• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Help type my big brother? :)

GirlFromMars

MBTI Type
INFP
OK, whatever type he is, he is awesome. We get on really well (granted we don't see each other very much these days) and our personalities gel well. I'll try my best to give details, here's just some random facts:

- He's mostly very quiet. He's very laid-back, and don't do chit-chat. To quote him - "I only really talk when I actually have something to say" He doesn't do "how was your day", talk about the weather, etc. very well. But when he gets onto a subject that interests him, he could talk for hours, and talks very passionatly. The subkects are usually deep, like religion, politics, the meaning of life and such.

- He loves his music. He enjoys a bit of this and that, but his favorite band is Pink Floyd, and most of the artists he likes seems to be on the deep side again. They usually have something to say, not just noise.

- He enjoys reading - usually books on religion and politics, or biographies.

- He doesn't go out all that much. Enjoys his quiet times in. Granted he has a wife and 5-year-old child, so it's not like he can go out partying every night anyway. But he has never been the clubbing/hardcore partying type. Doesn't have a very wide circle of friends. And have a handful of friends who he's close to, but doesn't seem to feel the need to see them all that often. I know he'd rather a quiet drink in a pub to a big bash-up. Atlough he doesn't have a huge circle of friends, he's very well liked by quite a lot of people if that makes sense?

- LOVES his gadgets, and is very clever with them. If anyone has a problem with a gadget he;s the one to go to. He loves anything techie. He built his own computer, and did all this fancy stuff with a remote where he could work a few things by using just that remote - I don't know! But he can just take a computer apart and 9 times out of 10 fix it. My mum laughs and says as a teenager she never saw him because he'd be locked in his room on his computer.

- He admits when his feelings are hurt, when a movie made him cry, etc. he is pretty open about his emotions and doesn't seem to need to put on any "macho" type act.

- He's very loyal, and is very quick to stick up for those he cares for. Have always known him to be in a relationship. Like 3 serious ones since I was a kid. He's now married.

- My mum and his wife laughs/complains about how messy he is. He's deffo the "I'll do it later" type.

- Dresses in casual t-shirt and jeans type clothing, or a nice shirt and jeans when going out somewhere a bit more fancy. Will make sure he scrubs up somewhat if going out, but if not doesn't really care.

- Can be moody and stand-odffish at times, but once people get to know him they usually love him and say what a great guy he is.

- Is mostly laid-back, but if pushed can get a bit of a tempter on him. I've seen him get angry a of times , but it's rare, and is usually to protect someone else. In the average disagreement he's pretty "stick to your guns" kinda type. It can be hard to make him see another's point of view. He'll have a good debate, and enjoys it, but it's almost like he gives off a vibe like "I've made my mind up, and that's that"

Any ideas from that info?

NewEra

MBTI Type
I
I would say either INFP or INTP. The openness about feelings, and the moodiness indicate F.

incubustribute

MBTI Type
ISFJ
The mechanic mentality would seem to indicate some combination of Se and Ti, which gives an MBTI of either ISTP or ESTP. The question is which one is more prominent. Does he generally make decisions first and then perceive the way the world reacts, or does he perceive the world and then make decisions based on his perceptions? Given the mechanic mentality, I think the latter makes more sense. Using Se as dominant means he notates his outer world based on Sensory details, and then uses his Ti to make internal decisions on what to do based on logical processes. Hence the mechanic mentality. Very ESTP. I think the Fe you're describing - his ability to "talk about his feelings" - may just be a result of a really well developed tertiary function.

/DG/

silentigata ano (profile)
Well, whatever type he is, he's definitely introverted. I'm thinking possibly ISFP.

/DG/

silentigata ano (profile)
Haha...oops. That's what I get for not paying attention...ok so, this is not YOUR brother, but what specifically makes you think introverted? I'm just curious...

These parts made me think introvert.

- He's mostly very quiet. He's very laid-back, and don't do chit-chat. To quote him - "I only really talk when I actually have something to say"
Typical introvert thing.

- He enjoys reading - usually books on religion and politics, or biographies.
This is an introverted activity.

- He doesn't go out all that much...
It is typical for an introvert to have few, but close friends and to like spending quiet time at home.

In my opinion, I really didn't see anything that indicated extravert.

incubustribute

MBTI Type
ISFJ
I think you're probably right actually. Although "not going out much" is really the only conclusive thing on there. I know tons of E's who spend their energy alone reading about politics, religion, history, etc. and recharge by being with people. Inversely, I'm moderately introverted, but I have a sort of awkward/talkative mode that I go into around people. When I'm around more polarized I's it becomes VERY obvious to me and I feel extremely awkward around them. Like, if I get chatty around my INTJ drummer, eventually I'll notice that he's in Ni mode and I'll have to stop talking because he's in Ni mode, and I feel like an idiot. :doh: My point is, I'm an introvert and in no way would I ever "only talk when I actually have something to say."

But I still think you're right about introversion. :yes:

I went back and read the OP's post a few more times, and I'm thinking now he's probably INFP. He definitely strikes me as the 'NF idyllic' and I'm not seeing the deep self-questioning type that constantly needs another perspective from which to look at things that might indicate INFJ. I'm definitely noticing more Fi and Ne at work with the passion about the politics and religion and other "deep stuff" he reads about.

I was originally basing most of my conclusions off of the 'techie' section of the post, which is why I came up with ESTP, but I think really any type can be that way if it serves their needs.

Does he always attach a "good vs. evil" theme with the books that he reads? My mom is INFP and that's something she does a lot, and it's really fascinating to me. That would be a good indicator.

incubustribute

MBTI Type
ISFJ
But when he gets onto a subject that interests him, he could talk for hours, and talks very passionatly.

I don't see this in INTP's. They might sit on a typology forum and WRITE passionately for hours, but not talk out loud.

He admits when his feelings are hurt, when a movie made him cry, etc. he is pretty open about his emotions and doesn't seem to need to put on any "macho" type act.

Again, very not INTP. In fact, Fe is inferior, so I don't see this happening.