• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

I'm Confused about my Type

nickia

MBTI Type
INFP
I've tried to type my personality using various questionnaire,and I'm 90% sure I'm an INXP but I have serious problem determining whether I'm a T or a F.

When I was a kid, I didn't share the common traits of INFP. I don't recalling day dreaming or living in a fantasy. I didn't like fiction or fantasy books. Instead, I loved biography, encyclopedia, and documentaries. I loved playing toy guns, tanks, or anything military related. I dislike fantasy themed books and movies such as Dragons, Magic, and etc. Instead, I prepare realistic movies with deep philosophical theme. Although I have to admit that I love cheesy comedy if I was watching it with friends.

Even though I can't say that I enjoy math, but I can pull a 80% without much difficulty. The subjects that I loved the best were English and Philosophy but it could be just that I had two teachers that I liked. I'm really good at computers although not at the level of those hardcore Computer Scientist. I'm probably one step below the hardcore CS guy and many steps above an average person.

I don't like making decision based on "gut" because it doesn't feel "safe". I like to at least do a minimal analysis before I make a decision.

As for the FEELING side, I don't know if it was part of me or I have developed it in the past few years since I had been reading books on Human Psychology and Social Etiquette. When I'm doing peer evaluation or grading someone, I would give that person a good mark even though he/she might not deserve it. I say to myself : "What can I gain by grading fairly or giving a harsh mark?"
When I fill out surveys, I dislike the one where you have 7 choices from Strongly Disagree to Strongly Agree. I prefer Agree/Neither/Disagree.

When I see a begger on the street, my first reaction is to open my wallet. However, this has changed because of parental and social influence where the general consensus is "Why give them money?"

I used to argue with my parents a lot when I was a kid. At those very moments, I truly believe that I was presenting logical arguments but they always dismissed me as "Arguing without reasons". I wish I have recordings so I can see whether I was being illogical or not.

I also have a strong sense in self-protection. When my parents hit me when I was a kid, I would literally fight back even though they are twice as big. I never let bullies walked over me no matter how big they are. I have this weird built-in mechanism where I will never attack anyone physically under any circumstances but I'd go nuts if anyone attacks me.

I don't understand what it means by "INFP dislikes conflicts". Of course, I prefer everyone to be harmonious and happy. Don't everyone feel the same? I wouldn't mind making concession just to make others happy.

I often "zone-out" when I'm driving or walking while chatting with someone. I will keep going forward until the other person comments "where are we/you going?" I'm not very good at symbols or patterns such as number patterns. I also have a hard time remember the maps or figuring out which direction (NWSE) I'm going.

I don't like bothering others. Sometimes I will just swallow the inconvenience than to confront them about it.

Sometimes I think I'm somewhat like an ISTP because I like fixing things, and I also like immediate result. I have many skills but I'm like a jack-of-all-trades.

I also tend to correct others but I've gotten it under control after reading social etiquette books.

I don't think I'm that left-brained because I have a good artistic balance. I'm not good at chess because I don't like to think ahead or analyze it.

I believe in spiritual power, astrology, tarot, UFO, and other things that an average typical INTP don't.

I'm really good at writing essays about deep philosophical issues. I can uncover the essence of an issue. However, sometimes the qualify of my works is compromised by my lackluster writing mechanics.

Charmed Justice

Nickle Iron Silicone
MBTI Type
INFJ
I didn't like fiction or fantasy books. Instead, I loved biography, encyclopedia, and documentaries.

I dislike fantasy themed books and movies such as Dragons, Magic, and etc. Instead, I prepare realistic movies with deep philosophical theme.

Although I have to admit that I love cheesy comedy if I was watching it with friends.

Even though I can't say that I enjoy math, but I can pull a 80% without much difficulty. The subjects that I loved the best were English and Philosophy but it could be just that I had two teachers that I liked. I'm really good at computers although not at the level of those hardcore Computer Scientist.

I don't like making decision based on "gut" because it doesn't feel "safe". I like to at least do a minimal analysis before I make a decision.

I say to myself : "What can I gain by grading fairly or giving a harsh mark?"

When I see a begger on the street, my first reaction is to open my wallet. However, this has changed because of parental and social influence where the general consensus is "Why give them money?"

I used to argue with my parents a lot when I was a kid. At those very moments, I truly believe that I was presenting logical arguments but they always dismissed me as "Arguing without reasons". I wish I have recordings so I can see whether I was being illogical or not.

I also have a strong sense in self-protection. When my parents hit me when I was a kid, I would literally fight back even though they are twice as big. I never let bullies walked over me no matter how big they are. I have this weird built-in mechanism where I will never attack anyone physically under any circumstances but I'd go nuts if anyone attacks me.

I don't like bothering others. Sometimes I will just swallow the inconvenience than to confront them about it.

I also like immediate result. I have many skills but I'm like a jack-of-all-trades.

I don't think I'm that left-brained because I have a good artistic balance. I'm not good at chess because I don't like to think ahead or analyze it.

I believe in spiritual power.....

I'm really good at writing essays about deep philosophical issues. I can uncover the essence of an issue.
I have no clue what your type is. But from all that I quoted you on above, you sound a lot like me. I prefer things that seem more realistic over fantasy as well; at least insofar as arts, entertainment, and education go.

You sound like a strong feeling type if you make decisions more based on what's going inside versus stated or implicit rules and regulations(logic).

Soar337

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
I came to a conclusion before I even finished the first paragraph (Sorry!)

I think you're an INTP, and this is only because you said that you liked to read encyclopedias and didn't really like fantasy.
I was obsessed with fantasy when I was younger. I did, and still do love to draw, create, look at various types of art, etc etc. It's such a huge part of me. I feel as I've gotten older and become more exposed to society, school and various types of people, that I have become very interested in how things work, the logical sides of things (when I can be bothered to think like this, because it doesn't come naturally) and I think this is because I want to understand everything around me as much as possible. This did lead me to thinking I was an INTP for a while..but I can see now that I'm so obviously not.

Ok, I just read your whole post ! :) You do have traits of an INFP, but the thing is (and i'm only going by my experience) is that I would go INSANE without being able to create, read a bit of fantasy every now and then..dream, delve into dark matters, la, la. All the usual. It's almost like a deep set need in me that I can never get rid of.

If you don't feel like this, then I think you are an INTP. You said you can go into a lot of detail and analyze things for essays, etc. However, I think you could be about 50% T, headed towards F. Hope this wasn't too confusing, and don't take my word for it!!! You know yourself better than I do...what do YOU believe you are, deep down?

nickia

MBTI Type
INFP
Thanks guys.

The reason that I think I might be a feeler is that Im Always more sympathetic than my peers. I felt sorry for the kids who got bullied in grade school. I always root for the underdog. I love to listen to people' emotional problem. I would love to be a counsellor if the Pay was better. I'd downplay my ability or lose in a game to make the other part feel better. A typical Thinker come across as " harsh " to me.

Maybe I do create fantasy because sometimes I'd dream of some terrorist nukes my city or school but often or not I realize it's not gonna happen. I'm somewhat drawn to people who need help. Rationally, I don't like this because I can be more successful if I align with the successful crowd.

Maybe I'm feeler with strong thinking?

phthalocyanine

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
9w1
Instinctual Variant
sx
yes, i think you could still be an INFP, for sure.

OrangeAppled

Sugar Hiccup
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I loathe fantasy and science fiction genres, although whimsical, romantic things appeal to me. That's a matter of taste anyway. Lots of INTPs like that fantasy stuff. Your reading tastes sound SJ to me more than anything.

The creative, dreamy side of me is a huge part of my identity, and I haven't heard any INFP who doesn't express getting lost in their imagination. Besides your interest in philosophy and UFO beliefs, you sound pretty grounded.

From this post, you seem to be a Feeler though, as every example shows you choosing to take a compassionate stance in dealing with people. You seem more concerned with "right and wrong" than "true and false".

Although, I'm seeing Fe over Fi in a lot of your choices. I don't hear much Ne as far as not analyzing much or seeing patterns. A person with Ne-aux is inclined to analyze the crap out of stuff, whether a T or an F.

Edit: These links are usually helpful. See which rings more true. And also look into all of the functions - you may not even be an INxP.

infp.globalchatter.com :: View topic - "The Introvert of Feeling-Type"

infp.globalchatter.com :: View topic - "The Introverted Thinking-Type"

nickia

MBTI Type
INFP
I loathe fantasy and science fiction genres, although whimsical, romantic things appeal to me. That's a matter of taste anyway. Lots of INTPs like that fantasy stuff. Your reading tastes sound SJ to me more than anything.

The creative, dreamy side of me is a huge part of my identity, and I haven't heard any INFP who doesn't express getting lost in their imagination. Besides your interest in philosophy and UFO beliefs, you sound pretty grounded.

From this post, you seem to be a Feeler though, as every example shows you choosing to take a compassionate stance in dealing with people. You seem more concerned with "right and wrong" than "true and false".

Although, I'm seeing Fe over Fi in a lot of your choices. I don't hear much Ne as far as not analyzing much or seeing patterns. A person with Ne-aux is inclined to analyze the crap out of stuff, whether a T or an F.

Edit: These links are usually helpful. See which rings more true. And also look into all of the functions - you may not even be an INxP.

infp.globalchatter.com :: View topic - "The Introvert of Feeling-Type"

infp.globalchatter.com :: View topic - "The Introverted Thinking-Type"

Thanks OrangeAppled.

Maybe I'm a IXXP.

OrangeAppled

Sugar Hiccup
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx

nickia

MBTI Type
INFP
Remember that P and J are not actually functions. Read about the functions, because the P & J stereotypes can mix you up. I mean, there are spontaneous Js and Ps who like to plan.

Have you tried a cognitive functions test? If anything, it can just give you an idea of how the functions are defined.

http://www.cognitiveprocesses.com/assessment/develop_old.html

Hi OrangeAppled,

I tried to do your test but I'm having problem answering all these questions!
I find it extremely hard to answer these questions objectively.

For example, "notice relevant facts in a sea of data before you ", I don't KNOW!!! I don't know if I notice relevant facts in a sea of data. I need some sort of comparison before I can answer these questions because they are so subjective. I mean, if I say I can run fast, it's an empty statement unless I compare my speed to something else such as a car or a child.

The kind of personality test that I find it easy to do is the one with scenario. I find it easier to give an answer when I can put myself into a scenario and make relevant decisions.

If you ask me, I will say I'm more of a tactician than a strategist. When I play games, I like micro-managing a small team and input specific actions. I also wanted to become an infantry or front-line officer rather than planning behind with a strategic map.

I'm also a violinist. I was drawn to violin not because of the music itself, but more of the fact that how those great violinists can move their fingers SO FAST with such precision. I want to be able to do that some day.

I like fixing problems and improving things.

BTW, I talked to one of friends who have known me for 7 years. I asked him about whether I'm a Thinker or a Feeler. He said it without hesitation that I'm a Thinker.:huh: Do I sound like a ISTP now?

Hazle Weatherfield

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
6w4
I think you're an INTP, and this is only because you said that you liked to read encyclopedias and didn't really like fantasy.
I was obsessed with fantasy when I was younger.

I did not like fantasy in particular, though it is an enjoyable genre. I think that is non-type related.

But I agree with the possible INTP typing because you remind me of my brother. He used to go on long walks in a black trench coat and police would stop him for no reason and search his army pack. RIDICULOUS! (boils my blood as we speak to even think of it) And he was also more into video games (though that could be related to his gender and the stereotype effects that boys are more likely to enjoy those types of video games in particular). But other things as well, as in THINKING about how you may respond socially. I think INFPs do this a slight less exaggerated. And I'd like to add that I grew up with an INTP father and an IXFJ mother and I think our father influenced us more than we really expected. So, when my type says INFP, I could be using some T left over from years ago.

William K

Uniqueorn
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
4w5
Instead, I prepare realistic movies with deep philosophical theme

What bugs you more? A plot that is ridiculous (uploading a computer virus from a Mac to the alien mothership, for example), or a character that is not believeable ("No one acts/reacts that way in real life")

nickia

MBTI Type
INFP
What bugs you more? A plot that is ridiculous (uploading a computer virus from a Mac to the alien mothership, for example), or a character that is not believeable ("No one acts/reacts that way in real life")

Probably a character that is not believable. I especially hate movies where the Hero can take down 1 platoon of soldiers while armed with a pistol that never run out of ammo.:jew:

I think reading novels is a waste of time. Instead, I read self-help books:p

simulatedworld

Freshman Member
MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
7w6
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
Probably a character that is not believable. I especially hate movies where the Hero can take down 1 platoon of soldiers while armed with a pistol that never run out of ammo.:jew:

I think reading novels is a waste of time. Instead, I read self-help books:p

You said like a total of one thing in the OP that would suggest INFP.

I think, based on OP, INTP is blatantly obvious.

Nigel Tufnel

MBTI Type
ENTP
INTP all the way

xNTPs can be sensitive to others, a lot of that can come from experience, not just MBTI type

Xenon

(blankpages)
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram

You chose 'character', but your example is really about plot. You're annoyed because the scenario you described is unrealistic and illogical (pistols do run out of ammo, and one person is unlikely to take down an entire platoon). These are logical, factual details, and aren't about the character's psychological motivations or reactions.

So, I don't see any reason to say you have a feeling preference based on that answer either.

I haven't read the whole thread yet though, so I have no overall opinion.

Last edited:

OrangeAppled

Sugar Hiccup
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Hi OrangeAppled,

I tried to do your test but I'm having problem answering all these questions!
I find it extremely hard to answer these questions objectively.

For example, "notice relevant facts in a sea of data before you ", I don't KNOW!!! I don't know if I notice relevant facts in a sea of data. I need some sort of comparison before I can answer these questions because they are so subjective. I mean, if I say I can run fast, it's an empty statement unless I compare my speed to something else such as a car or a child.

The kind of personality test that I find it easy to do is the one with scenario. I find it easier to give an answer when I can put myself into a scenario and make relevant decisions.

If you ask me, I will say I'm more of a tactician than a strategist. When I play games, I like micro-managing a small team and input specific actions. I also wanted to become an infantry or front-line officer rather than planning behind with a strategic map.

I'm also a violinist. I was drawn to violin not because of the music itself, but more of the fact that how those great violinists can move their fingers SO FAST with such precision. I want to be able to do that some day.

I like fixing problems and improving things.

BTW, I talked to one of friends who have known me for 7 years. I asked him about whether I'm a Thinker or a Feeler. He said it without hesitation that I'm a Thinker.:huh: Do I sound like a ISTP now?

Actually, yes, this sounds like ISxP to me now. Did you relate better to the introverted of feeling or thinking type descriptions?

I was actually going to suggest ISFJ before because I thought you had Fe, but maybe you're ISTP and sometimes relied on your inferior Fe too much (when sounds sort of inconsistent, now that I review it). ISTP sounds like the winning choice so far.

B

brainheart

Yeah, I'm not seeing N. A lot of this reminds me of my ISTP bro. A lot of what you say seems SJ to me, though, but I think ISTPs can seem like that, sometimes. I'm going for either ISTP or ISTJ, mainly because you remind me of both my brother and my dad, who's an ISTJ.

I don't know how a person could be an INFP and not fantasize- note I say nothing about fantasy, I dislike the fantasy genre as well. But fantasizing... HUGE. And not liking fiction? Fiction is my life's blood! (Although I guess I shouldn't speak for all INFPs.)

Ruthie

MBTI Type
?
I can relate to a lot of what you say. I'd look into ISTP or ISFP if I were you. I always scored N on the tests also, but could never relate to the NF or NT temperaments. You come across as a very grounded and - as you said - tactical. And I'm with you on the usefulness of that cognitive functions test... especially when it comes to the introverted intuition questions - they come across as downright mystical :)