• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Can ADD or Asperger's Syndrome influence how you test?

Sad Lounge

MBTI Type
ENFJ
Enneagram
?
Since I'm an ENFJ, you wouldn't think that I have Asperger's, but I do. I go to a school where pretty much all of my friends either have ADD/ADHD, Asperger's, or a combination of the two. It's been my experience, that in extreme cases, someone with Asperger's is usually an ISTJ or ISTP. Intellectual, logical & literal, detail-oriented, value structure and order, not very in touch with their emotions, and lacking social skills. Granted, this is not always the case, but I can assure you that there is a great likelihood that they will at the very least be IxTx. People with Introverted Thinking.

People with ADD/ADHD are most likely ExxP. The spontaneous, forgetful quality of Perceivers aligns perfectly with people with ADD. That could mean that ADD could be IxxP as well. Furthermore, since Asperger's is common for people who are ISTPs, it could then be said that, in the case of the ISTP, there is an overlap between ADD and Asperger's in the ISTP.

The Extraverts are more likely to have ADHD. Their hyperactivity is going to make them want to go out and do something with their ADHD friends, rather than stay inside and read a book. They're usually more Intuitive than Sensing. They're usually too distracted to focus on the details. However, there are other cases where the abstract, theoretical thinking of 'N's is exhausting for ADD people who just want simple facts.

These will definitely influence your type since it's part of your personality. If you took medication, it would change your type too. I like to think of these as cognitive differences rather than disabilities.

Most of what I said here is a generalization. It's not true all the time. They're just observations I've made.

"Do as you're told (unless told otherwise)"

compulsiverambler

Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
The Extraverts are more likely to have ADHD. Their hyperactivity is going to make them want to go out and do something with their ADHD friends, rather than stay inside and read a book.
My hyperactivity makes me want to go out and do things by myself, or just pace around in doors to help me think and to feel normal, and to fidget or sway constantly if staying in one spot. Hyperactivity just means motor restlessness. It's got nothing to do with whether your thoughts are oriented inwards or outwards, or how often you prefer to share experiences with others or how tiring this is, it's just about how active your body seems to want to be when you're doing whatever you're doing.

I will grant that the people who get diagnosed with ADHD are more likely to be particular types. As I suggested in another thread, a hyperactive extravert is more likely to get into trouble, because they aren't just moving their own body and causing some annoyance with that, as I do, they're impulsively affecting their environment in various ways (whereas I tend to be oblivious to my environment and to how much I'm moving).

Hyperactivity and impulsivity symptoms are likely to be more pervasively impairing and more noticeable to others if you're an extravert, because they'll manifest themselves in more socially conspicuous and physically dangerous ways than say, not reading instructions before starting to fill in forms or take an exam, accidentally double-booking appointments by agreeing before thinking to check, or impulse buying.

My guess is if you're an introvert, the hyperactive-impulsive symptoms will either be subclinical (in which case you'd be diagnosed with the predominantly inattentive subtype, which is far more often missed and diagnosed at an older age) or will cause significant distress but not so much in areas so apparent to others and again, won't be as likely to be correctly diagnosed.

And then of course there is the sub-category within the predominantly inattentive subtype characterised by no signs of hyperactivity or impulsivity at all. Some think the neurological underpinnings and cognitive profile of this are so different that it should be separated completely from ADHD. It's been dubbed Sluggish Cognitive Tempo.

This may have the opposite pattern: an introvert would appear to be more severely affected than an extrovert, because the extrovert would be more interested in the outside world despite struggling to keep up with it. Again though, both types could have it.

compulsiverambler

Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
Look at this poll on an ADHD forum. Every personality type was represented, including ISTJ. Looks pretty representative of the spread found in most fora actually.

MBTI Poll

PoprocksAndCoke

A Benign Tumor
MBTI Type
ENTP
Since I'm an ENFJ, you wouldn't think that I have Asperger's, but I do. I go to a school where pretty much all of my friends either have ADD/ADHD, Asperger's, or a combination of the two. It's been my experience, that in extreme cases, someone with Asperger's is usually an ISTJ or ISTP. Intellectual, logical & literal, detail-oriented, value structure and order, not very in touch with their emotions, and lacking social skills. Granted, this is not always the case, but I can assure you that there is a great likelihood that they will at the very least be IxTx. People with Introverted Thinking.

People with ADD/ADHD are most likely ExxP. The spontaneous, forgetful quality of Perceivers aligns perfectly with people with ADD. That could mean that ADD could be IxxP as well. Furthermore, since Asperger's is common for people who are ISTPs, it could then be said that, in the case of the ISTP, there is an overlap between ADD and Asperger's in the ISTP.

The Extraverts are more likely to have ADHD. Their hyperactivity is going to make them want to go out and do something with their ADHD friends, rather than stay inside and read a book. They're usually more Intuitive than Sensing. They're usually too distracted to focus on the details. However, there are other cases where the abstract, theoretical thinking of 'N's is exhausting for ADD people who just want simple facts.

These will definitely influence your type since it's part of your personality. If you took medication, it would change your type too. I like to think of these as cognitive differences rather than disabilities.

Most of what I said here is a generalization. It's not true all the time. They're just observations I've made.

"Do as you're told (unless told otherwise)"

I'm on medication for ADD and I'm a J but often mistyped as a P. I'm obsessed with neatness, love organizing things, grammar, want everything to be in its place, but get distracted before it's ever done:boohoo:.

nynesneg

MBTI Type
ENFJ
Enneagram
3w2
/me gives you a hug.

I'll come organize with you! We can put on some music and have a grand time talking in the process. :D I'm so bored I don't want to write this paper on Capitalism! Seems like a waste of my time, and the questions are confusing.

PoprocksAndCoke

A Benign Tumor
MBTI Type
ENTP
/me gives you a hug.

I'll come organize with you! We can put on some music and have a grand time talking in the process. :D I'm so bored I don't want to write this paper on Capitalism! Seems like a waste of my time, and the questions are confusing.

You're sweet.:hug:

nynesneg

MBTI Type
ENFJ
Enneagram
3w2
Not really, just trying to barter to find a way to get someone to help me with my own things I'm procrastinating on. :devil: jk.

PoprocksAndCoke

A Benign Tumor
MBTI Type
ENTP
Not really, just trying to barter to find a way to get someone to help me with my own things I'm procrastinating on. :devil: jk.

Kidding on the square;).
I only don't procrastinate when everything's clean.
Maybe you should clean up that closet(=
I never clean my closet, hypocritical me.

Walking Tourist

it's tea time!
MBTI Type
esfp
Enneagram
I'm not on medication but, in every other way, you sound like my clone. I want everything to be organized but I get way too distracted to actually get it done. And I love grammar and words and pictures and...
look a bird...
I'm easily distracted by my overly active imagination.
There isn't actually a bird in the house.
:devil:

I'm on medication for ADD and I'm a J but often mistyped as a P. I'm obsessed with neatness, love organizing things, grammar, want everything to be in its place, but get distracted before it's ever done:boohoo:.

PoprocksAndCoke

A Benign Tumor
MBTI Type
ENTP
I'm not on medication but, in every other way, you sound like my clone. I want everything to be organized but I get way too distracted to actually get it done. And I love grammar and words and pictures and...
look a bird...
I'm easily distracted by my overly active imagination.
There isn't actually a bird in the house.
:devil:

There's a devil in your house. I'm scared.