• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

I need help understanding this.

fway

Enneagram
8w79
So I took the cognitive functions test tonight. Well it's morning now, I don't know how I am still up though. The results came back with the following cognitive functions:

Ti > Se > Fi > Ne > Te > Fe > Ni > Si
Learning curve: -3

The first three stuck out to me and confused me the most. This was because the results of my type came back as ESTP not ISTP. At least I thought the ISTP's cognitive functions started out with "Ti > Se" And overlooking Ti, ESFP's cognitive functions usually start out as "Se > Fi." It wasn't so much the Se, it's just the two functions it was surrounded by.

I also bought Kiersey's "Please Understand Me" books and I scored higher on E opposed to I and it was pretty close on S/N. I read both profiles and agreed more with ESTP. I understand that's where Ne came in on the cognitive functions test.

I'm thinking if I have more Se opposed to Ne there's more of a possibility that I am an ISTP, but I seem to enjoy being energized by people. However, there are times I burn out when I have too much interpersonal stimulation. I also enjoy being alone. I have been called "soft-spoken" as opposed to outspoken by my friends, but I feel that way only sometimes.

I'm not too sure about ESFP...

So what am I? ESTP? ISTP? ENTP? I wouldn't rule out INTP, but I don't think I have that much Ne in me. Is it the "learning curve" that affected this confusion? Why would you think it all is this way?

BlackCat

Shaman
MBTI Type
ESFP
Enneagram
9w8
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I definitely get an ISTP vibe from you. Here are some good type profiles-

ISTP
ESTP

This implies ISTP if you agree with it- Chart-the-Course
This implies ESTP if you agree with it- In-Charge

AphroditeGoneAwry

failure to thrive
MBTI Type
INfj
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
well your first two functions point to istp. in my experience, and from what i've heard others say on here who seem knowledgable about functions, you can't really rely on function order after first two. my husband is istp and his order is: Ti=Se, Si, Ne, Fe=Ni, Fi, Te. Se is almost arguably his dominant function, but he's no estp! he seems pretty extraverted too, when he's with his buddies, but otherwise he's a loner.

fway

Enneagram
8w79
I heavily agree with these statements:
ISTP said:
I have a problem with people reading between the lines. They hear words I never say, and I select my words carefully. I can take myself out of it so I usually don’t take things personally...

...I customize everything I touch; people tell me I can’t do something, and I say sure I can. And I like time to just sit down and enjoy. But when I have too much time I tend to just pick away at things. I am really much better when there is a deadline.

...Yet people have seen me as someone very lively and talkative. That’s the part of me that likes life to be an adventure...

Is it possible though, that I don't like using my Se to talk to people if I keep scoring ESTP? On several tests and retests I've taken I've scored below 80 but above 60 on extraversion, but of course you never know how accurate those tests are.

I think aphordite explains my case. Unless I am wrong about this.

well your first two functions point to istp. in my experience, and from what i've heard others say on here who seem knowledgable about functions, you can't really rely on function order after first two. my husband is istp and his order is: Ti=Se, Si, Ne, Fe=Ni, Fi, Te. he seems pretty extraverted too, but he's no estp! when he's with his buddies, but otherwise he's a loner.

This is good to know. It's so strange how the function orders get jumbled up after the first two functions.

Thank you both for your input.

INTJMom

MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w4
So I took the cognitive functions test tonight. Well it's morning now, I don't know how I am still up though. The results came back with the following cognitive functions:

Ti > Se > Fi > Ne > Te > Fe > Ni > Si
Learning curve: -3

The first three stuck out to me and confused me the most. This was because the results of my type came back as ESTP not ISTP. At least I thought the ISTP's cognitive functions started out with "Ti > Se" And overlooking Ti, ESFP's cognitive functions usually start out as "Se > Fi." It wasn't so much the Se, it's just the two functions it was surrounded by.

I also bought Kiersey's "Please Understand Me" books and I scored higher on E opposed to I and it was pretty close on S/N. I read both profiles and agreed more with ESTP. I understand that's where Ne came in on the cognitive functions test.

I'm thinking if I have more Se opposed to Ne there's more of a possibility that I am an ISTP, but I seem to enjoy being energized by people. However, there are times I burn out when I have too much interpersonal stimulation. I also enjoy being alone. I have been called "soft-spoken" as opposed to outspoken by my friends, but I feel that way only sometimes.

I'm not too sure about ESFP...

So what am I? ESTP? ISTP? ENTP? I wouldn't rule out INTP, but I don't think I have that much Ne in me. Is it the "learning curve" that affected this confusion? Why would you think it all is this way?
From the discussion we had in Ventrilo the other day when I was asking you questions, T & J where pretty definite.
And when I say pretty definite, I mean, you're not an F and you're not a P.
That's what I think, anyway.
Of course, I'm no JackFlak.