• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Some confusion with typing myself (Mainly E vs I)

Yloh

MBTI Type
ENFJ
Hello everybody! :hi:

This is a VERY long thread, so I will bold the main points if you don't want to read all of the details.

First of all, at the beginning of this summer I took some MBTI tests online and consistently scored an ENFJ. Being interested in the results I read the ENFJ profile and felt like it was pretty accurate. The tests I took was the one on facebook and the one below.

Personality test based on Jung - Myers-Briggs typology

The results from the link above gave me a strong E and F and a weak N and J.

After that, I wanted to learn more about MBTI, which lead me to the discovery of this site. This site has been great so far and leaning about the functions (Fe, Fi, Te, Ti, Ne, Ni, Se, and Si) has been very fun and informative.

People on this site often say the tests listed above are the worst ones, so I decided to take another one. I found this thread below.

http://www.typologycentral.com/foru...15-what-s-most-accurate-mbti-test-s-free.html

I took the test on that thread and got an INFJ. I got a weak I and J and a strong N and F.

I've taken some other tests online and either get an ENFJ or an INFJ. The E, I, and J are weak, while N and F are strong.

On top of that I've read the profile of the INFJ, ENFP, INFP, ESFJ, and ISFJ and found that I could relate to every one of those with the exception of the ISFJ.

As you can see, I am confused about what I should type myself.

I know 100% I'm a F and a weak J. I'm pretty confident I'm over all an N, even though I do have some S qualities about me. What I'm truly confused about is if I'm really an E or an I.

That is why I'm here giving you people all of this information about my story. Below are some examples of how I am, so you guys/girls will have an easier time helping me out. I won't go into any details about the F and J because I am very confident I'm those.

With E vs I.

With friends I'm very outgoing and expressive. Alone, even in public places, I'm very quite and calm.

As a child I was very quiet, but excitable. I really didn't have many friends back then, but the friends I had were very close. In high school, however, I began to love getting all the attention. Speaking in front of the class began to be very fun for me. I love the attention and would even do crazy things to get it. This would include dancing like a ballerina, rapping (like crap), and other outrageous acts to get the attention.

The way I have acted back in high school is pretty consistent with the way I act today.

When I am alone or with a friend, I'm VERY quiet. I'm so quiet I could be in the same room as you and you wouldn't even know it. When I'm visiting my parents they will often ask "Is Michael in the house?" and I'll often respond "No". Heck, they have even done this with me in the SAME room.

I use to be super shy as a child and am still kind of shy today. When I'm alone I find it very difficult to approach a new person. When a new person does approach me, it is easy for me to talk to them. It takes a lot of courage for me to approach a new person (especially a girl) and start a conversation with them. Most of the time I can keep the conversation going (and never shut up), but if the subject is something of little to no interest to me, it is almost impossible to get me to talk. If I'm interested in a subject I know very little about, then I'll ask a ton of questions and listen to every detail.

When I'm with a group of friends I go CRAZY. I mean I'm a SUPER extrovert and am my total opposite. I am NEVER shy when I'm with my friends. I will do all sorts of crazy things around strangers entertaining my friends, which makes me happy. Pretty much something gets started, I get excited, and the energy just expands with every act. Shutting me up is almost impossible when I get started.

My cousin has said I have the rule of three. When there there is just me and one other person, I'm very calm and quite. When ONE more person comes in making the total number of people into three, I go into super excited, talkative, and crazy mode. As soon as the person leaves, I go into calm mode again. It is really funny how it works. Of course, I need to know at least two people in the group in order for me to act this way.

Some people say I have a complicated personality and am hard to read. What is funny is I'll tell some one about a girl I like, and they would tell me they would have no clue that I had ANY interested in that person.

People who do TRULY know me, can pretty much know how I will act in almost any given situation. The problem is, not many people TRULY know me. It isn't that I'm dishonest or closed, but most people only get to see one side of me. When they do see my other side, they are pretty shocked.

I have both a large circle of acquaintances, but only a few friends that I truly put my time and effort into.

Overall, I feel I am more extroverted than introverted (as I feel like I can relate to the ENFJ and ENFP more than the INFJ and INFP), but even then I still wonder. I gather energy from both going out and by staying alone. I really don't loose energy from both situations. What does happen with the public is I may get really board after a while and want to spend some time alone. On the other side, I can get a little anxious when I'm alone for TOO long.

Its like I have every quality from both worlds, so it is almost impossible to come to a conclusion about if I'm an extrovert or introvert. Heck, I kind of wish they had an ANFJ for ambivert.

With N vs S.

By reading this thread, you can see there are many details. That would give you the sense that I'm a S. Heck, when I describe things to people and/or answer a question I tend to be very detailed oriented (If I'm really into the subject, other wise I'll just give a general response). On the contrary, I can see the over all pattern very quickly. I was always very good with math, science, and heck even video games because I am able spot patterns quicker than almost everybody I know. Understanding the big picture has always been easy for me and, in terms of a work setting, seeing the big picture helps me understand my role better (It helps me understand the details of my position).

I learn best by doing and by seeing. I know mechanical learning is my best way of learning, why visual is my second best method of learning. If I'm not mistaking those ways of learning are sensing or at least the mechanical learning is.

When introduced to a new person, I remember everything about them except their name. To remember their names, I normally associate their names with other people or fictional characters with the same name. Don't know if that helps any.

There are many intuitive subjects that are very interesting to me. Subjects such as religion, philosophy, meanings, ideas, psychology, art, and symbolism.
Funny thing is while I love these subjects, I don't care to study the people behind these subjects. What I mean by that is I don't care about what Plato has done or about the history of Leonardo. What I truly love is the concepts, ideas, and symbolism behind these subjects. With religion, however, I do put the time and effort into learning every detail.

I very often day dream and think about the future. While I can live and appreciate the present, thinking about tomorrow helps me make wise decisions today. Making wise decisions yesterday helps me live a better life today.

I'm very analytical, period. I'm also very abstract and understand abstract subjects very easily.

My parents told me as a child I hated change. In fact, even today, once I get settled into a lifestyle it can be hard for me to make some major changes. While I am very open to change today, it still takes effort on my part to make that change happen. Funny thing is, after many changes, I appreciate and LOVE those changes and learn a whole lot from them. To make things simple, it is hard to get me started, but easy to get me finished.

I have a very good long term memory (Better than just about everybody I know), which I believe is an Si quality.

I'm a very DEEP person. When I'm in a serious discussion with someone or a group on a subject I have passion for, I will go all the way. Almost every person who gets to see my serious side will say I'm a very deep person.

I often like to use analogies when teaching other people.

In conclusion, with the information above I would like to know what you people think. I am very new to MBTI and there is still a LOT I don't understand. I've been saying I'm an ENFJ on here, but I don't want to continue saying I'm an ENFJ if that isn't true. From reading other people's responses, it seems like some people are really good at typing others just by reading what they have to say. Ask your questions and I'll answer them to the best of my ability. Thank you so much for taking you time to read this as I can be VERY wordy.

Have a nice day! :hi:

G

Glycerine

Sounds a lot like me... I am leaning more towards ENFJ for you because I keep getting the impression that INFJs (generally I's) aren't too keen on being the center of attention. It also sounds like you come alive when you are around people even though you are shy. I's, on the other hand, tend to get drained. On appearing S like, most of your post screamed N to me. ENFJs tend to think that they are very detail-oriented/sensorish because they have tertiary Se. I highly doubt that you are INFJ but ENFJ seems like the best fit.

Lauren Ashley

Revelation
MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Well your E vs. I is sounding a lot more like ENFJ than INFJ. So I'll go with ENFJ.

Yloh

MBTI Type
ENFJ
Thank you so much for your help. Sometimes I forget the basic principle of extroverts gaining energy from groups and introverts gaining energy from being alone.

The main reason why I even questioned myself being an extrovert is because I am a totally different person alone. I don't show my quiet side when I'm with my friends and I kind of felt like that was the TRUE me. Because I have trouble showing my TRUE self when I'm with my friends, I kind of questioned myself being an extrovert. Also I'm a little shy, but I warm up fast. Also compaired to just about every other extrovert I know, I'm not nearly as initiating as they are. Its funny because when I'm with my friends, I suddendly gain a tremendous amount of courage and chrasmia. I think this happens because I use my friends as a shield. Because of this fact, I felt like I wasn't a true extrovert. Other extroverts don't seem to need their friends to help them be initiating, but for some reason I do.

Also I never felt like I loose energy when I'm alone for too long. I truly feel like I have some introverted qualities about me as I highly value alone time.

After thinking about it more last night and this morning, I do show my true and deep self with my friends. I just suddendly gain a tremendous amount of energy when I'm around them. I also have just about every strength and weakness of a typical extrovert.

Anyways, if anybody else has anything else to say, I'm more than happy to read your comments.

AphroditeGoneAwry

failure to thrive
MBTI Type
INfj
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
Hi Yloh! Welcome. There aren't many enfjs here, so that's awesome. Acting crazy in a group is pretty 'e' imo. To help explain why you are quiet when alone or with one other person only, might be best explained by Lenore Thompson. She is also into personality typing with Jungian roots. Sometimes looking to her can help when MBTI seems lacking. Cocooning-vs.-Conforming Exegesis

Lauren Ashley

Revelation
MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Thank you so much for your help. Sometimes I forget the basic principle of extroverts gaining energy from groups and introverts gaining energy from being alone.

The main reason why I even questioned myself being an extrovert is because I am a totally different person alone. I don't show my quiet side when I'm with my friends and I kind of felt like that was the TRUE me. Because I have trouble showing my TRUE self when I'm with my friends, I kind of questioned myself being an extrovert. Also I'm a little shy, but I warm up fast. Also compaired to just about every other extrovert I know, I'm not nearly as initiating as they are. Its funny because when I'm with my friends, I suddendly gain a tremendous amount of courage and chrasmia. I think this happens because I use my friends as a shield. Because of this fact, I felt like I wasn't a true extrovert. Other extroverts don't seem to need their friends to help them be initiating, but for some reason I do.

Also I never felt like I loose energy when I'm alone for too long. I truly feel like I have some introverted qualities about me as I highly value alone time.

I think it's typical of ENxxs to have some very distinct introverted qualities, despite being extraverted. Both my siblings are ENFs and they would relate to the things you've said here about their introverted side.

G

Glycerine

After thinking about it more last night and this morning, I do show my true and deep self with my friends. I just suddendly gain a tremendous amount of energy when I'm around them. I also have just about every strength and weakness of a typical extrovert.

Anyways, if anybody else has anything else to say, I'm more than happy to read your comments.
I relate to everything you are saying. I can be calm/quiet when I'm alone but get kinda "high" off being around other people... like people become my energy drink. I also like my alone time too.

Yloh

MBTI Type
ENFJ
Hi Yloh! Welcome. There aren't many enfjs here, so that's awesome. Acting crazy in a group is pretty 'e' imo. To help explain why you are quiet when alone or with one other person only, might be best explained by Lenore Thompson. She is also into personality typing with Jungian roots. Sometimes looking to her can help when MBTI seems lacking. Cocooning-vs.-Conforming Exegesis

Thank you so much for that website. I now have a way better understanding on what loosing energy is actually like. When I'm alone, there is nothing that causes me to gather energy, so I'm very quiet and to myself.

I relate to everything you are saying. I can be calm/quiet when I'm alone but get kinda "high" off being around other people... like people become my energy drink. I also like my alone too.

I love your analogy. :yes:

Oh, I also forgot to add that I am VERY good at seeing things through all angles. I can not only see and understand things through another person's side of the story, but I can also feel their emotions as they tell me their side of the story.