• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Fidelia XNFJ?

Fidelia

Iron Maiden
Staff member
MBTI Type
INFJ
Yes! You understand it, Jennifer. I understand that an outline is the way to go, but I'll start with one and then abandon it and keep trying till I am so frustrated. I never was good at summarizing movies either or doing book reviews. Any ideas for developing more Te? I sometimes am the same even about organizing my stuff. I become too perfectionistic and don't know where to put everything, or have grandiose ideas of how it ought to be and then it doesn't get done. My procrastination rarely is about pure laziness or avoidance, so much as not being sure how to go at things in such a way that the task doesn't become too overwhelming. Surprisingly when teaching, I am much better at explaining to students what to do step by step, but I can't seem to see and apply the same principles for myself.

Usehername

On a mission
Yes! You understand it, Jennifer. I understand that an outline is the way to go, but I'll start with one and then abandon it and keep trying till I am so frustrated. I never was good at summarizing movies either or doing book reviews. Any ideas for developing more Te? I sometimes am the same even about organizing my stuff. I become too perfectionistic and don't know where to pout everything, or have grandiose ideas of how it ought to be and then it doesn't get done. My procrastination rarely is about pure laziness or avoidance, so much as not being sure how to go at things in such a way that the task doesn't become too overwhelming. Surprisingly when teaching, I am much better at explaining to students what to do step by step, but I can't seem to see and apply the same principles for myself.

If it helps, I struggle with the same thing in writing; I am only good with Te-eing "that which is not me" (which includes other people/objects/etc.) but it feels like writing is part of "that which is me" and then I get swamped like a child at an amusement park who doesn't know where to start.

Totenkindly

@.~*virinaĉo*~.@
MBTI Type
BELF
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Maybe i'll have more to say later, but I will throw in my lot with Fid and UHN right now... I'm just the same way... good at telling others, terrible at articulating my own internal vision in ways that don't get muddy.

At best, I usually just grit my teeth and start slashing things. Ugh.

Fidelia

Iron Maiden
Staff member
MBTI Type
INFJ
So, what kinds of types are going to be the most likely to have strengths in this area? Would it be sensors? Who would have the most balanced view between overview and detail?

Usehername

On a mission
I think it's just the INxx spends so much time sorting through their ideas, and doing so by themselves, that it is intertwined with their identity. So someone who spends less time constructing ideas (which doesn't mean they'd be worse at it, just that they don't do it as often) might be able to see it as separate more easily, and then have an easier time letting stuff go?

Letting stuff go in writing is hard for everyone, though.

pippi

MBTI Type
xxxx
I think there are times when being able to break things down in the way that seems natural to me is useful. However there are times when an overview is much better. I know INFJs can have a tendancy when they are overwhelmed to see more trees and no forest. For example, if I am writing a paper, it can sometimes be a problem because there are too many little extraneous pieces of information that I want to fit in. I know they aren't necessary, but then it becomes overwhelming to know what to get rid of. The ESTJ I knew was excellent at this. Any ideas for developing this ability? What function would that be?

That sounds like you want to use Te, it focuses on the goal and cuts through the extraneous stuff. The way you describe your own process sounds like Ti. Ti is nitpicky and wants to know how everything fits. Te doesn't care about precision as long as it works. Te is about planning and focusing on the outcome instead of the process.

What happens when you write an outline, or even a very bare bones list of highlights before you write? Can you stick to it or do you go off on tangents?

Fidelia

Iron Maiden
Staff member
MBTI Type
INFJ
Can't seem to stick to it. Start doubting that I really put down the main points that matter. Keep revising my outline and discovering that I've written in everything for nothing because two points in I decide that I picked the wrong points. It's horrific. Truly!

I think an extrovert is better at quickly generating ideas and not getting as attached to them. However, you are right about Te. So, what are the main types that use Te? Is there such a thing though as being too ruthless in this regard?

matilda

I would say ISFJ, the only reason being that you remind me of my ISFJ sister. Could be ESFJ as well.

ETA: I don't think you're Te ego, but yeah, main types that use Te are ESTJ and ENTJ.

Typing-wise, long posts (multiple possibilities = Ne creative?, comprehensive = prob Te valuing) + editing (introversion) suggests rational introvert.

Socionics-wise (yea, I know they're not the same, but let me continue, yeah?), your typing style suggests Te hidden agenda, which translates again to IXFJ.

You may just be INFJ [Fi blocked by Ne] in Socionics OR IXFJ in MBTT [Ji+Fe] but this is mere speculation. I'm not even that familiar with Socionics hah

pippi

MBTI Type
xxxx
Can't seem to stick to it. Start doubting that I really put down the main points that matter. Keep revising my outline and discovering that I've written in everything for nothing because two points in I decide that I picked the wrong points. It's horrific. Truly!

I think an extrovert is better at quickly generating ideas and not getting as attached to them. However, you are right about Te. So, what are the main types that use Te? Is there such a thing though as being too ruthless in this regard?
It sounds like you doubt your Ni to a certain extent. If you can learn to trust your first instincts you probably don't need to develop Te, your Fe or Ti will pull you through (assuming you are INFJ). Your perceiving function is the meal, the judging function garnishes the presentation.

xxTJs use Te.

Yes, there is a downside to Te, it can lead to confirmation bias and you can miss things, sometimes you'll even miss the point. But on the plus side, it gets things done. It always has a plan. It drives you to stay focused and complete things.

Fidelia

Iron Maiden
Staff member
MBTI Type
INFJ
Eek, Matilda, I've gotten suckered into enough ESFJ ladies nites/sales parties to be very aware there is a large gulf between myself and them! They actually enjoy that stuff! I have a couple of ISFJ friends and we are also very different. They tend to be the kind of people that are nice, quite devoted to Facebook and Survivor type reality shows and are homebodies. Schools are dominated by enough SJs for me to be very sure that I am not akin to them. I don't relate well to most Ss, even though I've had to learn to deal with SJs quite regularly, so am improving at finding ways of presenting information so that they will be more receptive.

I think this problem of not ruling out extraneous information tends to happen more with subjects that I feel strongly about or care about. A research paper on something fairly straightforward with clear guidelines is really no big deal.

It's when I have a vision of what it should be, but it seems kind of like you can't actually touch it or get your hands on it - it's hazy in the distance, yet you have a very clear idea in mind of what you want. Kind of like a mirage or something - when you get close, it just moves further away, and yet you can still see it. I'm not even sure I'm explaining this right. I find it's the same when I draw or write. I have this abstract image of what I want something to be, but am always disappointed with the pale and puny version of it in reality. I know enough to know whether I have it the way I want it or not, but can't get ahold of it well enough to recreate it outside my mind.

The other time I have problems is when someone is asking me to write something from a standpoint that I truly can't agree with and when the parameters are not well defined. An example of this is a master's level final paper. I was supposed to write this paper, making a case for teaching Metis fiddle music across all Canadian schools, using multicultural theorists' writings to build my case. Unfortunately all of these writings very specifically referenced situations unique to the US, particularly the plight of Latino and Afro-American populations in rural centres. Not only were those histories and situations completely different than Canada, but the Canadian school system is set up on entirely different principles that do not relate. In addition, the prof still refuses to give any indication of length or depth expected in delving into these possible arguments (I've tried on three different occasions). I would pick just three or four main arguments, but there is not enough literature to cite numerous different people on each (or lots of different literature by the same person) and the prof has also randomly asked a couple of specific questions that she'd like worked in, which indicate the desire for a lot of detail and arguments. In addition, the argument the paper is supposed to make is directly opposed to what I actually believe and after consulting several other Canadian educators and profs have not gotten anything tht would help me make further headway. To date, I have tried about 10 different outlines and spent weeks on the thing.

pippi

MBTI Type
xxxx
Still very sure that the S/N thing isn't up for grabs. I don't relate well to most Ss, even though I've had to learn to deal with SJs quite regularly, so am improving at finding ways of presenting information so that they will be more receptive.

I think this problem of not ruling out extraneous information tends to happen more with subjects that I feel strongly about or care about. A research paper on something fairly straightforward with clear guidelines is really no big deal.

It's when I have a vision of what it should be, but it seems kind of like you can't actually touch it or get your hands on it - it's hazy in the distance, yet you have a very clear idea in mind of what you want. Kind of like a mirage or something. I'm not even sure I'm explaining this right. I find it's the same when I draw or write. I have this abstract image of what I want something to be, but am always disappointed with the pale and puny version of it in reality. I know enough to know whether I have it the way I want it or not, but can't get ahold of it well enough to recreate it outside my mind.
Hello, Ni.

The other time I have problems is when someone is asking me to write something from a standpoint that I truly can't agree with and when the parameters are not well defined. An example of this is a master's level final paper. I was supposed to write this paper, making a case for teaching Metis fiddle music across all Canadian schools, using multicultural theorists' writings to build my case. Unfortunately all of these writings very specifically referenced situations unique to the US, particularly the plight of Latino and Afro-American populations in rural centres. Not only were those histories and situations completely different than Canada, but the Canadian school system is set up on entirely different principles that do not relate. In addition, the prof still refuses to give any indication of length or depth expected in delving into these possible arguments (I've tried on three different occasions). I would pick just three or four main arguments, but there is not enough literature to cite numerous different people on each (or lots of different literature by the same person) and the prof has also randomly asked a couple of specific questions that she'd like worked in, which indicate the desire for a lot of detail and arguments. In addition, the argument the paper is supposed to make is directly opposed to what I actually believe and after consulting several other Canadian educators and profs have not gotten anything tht would help me make further headway. To date, I have tried about 10 different outlines and spent weeks on the thing.
Sounds like you are struggling for two reasons, the lack of structure or definition and because you don't believe in the premise. If you don't buy it, you can't sell it. Hello, Fe. Unfortunately it's your Fe that is blocking you. Would you find it easier to write a paper on the exact opposite premise? Are you dismissing your own arguments in your mind because you are unconsciously fighting for the other side?

A Te dom would say "Maybe something better will come along, but in the meantime this is the best I've got, I'll do as much with the studies as I can". Te doesn't have to believe, it can happily play devil's advocate. In fact the confirmation bias would kick in and the argument would revolve around whatever meager data there is to back it up.

Fidelia

Iron Maiden
Staff member
MBTI Type
INFJ
I think you're right. However, is that Fe or Fi? Isn't Fi about wanting to be true to your own beliefs (even in a hypothetical sense?). Or is it just that I'd feel like a fraud trying to make someone believe in something that I don't?

Definitely you're right about the Te dom thing.

pippi

MBTI Type
xxxx
I think you're right. However, is that Fe or Fi? Isn't Fi about wanting to be true to your own beliefs (even in a hypothetical sense?). Or is it just that I'd feel like a fraud trying to make someone believe in something that I don't?

Definitely you're right about the Te dom thing.
In the case of the paper you are writing, the conclusion will affect other people, not you, right? You don't want to put forward a case you don't believe will benefit others. So that could be Fe. You probably also have a pretty developed Fi. A lot of people have good use of both versions of their top two functions.

Synarch

Once Was
MBTI Type
ENTP
(I would say this could be also why I love nature so much. I feel a part of things, I feel and recognize my connection to the life around me...and hence don't necessarily feel alone.)

That's how I feel about nature, too.