• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Type this, please

Queen Kat

The Duchess of Oddity
MBTI Type
E.T.
Enneagram
7w8
I found an old video of myself from somewhere in February 1996 (I was 4 years old). My father decided to interview me. And now I'm curious how much my type has changed during these 13 years. I'm not posting the video, because we're talking Dutch (and Hungarian) in that video and most people wouldn't understand it anyway. I asked my parents what I was like when I was little, but they both had very different opinions (both of them described me as a clone of themselves), so I'm curious about what you think. What type was I 13 years ago?

Dad: Today it's the 23th of February 1996, and little Katalin hasn't been on the video for such a long time!
I'm staring at the camera while playing with clay. I look straight at the camera and I'm smiling. Haven't seen a camera since I was 2 and it's pretty exciting. Short silence.
Me: I don't know that!
Mum: You don't know that?
Silence, I'm still watching the camera like it's something really strange.
Dad: So, tell us, what do you learn at your school?
Me: Er, I don't know. Er, we learn playing with beads, er, drawing, painting, er...
Dad: Who are your teachers?
Still overwhelmed by the camera.
Me: Er, miss Anneke...
Dad: And?
Me: Willemijn... Silence And miss Tonie! But she works at pre-school.
Dad: And who are your classmates?
Me: Errr, Evie-Britt, (best friend first, then random classmates) and Joni... Err, and Rens...
Dad: Bench?!
Me: Nooooo!!! You wackooooo!!!
Mum: Why don't you sing a cute little song for us?
I start thinking a long time about what song I'll sing, then I start singing very softly. My father gets bored and interrupts.
Dad: Well, Kata, you can talk in many ways, tell us about it!
Me: I don't know that! I don't know! You know that I can fart Hungarian? I CAN FART HUNGARIAN!
Dad: O really? And what do those farts sound like?
Me: Er... HUNGARIAN!!!
Dad: Show me that Hungarian fart thing!
Me: But I- (Dad makes a fart sound) HAHAHAHAHAAA!!! But I never fart, do I?
Dad: Okay.
Me: You know, I can do everything! You knew that! I can do everything! Except for riding a bike! But I'll learn that when I'm seven!
Silence
Dad: Tell us about, er, food! What kind of food do you like?
Me: CANDY! And, er, cookies! And chips! But I don't like cheese! And I don't like vegetables!
Dad decides it's enough for today and stops filming.

Engler

MBTI Type
Enneagram
N/A
Judging from what you've written, you sound like...

...well, let's see, enthusiastic...

...developing memory capabilities...

...curious about external events...

Yes, to me, you sound like a TYKE.

-----------------

The determination of one's type requires introspection, an ability that most children at that age do not possess. For this reason, your behavioral patterns were probably not indicative of any type.

EDIT: I would like to add, however, that I enjoyed reading your post.

Queen Kat

The Duchess of Oddity
MBTI Type
E.T.
Enneagram
7w8
Hmmm. And I thought that this video could show me what type I was born like.

Engler

MBTI Type
Enneagram
N/A
I'm personally of the mindset that type is strongly influenced by one's environment, rather than one's genes.

Certainly, there are genes that would cause someone to be naturally inclined towards the development of specific characteristics, but these characteristics won't be developed if one isn't influenced by their environment.

NewEra

MBTI Type
I
I'm personally of the mindset that type is strongly influenced by one's environment, rather than one's genes.

Certainly, there are genes that would cause someone to be naturally inclined towards the development of specific characteristics, but these characteristics won't be developed if one isn't influenced by their environment.

True, but at the same time there was this study that introversion/extroversion are inborn traits, related to the biology of the brain.

stellar renegade

PEST that STEPs on PETS
MBTI Type
ESTP
You seem like you very well could've been ENFP then, or maybe even introverted. It's really hard to tell. But you did seem enthusiastic (to be enthused is an NF trait) and introspective at the same time. You took time to think about things. That could be an introverted trait, but SPs generally don't take as much time out to think about things since we're more immediate and have strong sensory impressions to work from. Your sensory impressions seem a little more faint. But you're silly, and fun-loving, and cooperative (rather than utilitarian).

Some of what you said didn't make sense. I know that alot of children often don't make sense, but it seems like you even maybe misspoke ("I don't know that!" instead of "You don't know that!"?) You also got offended by the idea that you couldn't do anything, but in a different sense than an SP might. Some of it was just stuff that didn't make sense that you could be even slightly offended about, such as having been on video for a couple of years. And you wanted to be known as someone who could do anything. I think ENFPs are supposed to feel that way?

Your humor is silly and off-the-wall like an ENFP's. And you were still developing your ability to be able to put your thoughts into words and remember details, all of which seemed to lag behind your enthusiasm a bit.

Does that help? I could be totally off, so don't take my word for it.

Engler

MBTI Type
Enneagram
N/A
True, but at the same time there was this study that introversion/extroversion are inborn traits, related to the biology of the brain.

Could you provide me with a link to the study? It sounds fascinating.

NewEra

MBTI Type
I
Could you provide me with a link to the study? It sounds fascinating.

Hah funny, I asked the same to other people who talked about this study on this site. Anyway here's a link: Yerkes-Dodson

Quote from the article:

The major strength of Eysenck's model was to provide detailed theory of the causes of personality. For example, Eysenck proposed that extraversion was caused by variability in cortical arousal: "introverts are characterized by higher levels of activity than extraverts and so are chronically more cortically aroused than extraverts".[3] While it seems counterintuitive to suppose that introverts are more aroused than extraverts, the putative effect this has on behaviour is such that the introvert seeks lower levels of stimulation. Conversely, the extravert seeks to heighten his or her arousal to a more optimal level (as predicted by the Yerkes-Dodson Law) by increased activity, social engagement and other stimulation-seeking behaviors.

Quote from this article - Extraversion and introversion - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia - :

Other evidence of the "stimulation" hypothesis is that introverts salivate more than extroverts in response to a drop of lemon juice.[18]

Extroversion has been linked to higher sensitivity of the mesolimbic dopamine system to potentially rewarding stimuli.[19] This in part explains the high levels of positive affect found in extroverts, since they will more intensely feel the excitement of a potential reward. One consequence of this is that extroverts can more easily learn the contingencies for positive reinforcement, since the reward itself is experienced as greater.

One study found that introverts have more blood flow in the frontal lobes of their brain and the anterior or frontal thalamus, which are areas dealing with internal processing, such as planning and problem solving. Extroverts have more blood flow in the anterior cingulate gyrus, temporal lobes, and posterior thalamus, which are involved in sensory and emotional experience.[20] This study and other research indicates that introversion-extroversion is related to individual differences in brain function.

wren

MBTI Type
infj
Enneagram
Hmmm. And I thought that this video could show me what type I was born like.

That was a great interview you gave us! To me, you sound like a child with strong parental influence and you wanted to please them. Definitely NF most likely introverted child, possibly confusion over how you decide things about people. I'm speculating on n/s b/c i'm not definite on the meaning of these terms. Nonetheless I sense I strong value system, like within yourself. You measure what your father? is saying against your response, which shows Fi, however you are quick to formulate a whimsical response, attached to connection with the interviewee, with a Ne cast.

Personally I am biased and drunk and I have nothing to back me on what I said, so don't listen to my conjecture. :cheese: since I don't talk to people about this stuff.

stellar renegade

PEST that STEPs on PETS
MBTI Type
ESTP
Interesting, TheChosenOne! It sounds like they might actually be talking about introspection vs. observation though, or intuition vs. sensation.

NewEra

MBTI Type
I
Interesting, TheChosenOne! It sounds like they might actually be talking about introspection vs. observation though, or intuition vs. sensation.

I don't know, maybe the former. The MBTI does a pretty good job of explaining Intuition vs. Sensation, so it's not that. Introspection vs. Observation sounds closer, but I still think it's a pretty good example of Extroversion vs. Introversion.

As a side note, I could barely talk at age 4. This is what I would have been like as an 8-year old:

Mom: Stop running around.
Me: *runs around*
Dad: *laughs*
Mom: Stop laughing.
Me: yells at the top of his lungs
Dad: You will get punished.
Me: So what? *Continues running around*

stellar renegade

PEST that STEPs on PETS
MBTI Type
ESTP
Well introspection vs. observation is just Keirsey's version of intuition vs. sensation. He also says that the more active portion of the Idealists' and Rationals' brains are at the front (right, or left, don't remember how it's distributed) and for the Artisans and Guardians, at the back.

NewEra

MBTI Type
I
Well introspection vs. observation is just Keirsey's version of intuition vs. sensation. He also says that the more active portion of the Idealists' and Rationals' brains are at the front (right, or left, don't remember how it's distributed) and for the Artisans and Guardians, at the back.

Oh I see.