• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

I'm getting old and constantly changing... INTJ or INTP

cascadeco

MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
9w1
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Ok, I just checked out your age - 20 - and that's still kinda young in terms of personality development (in my opinion). Now I'm gonna make myself sound all old and stuff, but I was pretty clueless as a teenager about my personality (in hindsight, I'd call my teenage self half-formed/to-be-determined), and given my lack of friends, social ineptitude and inability to click with really anyone on a deep level, fear/dislike of many of my peers, my interest in math and science and disinterest in many of the the more stereotypical 'F' pursuits/inclinations, I would have tested as T, and really related to the T descriptions. I'm reasonably certain in my teens I would not have tested or identified with INFJ, and even in my early 20's I did not test as such or see how I could possibly be an NF.

All of this is to say...growing up is the process of learning more about yourself and honing in on who you are...and a lot of that happens in ones 20's. Or maybe I was just stunted and I was a really late bloomer. :laugh: (by the way, I'm not trying to be patronizing or anything, although it probably comes across that way)

So maybe in your late teens you identified with INTP. Maybe in another few years you'll have come to new understandings of yourself and you'll realize that's not your 'best fit', and really you're more INTJ. Or, maybe INTP will just take root even deeper and you'll continue identifying with it.

Tyrant

MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
Don't listen to cascadeco.

Your hobbies have absolutely nothing to do with your MBTI type, I c/p my post from an earlier thread and never edited that out.

Honestly, papers, I believe you're a LSE (ESTj) from what you've just given me.

Thalassa

Permabanned
MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sx
I think you should contemplate the functions i.e. NiTe (INTJ) or TiNe (INTP) to make your final decision.

Would you say you're more Ni or more Ti? Secondary Te or Ne?

cascadeco

MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
9w1
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx

Your hobbies have absolutely nothing to do with your MBTI type, I c/p my post from an earlier thread and never edited that out.

Honestly, papers, I believe you're a LSE (ESTj) from what you've just given me, and a MBTI ESTJ, too.

Did I say hobbies had anything to do with mbti type? No, I didn't. Don't snatch up any one element of my post and speak only to that; you missed the broader context.

Self-rating of our own personality is ultimately about our own perception of ourselves, and it is our *perception* of ourselves (whether accurate or inaccurate) that determines how we test, and how we relate to various type descriptions. If one perceives himself as being primarily rational/logical based on any number of factors, he's going to test and relate to any descriptions that would speak to his perception - whether or not it is truly 'accurate'. And most people when introduced to mbti - through testing or whatever - are going to have a superficial understanding of the system anyway, so they will only know of the stereotypes. The questions tend to follow the stereotypes. One could almost say that if the majority of people/organizations who are acquainted with and utilize mbti only know of the stereotypes, dichotomies, and little personality blurbs (and not the functions), for all practical purposes, mbti IS the stereotyping.

But yeah, totally off-topic, paperoceans, I'm sorry.

Thalassa

Permabanned
MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sx
Ok, I just checked out your age - 20 - and that's still kinda young in terms of personality development (in my opinion). Now I'm gonna make myself sound all old and stuff, but I was pretty clueless as a teenager about my personality (in hindsight, I'd call my teenage self half-formed/to-be-determined), and given my lack of friends, social ineptitude and inability to click with really anyone on a deep level, fear/dislike of many of my peers, my interest in math and science and disinterest in many of the the more stereotypical 'F' pursuits/inclinations, I would have tested as T, and really related to the T descriptions. I'm reasonably certain in my teens I would not have tested or identified with INFJ, and even in my early 20's I did not test as such or see how I could possibly be an NF.

All of this is to say...growing up is the process of learning more about yourself and honing in on who you are...and a lot of that happens in ones 20's. Or maybe I was just stunted and I was a really late bloomer. :laugh: (by the way, I'm not trying to be patronizing or anything, although it probably comes across that way)

So maybe in your late teens you identified with INTP. Maybe in another few years you'll have come to new understandings of yourself and you'll realize that's not your 'best fit', and really you're more INTJ. Or, maybe INTP will just take root even deeper and you'll continue identifying with it.

I kind of relate to this. When I was a teenager I initially tested myself as INFJ, but after learning more about MBTI and Socionics and taking more tests I realize that this is virtually impossible, because I have extraordinarily high Fi and only moderate Fe. I also employ Ne much more in "what I do" or what I'm good at, than I do Ni...it's not that I don't use Ni, but I associate my strengths with Fi and Ne, not Fe and Ni.

Also, I don't think bipolar disorder would necessarily make you a P in any event. I've met unmedicated mentally ill people who are most certainly Js beyond a shadow of a doubt.

Tyrant

MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
Did I say hobbies had anything to do with mbti type? No, I didn't. Don't snatch up any one element of my post and speak only to that; you missed the broader context.
Wasn't directed towards you. It was also plainly obvious.

Thalassa

Permabanned
MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sx

Honestly, papers, I believe you're a LSE (ESTj) from what you've just given me.

You may think she's an ESTj because of her obvious use of Te. That means she probably is a INTJ, not an INTP.

I doubt she completely tested her self wrong as introverted and intuitive as well as being perceiving instead of judging. ESTJ is almost opposite of INTP except for the T. I trust that she knows herself better than you do, unless you have had extended PM conversations with her, or know her IRL.

Tyrant

MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
You may think she's an ESTj because of her obvious use of Te. That means she probably is a INTJ, not an INTP.

I doubt she completely tested her self wrong as introverted and intuitive as well as being perceiving instead of judging. ESTJ is almost opposite of INTP except for the T. I trust that she knows herself better than you do, unless you have had extended PM conversations with her, or know her IRL.
I see a clear Te > Ti preference with no indication of Ni (she actually says things that points to her not valuing Ni). Has listed being qualities, behavior, and values that go extremely well with the Delta Quadra - very obvious. And before anyone says it, obviously if I believe you are an Socionics ESTj, you aren't a MBTI INTJ or INTP.

She was sure of ENTP. She was sure of being INTP just a few weeks ago, now the descriptions don't fit at all. She admitted to testing as many other types (ISTP, ISTJ, INTJ), as well. She also types with the four dichotomies, and seems to have very limited knowledge of the functions (this could be false, not too sure). This post isn't meant to be insulting, btw.

Stop typing with the four dichotomies, sunrise.

Jaguar

How does one go from ENTP to INTJ? At the end of all this you might land at ISFJ... if you keep you current trajectory.

Without mentioning names, there's someone in this forum who went from ENFP in 2007, to ESTP in 2008, to ENTJ in 2009.
I'm wondering who they will be in 2010. :D

paperoceans

Une Femme est une femme
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
8w7
I'm not an ESxx or ISxx. And there's no way in hell that I'm an extrovert. I think I'm going to go with INTJ, I think know myself better than anyone here does.

Thanks everyone for helping.

Ghost of the dead horse

filling some space
MBTI Type
ENTJ
Without mentioning names, there's someone in this forum who went from ENFP in 2007, to ESTP in 2008, to ENTJ in 2009.
I'm wondering who they will be in 2010. :D
You will remember not to believe in MBTI or to believe in MBTI consistently, right? :D

B

brainheart

I'm wondering this as well... why? What you say sounds like Si + Te to me. I have an ISTJ dad and bro and what you say sounds similar to them. There's nothing wrong with being an SJ, if that's your concern. My ISTJ bro is one of the smartest people I know, and I envy their ability to stay on point/task. They actually know how to save money and plan for things!

Not only are you young, you are bipolar. That makes things kind of nuts. I went through a big MBTI 'what am I' identity crisis over the last several months- running the whole gamut of basically every NF NT and SP type. I returned to what I was when I was first typed in high school... INFP. It's who I truly am, but the bipolar can make you 'seem' different sometimes, not to mention after an episode your self-image is pretty... unstable.

You could also be relying on tertiary Si and inferior Te, that's a possibility, I suppose, which would make you an INFP. I went through a pretty serious inferior function phase, back when I thought I was an INTP and was considering that I was possibly an INTJ...

I like to research, too. The other stuff you say I don't exactly relate to, but I do know that Si + Te are where I hide when I'm playing it safe. What were you like as a kid? That's usually a good way to figure out your type, I've found.

paperoceans

Une Femme est une femme
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
8w7
I'm wondering this as well... why? What you say sounds like Si + Te to me. I have an ISTJ dad and bro and what you say sounds similar to them. There's nothing wrong with being an SJ, if that's your concern. My ISTJ bro is one of the smartest people I know, and I envy their ability to stay on point/task. They actually know how to save money and plan for things!

Not only are you young, you are bipolar. That makes things kind of nuts. I went through a big MBTI 'what am I' identity crisis over the last several months- running the whole gamut of basically every NF NT and SP type. I returned to what I was when I was first typed in high school... INFP. It's who I truly am, but the bipolar can make you 'seem' different sometimes, not to mention after an episode your self-image is pretty... unstable.

You could also be relying on tertiary Si and inferior Te, that's a possibility, I suppose, which would make you an INFP. I went through a pretty serious inferior function phase, back when I thought I was an INTP and was considering that I was possibly an INTJ...

I like to research, too. The other stuff you say I don't exactly relate to, but I do know that Si + Te are where I hide when I'm playing it safe. What were you like as a kid? That's usually a good way to figure out your type, I've found.

Nope.

Sensing (S)
Paying attention to physical reality, what I see, hear, touch, taste, and smell. I’m concerned with what is actual, present, current, and real. I notice facts and I remember details that are important to me. I like to see the practical use of things and learn best when I see how to use what I’m learning. Experience speaks to me louder than words.

The following statements generally apply to me:

I remember events as snapshots of what actually happened.
I solve problems by working through facts until I understand the problem.
I am pragmatic and look to the “bottom line.”
I start with facts and then form a big picture.
I trust experience first and trust words and symbols less.
Sometimes I pay so much attention to facts, either present or past, that I miss new possibilities.

No.

Intuition (N)
Paying the most attention to impressions or the meaning and patterns of the information I get. I would rather learn by thinking a problem through than by hands-on experience. I’m interested in new things and what might be possible, so that I think more about the future than the past. I like to work with symbols or abstract theories, even if I don’t know how I will use them. I remember events more as an impression of what it was like than as actual facts or details of what happened.

The following statements generally apply to me:

I remember events by what I read “between the lines” about their meaning.
I solve problems by leaping between different ideas and possibilities.
I am interested in doing things that are new and different.
I like to see the big picture, then to find out the facts.
I trust impressions, symbols, and metaphors more than what I actually experienced
Sometimes I think so much about new possibilities that I never look at how to make them a reality.

Yes. I like how I did all of this without saying much.

paperoceans

Une Femme est une femme
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
8w7
Retook MBTI test

INTP - The "Engineer"

Introverted 84%
Intuition 84%
Thinking 63%
Perceiving 53%

Borderline INTJ, but still INTP. All my results are typically INTP--unless I'm manic. I have taken the same test during mania and the results were ENTP. Anyway, for now I'll just stick with INTP... For now. Wow, this post was meaningless and I'm out of milk.

Tyrant

MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
Again, you should really stop typing yourself using the four dichotomies - All I saw in your description was Te/Fi + Si valuing.