• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

ENTP or INTP strange dilemma

jenocyde

half mystic, half skeksis
MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
7w8
I missed this! Funnily enough, when reading this thread and seeing you say that INTPs tend to correct linguistics a lot I thought to myself "Eh, I don't know about that, I may notice things but I tend to not make it a point to say anything..." only to find you use me as an example :doh: And funnily enough, when you described how it's done...I couldn't help but agree with you.

I don't even remember this happening btw.

Hahaha, it was funny. It was so natural to you, like breathing. I agree with BlackCat. And because my Ne is so natural to me, I kept thinking "what if I say this or that, what is going to happen? what if...?"

Because I'm also an NT, I understood what you were doing and why, I always notice those things, too. But I'm wondering if that's why other types tend to think of INTPs as smug or arrogant because of their need to correct.

JocktheMotie

Habitual Fi LineStepper
ENTPs have unconscious Ne and conscious Ti, INTPs have unconscious Ti and conscious Ne. Of course the Ti in ENTPs and Ne in INTPs will be somewhat unconscious, but it will really get going once the person tries to activate it within themselves.

And if you're an INTP, took a function test and got more Ne that doesn't mean Ne>Ti. That means that you didn't agree with the stereotypical way that Ti was said to be used in the test, and your Ti is still unconscious with Ne conscious.

And if you think you're an ambivert or that you're an "XNTP" then you're just getting a bad definition of E/I. You have to keep in mind that extroverts are more outwardly focused/expressed than introverts, who are inwardly focused/expressed. This is why Ne being unconscious in ENTPs makes sense and Ti being unconscious in INTPs makes sense.
What system are you using? I was under the impression TiNeSiFe/NeTiFeSi were all conscious for INTP and ENTPs. The unconscious ones are the inverse.

Amargith

Hotel California
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
4dw
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
Think it's natural to correct people on what you are knowledgable about. Some do it to help, others because they feel misinformation is a bane in this world. It's not just INTPs that do this, but they are the ones that tend to be focussed on the whole language precision use to assimilate knowledge better. And yes, it can come off as smug and arrogant. But so can anyone else who's talking about their field of expertise and cannot stand others getting even the smallest detail wrong.

BlackCat

Shaman
MBTI Type
ESFP
Enneagram
9w8
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
What system are you using? I was under the impression TiNeSiFe/NeTiFeSi were all conscious for INTP and ENTPs. The unconscious ones are the inverse.

My own made up one. :D

But really, the dominant function is pretty much unconscious with use... it's your bread and butter. You automatically do it. That's what I meant. The 2ndary is less of an auto response to things and is also a slave to your dominant. And other stuff that you already know.

G

garbage

Just yesterday, a friend of mine told me that my relationship with my ISFP worked because we're "both so introverted. Seriously, I'm not sure how two people as introverted as you are actually FIND each other!"

So, yeah.. this isn't the first time I've heard something like this. I know that I can give off an introverted vibe because I'm often detached and analytical. And there are threads abound on ENxPs being "introverted extroverts."

jenocyde

MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
7w8
Think it's natural to correct people on what you are knowledgable about. Some do it to help, others because they feel misinformation is a bane in this world. It's not just INTPs that do this, but they are the ones that tend to be focussed on the whole language precision use to assimilate knowledge better. And yes, it can come off as smug and arrogant. But so can anyone else who's talking about their field of expertise and cannot stand others getting even the smallest detail wrong.

I don't necessarily believe it's natural. For me, I notice the same things that Jock noticed, but I was content to just know that I know. I didn't need to correct. I correct on things that will be detrimental not to correct. Like obvious flaws in facts. But simple things like this seem unimportant to me, and I don't think grammar is the Jock's driving force. It was just a reflex.

So, yeah.. this isn't the first time I've heard something like this. I know that I can give off an introverted vibe because I'm often detached and analytical. And there are threads abound on ENxPs being "introverted extroverts."

That's because our extroverted dominant function is still a perceiving function. Followed up with an introverted function.

JocktheMotie

Habitual Fi LineStepper
GF just texted me back, after I asked her if I had a habit of doing it a lot.

"All the time, but I ignore you when you bring it to my attention, since when you don't do it you get all fidgety."

:doh:

Amargith

Hotel California
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
4dw
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
LOL, Jock :D

Jeno: I think you'll probably find yourself doing the same thing when it's on a subject that matters to you, that you consider important enough not to let little details slide on :)

G

garbage

That's because our extroverted dominant function is still a perceiving function. Followed up with an introverted function.

Makes perfect sense.

That, and Ne isn't really "based in reality" like Se is, so it's as if we're off in our own worlds anyway. So our two main functions completely abstract information about the world around us and dissect it internally.

jenocyde

MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
7w8
GF just texted me back, after I asked her if I had a habit of doing it a lot.

"All the time, but I ignore you when you bring it to my attention, since when you don't do it you get all fidgety."

:doh:

You certainly fidgeted. Hahahaha... It was funny. There was one time you were putting food in your mouth and you stopped cold, mentally debating what you should do first: correct me or take the bite that was an inch away from your lips.

You corrected me first, btw.

LOL, Jock :D

Jeno: I think you'll probably find yourself doing the same thing when it's on a subject that matters to you, that you consider important enough not to let little details slide on :)

Yeah, that's what I said. I don't do it for every little thing, like INTPs can.