• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Help me type my husband

B

brainheart

Hey, I don't know why I can't figure it out. He seems so straight-forward, and yet I can't find a type to fit him.

He's taken an online test and gotten ISTP. I gave him the test in the Keirsey book and he was 50/50 on everything except feeling, he got 100%. When I gave him the results, he said, "Ask me again, and I will answer every question differently. I could answer yes either way."

Okay, I know this much about him. He is absolutely an S. In many ways he fits the Artisan temperament, but he also fits into a lot of guardian qualities. In a lot of ways the ISTP description fits him, except he is very 'feely'. He is always talking about his feelings with me, telling me every single thought that comes to mind, like there's no internal filter. He'll tell me how someone said something nice to him and he'll be getting misty-eyed when he says it. What he considers to be good movies or TV shows or songs (or thrilling moments in sports) can make him cry.

He is never alone, except when he is in the car, and then he's either talking on the phone or blaring music. He knows tons of people and is very likeable, but he doesn't go out of his way to meet people, especially if they don't share his interests. When we are at large social functions, he keeps to the people he knows. He can't understand how I like to spend so much time alone. It worries him. And if his friends come over and I don't hang out with them, he can feel slighted sometimes.

He is obsessed with skateboarding and his social life pretty much revolves around it. His only friends who don't skate are the ones he met in his fraternity in college, but they are not 'typical' frat boys, for the most part. He loves to have fun. Having fun and being happy are extremely important, as is being a good skateboarder and landing technical tricks. Depression or negative feelings almost seem to frighten him.

His job has to do with diagnosing and fixing problems in large multi-million dollar printers. He likes solving the problems, but he always complains about the stupid people he deals with. Yet he is also good with dealing with people and has the best people skills of anyone in his department. His customers are always satisfied with him.

He has had the same interests his whole life. He is not all that interested in trying new things, although he is not opposed to it. But he definitely knows what he likes and is happy with that. It is all action-based or music-based. He reads maybe one book a year. If he sits down for too long without engaging external stimuli he starts to fall asleep.

He loves holidays, especially Valentine's Day. Family celebrations and being with family is important to him. He loves to reminisce. He and everyone else in his family love to tell the same stories over and over. Reliving happy memories never gets old. Traditions are important. He freaked when we were getting married and I said I was considering not changing my name. He couldn't understand at all why I wouldn't want to, like it was this big personal insult. And it's 'something you just do'.

But at the same time, he can be very open-minded. He has a number of openly gay friends and he is totally comfortable with that and isn't discriminatory toward them in any way. He doesn't like superfluous laws and sees no need to follow rules or regulations 'just because', especially if it makes no sense or isn't practical or logical.

Hopefully this is enough to base something on. Any insights would be appreciated.

SolitaryPenguin

MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
9w1
It sounds like the test was right with ISTP, but that T/F split is probably pretty close.

Charmed Justice

Nickle Iron Silicone
MBTI Type
INFJ
XSFP
Does he usually make decisions based on all the feelings he lets out? Are his actions more or less a reflection of his feelings? Does he try to be diplomatic with people when he speaks, or does he just say whatever he thinks?

Also, he sounds like an extrovert to me, seeing as he can't understand why you like to be alone so much.

Poki

MBTI Type
STP
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
Sounds SP for sure. How about a more reserved ESxP? If the company he keeps is really all he needs to enjoy life, he may not have a desire to keep searching for more new people.

I dont know what an ESTP is like when he is really close to someone so I dont know how much of a feeler they can be. Songs and stuff can really hit me and make me tear up. Not really cry like most people think, but tear up.

B

brainheart

The geocities description of ESTP actually fits him quite well, I've decided. (The first one, not the Keirsey one.) I think I get thrown because he has extraverted feeling vs my Fi, so it can seem so much more obvious and blatant to me. Yet he is also more likely to make these generalities about people or criticize people he works with and then I will defend them. So Fe vs Fi, for sure.

And yeah, he tears up regularly, not crying, poki. Although when the Denver Broncos won the super bowl in 1997, he bawled. It's weird because it seems like he tears up way more than me. I keep it all inside, except every once in awhile when I'm by myself.

The big thing is that he is task-oriented when it comes to work and for most of his socializing. He complains when his friends want to sit around and shoot the shit vs skateboarding. He likes doing stuff with his friends, not necessarily talking. Talk to set something up, yes. Not set something up to talk.

OrangeAppled

Sugar Hiccup
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I think ESxP. Sounds like an extrovert overall. Particularly sounds like ESFPs I know in many ways. Any type may have a reason for valuing certain traditions.

Charmed Justice

Nickle Iron Silicone
MBTI Type
INFJ
My understanding is that ESXPs are often traditional, even though they are open-minded. That's why they are frequently attracted to SJs. ESTPs are more "traditional" than ESFPs from my understanding.

incubustribute

MBTI Type
ISFJ
Oh man, this sounds almost identical to me. Maybe it's just ISFJ bias, but I really think he's ISFJ. His dominant function has a few different implications. Si, on one level, is the "play it safe" function. He values tradition, and like you said, he's had the same interest in things his whole life and doesn't usually like to try new things. That's soooo Si. His constantly talking about his feelings in an open and outward manner is total Fe, that's probably his secondary function. It sounds like his Fe also stems from his Si (a perfect indicator for ISFJ); and I say that mostly because it sounds like his outer vocalizations of his feelings are a direct result of his inner sensory perception (Si). Being displeased with people not doing their job correctly is very xSFJ - I find myself doing that allllllll the time. "WHY is he not GOING AT THE GREEN LIGHT?!!?!?!" I think maybe there's a sliiiiight chance he's ESFJ, but only because you seem to accentuate his Fe function more so than his Si mode. But I'm gonna stick with ISFJ. Tell me what you think :yes: