• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Is my friend an iNFP? Second opinion anyone?

Thalassa

Permabanned
MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sx
I'm pretty sure your whole personality type doesn't really become evident or conclusive until late teens/early 20's. I could be wrong though, and obviously there's exceptions to this, but what I think happens is that they tend to develop their dominant function, whatever that is, and the rest comes later to balance them out. My sister is 12, and I mean, I can tell you she's got LOTS of Fe, but other than that, not really sure. My brother is 17 and even he's a mystery to me. It's really difficult to tell until the person matures and experiences more of, well, life. Anyway, at that age I would say you might benefit from trying to figure out the dominant, but to go much further is almost like trying to start a little league baseball player out with weight training. It might actually impede their development if they have to worry about stuff like, "Oh jeez, I have a TYPE??!?!" before they're much more self aware.

Feel free to disagree though, this is just my opinion/theory on the matter.

I think that type is mostly formed by high school, maybe off by one letter. I can look back at my teens and see STRONG roots of my adult personality, and those of people whove I've known since then. I'm really not surprised at all by the adult personalities of the vast majority of people I went to high school with. There are maybe one or two who surprised me, and then I can connect that to bad circumstances during their adolescence which were improved as they went out on their own.

PoprocksAndCoke

A Benign Tumor
MBTI Type
ENTP
Yeah, even in middle school I read a lot and definitely lived in kind of a romanticized fantasy world. I'm not saying that all INFPs are necesarily avid readers, but saying that someone in their early teens won't read a book that doesn't have pictures is an awfully strong statement.

It's other things, too, that to me just made her seem like a very young SP...not just the reading part.

Her reading problems are strange to me, a person who was reading Dean Koontz in Kindergarten. Maybe SP, yeah. Now, I think about it, she doesn't seem as J. ISFP, maybe?

incubustribute

MBTI Type
ISFJ
That'd be cool. I would've tried to be a ENTP. They're so awesome.

Haha I agree ENTP's are awesome, UNLESS they're trying to teach a college class. Their Ne takes simple concepts and makes them waaaaay more complicated than they need to be. They also tend to digress...which is ok, but after an hour, you know...a digression becomes confusing. :huh:

incubustribute

MBTI Type
ISFJ
I think that type is mostly formed by high school, maybe off by one letter. I can look back at my teens and see STRONG roots of my adult personality, and those of people whove I've known since then. I'm really not surprised at all by the adult personalities of the vast majority of people I went to high school with. There are maybe one or two who surprised me, and then I can connect that to bad circumstances during their adolescence which were improved as they went out on their own.

Late high school perhaps. It tends to come out more when you're forced into a situation where you HAVE to get something done. All I'm saying is that earlier on in life, most of us didn't learn how to use our supporting functions (auxiliary, and to some extent tertiary) to aid the needs of the primary. So, what often happens is you get a strong dominant without the buffer of the secondary. Like, for instance, Ne without the internal filter of Fi or Ti. Lots of imagination, not a lot of restraint or subtlety. Hell, I see that in a lot of college friends of mine haha.

B

brainheart

Late high school perhaps. It tends to come out more when you're forced into a situation where you HAVE to get something done. All I'm saying is that earlier on in life, most of us didn't learn how to use our supporting functions (auxiliary, and to some extent tertiary) to aid the needs of the primary. So, what often happens is you get a strong dominant without the buffer of the secondary. Like, for instance, Ne without the internal filter of Fi or Ti. Lots of imagination, not a lot of restraint or subtlety. Hell, I see that in a lot of college friends of mine haha.

I've been a full-on INFP since day one, in all honesty. I only started behaving differently the last few years. I think it has to do with that whole tertiary Si business. Anyway...

I agree with most that she sounds like an ISFP, possibly an ESFP because she reminds me a lot of my husband. Does she always want to be doing something/ have a hard time sitting still? I guess I'm having a hard time seeing I vs E in this description. When my husband is down he calls himself stupid and he gets through maybe one book a year. Generally he reads skateboard magazines, which means he looks at the pictures and occasionally reads something. I've wondered about a reading disability with him, too. He slurs his words a lot of the time when he reads aloud to our kids and often falls asleep. But I don't know how much of that is disability and how much of this is dominant Se. If he's not moving or engaged in solving a problem it's like his brain automatically shuts down, like a cat snoozing between the action.

PoprocksAndCoke

A Benign Tumor
MBTI Type
ENTP
I've been a full-on INFP since day one, in all honesty. I only started behaving differently the last few years. I think it has to do with that whole tertiary Si business. Anyway...

I agree with most that she sounds like an ISFP, possibly an ESFP because she reminds me a lot of my husband. Does she always want to be doing something/ have a hard time sitting still? I guess I'm having a hard time seeing I vs E in this description. When my husband is down he calls himself stupid and he gets through maybe one book a year. Generally he reads skateboard magazines, which means he looks at the pictures and occasionally reads something. I've wondered about a reading disability with him, too. He slurs his words a lot of the time when he reads aloud to our kids and often falls asleep. But I don't know how much of that is disability and how much of this is dominant Se. If he's not moving or engaged in solving a problem it's like his brain automatically shuts down, like a cat snoozing between the action.

I say I because she's not shy but she doesn't enjoy socializing, is reserved, only likes to have a small circle of friends, all that. She still has a little young kid extrovertedness going on, but I have a feeling that'll be gone in a couple years.

B

brainheart

Well, if you're convinced she's an introvert, I'll go with ISFP. But sometimes it's hard to tell. My husband can seem introverted because he hates small talk, he won't just go up and start talking to people, etc, but he always has to be doing something- he definitely lives more in the world than in his head. In my opinion, that's the big difference between introvert and extrovert, not whether you like being with lots of people or not.

PoprocksAndCoke

A Benign Tumor
MBTI Type
ENTP
Well, if you're convinced she's an introvert, I'll go with ISFP. But sometimes it's hard to tell. My husband can seem introverted because he hates small talk, he won't just go up and start talking to people, etc, but he always has to be doing something- he definitely lives more in the world than in his head. In my opinion, that's the big difference between introvert and extrovert, not whether you like being with lots of people or not.

Yes, I know that's the big difference.
As an extrovert that seems introverted, I know what you mean.
But it's harder to explain how you know that someone lives in their head or in the world. I never said the big difference was whether you like being around people or not. My friend loves small talk, but she lives in her head. I specifically said she's not shy. If I thought the difference was whether you like being around people or not, based on that I would've called her an extrovert.

Tyrant

MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
I see no reason to doubt the INFP typing. Take what these other people say with a grain of salt. I'll let you on a little secret, they're all idiots

incubustribute

MBTI Type
ISFJ
I see no reason to doubt the INFP typing. Take what these other people say with a grain of salt. I'll let you on a little secret, they're all idiots

:sadbanana:

Seriously though, what about any of my posts (Fe is taking it personally) gave you that inclination? :confused:

Thalassa

Permabanned
MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sx
:sadbanana:

Seriously though, what about any of my posts (Fe is taking it personally) gave you that inclination? :confused:

Oh, that person is saying nasty things just trying to see who he can rile up. Everyone on here has given reasonable opinions suggesting that this person may be an ISFP, or whatever else they suspect.

Tyrant

MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
Oh, that person is saying nasty things just trying to see who he can rile up. Everyone on here has given reasonable opinions suggesting that this person may be an ISFP, or whatever else they suspect.
Such as? I bet some people looked at "she hates to read" and instantly thought "nope, gotta be a sensor, durr."

Truth be told, there isn't much to go on, so I don't get this "oh, she sounds ISFP" stuff. If the original poster wants anything at least somewhat accurate, she has to write more information.

PoprocksAndCoke

A Benign Tumor
MBTI Type
ENTP
Such as? I bet some people looked at "she hates to read" and instantly thought "nope, gotta be a sensor, durr."

Truth be told, there isn't much to go on, so I don't get this "oh, she sounds ISFP" stuff. If the original poster wants anything at least somewhat accurate, she has to write more information.

No trolling on my threads allowed. Well, this one, anyway. If you want to troll, find a thread of mine that really sucks. She does sound ISFP. She doesn't like to seem like a conformist, she's an artist, and she just has an SP attitude in general. You seem more ISTP. Very little use of N on your part, my friend.

Tyrant

MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
No trolling on my threads allowed. Well, this one, anyway. If you want to troll, find a thread of mine that really sucks. She does sound ISFP. She doesn't like to seem like a conformist, she's an artist, and she just has an SP attitude in general. You seem more ISTP. Very little use of N on your part, my friend.

REALLY? Did you just type me as ISTP by two posts? I never said your friend wasn't an ISFP, read what I said over and over again until you understand that. Err, very little use of N? This is just another shining example of a person having no idea what they're talking about, and making MBTI look like a joke.

You're clearly an idiot. I'm done with this thread.

Habba

MBTI Type
ISTJ
Enneagram
1w9
I bet some people looked at "she hates to read" and instantly thought "nope, gotta be a sensor, durr."

Weird, I'm currently a book-a-holic. Can't stop reading!!

To OP:

My train of throughts:

"Hmm.. a topic to indentify whether someone is an INFP. Sounds interesting to hear what someone thinks makes a person an INFP."

Once, she didn't like one person she barely knew, but she got to know him a bit better and grudgingly decided to let him in her circle of friends.

"Oh.. sounds like a quick judgmental call on her part then. And sounds like she's changing her opinion under pressure so that other would like here more. That's very ISFJ thing to do."

She tries to cover it up, but she's a dreamer.

"SFJs are often somewhat idealistic, but they somehow dislike that part of themselves, thinking that dreaming is somewhat immature."

She was a fan of the Twilight series

"SFs are such suckers for this kind of emo vampire-stories. :D"

She considers herself "emo".

"Wouldn't be the first ISFJ to do so..."

She calls herself stupid, which among other things gives me the impression of low-self-esteem.

"Again, ISFJ popped into my mind."

She often has friends sleep on the floor at slumber parties because she doesn't want her bed messed up.

"Oh... either she's very bitter and judgmental SJ, or just SP. Hmm... she could also be ISFP."

She's aggressive

"SJs aren't aggressive... they are passive-aggressive for sure, but rarely directly aggressive. That's more like SP kind of thing."

She usually hates reading if there aren't pictures.

"Sounds like a type that has difficulty concentrating on something that doesn't give immediate sensorical experience. Se... ISFP would have that.

So, first I thought she might be ISFJ, with low self-esteem and developing martyr complex... or an ISFP, who hasn't yet understood how her actions reflects to people around her.

But more or less, she seems to be very uncertain who she is, and leaning towards what other people wants of her, and then being frustrated being that person.

Dr. Habba away! :jew:

B

brainheart

^^ That's pretty much how it went for me, too, although I wasn't ruling out ESFP because I didn't think I got enough information on the I vs. E. But anyway...

PoprocksAndCoke

A Benign Tumor
MBTI Type
ENTP
Weird, I'm currently a book-a-holic. Can't stop reading!!

To OP:

My train of throughts:

"Hmm.. a topic to indentify whether someone is an INFP. Sounds interesting to hear what someone thinks makes a person an INFP."

Once, she didn't like one person she barely knew, but she got to know him a bit better and grudgingly decided to let him in her circle of friends.

"Oh.. sounds like a quick judgmental call on her part then. And sounds like she's changing her opinion under pressure so that other would like here more. That's very ISFJ thing to do."

She tries to cover it up, but she's a dreamer.

"SFJs are often somewhat idealistic, but they somehow dislike that part of themselves, thinking that dreaming is somewhat immature."

She was a fan of the Twilight series

"SFs are such suckers for this kind of emo vampire-stories. :D"

She considers herself "emo".

"Wouldn't be the first ISFJ to do so..."

She calls herself stupid, which among other things gives me the impression of low-self-esteem.

"Again, ISFJ popped into my mind."

She often has friends sleep on the floor at slumber parties because she doesn't want her bed messed up.

"Oh... either she's very bitter and judgmental SJ, or just SP. Hmm... she could also be ISFP."

She's aggressive

"SJs aren't aggressive... they are passive-aggressive for sure, but rarely directly aggressive. That's more like SP kind of thing."

She usually hates reading if there aren't pictures.

"Sounds like a type that has difficulty concentrating on something that doesn't give immediate sensorical experience. Se... ISFP would have that.

So, first I thought she might be ISFJ, with low self-esteem and developing martyr complex... or an ISFP, who hasn't yet understood how her actions reflects to people around her.

But more or less, she seems to be very uncertain who she is, and leaning towards what other people wants of her, and then being frustrated being that person.

Dr. Habba away! :jew:

Thanks for the help. I agree.

incubustribute

MBTI Type
ISFJ
What a great fellow! I'm glad Tyrant had the insight to label everyone in the forum as an idiot, AND the grace to call the OP an idiot, but still felt the need to contribute his posts. It's like walking into an port-a-potty with an empty bladder just to complain about the smell. I suggest to everyone who goes on this forum: if you TRULY think someone is an idiot, then don't waste your precious internet time communicating with them. If, however, you are just trying to push buttons, don't be surprised when someone calls you a troll.

Tyrant

MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
I admit, when I called everyone in this thread an idiot, I wasn't exactly in the right ...

But I figured she was an idiot after her silly post directed towards me. Hell, she told me in a visitor message S types actively engage in assuming more than N types. She also told me I'm skeptical of people's N and N in general, and I have developed Judging. If that isn't a sign she has no idea what she's talking about, I don't know what is.