• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Can you help me with my type? (INFP??)

Ringtone

MBTI Type
INFP
So, I took a couple of the tests and got INFP every time (Except once I got INTP). For the most part I agreed with it, but some of the things really did not match me. I think this is might be because some of the questions on the tests I wasn't entirely sure how to answer, or possibily just over-thought the questions.

If anyone can help me confirm or provide insight to how accurate the tests were, please do! Some of my personality traits:

-I'm really bad about making new friends in an entirely new environment. I switched schools last year and the first two weeks were hell. Because I did not know anyone, I had a very hard time adjusting until people initiated becoming friends with me, rather than me going out and making friends.
-That said, I'm very good at socializing and meeting new people if there is a mix of familiar and non-familiar people around me. For instance, if I'm with my friends and each of those friends brings along someone that I don't know.
-I love change and get bored very easily with the same things long term. I don't mind having the same classes every day and such, but one of the reasons I wanted to change schools was just for a change.
-I'm very quiet, but not around my friends.
-I get lost in thought way too easily and way too frequently.
-I am competitive
-I hate losing, but I don't let it show.
-I am very secretive and very untrusting, even of my best friends.
-I love art and music. I want to be an art teacher.
-If it matters, I dress very normally and plainly.
-I like appreciation but don't crave attention.
-If I'm around too many people for too long of a time, I get in really, really, REALLY bad moods. I need my alone time badly.
-I enjoy writing and can make up some crazy stories.
-I like to day dream of possible scenarios and how I would handle/get away with them. For example, how I would get away with stealing a car or hijacking a plane. I would never do any of those things, I just think its fun to think of what I would do, how I would avoid being caught, and the different options I'd have, etc.
-I like my options. A lot.
-I bend over backwards for my friends even when I don't want to.
-I don't really understand myself all that much.
-I play soccer. I don't know if athleticism has anything to do with this stuff, but I'm pretty athletic.
-I think theoretic stuff is very interesting.
-I don't like science that much because its not very absolute. What I mean is, 1000 years ago everyone was firmly convinced the sun revolved around the earth. Heck, we're even discarding theories now that we were very convinced were 100% factual 100-50 yrs ago. Why would anyone want to believe in the accuracy of science now, when its likely that in 200 years nearly everything we believe will be entirely obsolete? Looking at history, we're always proving ourselves wrong and coming up with better ways to explain things. Nothing wrong with that, I just have trouble trusting whats taught in science when there's always a chance it isn't true.
-I'm very open minded and very non judgemental.
-Everything fascinates me. A few days ago I was sitting watching tv and really all I could think about was how weird it is that I can even understand what the people in the tv are saying. I mean, think about it, language and our ability to understand it is baffling.
-I like being in small groups and going to small parties.
-I have a lot of friends but only two very close ones. A lot of them think they are close to me but definitely aren't.
-I am pretty good at manipulating/persuading people.
-I'm sort of full of myself but I generally don't let that show.
-I tend to think long term more than short term.
-That said, I love having fun and living "for today", which is extremely contradictory so I'll try to explain. I know that long term, I have to get stuff done. I have to do my homework to get good grades, to go to a good college, to get a good degree, to get a good job, to make life easier. I know that short term, I can do whatever I want really, because long term comes together piece by piece and I'm most likely subconsciously fulfilling my long term goals day by day anyway without thinking about it much (whenever I get an A on a test, I don't think "YESS, I'm one step closer to keeping a 4.0 to get into a good college to get a good degree to blah blah blah"). That gives me room to have all the short term fun my little heart desires.
-I over think things.
-I'm relatively bad at math compared to other subjects. I'm best at language things.
-I like having room to do what I want. When told to write an important paper, like a reseach paper, I like to have the flexibility to write creatively and interestingly while still being flexible. Last year for English, every paper we had to write, we had to label each sentence as a "commentary" "solid fact" etc and had to have so many of each type of sentence in one paragraph. It was madness, I hated it and usually ended up doing it my own way anyway.
-I am easily upset when someone is yelling at me. I get even more upset when I have to defend myself back to them.
-I hate hurting peoples feelings.
-I don't get very upset when people criticize what I am doing.
-I'm relatively laid back.
-To me, the most important quality in friendship is unselfishness. I treasure that over trustworthiness even. I'd rather have a friend that will tell everyone everything I say to them (mainly because I don't trust people enough anyway to tell them things I'd rather have the general public not know), but still drop what they're doing when I need a ride to work because my car pooped out on me, than someone who I can tell my deepest secrets to but is a selfish piece of poo. That said, I strive to be as unselfish as possible in friendships.

Sorry for writing novel up there. Any help is greatly appreciated, thanks!

OrangeAppled

Sugar Hiccup
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
A lot this just sounds like Fi, but these make me think ISFP:

-I am competitive
-I hate losing, but I don't let it show
-I don't like science that much because its not very absolute. What I mean is, 1000 years ago everyone was firmly convinced the sun revolved around the earth. Heck, we're even discarding theories now that we were very convinced were 100% factual 100-50 yrs ago. Why would anyone want to believe in the accuracy of science now, when its likely that in 200 years nearly everything we believe will be entirely obsolete? Looking at history, we're always proving ourselves wrong and coming up with better ways to explain things. Nothing wrong with that, I just have trouble trusting whats taught in science when there's always a chance it isn't true.
-I'm sort of full of myself but I generally don't let that show.
-That said, I love having fun and living "for today", which is extremely contradictory so I'll try to explain. I know that long term, I have to get stuff done. I have to do my homework to get good grades, to go to a good college, to get a good degree, to get a good job, to make life easier. I know that short term, I can do whatever I want really, because long term comes together piece by piece and I'm most likely subconsciously fulfilling my long term goals day by day anyway without thinking about it much (whenever I get an A on a test, I don't think "YESS, I'm one step closer to keeping a 4.0 to get into a good college to get a good degree to blah blah blah"). That gives me room to have all the short term fun my little heart desires.

Oaky

Travelling mind
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
Yes, an INFP

JivinJeffJones

MBTI Type
INFP
Looks like an INFP to me. I also hate losing -- so much so that I now avoid competitive situations as much as possible. Even drunken board-games between friends sometimes rile me up to the point where I have to sabotage my own strategy so I can go back to enjoying the company of the people I'm playing with.

And I'm not sure what you meant by being full of yourself, but I think Fi and Ti doms (especially those still in school) tend to think they're extra special on some non-rational level. Often that sense of specialness takes the form of their (over)estimation of the extent of their own unrealized potential.

Ringtone

MBTI Type
INFP
Looks like an INFP to me. I also hate losing -- so much so that I now avoid competitive situations as much as possible. Even drunken board-games between friends sometimes rile me up to the point where I have to sabotage my own strategy so I can go back to enjoying the company of the people I'm playing with.

And I'm not sure what you meant by being full of yourself, but I think Fi and Ti doms (especially those still in school) tend to think they're extra special on some non-rational level. Often that sense of specialness takes the form of their (over)estimation of the extent of their own unrealized potential.

Hehe yes exactly! Sometimes I'd rather not try than to run the chance of losing (That is, if I think there is an above-average chance that I might lose).

Yeah, sort of like that. On things I know I am good at (sorry, that sounds a bit cocky. But I mean, we all have things we know we're good at, right? right?), I tend to think I am better at than I actually am every so often. Usually soon after I get a nice reality check and a healthy heaping helping of put-back-into-my-place pie.