• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

What's my type?

What is my type?

• ENTJ

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • INTJ

• ENTP

• INTP

Votes: 1 14.3%
  • ENFP

Votes: 6 85.7%
  • INFP

• Total voters

BlueScreen

Fail 2.0
MBTI Type
YMCA
I polled this a while ago, with mixed results. And am interested in a consensus again.

I've had some interesting alarm bell moments in the last few weeks. When I saw a careers counsellor the other week, she seemed to like saying an ENFP orrr an ENTP would be very suited for this job. I'm unsure if this was a first off judgment because of my scientific approach though, because when I saw a psychologist a while back he raised an eyebrow at ENFP, but then came around to the idea. I know I come off quite strongly as an analytical scientific type in real life, but the consensus of me and my mother(INFJ) always was that ENFP is the best fit. Recently I've seen some NTJ similarities also, so it could be a sign of Te. I'm asking again because occasionally I get this feeling that I'm glossing over the obvious. I am quite different to the average ENFP I meet in real life also, and quite different to the average ENTP.

I feel everything links in enough that I'm pretty sure of my type though. I just put this here so if anyone had seen an obvious reason why I am not ENFP, or if it seemed wrong, I can know. It will be pretty important for my career decisions I'm making at the moment. Thanks in advance if anyone has useful input, if not, just vote so I have a confirmation.

Last edited:

bluebell

MBTI Type
INTP
I just put this here so if anyone had seen an obvious reason why I am not ENFP, or if it seemed wrong, I can know. It will be pretty important for my career decisions I'm making at the moment. Thanks in advance if anyone has useful input, if not, just vote so I have a confirmation.

I don't know you well enough to comment one way or another, but the bolded bit seems a little odd. Can you explain more about that? Type isn't everything for career. Tendencies, sure, but I personally wouldn't be basing a career decision purely on a MBTI code. Self-knowledge, irrespective of MBTI type, would seem more likely to inform a career choice. eg I know I hate repetitive tasks and doing the same thing everyday - but if I was typed as ISTJ not INTP, it still wouldn't change the fact that repetitive tasks make me want to run far, far away.

BlueScreen

Fail 2.0
MBTI Type
YMCA
I don't know you well enough to comment one way or another, but the bolded bit seems a little odd. Can you explain more about that? Type isn't everything for career. Tendencies, sure, but I personally wouldn't be basing a career decision purely on a MBTI code. Self-knowledge, irrespective of MBTI type, would seem more likely to inform a career choice. eg I know I hate repetitive tasks and doing the same thing everyday - but if I was typed as ISTJ not INTP, it still wouldn't change the fact that repetitive tasks make me want to run far, far away.

I'm good at areas and interested in them, but afraid that I'll run into the same problems with being dissatisfied. I know I am dissatisfied with science and want as far away from it as possible. ENFP reinforces this choice. ENTP not so much. Maybe I'll get to higher levels and be okay. Maybe I'm on a slump and bored of it because I've been doing the same thing for too long. These are the questions I sort of want to answer. And type can maybe help understand that. I'd choose anything and everything if I went on interests and options. So it takes me from zero clues, to some :).

bluebell

MBTI Type
INTP
I'm good at areas and interested in them, but afraid that I'll run into the same problems with being dissatisfied. I know I am dissatisfied with science and want as far away from it as possible. ENFP reinforces this choice. ENTP not so much. Maybe I'll get to higher levels and be okay. Maybe I'm on a slump and bored of it because I've been doing the same thing for too long. These are the questions I sort of want to answer. And type can maybe help understand that. I'd choose anything and everything. So it takes me from zero clues, to some :).

OK, that kinda makes sense. btw INTPs can get bored of science too, FWIW.

I've resolved the career issue by realising that I do get bored of things and need to move on. So instead of trying to find the 'perfect fit', I've become comfortable with the idea that I'm likely to need to change job every few years or so. Luckily where I work, sideways moves are fairly common, so I never feel trapped. I'm like this with hobbies and interests too. Something will fascinate me in a ZOMG I am so excited about this/can't stop thinking about it for weeks/months/years at a time but I always get bored and spontaneously switch to something new eventually.

BlueScreen

Fail 2.0
MBTI Type
YMCA
Yeh, my Dad is INTP and isn't always the happiest with the technical stuff. Doesn't look forward to the city and traffic either. Would much more like to do his own thing and explore.

I was considering consulting companies. But I'm not sure if I'm teched out, and instead want a move to doing writing or something I'm really into.