• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

ESFP or ESTP?

stellar renegade

PEST that STEPs on PETS
MBTI Type
ESTP
Why would you want to sit on the sidelines? One thing I can't understand is how talk could ever compare to actually experiencing things.

At least take my hand so we can dance to some bouncin' tunes. ;)

Amargith

Hotel California
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
4dw
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
Coz talking can be an experience in itself ;)

And observing from the sidelines at what you guys get up to is utterly enjoyable as well :D

Then again, I haven't danced in ages and you guys usually do know how to lead...

Choices, choices, choices :wubbie:

stellar renegade

PEST that STEPs on PETS
MBTI Type
ESTP
Well just dance and you won't have to decide anymore. :wink:

I guess I'll never understand, maybe mostly cuz I tried the whole N thing out and it never worked for me. I'll try to just shrug my shoulders and respect it as an equally valid lifestyle as much as I can.

<33

Wiley45

MBTI Type
INFP
Whaddya mean you tried the whole N thing? You got the chance to be an N till midnight when your carriage turned back into a pumpkin, or what?

I hate being the center of attention, so enjoying things from the sidelines can be very relaxing and energizing for me. I enjoy laughing but not being the object of laughter. I like to observe, because interacting with people too much feels draining to me. It takes a lot of effort. When I'm in the middle of the action, I'm overcome with emotions and it can get very overwhelming, even if the emotions are positive. I like fun and action, but not in the same gigantic dose that you ESTP's do. Plus ... I have plenty of fun, but our definitions differ quite a bit. I think attending a lecture or reading a textbook is a rush, which makes my ESTP want to vomit. Heh heh.

I like dancing too, but usually it's while I'm cooking or brushing my teeth or jumping on my couch in a moment of happiness inspired insanity. Get me somewhere in public A)where I feel extremely comfortable or B)where there's a little alcohol to help me out, and then I'll dance. :D

stellar renegade

PEST that STEPs on PETS
MBTI Type
ESTP
Whaddya mean you tried the whole N thing? You got the chance to be an N till midnight when your carriage turned back into a pumpkin, or what?
Well I seemed to have an N mind for a little bit in my teens. Kinda weird but true. I'm truly an SP at heart, though.

I like fun and action, but not in the same gigantic dose that you ESTP's do. Plus ... I have plenty of fun, but our definitions differ quite a bit. I think attending a lecture or reading a textbook is a rush, which makes my ESTP want to vomit. Heh heh.
Yeah, too many words. I'd like to be able to listen to a bunch of abstraction, but I just can't do it. I can't even stand around and talk about a "plan of action" at work. Usually when they're doing that I just walk away and occupy myself with more work.

I like dancing too, but usually it's while I'm cooking or brushing my teeth or jumping on my couch in a moment of happiness inspired insanity. Get me somewhere in public A)where I feel extremely comfortable or B)where there's a little alcohol to help me out, and then I'll dance. :D
Dancing while brushing your teeth? Interesting, I'll have to try that out.

The Ü™

Permabanned
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
-Very caring as a boss. Feels for his employees who are in difficult situations, and does his best to be fair and do things that are helpful to the employees.

-Huge joker. Picks on/teases people as a main form of humor. Intentionally trips on stairs or wears embarrassing things to make people laugh. Lots of physical antics. Fueled by getting a laugh. Great storyteller. Charms people. Annoys rigid people.

This seems more like a Performer Artisan, not a Promoter.

A Promoter Artisan is more calculating.

Really, he's an ESFP in his masculine social role.

stellar renegade

PEST that STEPs on PETS
MBTI Type
ESTP
If you're going by the Keirsey descriptions, I think you'll find that they fit very well with her descriptions of him. Besides, you only singled out two points. Alot of what she said does show how calculating he is.

And he sounds exactly like me.

The Ü™

Permabanned
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
If you're going by the Keirsey descriptions, I think you'll find that they fit very well with her descriptions of him. Besides, you only singled out two points. Alot of what she said does show how calculating he is.

And he sounds exactly like me.

Maybe.

But nothing else really screamed a T/F preference (F types can be emotionally stable), though the dude is definitely Se-dom.

I just think people are jumping to the ESTP conclusion way too fast.

stellar renegade

PEST that STEPs on PETS
MBTI Type
ESTP
Okay, I'll take the challenge.

For one, he likes to build things. That requires a critical mind. Athletic, loves to get inside peoples' heads (definite "Promoter" trait). Calculating enough to bring a padlock along to defend himself against the hazing initiators. Takes obnoxious people on, kept track of details about a teacher's habits and threw them back into her face. Can be argumentative or intimidating. Very good at talking his way out of punishment.

Do none of those strike you as exclusive Promoter or ESTP traits?

Wiley45

MBTI Type
INFP
I think the word calculating does describe him. Normally I think of that word negatively, so I wouldn't have picked it, but it does fit. I think he does tend to think things through before pursuing action.

If he wants to win an argument, he will. In an emotionally heightened issue, he normally withholds his opinion and lets other people talk. He says he has to think about it before he speaks so he doesn't say something he'll regret, which occasionally drives me insane when I just want to know how he feels about something. Most times he just lets things slide, but he keeps track of details in his head and can lay them out in a way that's maddening when you're arguing with him. Even if he doesn't have a good case, he can twist everything around in a way that makes you sound wrong, and it sort of puts you in a mental fluster. If you sat down and thought it through later, you would say, "That was complete bullshit," but at the time it just sounds so convincing. Luckily, he's a nice guy and doesn't do that very often. :) His general mode of operation is to have fun with people but stay out of their personal business unless they provoke him. However, there are certain people who he constantly argues with for fun. It's his sport when he can't be out actually doing something.

He can follow plans for anything and build structures, and he used to enjoy building houses with another guy in the summer. However, he told me he wouldn't want to be an architect or engineer because he hates the math.

His first reaction to problems is to find a solution.

I think some reasons I was confused about T vs. F are that he lives to have fun and is generally a friendly and nice guy who never complains about listening to me blab on and on about feelings. He can sometimes run people over with his humor by accident, since he just gets on a roll and doesn't quit, but he's very compassionate and understanding toward people in certain situations, especially children and innocent people who have been victimized.

I don't know a lot about these two types yet, but I think ESTP fits.