• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Need help understanding Cognitive Test results - ENFJ/ESFJ

~~ENFJ~~

MBTI Type
ENFJ
There's no question that I am a solid ENFJ. Every time I've ever taken any test over the last 10 years, that's what I come up with. The explanation fits me to a T. The Cognitive Test thinks I'm an ESFJ based on my responses. That doesn't make sense to me, though, because it gives me an S score of 13.8 and 32.3 while it gives me an N score of 32.4 and 21.3.

Will someone please explain it or point me to links that will explain it on a basic level? I don't have any previous knowledge about the Se/Si/Ne/Ni/Te/Ti/Fe/Fi designations so I probably need the 101 version.

Cognitive Process Level of Development (Preference, Skill and Frequency of Use)
extraverted Sensing (Se) ************* (13.8)
unused
introverted Sensing (Si) ******************************** (32.3)
good use
extraverted Intuiting (Ne) ******************************** (32.4)
good use
introverted Intuiting (Ni) ********************* (21.3)
limited use
extraverted Thinking (Te) *************************** (27.9)
average use
introverted Thinking (Ti) ***************** (17.6)
limited use
extraverted Feeling (Fe) ************************************************ (48.7)
excellent use
introverted Feeling (Fi) ********************************************** (46.6)
excellent use

Two Point Two

MBTI Type
INTJ
It's selected Fe as your highest function, and Si as the strongest of Si and Ni. Fe then Si is the order for ESFJ; Fe Ni for ENFJ.

I wouldn't worry too much about it, though, if you are otherwise confident of your type.

Edited to add: I do recommend looking into some descriptions of the cognitive functions, just to make sure that ENFJ is what you identify with best, rather than, say, ENFP (You're high on Ne and Fi) or ESFJ. But don't let one test's results worry you too much specifically - these tests seem rarely to show results that are strictly in keeping with any types prescribed order.

~~ENFJ~~

MBTI Type
ENFJ
It isn't that I am trying to figure out my type. There's no question that I'm an ENFJ. I am trying to understand the test and what its component parts are. What's Se/Fe etc and how does it take those preferences and turn them into a type. Based on 2.2's response, I'm guessing that it determines the strongest function (in my case extroverted --but is it everyone's strongest extroverted function or just everyone's strongest function?) and then it chooses the next strongest of the opposite function(in my case--and maybe everyone's?--introverted). Am I in the ballpark?

If I am, why must you have an extroverted with an introverted? Why does the fact that I have stronger extroverted results not get me an extroverted/extroverted response?

I'm trying to understand the test itself.

Usehername

On a mission
ENFJ functions should be:
Fe
Ni
Se
Ti

Si "should" be abysmally low for you, not Ni. :) You clearly score ESFJ. Your test probably also gave you ISFJ as an option (primarily an Si user, with Fe use), or maybe INFP (primarily an Fi user, with Ne use).

If MBTI was be all end all, there'd be almost no chance of you being an NFJ, you'd be an SFJ, maayybee an NFP. But as MBTI is only a flawed theory that's where it ends and ultimately you're the best judge. :) :yes: Though I would suggest you read this before you rule out being nothing but ENFJ, because an overwhelming percentage of sensors who do the online tests only come out as Ns because the online questions are quite flawed. None of this misinformation is your fault, it's stuff that you only find out when you start to pick apart the details. :) The people who make the online tests aren't very good at it (not saying I could do better, only that they kind of suck).

Happyman

MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
4w5
why must you have an extroverted with an introverted? Why does the fact that I have stronger extroverted results not get me an extroverted/extroverted response?

I'll make a big simplification: every person needs both extroverted and introverted functions. It's like.. how you 'perceive' what surrounds you (on what you focus) and how you later analyse it. If your main focus is on the external (in your case Fe, that makes you an extrovert) then you also need a internal second function to support the first one.
Also remember it's all about preferences. You have a quite strong Ne, so you perceive yourself as an N (I'd guess you can sometimes use it to gather things about surroundings).

The cognitive test you took (as Two Point Two has said before) looks for the strongest pair. In your case it was Fe-Si. The other very strong one is: Fi-Ne, so I'd guess that your test proposed also you being INFP.

Humpf... I may have over-simplified this. NTs - help! ;) Anyway, I hope it helps.

Usehername

On a mission
I'll make a big simplification: every person needs both extroverted and introverted functions. It's like.. how you 'perceive' what surrounds you (on what you focus) and how you later analyse it. If your main focus is on the external (in your case Fe, that makes you an extrovert) then you also need a internal second function to support the first one.
Also remember it's all about preferences. You have a quite strong Ne, so you perceive yourself as an N (I'd guess you can sometimes use it to gather things about surroundings).

The cognitive test you took (as Two Point Two has said before) looks for the strongest pair. In your case it was Fe-Si. The other very strong one is: Fi-Ne, so I'd guess that your test proposed also you being INFP.

Humpf... I may have over-simplified this. NTs - help! ;) Anyway, I hope it helps.

You've got it right.

Her top types options should be:

ESFJ: Fe, Si, Ne, Ti
ISFJ: Si, Fe, Ti, Ne
INFP: Fi, Ne, Si, Te
ENFP: Ne, Fi, Te, Si

She is a prototypical ESFJ scorer with heavy feeling preference. Highest Fe, Si very high supporting it, and Ne well developed which makes her think she's an N when really she's likely quite the ESFJ extravert with a feeling preference who has only taken online tests (which are known for Ss scoring as Ns) but never the real administered MBTI.

Her score is telling her that ENFJ (Fe, Ni, Se, Ti) is not an option worth considering, because her Ni/Se scores are so low. She's not an Ni/Se user, she's an Ne/Si user.

She could likely be SFJ, she could likely be NFP, but she is highly unlikely to be NFJ or SFP because her Ne/Si scores are high and her Se/Ni scores are so low.

~~ENFJ~~

MBTI Type
ENFJ
OK, I'm understanding the most rudimentary level. More explanations definitely welcome!

I read the descriptions of ESFJ and ENFP today and both fit a lot, but there are certain things that are just totally not me. For example, I appreciate and value the below statement:

"ESFJs who have had the benefit of being raised and surrounded by a strong value system that is ethical and centered around genuine goodness will most likely be the kindest, most generous souls who will gladly give you the shirt off of their back without a second thought."

The reality is that I wouldn't give the shirt off my back, but would get you in touch with the people and places and help you to get a shirt of your own. I'd be making phone calls, sending emails, driving you some place or bringing it back to you. Then I'd think to myself about all the other people without shirts and how I could get shirts to them, plan a huge campaign and call everyone to try to get it going and have plans on how many people will be blessed and will name the ministry after you, only to be met with people saying they like the idea but are too busy and haven't gotten around to doing what they said they would and deadlines passing and the reality of it fading, and me feeling rejected and frustrated and getting negative about not fitting in anywhere and wondering what it is about me that didn't make it happen when other people could.

There are little things like that that just don't fit on both the ESFJ or ENFP profiles. I think it is more likely that my mood combined with that test led to an off score for me.

When I was administered the MBTI, I came up as INFJ. There's no way I'm an introvert and the psych agreed, saying it was extremely close to the borderline between E and I, and she changed it to ENFJ. The questions about parties were answered as draining me which presumably led to the I over E. I am excited to go to them, but take on so many worries of others while there and feel left out that it hurts my feelings or wears me down, which is why I say parties are draining. Places where I'm understood and simply able to be myself, I am energized and excited, but there aren't many of those places around.

Most explanations I've read online out of personal interest as nothing was done in follow-up to the written test. I haven't read much, as is probably clear by my questions.

Anyway, more explanations of the test are definitely welcome, as are other comments you wish to add!

proteanmix

Plumage and Moult
Enneagram
1w2
Hey, I understand your dilemma.

ESFJ profiles suck. You're supposed to want to be a nurse and/or teacher, and have 12 babies (each one named after a Disciple and one those will be an N child who will betray you) for the Lord. You're also histrionic, illogical, uninquisitive, bossy, obtuse, and obsessed with your pencils being straight or something. And when people are *trying* to say something nice about your type, it's really 1-D and silly, nothing meaty or substantial. You have no insights into people, you only see there most basic needs, you have no interiority or introspection towards yourself.

I went through the same thing when I first got here, but it's whatever. I would have to agree with Userhername; your scores indicate ESFJ but you know, ultimately you will be the one to decide.

Here's my old thread if it helps. :)

BlackCat

Shaman
MBTI Type
ESFP
Enneagram
9w8
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Here are the best ESFJ/ENFJ profiles I've seen- it gets into their thought process and such. It's not very stereotypical, it comes from interviewing people.

ESFJ
ENFJ

Two Point Two

MBTI Type
INTJ
I'm not sure that this site's descriptions are the best, but it's a place to start getting your head around the functions:

Extraverted Feeling

Links to the other processes are under the description of extroverted feeling.

If you have a look at introverted sensing, introverted intuition, extroverted sensing and extroverted intuition, and estimate the extent to which you use each, you'll be better set to evaluate your type.