• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Am I INFP?

mockingbird

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
9w1
I've finally gotten tired of not understanding some of the posters when they get into socionics. So I found an online test.
Tests

My results were INFJ, but also Fi, Ne, Si, Te.

As I said, I don't know much at all about socionics, but I have at least gathered from other posts on this forum that INFJs are supposed to be Ni dominant. So what's the deal here? Am I an INFP and this test has the definitions switched around? Am I really an Fi dominant INFJ and is this possible? Did I take the test wrong? Please help, I'm so confused!

B

brainheart

Socionics, as far as I know, switches the J with a P and vice versa if you are an introvert. In other words, socionics INFj= MBTI INFP.

Is that correct, anyone who knows?

TopherRed

MBTI Type
ENFJ
Enneagram
2w3
Instinctual Variant
so/sx
That's what I've found. The Fi Ne Si Te is INFP completely.

mockingbird

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
9w1
Then why does the test type me INFJ? If they're going to make this correspond to MBTI, why don't they do it accurately?:steam:

B

brainheart

because since we are Fi dominant, which is a judging function, we are INFj in socionics. That's how they do it.

Max

MBTI Type
ISTP
Socionics, as far as I know, switches the J with a P and vice versa if you are an introvert. In other words, socionics INFj= MBTI INFP.

Is that correct, anyone who knows?

No, that is a myth. Though it is a possibility that your Judging/Perceiving preference is switched, it's not always the case.

mockingbird

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
9w1
I'm still confused. The test was confused at first as well. It was inconclusive, typing me INFx, and gave me this deciding question:
Decider
*Click*here*if...*
*Click*here*if...*
You may often feel the need but find it rather difficult to maintain a steady balance between your physical and spiritual self.*

You may often feel the need but find it rather difficult to maintain a steady balance between your intellectual and emotional self.

I can relate to both of these in a way, but I definately relate to the former description more than the latter. So I get the impression that were I to choose the latter description, I would have been typed INFP. I'm not sure why though.*

mockingbird

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
9w1
Here's another unusual thing. The site I took this test on, socionics.com, has their own type descriptions which actually include descriptions of the facial types of each personality. Here is the first paragraph in the INFJ description:

"INFjs have a very characteristic dispassionate facial expression. This is often reminiscent of the depiction of saints and martyrs from early Christian icons. Their faces convey the feeling that their soul is suffering even when it is not. INFjs faces are often perfect ovals but can be rectangular in shape as well. Their noses are usually straight and slightly elongated, but not prominent."

Weird, huh? Is this just some strange attempt at caricature or are they being literal? Strange thing is, I do have on oval face and longish nose. Don't see how the deuce this has anything to do with my personality, but, well, there you have it.

Tyrant

MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
MBTI is such a muddled system (it lacks an intertype relations system, MBTI is all about behavioral preferences, etc.) - Socionics is the way to go. If you're interested in Socionics, here's link to a site. I recommend you forget pretty much everything you about MBTI.

OrangeAppled

Sugar Hiccup
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I don't find Socionics to line up perfectly with MBTI either. The definitions of the functions are a bit different. To find your MBTI type, put your Socionics knowledge aside, and start from scratch with MBTI tests and reading about the functions.

I personally test INFP in MBTI and INFp in Socionics, but I don't see myself as Ni-dom, it's just that the Socionics profiles for INFj and it's definitions of Fi suck. That's why I prefer MBTI, because its definition of Fi is far more accurate for me. People tend to prefer the system that they identify themselves in more clearly.

If you want to get to the root of both theories, read Jung's Psychological Types. Both Socionics and MBTI are built on his theory, and I found it a very informative read and essential for someone really interested in these theories.

Tyrant

MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
I personally test INFP in MBTI and INFp in Socionics, but I don't see myself as Ni-dom, it's just that the Socionics profiles for INFj and it's definitions of Fi suck. That's why I prefer MBTI, because its definition of Fi is far more accurate for me. People tend to prefer the system that they identify themselves in more clearly.

MBTI has such poor definitions for Si, Se, Fi, and Ni (magical possibilities out of nowhere?), and to some extent, Fe.

The function positions are so poorly explained, the whole system is a incoherent mess. To find your MBTI type, its best to type yourself by behavioral preferences, rather than cognitive processes.

mockingbird

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
9w1
I think I will read Jung's Psychological Types. Maybe taking tests is just confusing me and I just need to do my own research.

I find that I share characteristics with both INFJs and INFPs. However there is just so much about myself at the very core that just isn't explained by any descriptions that Ive read about these types.

Maybe I'm just expecting too much out of these systems. I want more answers. I long for people to understand me. I want so badly to say,"This is who I am", and have everyone understand exactly what I mean. Or to at least gain closer meaningful connections to people.

I have been misunderstood my whole life, but I can hardly blame anyone else for not understanding me when I remain a mystery to myself as well. It looks as though this is just going to be a long journey for me. Thanks for the info, folks, every little bit helps.:)

Lauren Ashley

Revelation
MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I find that I share characteristics with both INFJs and INFPs. However there is just so much about myself at the very core that just isn't explained by any descriptions that Ive read about these types.

Same. I don't think there will ever be a perfect definition for who an individual is. MBTI/typology comes close, but in the end every individual is too unique.

entropie

Permabanned
MBTI Type
entp
Enneagram
No you are not infp Lauren, no matter how hard you'ld try :)

Lauren Ashley

Revelation
MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
No you are not infp Lauren, no matter how hard you'ld try :)

Lol?

Who said I was trying to be INFP? I am INFJ. I just said I could relate to the descriptions not fitting perfectly.

OrangeAppled

Sugar Hiccup
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
MBTI has such poor definitions for Si, Se, Fi, and Ni (magical possibilities out of nowhere?), and to some extent, Fe.

The function positions are so poorly explained, the whole system is a incoherent mess. To find your MBTI type, its best to type yourself by behavioral preferences, rather than cognitive processes.

See, I prefer MBTI descriptions for Fi. Socionics doesn't acknowledge the artistic and imaginative side of Fi enough, IMO. I'm not the people-pleasing type, and according to Jung, that's very much in-line with being Fi-dom.

Although I agree that taking a whole profile into consideration is important. You don't want to miss the forest for the trees.

Tyrant

MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
See, I prefer MBTI descriptions for Fi. Socionics doesn't acknowledge the artistic and imaginative side of Fi enough, IMO.
Artistic and imaginative side of Fi? Which (socionics) Fi descriptions are you reading?

mockingbird

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
9w1
OK, so after searching around, I'm sticking with the INFJ Myer-Briggs type. It still describes me better than all the MBTI descriptions.

I have learned, though, that one's Myers-Briggs type might, but doesn't necessarily indicate your type in socionics. I really don't relate to the INFj type description in socionics. Thanks to Tyrant, I've found a much more useful sight that gives me a better description of myself than the Myers-Briggs INFJ description. I'm officially a fan of socionics!:D

In socionics, Im INFp. Intuitive Ethical Introvert. This description is almost too close for comfort!

IEI

1. Itroverted Intuition
IEIs perceive, process, and produce information concerning trends and patterns over time most intensively. They constantly and inadvertently make judgments, assessments, and assumptions about relationships based on what they see as recurring trends from past behavior. They tend to understand the underlying dynamics of situations, people, etc., but may not be able to readily verbalize these insights since they are so internal and conceptual.
The temporal world of the IEI is vivid and complex. IEIs are very imaginative people who tend to be more mystical and dreamy, thus possibly annoying * *-seeking Logical types, who require practical applications for their ideas. Their gentle demeanor does not cast them as particularly rebellious, but their obscure desires are often a far cry from those of the typical person.
[edit] 2. Extroverted ethics
IEIs apply their understanding of trends of behavior over time to observing, analyzing, and influencing people's moods. They make contact with other people by attempting to influence their emotions positively, which is their way of creating something in themself worthy of being included in interaction.
IEIs are comfortable discussing feelings that arise from interaction between people. They are naturals at guessing who has been offended and approaching the person and helping them to let off steam and make amends with the offender. IEIs are typically quick to take the blame for offenses upon themselves in order to show their acceptance and good will towards the other person, and create good attitudes.
IEIs' speech and voice usually have a certain dramatic affect and depth of feeling, which influence the emotions in the atmosphere; these feelings can be used to generate elation and boisterous laughter. If IEIs prefer, they can also generate and communicate their feelings of sadness and loss. They are adept at communicating depth of feeling. If things seem too quiet and low-key, they may even generate controversy or conflict to liven things up and get people involved once again in a high-spirited atmosphere.
The IEI will often say something that sounds very deep and heartfelt only to immediately realize the ridiculousness of what they are saying and make light of it. In this way, the IEI does not induce a formal separation between joking and being serious (like their mirror, the EIE), because they are less premeditated in expression in their natural state.
[edit] Super-Ego block

[edit] 3. Introverted sensing
IEIs have limited endurance in their awareness of what is going on between sensations and objects in the area around them. They are generally somewhat aware that they are ignoring this area and perceive it as a personal weakness. They will sporadically work on it in order to meet other people's expectations or achieve something in society. Much of the time, however, they couldn't care enough to make a concentrated effort, which they find in itself to be tiring and unfulfilling. This often leads to an oscillating cycle of coping methods for competency and total rejection at the onset of exhaustion or criticism.
In these areas IEIs tend to be inflexible and skeptical of outer information, and may become very pedantic about certain things. IEIs will often have extremely picky tastes, and will not try new things when a stimulus that has been enjoyed in the past is available. They tend to be unaware to the sensations that are occurring in their body, and thus try to create a consistent, simple way of dealing with this area to minimize the attention they must give to it. They may enjoy good food, but will typically not know when to stop, or, to the other extreme, may not realize when they are hungry.
It is not infrequent for IEIs to have a messy living space, although this simply may reflect the organizational style they prefer most. They may sporadically organize or try to add style, then tire of it or forget and leave a project half-finished. The state of things is either generally ignored or perceived in some distant part of the mind as a self-depreciating nag.
[edit] 4. Extroverted logic
IEIs have limited endurance in awareness concerning methods to achieve their purposes without wasting any energy or producing unwanted side effects. This creates a feeling of frustration and inadequacy. They do not value the importance of this area, and it can lead to painful consequences.
Taking care of intensely detailed work that is required to reach their goals, like managing finance or being pragmatic in business ventures, will exhaust their sense of concentration and they will find it frustrating as they continually encounter mistakes and things they had forgotten about or inadvertently ignored.
IEIs also hate being told what to do. They dislike having the details of the process--rote facts and statistics--thrown at them, giving more weight to an intuitive understanding of how the events within the process culminate inevitably in a certain result. They will distrust and dislike bossy people, and will avoid people who will assign them routine work like chores. They will even avoid their friends and family when they expect that they will be assigned such work, and do not enjoy fulfilling daily chores.
They dislike rote routine and do not give much attention to what others may view as the practical aspects of life. They may seem oblivious to objective reality, lost in their "dreams." IEIs will be overly stressed or even counter-productive in an atmosphere where speedy organization and efficiency are forced apon them.
[edit] Super-Id block

[edit] 5. Extroverted sensing
IEIs have little natural or automatic awareness concerning their ability to make use of their willpower or position and exercise their will in opposition to others. Such a task is bothersome and they appreciate someone taking up the role for them and executing it well.
IEIs are awed in the face of someone adept at using their willpower or position and exercising their will in opposition to others. IEIs are drawn to people who exude this self-confidence and personal presence; just being with them is enlivening. These are the people who dream big dreams and are capable of achieving them, who aren't fazed by the obstacles that so often stand in the IEI's path.
The IEIs' own world is one of indecision and hesitation when it comes to taking action and striking out on their own. What best removes this hesitation is when someone else really wants them to do something. The IEI then relies on the other person's strong desire to mobilize them to action, as if the force of their desire were their own.
[edit] 6. Introverted logic
IEIs seek help understanding and perceiving objective measurements and correlations between data within a system, but past a certain point such judgment is seen as overkill. IEIs do not tend to store such information themselves, but they appreciate this trait in others. They may doubt their objectivity in such areas of understanding, and desire a partner who is strong and responsive in this function to ensure certainty.
They have a secret desire to truly understand things, but will fall short without an outer reference to keep them on the same page. Without a partner who can provide motivation and logical structural reference, they may slide off the edge of the map, lost in their dreams and out of touch with reality.
IEIs are aware of their own disorganization with logical constructs and can sometimes feel as though they do not know what to do about it. Sometimes a simple routine way of categorizing ideas and their logical correlations can do wonders for IEIs, as long as they still feel independent and free to explore the subject matter creatively.
[edit] Id block

[edit] 7. Extroverted intuition
An IEI is not as likely to give as much weight to external patterns and connections, mostly because they can easily see the crux of things through their Ni. While an Ne type may go from point A to point C, and so on, the IEI will quickly observe a situation and gain an underlying understanding that they continually develop until they have reached the essence of things.
[edit] 8. Introverted ethics
An IEI is adept at understanding his/her own disposition towards others and their own general emotional state. Their primary focus, however, isn't on what subjective ties they have, but rather, the energy flow that is going on with and around them. The IEI can easily assess the status of a relationship between himself and someone else, but generally only does so if necessary. For the most part, they view static emotional judgments as limiting to the emotional dynamics of a situation.
IEIs can get strong physical sensations of their own internal feelings which pressures them into retreating to their personal boundaries. These sensations range from minor head pains to stomach aches and take place especially when they fall behind due to external pressures. When they do withdraw, they can take many hours reflecting over the problems stressing them, and as a result INFps can remain reclusive. They can even feel like they're in a nightmare when they cannot resolve the things that are plaguing their minds.