• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Is it possible to not fit any type?

Nyx

The most accurate way I could describe my self is 5w4 at this point.

I made this thread recently: http://www.typologycentral.com/forums/nf-idyllic/21513-infj-mistyped-intp.html

I was pretty convinced I was an INFJ, but I realized I could fit into several types... Mainly INTP or INFJ...possibly INFP. Each one describes part of me, but some aspects are really off in each. I am dreamy and romantic; being competent with emotions/feel deeply (not too keen on expressing them to people)... and at the same time am logical, analytical, and detached... how can this be?

my function order is Ni, Ti, Fi= Fe, Ne, Se, Te=Si

I really identify with the INTPs approach to knowledge and thinking...at the same time identifying with the INFJs mystical intuition...at the same time identify with INFPs emotional depth. (p.s. I think if I was anymore introverted I might implode.)

Can anyone give some insight here?... I am completely bemused...

Nyx

It's not that I am fickle... I just feel like I have well developed T and F ...I feel like I use both equally or in some cases together... depending on what the situation needs.

Udog

Seriously Delirious
MBTI Type
INfp
Enneagram
9w1
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
The way you talk about how you interact with your ENTP really made me think INFJ. I simply couldn't relate to what you said at all - my dynamic with them is very different. Good - just different.

When it comes to function order, I put weight in the dominant function and after that find it less and less useful. Your function order suggests a pretty consistent INFJ, with an out of whack Fi and Ne making you not fit into the INFJ box as cleanly.

Athenian200

Protocol Droid
MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
4w5
Yes, it's possible, if you adhere to strict function order. You're Ni-Ti, which could be construed as INTx.

Personally, though, my preference is to simply take the strongest Introverted function, and then the strongest Extraverted function, and say your type is that, even if it's not a perfect fit.

So this would make you an extremely Introverted INFJ, because your strongest Extraverted function is Fe. The reason is because being an NT is about the experience of using an N or T function in the outer world, and the other in the inner world. I'm different from NTs because I don't know what it's like to use N or T in the outer world on a regular basis.

Since I mostly use those functions internally, my experience of logic and patterns has a certain subjectivity and structure that is very detached from reality and emotion, but not in a way that a normal NT could appreciate. In fact, it's so detached that it's not relevant to anything in the outside world, which is the kind of thing NTs can't actually appreciate.

INJs seem to have the hardest time typing themselves, FWIW. Mostly because we don't fit as cleanly into Keirsey's system as NPs and ENJs do.

Nyx

The way you talk about how you interact with your ENTP really made me think INFJ. I simply couldn't relate to what you said at all - my dynamic with them is very different. Good - just different.

When it comes to function order, I put weight in the dominant function and after that find it less and less useful. Your function order suggests a pretty consistent INFJ, with an out of whack Fi and Ne making you not fit into the INFJ box as cleanly.

My ENTP is a suspected ENTP mostly based off his crazy uses of Ne. What is your dynamic like with them? I only know two, one male one female. The dynamics with both are similar ...the female a little less intense because it isn't romantic.

INFJ fits the best if I had to choose one. My functions are out of whack I think because my first three are all introverted (that can't be healthy!)...and the dominant functions of types that are all similar in some way. Left to my own devices (ie not meditating or controlling my mind) I spend way too much time analyzing things/thinking in general.

Yes, it's possible, if you adhere to strict function order. You're Ni-Ti, which could be construed as INTx.

Personally, though, my preference is to simply take the strongest Introverted function, and then the strongest Extraverted function, and say your type is that, even if it's not a perfect fit.

So this would make you an extremely Introverted INFJ, because your strongest Extraverted function is Fe. The reason is because being an NT is about the experience of using an N or T function in the outer world, and the other in the inner world. I'm different from NTs because I don't know what it's like to use N or T in the outer world on a regular basis.

Since I mostly use those functions internally, my experience of logic and patterns has a certain subjectivity and structure that is very detached from reality and emotion, but not in a way that a normal NT could appreciate. In fact, it's so detached that it's not relevant to anything in the outside world, which is the kind of thing NTs can't actually appreciate.

Wow, you hit the nail on the head in that last paragraph, thanks. That makes a lot of sense. Can you elaborate on how N and T are used in the outer world versus the way we use it? I find my understanding of the way these functions translate to inner and outer worlds fuzzy for some reason...

poppy

triple nerd score
MBTI Type
intj
Enneagram
My ENTP is a suspected ENTP mostly based off his crazy uses of Ne. What is your dynamic like with them? I only know two, one male one female. The dynamics with both are similar ...the female a little less intense because it isn't romantic.

INFJ fits the best if I had to choose one. My functions are out of whack I think because my first three are all introverted (that can't be healthy!)...and the dominant functions of types that are all similar in some way. Left to my own devices (ie not meditating or controlling my mind) I spend way too much time analyzing things/thinking in general.

Hmm, I wouldn't worry about that (It's kind of an introvert thing anyway). Obviously there are going to be things in other profiles that will fit a person in addition to their main type, at least for most people. And being an NF doesn't preclude an analytical nature, nor does being an NT mean you're a soulless bastard ;) That's what the stereotypes say, but the fact is most people are three dimensional :D

Athenian200

Protocol Droid
MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
4w5
Wow, you hit the nail on the head in that last paragraph, thanks. That makes a lot of sense. Can you elaborate on how N and T are used in the outer world versus the way we use it? I find my understanding of the way these functions translate to inner and outer worlds fuzzy for some reason...

Exactly! That's because we really only use it in the inner world. I personally don't understand how T or N could be used in the outer world either. You'd be better off getting an NT to explain it. They've tried before, but I don't get it. Maybe you'll have better luck.

Nyx

Hmm, I wouldn't worry about that (It's kind of an introvert thing anyway). Obviously there are going to be things in other profiles that will fit a person in addition to their main type, at least for most people. And being an NF doesn't preclude an analytical nature, nor does being an NT mean you're a soulless bastard ;) That's what the stereotypes say, but the fact is most people are three dimensional :D

Oooh yeah...I suppose I forgot. I am so detached that sometimes I forget people are usually multidimensional... :doh:

Exactly! That's because we really only use it in the inner world. I personally don't understand how T or N could be used in the outer world either. You'd be better off getting an NT to explain it. They've tried before, but I don't get it. Maybe you'll have better luck.

I'm starting to wonder what use, if any, I have to the outer world.

entropie

Permabanned
MBTI Type
entp
Enneagram
Absolutely: thats called real knowledge of the human nature, a sing most people who come here lack