• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

INFp Turning into INFj

Polaris

AKA Nunki
MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I have a question. Just how much do you want to be an INFJ? To that extent, you're less likely to be one. I was in your same situation at one time, debating whether I was a J or P. The thing that made me decide on P was the simple fact that I want to be a J. Because I have this desire, I know I'm biased to think I'm a J, no matter how impartial I try to be. The only way to counter that bias is to reject the possibility I'm a J, except in the face of overwhelming evidence. If I were you, that's what I would do also.

G

Ginkgo

I have a question. Just how much do you want to be an INFJ? To that extent, you're less likely to be one. I was in your same situation at one time, debating whether I was a J or P. The thing that made me decide on P was the simple fact that I want to be a J. Because I have this desire, I know I'm biased to think I'm a J, no matter how impartial I try to be. The only way to counter that bias is to reject the possibility I'm a J, except in the face of overwhelming evidence. If I were you, that's what I would do also.

I'm not insecure about it. I'm simply trying to understand the processes.

simulatedworld

Freshman Member
MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
7w6
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
I'm just going to settle for INFJ. I'm sick of not knowing.

This is, in itself, INFJ. INFPs would tend to suspend judgment and continue searching for information; that results-oriented insistence on making a decision is characteristic of Je (in your case, Fe.)

The primary reasons I considered INFP as possibilities are that I have scored INFP accordingly and that I was diagnosed with ADD as a child. I always hated this diagnosis because I knew that I was simply disinterested in my teachers' lectures. I was much more interested in my doodles and what not.

Those have nothing to do with INFPness, really, so maybe you're INFJ.

I also don't like the fact that the MBTI Test asks you questions about your environment and timeliness. These things were entirely up to my parents.

Good point--picking apart the errors in perception that happen when we assume the MBTI test is balanced or accurate. Ni.

However, in young adulthood, I have learned to focus my attention to whatever's happening, particularly in academics.

This could very well be developmental.

That's too vague to help much. "Whatever's happening" could be any function.

(Introverted intuitives, INFJs enjoy a greater clarity of perception of inner, unconscious processes than all but their INTJ cousins. Just as SP types commune with the object and "live in the here and now" of the physical world, INFJs readily grasp the hidden psychological stimuli behind the more observable dynamics of behavior and affect. Their amazing ability to deduce the inner workings of the mind, will and emotions of others gives INFJs their reputation as prophets and seers. Unlike the confining, routinizing nature of introverted sensing, introverted intuition frees this type to act insightfully and spontaneously as unique solutions arise on an event by event basis. )

If this is Ni, then mine is strong. It is almost all that I think about.

Even now I am exploring the possibilities of how you will respond.

Does it require external information?

Sounds pretty Ni to me. Ne would probably focus more on making sure it gets the wide breadth and covers all the implications of whatever it's focusing on explaining at the moment.

The first post you gave explaining your morals sounded very INFP, but these last few are making me lean more toward INFJ.

G

Ginkgo

That's too vague to help much. "Whatever's happening" could be any function.

The subject matter was boring because I could pick up on it easily, and it required little of my effort.

However, I was always trying to understand the teachers.

Edit: Even as I walked into their rooms, I would observe the decorations on the walls and the way things were organized. People always wondered why I did this. They claimed that I looked "lost". However, I was just understanding and even critiquing the teacher.

Lauren Ashley

Revelation
MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
The indecisiveness says P more than anything, if we're just going with preferences.

In any event, I don't see why you want to be INFJ over INFP so badly. Like Nunki said, that means you're probably not. I would've liked to be whichever type I was (and yes, I would have known which one that was because I'm a J :tongue:).

simulatedworld

Freshman Member
MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
7w6
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
The subject matter was boring because I could pick up on it easily, and it required little of my effort.

However, I was always trying to understand the teachers.

Edit: Even as I walked into their rooms, I would observe the decorations on the walls and the way things were organized. People always wondered why I did this. They claimed that I looked "lost". However, I was just understanding and even critiquing the teacher.

Which would be worse, being immoral or being unable to see other perspectives?

G

Ginkgo

Ok yeah, INFJ.

In fact, that's why I quit going to church. They couldn't see that their perspective was the same as the other denominations' perspectives. It bothered the hell out of me.

Don't start a religious argument please.

Lauren Ashley

Revelation
MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Ok yeah, INFJ.

At this point, how can you say that? The OP is completely biased towards being INFJ, that's clear. So of course they would pick the answer that they know corresponds to INFJ.

G

Ginkgo

At this point, how do you can you say that? The OP is completely biased towards being INFJ, that's clear. So of course they would pick the answer that they know corresponds to INFJ.

Weren't you biased toward being an INFJ when you became an INFJ?

simulatedworld

Freshman Member
MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
7w6
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
Weren't you biased toward being an INFJ when you became an INFJ?

:laugh:

Ni Ni Ni

This kind of perspective-breaking meta-thought is why Ni users are so fascinating to me. You'd never get that kind of joke from an INFP.

Thalassa

Permabanned
MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sx
Which would be worse, being immoral or being unable to see other perspectives?

Being unable to see other perspectives is worse. Besides, define immoral.

Theoretically, any intelligent person with a university education should be able to see other perspectives.

Since when is being unable to see other perspectives an INFP trait? I generally associate that with STJs.

Lethe

Obsession.
MBTI Type
iNtJ
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
so/sx
Being unable to see other perspectives is worse. Besides, define immoral.

Theoretically, any intelligent person with a university education should be able to see other perspectives.

Since when is being unable to see other perspectives an INFP trait? I generally associate that with STJs.

Not the immediate perspectives. The STJs keep an open-mind towards what had worked.

INFPs are better at seeing the immediate perspectives involving someone else's emotions, though not their data input style.

Thalassa

Permabanned
MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sx
In fact, that's why I quit going to church. They couldn't see that their perspective was the same as the other denominations' perspectives. It bothered the hell out of me.

Don't start a religious argument please.

I really don't think this has anything to do with being an INFP or an INFJ for the record. There's a deeply religious Roman Catholic INFJ running around this very web site, and I'm an xNFP and I started thinking about all of this stuff when I was twelve. So...I seriously do not consider this to be a deciding factor. At all.

Lauren Ashley

Revelation
MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Anyway, OP, if you so adamantly want to believe you are INFJ, there's nothing I can say to convince you otherwise. Heaven knows there's plenty of other INFPs that have INFJ as their type here. So see you around the forums.

OrangeAppled

Sugar Hiccup
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Everything I said applies equally to Ti.

I have a distaste for Ji in general, not just Fi.

I just have a little bit better firsthand understanding of Ti than Fi, and nobody ever seems to ask about the differences between Ti and Te. If they did, my response would be very similar to my explanation of Fi/Fe.

Suffice it to say I find Ti equally annoying and constantly wish I didn't have to use it for internal judgments. The fact that it doesn't take in any information from the outside world and also subjectively validates itself is pretty bothersome--Ti is totally unaware that its own conceptions of logic are just as subjective as Fi's conceptions of ethics.

That's irrelevant. I don't care how you feel about other functions. The problem is that your bias in this case is presenting a slanted view, and that makes you incapable of explaining Fi accurately.

There's too many people in this thread who don't have Fi as a function of their type asserting that their definition of it is more accurate over people who actually are Fi-dom. :rolli:

To the OP: The oh so exclusive INFJ club is not a welcoming one. Come to the INFP dark side; we'll embrace you with open arms :newwink: :cheese:

Lethe

Obsession.
MBTI Type
iNtJ
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
so/sx
Anyway, OP, if you so adamantly want to believe you are INFJ, there's nothing I can say to convince you otherwise. Heaven knows there's plenty of other INFPs that have INFJ as their type here. So see you around the forums.

Hmmm, it seems very likely for the OP that the initial P confusion arrived from being diagnosed with ADD, in addition to wielding a strong form of Ni. It gives the individual more externally perceiving mannerisms than their J peers despite valuing external consistency.

OrangeAppled

Sugar Hiccup
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Hmmm, it seems very likely for the OP that the initial P confusion arrived from being diagnosed with ADD, in addition to wielding a strong form of Ni. It gives the individual more external perceiving mannerisms than their J peers despite valuing external consistency.

Being INFP is not a mental illness or behavioral disorder either :steam: :steam: :steam: