books, and I never plan on having children. It's more of an imaginative thing with me. Considering possibilities for something I'm not even considering :D

I also like to absorb info, but I don't do it systematically. I get lost in a tangent of "research", mainly because my mind springs forward from every new bit of info. I'm not sure how my uncle went about reading the encyclopedia....if it was randomly or in some kind of order.

I know exactly what you mean. I do the "research tangent" too. It results in some weird stuff sometimes: A few months ago, one thing led to another and I ended up learning about the members of the US Senate from 1959-61. I can't imagine a more useless thing to teach myself, but it just absolutely captivated me for weeks. I even bought a package of index cards and made color-coded flashcards. All just for fun. I guess I've just revealed my inner Si-geekdom. :)

I'm inclined to write off ISTJ, but I don't for just this reason: I fear I'm assuming N because I relate to him in some ways. Still, my gut says N.

He's your uncle - your gut instinct is a whole lot more reliable than any of our guesses or projections.

cascadeco

MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
9w1
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx

Yeah, I'd agree, I think the OP could be describing an INTJ or INTP; don't think it excludes either. (edit: the 'emotional basketcase' comment was funny...I've been known to think the same thing myself :laugh:)

I don't know enough ISTJ's to comment on the likelihood/unlikelihood of that type.

Space_Oddity

MBTI Type
CAT
Instinctual Variant
so

lol, I do this too, totally. I did that especially when I was little and had too much time on my hands :D For instance, I remember I totally loved one picture book about birds; I'd always browse through it and imagined all the beautiful shapes of eggs and wings :D (*weirdo*) I also loved encyclopedias on cats, and to this day I'm a sucker for baby names books, because I use them for characters in my novels.:cool: There's really nothing systematic about it, though.

That's what I'm having trouble with. I'm don't see my uncle much anymore (you know, once you're an adult, you see non-immediate family less), so it's hard for me to say Ne over Te. His sense of humor is definitely silly, not sarcastic or ever mean. I usually see Ne as more silly and Te as more caustic....

Yeah, it's hard to type people who you don't actually see too much. Just by my gut instinct I'd see your uncle more as an INTP as well (it sounds like you're slightly leaning to this option), but it's mostly because some points in your description strongly reminded me of my ex-best friend's father, for whom (curiously enough) I also considered both INTP and ISTJ, but in the end went with INTP because he seemed much more comfortable in his head and pretty much sucked with reality. (His image popped into my mind most prominently when I read the point about "being selfish with food".;) God, that was one annoying characteristic!:doh::D) That man had also pretty amazing knowledge about middle ages (he was a historian of art), so I guess that his Si was very strong indeed, but his primary functions were still Ti and Ne. As for your uncle, you didn't really describe anything that would immediately suggest Te, but the part about how he solves Math problems seemed very Ni indeed, so it's still hard to tell.

VagrantFarce

Have you ever heard him criticize someone else? What does he typically criticize them for?

VagrantFarce

Fun difference between INTPs and INTJs that I read somewhere (paraphrasing):

INTPs recognise that they have emotions but aren't sure of how to deal with them. INTJs aren't even sure they have emotions and tend to treat them with heavy suspicion.

Space_Oddity

MBTI Type
CAT
Instinctual Variant
so

INTPs recognise that they have emotions but aren't sure of how to deal with them. INTJs aren't even sure they have emotions and tend to treat them with heavy suspicion.

That's nonsense... My INTJ mum would always get angry when I (oversensitive teenager) accused her of being insensitive, and later I indeed realized just how stupid it was of me, because she's really deeply emotional under her rough exterior. One of my closest friends is also an INTJ and I really haven't noticed any 'treating emotions with suspicion' on her side either. IxTJs are trying to deal with their emotions through the use of Te, but that doesn't say anything about the actual degree of their emotions.

Considering that the only two INTPs I've known more closely is a girl who is treated with depression and a girl who avoids her emotions to the point of needing professional help, I can't really comment on them, but as much as I enjoy funny MBTI descriptions, this one sounds like crap to me.

Tallulah

Emerging
MBTI Type
INTP
^^^

Yeah, most of the INTJs I've known have been more emotional under the surface than I am by nature. I'm mostly aware of emotions when I'm extremely frustrated (and then it just feels like a giant tangle of stuff I can't separate), or when I've watched or observed something that touches me (as in movies, etc).

OrangeAppled

Sugar Hiccup
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Have you ever heard him criticize someone else? What does he typically criticize them for?

He is rather diplomatic for a T. I think that has to do with his religious beliefs (being compassionate, forgiving, etc) and having the patience required to teach children. He criticizes people for being illogical in their general manner and tends to correct inaccurate information people use. I suppose his criticisms are often less detailed than abstract and generalized, which is why I'm having a hard time thinking of an example. He tends to criticize in a joke manner sometimes, by painting something/someone as ridiculous. As I noted before, he is silly in humor, never biting.

Hmm..I would think tertiary Fi in an INTJ would make them understand their emotions better than inferior Fe in an INTP....? On the other hand, I tend to buy Lenore Thompson's theory, in which case, INTPs would have stronger Fi than an INTJ.

Anyway, I think my uncle has emotions, but he's not very expressive and doesn't deal with them openly. He does not seem "cold" to me though.