• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

My Enneagram type??

EJCC

The Devil of TypoC
MBTI Type
ESTJ
Enneagram
1w9
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
In advance: I know almost nothing about the Enneagram, because every time I've taken the test, I've gotten a result that I completely disagree with (that is, an 8), and I keep thinking "Screw this; I like MBTI!" But now, I'm having a change of heart... but I don't trust online Enneagram tests now. So, here I am, asking the pros. (Bear with me, if you can :))

As background: here's how I feel about me with relation to the enneagram type descriptions that I've read:

1) Maybe? I think I get this one the most. I relate to the appreciation of things that are well made, e.g. music, and the tendency towards criticism (and problems with anger). However, I don't relate to the resentment factor.
2) No way!!!
3) No - I don't put on facades, really. I'm comfortable with myself.
4) No - I'm not quite so melancholy and embracing of emotions. I often avoid them, actually...
5) I kind of relate, although it seems much more introspective than me. (And more INT than EST.)
6) No - I don't relate to the "phobic" or "counter-phobic" ideas at all.
7) I don't THINK so... I suppose it's possible. Sounds more ESFJ than ESTJ, though. Plus, I'm more pessimistic than the 7 descriptions I've read.
8) This was the result that I kept getting. I relate to a lot of it (need to be strong, fighting for justice, etc), but not the desperate need for power and control, and domination of everything around them. That part really isn't like me at all.
9) OH no.

Another note: I know NOTHING about wings.

I hope it's all right to post things like this when you know almost nothing about it... I just trust you guys on this far more than I trust myself or the online tests. So, feel free to ask me key questions if you so choose (to help make sense out of it).

MellowMarcello

Permabanned
In advance: I know almost nothing about the Enneagram, because every time I've taken the test, I've gotten a result that I completely disagree with (that is, an 8), and I keep thinking "Screw this; I like MBTI!" But now, I'm having a change of heart... but I don't trust online Enneagram tests now. So, here I am, asking the pros. (Bear with me, if you can :))

As background: here's how I feel about me with relation to the enneagram type descriptions that I've read:

1) Maybe? I think I get this one the most. I relate to the appreciation of things that are well made, e.g. music, and the tendency towards criticism (and problems with anger). However, I don't relate to the resentment factor.
Yeah if you don't have resentment you aren't a 1...that's pretty key.
2) No way!!!
If you have this strong of a reaction...odds are you aren't a 2
3) No - I don't put on facades, really. I'm comfortable with myself.
Facades is an inaccurate stereotype. I wouldn't rule out type 3 yet.
4) No - I'm not quite so melancholy and embracing of emotions. I often avoid them, actually...
Okay now I'm interested if you are a 3 who is comfortable with yourself.
5) I kind of relate, although it seems much more introspective than me. (And more INT than EST.)
That would rule out type 5.
6) No - I don't relate to the "phobic" or "counter-phobic" ideas at all.
I wouldn't rule out type 6 yet...the phobic-counterphobic is exaggerated.
7) I don't THINK so... I suppose it's possible. Sounds more ESFJ than ESTJ, though. Plus, I'm more pessimistic than the 7 descriptions I've read.
Probably not...SJ 7s don't exist.
8) This was the result that I kept getting. I relate to a lot of it (need to be strong, fighting for justice, etc), but not the desperate need for power and control, and domination of everything around them. That part really isn't like me at all.
I'm not sensing you are an 8 here...need to be strong is really weakness asserting itself which an 8 avoids...and an 8 reframes power as necessary even when it isn't.
9) OH no.
Okay probably not if that strong a reaction.

Another note: I know NOTHING about wings.

I hope it's all right to post things like this when you know almost nothing about it... I just trust you guys on this far more than I trust myself or the online tests. So, feel free to ask me key questions if you so choose (to help make sense out of it).

Online tests are often no good.

I'd start with type 3 first and then try out type 6. Avoiding emotions is often 3ish. Find a good type 3 description and a good type 6 description and go from there. Easier said than done since nearly all type descriptions need work.

A good way to differentiate 3 from 6 is if you react without thinking first and find you said something you wish you hadn't said...which would be 6. Avoiding feelings is more type 3. Needing things spelled out and clarified is more 6. Seeing yourself in others is more 3...where others are needed for identity as well as security.

EJCC

The Devil of TypoC
MBTI Type
ESTJ
Enneagram
1w9
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
I just read a 6 description (6) and a 3 description (3). My thoughts:

6) Jeez! So negative! (Note in advance: probably just the phrasing of the type description. I don't mean to offend! It's late at night.) So many characteristics that I would hate to have! I would certainly HOPE that I can make a decision on my own. I often ask for the opinions of others, when they're available, but it's not like I'm insecure/indecisive without asking for the advice of others. (I would HATE to be that person - incapable of making a decision without help! I hope that's not me!!!)
Also, when I said that I "avoid emotions", I meant that I only avoid negative ones, and only if it's possible to. If it's not possible to, I get through them as quickly as possibly, then shove them out of my mind so they don't get in the way any more than necessary. But if I know that something will make me emotional (e.g. a scary movie, a giant roller coaster), then I won't use/do/be around it. (Part of this has to do with my internal standards - I refuse to cry in public, and I don't like to look weaker than everyone else. I'd rather be the tough/steady one, which I often am - remember my MBTI type!) I realize that a lot of this sounds 6-ish, but the 6 descriptions I've read make it sound like they're consistently anxious. Whereas, for me, it's more like "Out of sight, out of mind". I don't thrive on anxiety to that extent. Also, when I'm feeling stressed, I only figure it out based on seemingly random symptoms (e.g. emotional outbursts, which I usually react to afterwards with bewilderment), or from asking people who are more emotion-savvy than me: Why am I acting like this?

3) This is also very negative. I related to the healthy 3 description (including "They come across as warm and genuine" and "They would pursue the goals even without the admiration") up until the idea that how other people think of them does not matter to them at all. I think it does, for me - although often I confuse how other people think of me with how I think of myself (e.g. I dress the way I do to make myself comfortable, but not others, although if people stared at my clothes all day, I would be uncomfortable). I do think of things in terms of hierarchy, although I can accept it if I'm not #1 at something. I just want to be respected in my field, even if that doesn't mean I'm #1. Respect (undefinable, number-wise, as it is) is my goal.
Also, and this is important to note, I am not a narcissist, nor am I vindictive in ANY WAY. I don't care about revenge - although karma in action is always nice, but doesn't everyone feel that way to an extent? I'm just not the revenge-taking type.

Another question: Why are all the descriptions so negative?? MBTI descriptions are like little rays of sunshine in comparison.

EDIT:
A good way to differentiate 3 from 6 is if you react without thinking first and find you said something you wish you hadn't said...which would be 6.
Yes.
Avoiding feelings is more type 3.
Kinda.
Needing things spelled out and clarified is more 6.
Yes.
Seeing yourself in others is more 3...where others are needed for identity as well as security.
Not so much.

Now I'm confused!!!!

EDIT #2: Did you call me weak before? :steam: I resent that!!

EDIT #3 (the last one. seriously.): I was just told that I'm "too genuine to be a 3". Thought you readers oughta know.

violet_crown

MBTI Type
ENTJ
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Just from my knowledge of the two subjects, the etypes Id most closely associate with STJs are 1, 3 and 8. 1s and 8s are similar in so far as that they are both part of the "gut" triad and so they focus on issues of how they relate to anger. 1s repress and internalize anger whereas 8s are very comfortable expressing anger and in fact tend to do so excessively.

On the other hand, 3s focus tends to be more on identity; they derive their sense of value from the role that they play. 1s and 3s may overlap in terms of an abiding sense of responsiblity, the difference between the two is motivation. 1s tend to have a strong desire to maintain things as they should be. At their worst this comes off as the stereotypical OCD, control freak type, at their best theyre truly practical idealist. Responsibility for the 3 is more an issue of being true to their "role", and appearing to excel at whatever that happens to be. They don't give off that same ferverent vibe that a 1 might, because at the end of the day they're not really believers so much as they don't want others to catch on that theyre a fraud, which is what they fear more than anything. 8s in total contrast just dont give a fuck about appearances or ideals per se. They tend to have personal codes that they will adhere to, but rarely comply with outside standards.

How the three types play with others is another interesting area to look at. 8s and 3s are both considered highly assertive types. They are both in differing respects dominant, competitive and aggressive. 3s I associate with Fe (particularly NF) type dominance. They rule crowds, gregarious, popular, high profile. Think Barack Obama. They understand what the people at the top have, then strive to emulate it. 8s on the other hand are a different kind of animal--more "gut", more primitive, more physical type of dominance. Even if they aren't trying to draw attention to themselves, they have a daunting quality to them. Theyre natural alphas, people dont so much follow them as fall into their orbits and go along, theyre the kind of individual youd expect to outlast the cockroaches. Robert Deniro is the quintessential 8.

1s arent as shmoozy as a 3 nor as anti as an 8. Theyre upstanding, particular, highly attentive, detail-oriented and typically deeply invested in whatever theyre doing. They have standards. They are the most tightly wound of the three, but come off as more genuine than a 3 and less intimidating than an 8. From the less mature ones you get a precarious feeling like theyre whole worlds a round of jenga, and if they budge even one of the myriad of particularities the whole thing will come crashing down. Think Hillary Clinton or Joan Cusack in just about anything.

So thats my spiel. From my interaction with you, I'd type you as an 8w9 sp/so*. You're pretty chill and come off as genuine.

*Just to add one more level of confusion to this, theres also a thing called the instinctual variant, which besides the wing has an impact on the "flavor" of the type. Theres a pretty good explanation here.

Edit: Whoops. Spoke to soon. Switching my vote to 6w7. Possible 1. I would rule out 3 and 8 though.

MellowMarcello

Permabanned
I just read a 6 description (6) and a 3 description (3). My thoughts:

6) Jeez! So negative! (Note in advance: probably just the phrasing of the type description. I don't mean to offend! It's late at night.) So many characteristics that I would hate to have! I would certainly HOPE that I can make a decision on my own. I often ask for the opinions of others, when they're available, but it's not like I'm insecure/indecisive without asking for the advice of others. (I would HATE to be that person - incapable of making a decision without help! I hope that's not me!!!)
Also, when I said that I "avoid emotions", I meant that I only avoid negative ones, and only if it's possible to. If it's not possible to, I get through them as quickly as possibly, then shove them out of my mind so they don't get in the way any more than necessary. But if I know that something will make me emotional (e.g. a scary movie, a giant roller coaster), then I won't use/do/be around it. (Part of this has to do with my internal standards - I refuse to cry in public, and I don't like to look weaker than everyone else. I'd rather be the tough/steady one, which I often am - remember my MBTI type!) I realize that a lot of this sounds 6-ish, but the 6 descriptions I've read make it sound like they're consistently anxious. Whereas, for me, it's more like "Out of sight, out of mind". I don't thrive on anxiety to that extent. Also, when I'm feeling stressed, I only figure it out based on seemingly random symptoms (e.g. emotional outbursts, which I usually react to afterwards with bewilderment), or from asking people who are more emotion-savvy than me: Why am I acting like this?

3) This is also very negative. I related to the healthy 3 description (including "They come across as warm and genuine" and "They would pursue the goals even without the admiration") up until the idea that how other people think of them does not matter to them at all. I think it does, for me - although often I confuse how other people think of me with how I think of myself (e.g. I dress the way I do to make myself comfortable, but not others, although if people stared at my clothes all day, I would be uncomfortable). I do think of things in terms of hierarchy, although I can accept it if I'm not #1 at something. I just want to be respected in my field, even if that doesn't mean I'm #1. Respect (undefinable, number-wise, as it is) is my goal.
Also, and this is important to note, I am not a narcissist, nor am I vindictive in ANY WAY. I don't care about revenge - although karma in action is always nice, but doesn't everyone feel that way to an extent? I'm just not the revenge-taking type.

Another question: Why are all the descriptions so negative?? MBTI descriptions are like little rays of sunshine in comparison.

EDIT:
Yes.
Kinda.
Yes.
Not so much.

Now I'm confused!!!!

EDIT #2: Did you call me weak before? :steam: I resent that!!

EDIT #3 (the last one. seriously.): I was just told that I'm "too genuine to be a 3". Thought you readers oughta know.

You do sound like a 6 to me...3s are more flatlined than:

confused!!!!

plus type 6 is the most likely to suffer from ambivalence between different thoughts. They are in the center of the 5-6-7 head triad...so use their thinking center to nagivate close to everything.

Also, and this is important to note, I am not a narcissist, nor am I vindictive in ANY WAY.

Okay that sounds real 6ish...probably 6w7...the "important to note" and ANY WAY are at least as important as the message of not being a narcissist or vindictive. 6w7 is about coming out to say that they aren't a threatening type of person...and once the other person feels at ease...they can feel more at ease.

Asterion

Ruler of the Stars
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx

MBTI descriptions are purposely made to be nice, I think it's because if they weren't, you'd end up discriminating against types, and I guess some people might find it offensive/violating or something. I find that it's easier to know your enneagram type, I haven't seen much negativity, they are just flaws, the hits you take for whatever advantages you stand to gain.

Also, 6s aren't completely dependent upon other peoples opinions 100% of the time, they can often alternate between dependent and independent, just as they can be both phobic and counter-phobic.

I'm not too sure about health levels when it comes to the enneagram, but it seems like most people fall into the average category more than anything else. But I suppose, it depends greatly on your age and experiences, so you could just as easily fall into the healthy range. I think I'm about level 4 or 5 atm... I'd like to know what it takes to be a level 1 or 2 :yes:

EJCC

The Devil of TypoC
MBTI Type
ESTJ
Enneagram
1w9
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
Just from my knowledge of the two subjects, the etypes Id most closely associate with STJs are 1, 3 and 8. 1s and 8s are similar in so far as that they are both part of the "gut" triad and so they focus on issues of how they relate to anger. 1s repress and internalize anger whereas 8s are very comfortable expressing anger and in fact tend to do so excessively.
Interesting. I'd say I'm pretty comfortable expressing it. The emotions I hold in are more along the lines of sadness, embarrassment and fear. NOT anger. Anger just kind of bursts forth whenever it feels like it, without checking in with me in advance.

On the other hand, 3s focus tends to be more on identity; they derive their sense of value from the role that they play. 1s and 3s may overlap in terms of an abiding sense of responsiblity, the difference between the two is motivation. 1s tend to have a strong desire to maintain things as they should be. At their worst this comes off as the stereotypical OCD, control freak type, at their best theyre truly practical idealist. Responsibility for the 3 is more an issue of being true to their "role", and appearing to excel at whatever that happens to be. They don't give off that same ferverent vibe that a 1 might, because at the end of the day they're not really believers so much as they don't want others to catch on that theyre a fraud, which is what they fear more than anything. 8s in total contrast just dont give a fuck about appearances or ideals per se. They tend to have personal codes that they will adhere to, but rarely comply with outside standards.
Well, THERE I'm not like an 8. In other areas, I am. But not there.
People have called me OCD... I've often called myself a goody-two-shoes... but I don't like the "appearing to excel" thing. I want to EXCEL, not APPEAR to excel. If I were faking anything so important in my life, I wouldn't be able to live with myself. I am not a fraud.

How the three types play with others is another interesting area to look at. 8s and 3s are both considered highly assertive types. They are both in differing respects dominant, competitive and aggressive. 3s I associate with Fe (particularly NF) type dominance. They rule crowds, gregarious, popular, high profile. Think Barack Obama. They understand what the people at the top have, then strive to emulate it. 8s on the other hand are a different kind of animal--more "gut", more primitive, more physical type of dominance. Even if they aren't trying to draw attention to themselves, they have a daunting quality to them. Theyre natural alphas, people dont so much follow them as fall into their orbits and go along, theyre the kind of individual youd expect to outlast the cockroaches. Robert Deniro is the quintessential 8.
Well, I'm certainly not Barack Obama. In fact, even though many of my friends think I'd be a good officeholder, I'm not going to run in the near future, because I don't really think I have the charisma for it. I've tried campaigning for offices, but I was never well-liked enough. Who says that will change?
Also, I have trouble with 8 descriptions, because they all seem so... filled with testosterone. I mean, you talk about "outlasting the cockroaches", and your 8 example is one of the manliest men to ever walk the earth. So... what are 8 females like? Same thing? Hard to compare myself to the 8 description without knowing that much.
1s arent as shmoozy as a 3 nor as anti as an 8. Theyre upstanding, particular, highly attentive, detail-oriented and typically deeply invested in whatever theyre doing. They have standards. They are the most tightly wound of the three, but come off as more genuine than a 3 and less intimidating than an 8. From the less mature ones you get a precarious feeling like theyre whole worlds a round of jenga, and if they budge even one of the myriad of particularities the whole thing will come crashing down. Think Hillary Clinton or Joan Cusack in just about anything.
I dunno if I'm tightly wound (I can seem pretty chill to some people - including you :)), and I'm not sure if I relate to the Jenga metaphor. The second sentence of this paragraph ("They're upstanding..."), I relate to a lot.

Whoops. Spoke to soon. Switching my vote to 6w7. Possible 1. I would rule out 3 and 8 though.
What made you change your mind?
Seems like many people are thinking 6w7. I have an issue with that, though, with that issue being the fact that Woody Allen is a 6w7. As much as I would like to be as funny as him, I am REALLY not like him. I doubt that anyone would ever describe me as neurotic. However, I relate to the comments about being funny and also hard to follow, which, if I AM a 6w7, manifests itself in my sense of humor, which some find hysterically funny, and others completely and utterly fail to grasp. Some people have called it "awkward" before... whatever that means.

violet_crown

MBTI Type
ENTJ
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wind-up Rex

Interesting. I'd say I'm pretty comfortable expressing it. The emotions I hold in are more along the lines of sadness, embarrassment and fear. NOT anger. Anger just kind of bursts forth whenever it feels like it, without checking in with me in advance.

Well, THERE I'm not like an 8. In other areas, I am. But not there.
People have called me OCD... I've often called myself a goody-two-shoes... but I don't like the "appearing to excel" thing. I want to EXCEL, not APPEAR to excel. If I were faking anything so important in my life, I wouldn't be able to live with myself. I am not a fraud.

Between the post that you made in response to the description above and what youve said here, I would definitely rule out 3. See, basically the enneagram works on the idea that everyone has a basic fixation or neuroses, and left unchecked their lives center around acting in ways to relieve the anxiety caused by that fixation. So in the case of the 8, they do everything to come off a strong and powerful because they truly fear being weak; 3s strive position and recognition because they truly believe themselves to be worthless; and 1s freak out over rules and order because they fear they will always fall short of their ideas. If you dont identify with the fixation, then its probably not your type.

Well, I'm certainly not Barack Obama. In fact, even though many of my friends think I'd be a good officeholder, I'm not going to run in the near future, because I don't really think I have the charisma for it. I've tried campaigning for offices, but I was never well-liked enough. Who says that will change?
Also, I have trouble with 8 descriptions, because they all seem so... filled with testosterone. I mean, you talk about "outlasting the cockroaches", and your 8 example is one of the manliest men to ever walk the earth. So... what are 8 females like? Same thing? Hard to compare myself to the 8 description without knowing that much

Well, thats kinda the whole point of the 8--power. 8w9s are more low key relatively speaking. 8s are about having the strength to provide for those you care about and protect those who arent as strong as yourself. They want to be seen as powerful and capable of controlling their own destiny, and they neither want nor need the support or approval of others in doing so. At their worst it really can be a bunch of vicious machismo bullshit, but at their best the strength is put towards serving others and restraining their own ability to do harm.

Quote:

I dunno if I'm tightly wound (I can seem pretty chill to some people - including you ), and I'm not sure if I relate to the Jenga metaphor. The second sentence of this paragraph ("They're upstanding..."), I relate to a lot.

I dont know what to tell you. Keep reading on it till you find one that clicks. Also Im not tightly wound :dry:.

Quote:
Whoops. Spoke to soon. Switching my vote to 6w7. Possible 1. I would rule out 3 and 8 though.

What made you change your mind?

The reactivity in the post above mine. Too genuinely effusive for a Three. Not self-contained enough to be an Eight. One is possible because your emphasis on you acting one way or another because it was the correct way to act. It had that keyed up, charmingly hypercerebral 6ish ring to it.

Seems like many people are thinking 6w7. I have an issue with that, though, with that issue being the fact that Woody Allen is a 6w7. As much as I would like to be as funny as him, I am REALLY not like him. I doubt that anyone would ever describe me as neurotic. However, I relate to the comments about being funny and also hard to follow, which, if I AM a 6w7, manifests itself in my sense of humor, which some find hysterically funny, and others completely and utterly fail to grasp. Some people have called it "awkward" before... whatever that means.

Well, I think that there can be pricks in any type, but Woody Allen is pretty par as far as 6s go. They overthink everythink, a touch self-centered, cocky then self-doubting. One of my best girlfriends is a 6w5. Shes warm, loyal to a fault, absolutely brilliant, but I swear to god the girl makes Hamlet look like Bruce Willis. Theres always this mental back and forth and should or shouldnt I and always one more what if that ends up making her do nothing. I think that a 6w5 is more likely to be neurotic, a 6w7 is better described as high-strung. In your case, I think 6 when you were talking about your friend encouraging you to run for office. "I could run, and I might be good at it, but what if no one votes for me? What if nothing would change? What if..." No one can needlessly worry an idea to death like a 6, but then again no one can be more hilarious as they think up more and more off-the-wall scenarios for their so-called disastrous lives (cause youre not a 6 unless every event is treated like an overwhelming crisis) ;)

EJCC

The Devil of TypoC
MBTI Type
ESTJ
Enneagram
1w9
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
Random update: I think I'm a 1.

The fact that I related to tiny portions of the 6 description is probably because ones also avoid risk-taking. And, to a degree, a lot of people, regardless of enneagram type, have fears that they avoid.

And this might sound dumb, but I was only about 80% right in my previous definition of "resentment". Now that I know 100%, I'm pretty sure I'm a 1. You have no idea how many times I've been pissed off about something and got even more pissed off about it because I knew that I "wasn't allowed" to do something about it.

I think that 1 descriptions talk too much about them being cold, though. I'm generally a warm and friendly person, but there are some emotions that I hold in. Also, they don't acknowledge the fact that even if you try to hold in your anger, it can slip out sometimes (which it does with me).

Space_Oddity

MBTI Type
CAT
Instinctual Variant
so
Random update: I think I'm a 1.

After watching your video, this was my first guess. :)

Your vibe is sort of like I'd imagine young versions of my favorite ESTJ teachers from high school, and I suspect them of being 1w2. They must have been sorta strong, cool and witty. :cool: I have an ISTJ friend who is a 6, and although you kind of reminded me of her she seems considerably more withdrawn and self-conscious. The person you reminded me of the most was Hermione Granger, actually :D Whatever Enneagram she would be. ;)

Last edited:

EJCC

The Devil of TypoC
MBTI Type
ESTJ
Enneagram
1w9
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
To aid in typing (or to see if people think that I might be a 1w2, as I suspect), here is my video from the video thread.

One thing that seems 1w2-ish to me, on watching the video again, is the part when I say that "I care too much about what other people think", and that I "don't take a lot of risks in that sort of way". (I kinda think that what I meant by "other people" was just "the population in general", but I'm not sure.)

Also, I'm notorious in my family for having to explain, in detail, why I did a particular thing, if they don't approve of it, and getting upset when they say that they don't care about the explanation ('cause I always REALLY HAVE TO SAY IT). I'm pretty sure that it's because doing things wrong makes me very, very embarrassed, and that humiliation makes me try to defend myself against further "attack".

Little Linguist

Striving for balance
MBTI Type
xNFP
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
To aid in typing (or to see if people think that I might be a 1w2, as I suspect), here is my video from the video thread.

One thing that seems 1w2-ish to me, on watching the video again, is the part when I say that "I care too much about what other people think", and that I "don't take a lot of risks in that sort of way". (I kinda think that what I meant by "other people" was just "the population in general", but I'm not sure.)

Also, I'm notorious in my family for having to explain, in detail, why I did a particular thing, if they don't approve of it, and getting upset when they say that they don't care about the explanation ('cause I always REALLY HAVE TO SAY IT). I'm pretty sure that it's because doing things wrong makes me very, very embarrassed, and that humiliation makes me try to defend myself against further "attack".

YES AGREED!!!!!! :D

EJCC

The Devil of TypoC
MBTI Type
ESTJ
Enneagram
1w9
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
So, I'm definitely, 100%, a member of the 1w2 family? :cheese:

... :puppy_dog_eyes:

EJCC

The Devil of TypoC
MBTI Type
ESTJ
Enneagram
1w9
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
...guys? What do you think? :)

Venom

Babylon Candle
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
1w9
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
would you mind explaining type 1 resentment?

EJCC

The Devil of TypoC
MBTI Type
ESTJ
Enneagram
1w9
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
You mean... as I experience it/as I THINK I experience it? Well, if I am in fact a 1, it's a desperate need to say something, or stick up for yourself, or express anger/frustration in some way, and an inability to, either because I feel like I'm not allowed to or I feel like it wouldn't be appropriate. But when that happens, it's like it's boiling right below the surface and sometimes I have a hard time thinking about anything else. It takes over my entire consciousness, and all I can really do is be silent and wallow in it.

I'd say that this sort of thing doesn't happen to me a whole lot, though. It's situational - i.e. it only shows up when someone/thing makes me upset and I don't think I can do anything about it. So it doesn't dominate my existence or anything. If I am a 1, then what dominates my existence is a 1-ish need to do everything RIGHT.

Space_Oddity

MBTI Type
CAT
Instinctual Variant
so
You mean... as I experience it/as I THINK I experience it? Well, if I am in fact a 1, it's a desperate need to say something, or stick up for yourself, or express anger/frustration in some way, and an inability to, either because I feel like I'm not allowed to or I feel like it wouldn't be appropriate. But when that happens, it's like it's boiling right below the surface and sometimes I have a hard time thinking about anything else. It takes over my entire consciousness, and all I can really do is be silent and wallow in it.

This sounds a LOT like my ESTJ boyfriend, who is also a 1 (1w9). He usually holds his anger and frustration in (except when he vents to me XD), but one can feel it boiling inside him. There's really a lot of powerful, sometimes almost dangerous energy associated with 1, I'd think.

EJCC

The Devil of TypoC
MBTI Type
ESTJ
Enneagram
1w9
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
^ Thanks for the input! I'm still uncertain, though... I guess because the 1 description has so many things in it that I don't relate to, and I feel like it goes too far on some of them. Here are the things I DON'T relate to:

From Enneagram Institute:
They strive to overcome adversity—particularly moral adversity—so that the human spirit can shine through and make a difference.
I never ever EVER think of things in terms of the "human spirit". I honestly don't speak that language (I can kinda understand it, but speaking it doesn't come naturally to me - my STJ accent gets in the way).
They are usually seen by others as highly self- controlled, even rigid, although this is not how Ones experience themselves.
The only people who see me as being uptight are people that I dislike, or who make me uncomfortable. Everyone else sees me differently. (Watch my video and you'll understand.)
It seems to them that they are sitting on a cauldron of passions and desires, and they had better “keep the lid on” lest they and everyone else around them regret it.
True to an extent, but it's situational! There are plenty of emotions that I'd be totally fine sharing! It's just that maybe 1/5 of the time, I'll make a conscious effort to not say something because it would be "bad" to do that, i.e. against my set of internal rules. But I'm pretty open with most emotions - or at least, the ones that don't make me uncomfortable (pardon the double negative).

From enneagram.net:
Sometimes, you wish that you could let go and have more fun. This can be hard for you to do unless you are on vacation because of your strong work ethic.
You prefer what is practical, grounded and stable and avoid appearing silly or frivolous to others.
Completely and utterly untrue; I like to be silly and I love to make people laugh.

I'm also not sure if I'm quite as idealistic and leader-ish as the descriptions might make me out to be. I'd like to think of myself as more of a realist, but NOT a pessimistic realist.

But this is me being picky, I think - I realize that as I write this because I can relate much, much better to some type descriptions than others.

Thoughts?

EJCC

The Devil of TypoC
MBTI Type
ESTJ
Enneagram
1w9
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
Also, this:

1 vs 6: Ones unlike sixes do not worry and are very sure of themselves. They know what their purpose is in the world. They "just know" way things should be and they pride themselves in not wavering in their convictions. Ones have a drive for self-improvement that sixes don't have.
I worry! But I've gotten to the point that when I worry, I go:
"Stop worrying about this! Worrying doesn't help anything and you've done stuff like this before with no problem. Remember _____ and _____ (evidence)? Just shut up, internal voice! Shut the hell up."
And then the internal voice pretty much shuts up.

Edit: You know, the way that quote is phrased is pretty much stupid. Everyone worries about things! It's just a matter of degree. If you consider other 1 type descriptions, wouldn't it make sense that 1s occasionally worry about doing things wrong?