• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Am I intp (existentialistcat)?

Polaris

AKA Nunki
MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I've seen a couple of your videos, and I really enjoyed them. That said, with the very first video of yours I watched, which is the one in which you discuss your MBTI type, I immediately found myself thinking, "She's an INFP. She has to be." You've probably heard the stereotype that Feelers don't do philosophy (except ethics) and that they steer clear of logic, but that's all it is: just a stereotype. Some of us, myself included, are okay with the intellectual side and even value it. In a lot of cases Feelers like that mistake themselves for Thinkers. I myself for a long time thought I was a Thinker, but then I realized that my analytical side comes from my values (not to mention that it's a side of myself I only developed recently). I'm not saying you're an INFP, because I don't know you, but if I were you, I wouldn't be so quick to discard the possibility.

Fluffywolf

Nips away your dignity
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Yea I noticed that was your underlying motive. Maybe you wern't being very objective in your analysis of her type after all.

I was very objective, that is exactly why. I'm an INTP too you know. I wouldn't be interested otherwise. :smile:

Alwar

The Architect
MBTI Type
INTP
Be careful with associating the INTP type with the behavior of people on the internet who identify with it. I think math is boring (actually, arithmetic) and many other "INTP's" have said the same. I think it's more about analyzing systems and truth seeking (not argument seeking, conflict seeking, or seeking to nitpick etc.), be it a social system, a brain system, a computer system or whatever. And be careful also, not to invest too much of your identity into the personality type as many others do.

teleforce

MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
based on your videos, lots of people have typed you as INFP. i'm leaning towards that as well, but i'm not set on it.

Lethe

Obsession.
MBTI Type
iNtJ
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
so/sx
My take on this thread: You're an INTP with a strong use of Ne. [Barcode9588 is very Ti dominant. She's actively breaking down the ideas (Ti) and you're actively asking open-ended questions (Ne).] While watching the videos, the INFP type for you never entered my mind. You don't normally apply your personal values (morally "right" or "wrong"; "good" or "bad") to the information, at least not openly. Fi is likely a preference after Ti and Ne.

There's also a wider perspective to consider: no social group is homogeneous. We may all be from a particular location, ideology, biological sex, and so forth, yet our memberships in other categories affects how similarly we are to our peers. To illustrate this, do all New Yorkers uphold identical attitudes? Have identical thoughts? Identical motivations? Collectively, we might discover a pattern, yet individually, there is a vast difference from person to person. So New Yorkers can act in a similar manner, but they are not the same.

And welcome to TypologyCentral. You seem to have an uncanny resemblance to Luna Lovegood (the INFP version), IMO. :D

alpaca

MBTI Type
INTP
My take on this thread: You're an INTP with a strong use of Ne. [Barcode9588 is very Ti dominant. She's actively breaking down the ideas (Ti) and you're actively asking open-ended questions (Ne).] While watching the videos, the INFP type for you never entered my mind. You don't normally apply your personal values (morally "right" or "wrong"; "good" or "bad") to the information, at least openly.

There's also a wider perspective to consider: no social group is homogeneous. We may all be from a particular location, ideology, biological sex, and so forth, yet our memberships in other categories affects how similarly we are to our peers. To illustrate this, do all New Yorkers uphold identical attitudes? Have identical thoughts? Identical motivations? Collectively, we might discover a pattern, yet individually, there is a vast difference from person to person. So New Yorkers can act in a similar manner, but they are not the same.

And welcome to TypologyCentral. You seem to have an uncanny resemblance to Luna Lovegood (the INFP version), IMO. :D

Well that is a very interesting idea, I think you may be on to something there with the idea that I might be using more Ne. I don't believe in right or wrong apart from a pragmatic sense. I feel much more like an INTP than an INFP (I have friends who are and can tell the difference). It's just that I don't behave like a typical INTP (I think).

Thanks for the welcome :) Ah, Luna. She's so spacey!

Alwar

The Architect
MBTI Type
INTP
Well that is a very interesting idea, I think you may be on to something there with the idea that I might be using more Ne. I don't believe in right or wrong apart from a pragmatic sense. I feel much more like an INTP than an INFP (I have friends who are and can tell the difference). It's just that I don't behave like a typical INTP (I think).

There is a lovely poster here named OrangeAppled that is an INFP, but comes across very much what people usually describe as INTP, probably because of the posting style of people over on INFPgc, but like I said, you have to be so careful with falling into that.

stellar renegade

PEST that STEPs on PETS
MBTI Type
ESTP
You just have a gentle demeanor, alpaca, that's all. You're a very analytical person and your demeanor has nothing to do with it. There are plenty of INTPs who are like that.

alpaca

MBTI Type
INTP
You just have a gentle demeanor, alpaca, that's all. You're a very analytical person and your demeanor has nothing to do with it. There are plenty of INTPs who are like that.

Thanks :blush: It's just.. the stereotypes, and the assumption that I cannot type myself. But I think intp seems most likely to me at this time, if I were to choose any of the 16 types. It's only an indication of temperament, no?

Lethe

Obsession.
MBTI Type
iNtJ
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
so/sx

:)

Have you seen Evanna Lynch's, the actress who plays Luna Lovegood, interviews?

(A brief 1 minute clip. Notice how personal she is with her observation. It's almost as if she's submerging herself into the subjects.)
[YOUTUBE=DTher84kR6I]Interview with Evanna Lynch[/YOUTUBE]

There is a lovely poster here named OrangeAppled that is an INFP, but comes across very much what people usually describe as INTP, probably because of the posting style of people over on INFPgc, but like I said, you have to be so careful with falling into that.

In comparison to Alpaca, OrangeAppled far more readily discusses her personal values, as Alpaca is hesitant in offering such an interpretation.

stellar renegade

PEST that STEPs on PETS
MBTI Type
ESTP
Thanks :blush: It's just.. the stereotypes, and the assumption that I cannot type myself. But I think intp seems most likely to me at this time, if I were to choose any of the 16 types. It's only an indication of temperament, no?

Your careful questioning of it certainly seems to indicate your temperament.

Here's what Keirsey says about INTPs (Architects):

Architects need not be thought of as only interested in drawing blueprints for buildings or roads or bridges. They are the master designers of all kinds of theoretical systems, including school curricula, corporate strategies, and new technologies. For Architects, the world exists primarily to be analyzed, understood, explained - and re-designed. External reality in itself is unimportant, little more than raw material to be organized into structural models. What is important for Architects is that they grasp fundamental principles and natural laws, and that their designs are elegant, that is, efficient and coherent.

Architects are rare - maybe one percent of the population - and show the greatest precision in thought and speech of all the types. They tend to see distinctions and inconsistencies instantaneously, and can detect contradictions no matter when or where they were made. It is difficult for an Architect to listen to nonsense, even in a casual conversation, without pointing out the speaker's error. And in any serious discussion or debate Architects are devastating, their skill in framing arguments giving them an enormous advantage. Architects regard all discussions as a search for understanding, and believe their function is to eliminate inconsistencies, which can make communication with them an uncomfortable experience for many.

Ruthless pragmatists about ideas, and insatiably curious, Architects are driven to find the most efficient means to their ends, and they will learn in any manner and degree they can. They will listen to amateurs if their ideas are useful, and will ignore the experts if theirs are not. Authority derived from office, credential, or celebrity does not impress them. Architects are interested only in what make sense, and thus only statements that are consistent and coherent carry any weight with them.

Architects often seem difficult to know. They are inclined to be shy except with close friends, and their reserve is difficult to penetrate. Able to concentrate better than any other type, they prefer to work quietly at their computers or drafting tables, and often alone. Architects also become obsessed with analysis, and this can seem to shut others out. Once caught up in a thought process, Architects close off and persevere until they comprehend the issue in all its complexity. Architects prize intelligence, and with their grand desire to grasp the structure of the universe, they can seem arrogant and may show impatience with others who have less ability, or who are less driven.

Spartacuss

wholly charmed
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w4
By the way, it's not uncommon for INTP's to also develop Fi, from the instinctual desire to belong and deal with life. Which may confuse INTP's and INFP's. I myself have a very high Fi for example..

So do I.

On to the original post

The thing is, I'm not good at math
Many of us aren't
or remembering nuggets of information unless it pertains to a conceptual model of interest
Me too; though I have more than a few.
It's probably why I often suck at remembering people's names.
I'm also not asocial exactly
There are degrees of introversion and even then many of us are not asocial - we simply prize our alone time. You mentioned judging by people on the board, and one thing to keep in mind is the demographic of the people who do frequent internet boards - I'd expect more virulent asocials of various types to be far more common than is the general case.

I do still make decisions first based on the reasonable thing to do, which is often dominant over what I want emotionally. But that is merely delayed gratification.
ditto. but that's the point of using reason - we are not trying to avoid gratification, after all.
However, sometimes it takes me a long time to process what I'm feeling, and I'm good at controlling it (except for in my rare relationships).
classic intp

However in defense of the typing, I'm absent-minded but very good at understanding broad concepts.
ditto.
There's no doubt that I value logic over emotion, but I see this as somewhat of a fault.
I sometimes see it as a fault, especially when i see the boneheaded use of logic over emotion where emotion is clearly the more apt tool. All it means is that you are more balanced and do not immaturely deify logic. and that's a good thing.
I "over-analyze" everything that is of interest, and enjoy talking to myself to sort out ideas and to find consistency. I'm obsessed with consistency.
ditto. Coherent, robust systems are something of an obsession.
I'm also pretty quiet by nature, and I'm always hearing that people cannot for the life of them figure me out. I'm interested in refection and knowing myself, because that's how I can understand reality since I'm the one processing it.
another +1

alpaca

MBTI Type
INTP
Haha, nothing says enthusiasm like a dancing reggae banana! But I did think about it, and I decided that INTP is the most likely. I do not know why people keep saying INFP, but it just doesn't describe me. I looked into the enneagram today and seem to be described uncannily well by the 5w4. Is that somewhat common for INTPs?

Polaris

AKA Nunki
MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I looked into the enneagram today and seem to be described uncannily well by the 5w4. Is that somewhat common for INTPs?
It's the most common type for INTPs, with 9 as a distant second and 4 extremely rare.

On a side note, have you taken a cognitive processes test yet? That will give a better idea of your type than almost anything else you can do.

Orangey

Blah
MBTI Type
ESTP
Enneagram
6w5
You seem oddly closed to any suggestion other than INTP despite the fact that you've created a thread questioning your own type. Why did you post this here if you didn't want to hear anything other than the type you already identified as?

alpaca

MBTI Type
INTP
It's the most common type for INTPs, with 9 as a distant second and 4 extremely rare.

On a side note, have you taken a cognitive processes test yet? That will give a better idea of your type than almost anything else you can do.

Well then. I'm not sure if I took the cognitive processes test-- do you have a link?

alpaca

MBTI Type
INTP
You seem oddly closed to any suggestion other than INTP despite the fact that you've created a thread questioning your own type. Why did you post this here if you didn't want to hear anything other than the type you already identified as?

Because I keep getting told that I'm not INTP, and I was wondering if maybe I learned the type instead of it coming naturally. (Maybe it's because my family values logic and doesn't express emotion openly.) I wanted to see what people would say, out of curiosity. Maybe I want validation as an intp because it's the only group I've ever identified with. Ah well, it's only a test. I don't claim to understand its workings.

Polaris

AKA Nunki
MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Here you go: the test. There's another version that gives more accurate results, but I wouldn't advise it right now because it's very easy to skew.

alpaca

MBTI Type
INTP
Here you go: the test. There's another version that gives more accurate results, but I wouldn't advise it right now because it's very easy to skew.

Thanks, I'll try to take it tomorrow. Right now I'm going to get back to reading for a test (I am very distracted :))