• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

I can't figure out my mom at all

B

brainheart

I was thinking ENFP, then ESFP, then ENFJ, then ESFJ. Now I don't know. Maybe she's a T?

She says for sure she's an extrovert, and I believe that. She lights up whenever she is around people and spends all of her free time surrounded by others. She's one of those people who becomes best friends with the cashier while going through the line at the grocery store. And everyone loves her. I have never heard anyone ever bad mouth my mother.

When she was going back to college and took a career test, one of the professions it recommended was military general. (?!) One thing's for sure, she is obsessed with the Civil War, not only the primary moral issue of slavery, but also the battles- military tactics. She also worships Theodore Roosevelt for both his personality and his political views. I think she identifies with him. Her other hero is Pope John Paul II. (Pretty different men, I know. But that's my mom.)

Morality is huge for her. It pains her when people get divorced, not only for what it does to the individuals involved emotionally, but also because of what she considers to be the degradation of society, as well as the sin involved. She is very active in church, on the parish council, coordinating all kinds of events. And although the socialization aspect is part of why she participates, 'doing what is right' is the most important thing to her. She has very strong unalterable beliefs and values and nothing anyone says will ever change them. But that doesn't mean she isn't diplomatic in presenting those views, and she is willing to listen to others and respect others, even if she disagrees. She once told my husband she was 'more concerned about my soul than about my happiness'. But I don't know that she would ever say such a thing to me, for fear of hurting my feelings. (I'm not religious which worries her tremendously. My poor mommy. :cry:)

I make her sound very serious, which she is in her beliefs, but she is also very silly. She loves slapstick humor (think Naked Gun). Once on a trip she constructed a tri-cornered hat out of a newspaper, coupled with a newspaper sword. When we stopped she rested her foot on the guardrail, posing as if she were Washington crossing the Delaware as I took a photo. She loves to sing at the top of her lungs, not caring less that she doesn't have a great voice. She loves puns and telling jokes, the sillier the better.

She gets bored with things being the same ol', so she's always wanting to cook something different, try something different, go somewhere different. This drives my ISTJ dad insane, and it is the biggest source of their arguments. She can also be very spacey when she cooks- she's been cooking for a family for almost fifty years and dinner's never ready on time, there's never enough, and it never tastes all that great. It's pretty obvious her mind is somewhere else, or because she can't make what she wants to (something exotic), the motivation isn't there so it doesn't come together.

My mother is a terrific proofreader; she can spot a typo from a mile away. I remember when I was a kid and she complained to the grocery store manager about the 'ten items or less' signs posted at the express lanes. (It's supposed to be 'ten items or fewer'.) We are always pulling out the dictionary at the dinner table or an encyclopedia and she can get very nit-picky over language.

My mother doesn't read much fiction. She never really did until I was a child and she started to read what I was reading because she was curious. She says she was a poor reader when she was a child, and she always talks about what a slow reader she is. She doesn't consider herself to be very intelligent, but she is a terrific leader, terrific at giving speeches. She can really command a room. Her enthusiasm is contagious, and she is great at keeping people on topic and getting things accomplished. I think if she were from a later generation (and hadn't gotten married at the age of nineteen), it's possible she would have become a politician of sorts. She lives for her causes and she is extremely political. She was the president of the Young Democrats in college at the age of eighteen, met all the Kennedys, very involved in the Civil Rights movement, etc.

She also says she's a sanguine/choleric, for people who know about such things.

Any ideas? Sorry this is so long...

incubustribute

MBTI Type
ISFJ
You know, I usually try to go by functions first, individual letters later, but she sounds like she's DEFINITELY both E and F. Beyond that, it's hard for me to say.

I will say this though - be careful with typing based on religious views because there's a tendency to view these as a product of certain functions. You're perfectly entitled to believe that (if you do), but be prepared for a big argument. There are those who would say type (or any other personality-based psychological trait) is a product of spirituality.

But for the sake of staying on-topic with your post, I'll guess ENFP.

incubustribute

MBTI Type
ISFJ
You know, I usually try to go by functions first, individual letters later, but she sounds like she's DEFINITELY both E and F. Beyond that, it's hard for me to say.

I will say this though - be careful with typing based on religious views because there's a tendency to view these as a product of certain functions. You're perfectly entitled to believe that (if you do), but be prepared for a big argument. There are those who would say type (or any other personality-based psychological trait) is a product of spirituality.

But for the sake of staying on-topic with your post, I'll guess ENFP.

B

brainheart

My problem with ENFP is that her thinking tends to be so different than mine. It's like her beliefs are supported by what those whom she trusts have told her. For example, the concept that I have male friends that I go out with without my husband and my husband is okay with this completely freaks her out.

I can see ESFP, I guess, but she does talk about morality and values so much (which makes her seem like an SJ). And the reason she was attracted to my ISTJ dad was because he shared her values and he was so principled- this when she was nineteen. Is this something ESFPs care about?