• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Best friend: INTP or INTJ?

LEVINA

MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
7w8
Best friend is a female sophmore. She is also a 5w6. I am a 7w8. She also needs to smile more, I can feel the monotony from a mile away.
She has a msn display picture of Putin (big fan of him), no pic at all, or ironic pictures of creepyness. (For example, old ladies looking like creepos carrying umbrellas.) Into studying the nazi pyschology aspects. Wants to be criminal psychologist. Likes rock (rammstein is her favorite band). Both me and her really hate to read books. (Extreme emphasize on the hate). Favorite tv show is the X-Files. Best jokes are extremely offensive jokes about racism, sexism, and politics.
Raises hands in classes she is interested in. Likes dogs. Wants a dog. Spends most of time online. Room messy as hell. Good at picking up social cues/what to do in social situations, however does not seem to know how to jump into society/or have the courage to."
She is abit paranoid and jumpy. I have a hard time telling if her sarcasm is real or a joke. She tells me she wants to make love to me and I'm not sure if there's a underlying meaning.
Overthinks EVERYTHING! She does care what others think, however only on a basic level. She just doesn't want them thinking she's weird/creepy. (Especially since she doesn't show any other "side") Pet peeve is hypocrits.

Best friend is conflicted.

I ask her...

"Introvert vs Extrovert" and she says....

"introvert because i like being alone. i like social stuff i just get irritated with it real fast, and the talking just seems pointless half the time, and i'd rather be doing something more productive or just spacing off. can't stand parties and the loop either, too much going on at once and i tend to focus on one thing at a time."

Her on general people: "people are okay. but if i had to pick? i don't really like them too much. i'd be happier if i was on the planet alone, with the exception of a few friends sparsed out all over the place."

"Sensor vs Inuitive" (Well, I asked her if she likes concrete or abstract ideas" and she says...

"i prefer listening to whatever as long as it makes valid sense and i can see where someone's coming from."

My take: My idea buddy. We talk about such subjects including politics, religion, ect ect I always talk to her if I have a new idea or a new theory. And she and I point out errors and what if examples.

"Feeling vs Thinking" and she says...

"a mix because a decision that i have to apply with other people are going to expect some sort of moral reaction from me, otherwise they think i'm weird and shit and i don't like that."

I asked her- "What about personal decisions that you make, and nobody cares, like a decision about your career?"

She said...
"logical but i also take in consideration if i'll be like.. happy doing it and stuff. i think that's still logical but it could be feeling? D:"

"Perceiving vs Judging" and she says...

"i don't really know if i'm a P or a J. i think i'm a perciever because i tend to see behind what's shown when i'm making more 'deep' decisions, and try to comprehend everything completely. but if i had to apply my actions, i'd definitely try and weigh out the pros and cons to come to a decision, especially if i'm doing it almost blindly. sometimes i don't always go with my judged decisions, usually because i'm afraid to."

My take: Her hanging around me is making her more Judging. She sees me being a total candidate for high school dropout and future hobo, she's wanting to be more in control and successful.

Her philosphy about life generally is that life is tough, there's no way to go agaisnt the wave and come out alive. She knows she can come out alive, however there is a lack of motivation/courage/knowledge of how to. She makes do with what she has and just wants to be left alone and die with a neutral happiness. Me on the other hand is a extreme adventurer and finds some way to go agaisnt the wave.

NOTE: I know that MBTI is only to be used to help one indivually and that I shouldn't be typing anybody. However, she wants to know and I'm bored.

poppy

triple nerd score
MBTI Type
intj
Enneagram
Leaning towards INTJ

The fact that she is fond of Putin is a dead giveaway.

EDIT: But in all seriousness, her need for control suggests J rather than P.

Happyman

MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
4w5
Definitely J.

Besides... How can anyone mistake INTP for a INTJ?? These types are so far apart! It's like a piglet and a rhinoceros! ;) (no offence, I just happen to know many INTPs and INTJs - math&physics class in High School, ya know ;) ).

The only other two types differentiated by J/P, that are THAT different, are ISTP and ISTJ. Attitude toward risk - you figure this out. ;)

poppy

triple nerd score
MBTI Type
intj
Enneagram
Definitely J.

Besides... How can anyone mistake INTP for a INTJ?? These types are so far apart! It's like a piglet and a rhinoceros! ;) (no offence, I just happen to know many INTPs and INTJs - math&physics class in High School, ya know ;) ).

The only other two types differentiated by J/P, that are THAT different, are ISTP and ISTJ. Attitude toward risk - you figure this out. ;)

You used 3 winky faces in this post. I'm impressed ;)

But yes, INTPs and INTJs are waay different and easily differentiable once you're familiar with the types (though I don't know if Levina is).

LEVINA

MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
7w8
You used 3 winky faces in this post. I'm impressed ;)

But yes, INTPs and INTJs are waay different and easily differentiable once you're familiar with the types (though I don't know if Levina is).

Moderatly. However, I assumed she would be INTP.

Tyrant

MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
"Perceiving vs Judging" and she says...

"i don't really know if i'm a P or a J. i think i'm a perciever because i tend to see behind what's shown when i'm making more 'deep' decisions, and try to comprehend everything completely. but if i had to apply my actions, i'd definitely try and weigh out the pros and cons to come to a decision, especially if i'm doing it almost blindly. sometimes i don't always go with my judged decisions, usually because i'm afraid to."
I don't think she quite understands the Perceiving/Judging dichotomy.

LEVINA

MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
7w8
Well my dear what made ya think that? Let's hear your case!

She is as messy as hell. While she does think her ideas are "right" (To a extent) she doesn't inforce them on others with upmost force.
And she fits the stereotypical image of a INTP better than INTJ.

You should also consider ISTP.

She is in no way a SP of any sort. Lol

I don't think she quite understands the Perceiving/Judging dichotomy.

TBH I don't either. I'm just going off the general descriptions.

She also wants to note : "i have the desire to control my own life, i don't give a shit about others to mess with theirs, unless i'm being hurt by it. "
"i have no need to control >:c i like it when others take charge and i work behind the scenes"
"i'm still not sure what i am but i don't think i'm an intj if it involves controlling. because thats the last thing i want, i stay away from anything that involves having me lead others, and i work alone for that very reason because i feel i can work more efficiently that way. because i hate telling others what to do and hate being the nasty boss no one likes."

My take: "Or...She just seems to like working alone."

Tyrant

MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
The desire to be in control of one's life is exclusive to neither types.

Well, this will be useful if you're unsure of the preferences.

Has she ever done a test? If not, the website I linked to has one you could take if you're interested.

LEVINA

MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
7w8
The desire to be in control of one's life is exclusive to neither types.

Well, this will be useful if you're unsure of the preferences.

Has she ever done a test? If not, the website I linked to has one you could take if you're interested.

She read it and says she is not a perceiver but only agrees with the responsible and likes closure part of the judgement section.

She has tested INTP, INTJ, ISTJ, and I think one time ISTP and INFP.

poppy

triple nerd score
MBTI Type
intj
Enneagram
She read it and says she is not a perceiver but only agrees with the responsible and likes closure part of the judgement section.

The closure thing is the major factor in whether or not someone is J, control has nothing to do with wanting to control other people. Sheesh. It's about decisiveness and naturally tending to plan things out, as opposed to preferring that things are open ended and not planned out ahead of time.

Also, her fitting the stereotypical image of INTP doesn't really say anything. I cannot recommend highly enough that you dig a little deeper.

Have either of you read the typelogic.com descriptions? I think they're a good place to start. You could read through them and compare the profiles of both INTJ and INTP.
TypeLogic Home Page

Tyrant

MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
I'm going assume because she/you were unaware of the differences between the J/P preferences, you haven't explored cognitive functions. Correct me if I'm wrong. Tests don't tell you everything, but if you're having doubt, you could take this at your leisure.

The only thing I'm clear of from your OP is she's an introvert. Maybe clearer descriptions would help me if you're uninterested in taking online tests.

LEVINA

MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
7w8
I'm going assume because she/you were unaware of the differences between the J/P preferences, you haven't explored cognitive functions. Correct me if I'm wrong. Tests don't tell you everything, but if you're having doubt, you could take this at your leisure.

The only thing I'm clear of from your OP is she's an introvert. Maybe clearer descriptions would help me if you're uninterested in taking online tests.

I made her take the test and she got...
2yyxf88.png

OFFTOPIC:
Well according to that test, I'm a ESTP > ISTP > ENTP. Which is odd, considering the last functions test I took was ENTP > ESTP > INTP

poppy

triple nerd score
MBTI Type
intj
Enneagram
I made her take the test and she got...
2yyxf88.png

OFFTOPIC:
Well according to that test, I'm a ESTP > ISTP > ENTP. Which is odd, considering the last functions test I took was ENTP > ESTP > INTP

The high Si does support INTP.

Cognitive tests can be a little iffy, especially where questions that should identify introverted intuition (the INTJ's dominant process) use phrases that sound totally ridiculous and excessively mystical...but anyway, I complain about these tests all the time. The Si suggests that she is either INTP or possibly ISTJ if her Te is being misread as Ti, which is a possibility (on this particular test, I actually test Ti,Ni,Te)

Matthew_Z

That chalkboard guy
MBTI Type
xxxx
Based on how much I can relate to that description, I'm going to guess INTP.

Nizy

MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w4
INTP with INTJ leanings, better that looked at.