• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

ENTP or INTP strange dilemma

jenocyde

half mystic, half skeksis
MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
7w8
Never happened that strangers are weird at me. Often I am polite and aloof with strangers, but when I want and I am motivated I can be a people-pleaser.

and if you can do it without liquor, that shows more signs of ENTPness, I think.

Fluffywolf

Nips away your dignity
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
You sound like an ENTP to me. INTPs can't help but correct you, it's a compelling instinct.

I could never fall asleep reading - all external stimuli amps me up. And I get bored around boring people, but am usually amped up after talking to someone. Unlike our little red-headed stepbrothers and sisters.

Maybe the kind of INTP's that can only speak one language.

I've never in my life felt compelled to correct someones spelling. :O

Unless they're like, hey you, if you see me making a spelling mistake could you point it out to me? And I'm like, sure yo, I'll do that for you.

Malcontent

MBTI Type
abcd
and if you can do it without liquor, that shows more signs of ENTPness, I think.

I don't mean flirting or stupid things like that in a disco.
But if I need something from someone, I usually know how is the appropriate behaviour to ask it.

jenocyde

MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
7w8
Maybe the kind of INTP's that can only speak one language.

I've never in my life felt compelled to correct someones spelling. :O

Unless they're like, hey you, if you see me making a spelling mistake could you point it out to me? And I'm like, sure yo, I'll do that for you.

It's the subtle way... I'm not trying to put anyone on blast, but I'm gonna. Fuck it. Ok, for instance, I was at a meetup with JocktheMotie and I had just come from speaking mandarin with a tennis partner. So at the meetup, it took me a little while to start thinking again in English. I butchered a few words and he casually corrected me. But in a subtle way. Like if I asked "can you help me with my xzy?", he would repeat it back to me like "oh, you need help with your xyz, sure, I can help you!" I don't think he even noticed it. It was so funny and adorable that I deliberately butchered at least 5 more words just to see, and I wasn't disappointed. This seems to be my experience with those of the INTP persuasion.

But yeah, those who speak multiple languages are usually more tolerant, as a whole.

Fluffywolf

Nips away your dignity
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I don't mean flirting or stupid things like that in a disco.
But if I need something from someone, I usually know how is the appropriate behaviour to ask it.

So do INTP's though. :D

Fluffywolf

Nips away your dignity
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Well, to be honest, it may just be me.

My sister is a dyslexic ESFJ. My father is dyslexic as well. I grew up in an environment very accepting of butchered words.

But I'll let you know this. If my sister says something, that comes out with an entirely different meaning than what she meant with it. Then yes, I do point it out to her. But if the meaning comes across perfectly fine then I don't mind.

entropie

Permabanned
MBTI Type
entp
Enneagram
Well, to be honest, it may just be me.

My sister is a dyslexic ESFJ. My father is dyslexic as well. I grew up in an environment very accepting of butchered words.

But I'll let you know this. If my sister says something, that comes out with an entirely different meaning than what she meant with it. Then yes, I do point it out to her. But if the meaning comes across perfectly fine then I don't mind.

Did you wanted to say with that that some americans are quick to judge, when they thing they know it all ?

As in, if you are x and y then you are definitly z ?

Fluffywolf

Nips away your dignity
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Did you wanted to say with that that some americans are quick to judge, when they thing they know it all ?

As in, if you are x and y then you are definitly z ?

I am to say that bilingual people tend to cope with mistakes themselves and are more understanding towards them as opposed to people knowing only one language and having it mastered perfectly.

entropie

Permabanned
MBTI Type
entp
Enneagram
I am to say that bilingual people tend to cope with mistakes themselves and are more understanding towards them as opposed to people knowing only one language and having it mastered perfectly.

Ok :)

Delphyne

MBTI Type
INFP
I thought about that for a long time, but I truly fit every ENTP description I have ever read. And while I identify a lot with INTPs, the ones that know me in irl would never call me one of their own.

I am definitely withdrawn but the more people, the more energized I get when I force myself out of the house. Also, I am someone who flits around from topic to topic and subject to subject, instead of specializing in depth like most INTPs.

But maybe I have a distorted view. I don't know. I guess if any forum members that have met me irl happen to see this thread, they might be able to comment further? I don't know, I just feel like an ENTP.

ENTPs and ENFPs seem to be more floating in the world of ideas, whereas INTPs are more focused and they tend a lot more to hold on to their ideas. ENTPs have a dominant perceiving function and Ti is their anchor and brings some closure. With INTPs it`s the other way round, their dominant judging function brings closure and they need their Ne to stay floating and open to new ideas.

So I would say ENTP fits you.

Malcontent

MBTI Type
abcd
ENTPs and ENFPs seem to be more floating in the world of ideas, whereas INTPs are more focused and they tend a lot more to hold on to their ideas. ENTPs have a dominant perceiving function and Ti is their anchor and brings some closure. With INTPs it`s the other way round, their dominant judging function brings closure and they need their Ne to stay floating and open to new ideas.

I think it could be my case too. Thanks.

jenocyde

MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
7w8

Yes, I know I am an ENTP. But like I said my Ne and Ti are almost level, and I switch back and forth in my dominant usage of them. I guess I use Ti when I'm alone and Ne when I'm out? I don't know. Who knows how the mind really processes anyway...

Asterion

Ruler of the Stars
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Yes, I know I am an ENTP. But like I said my Ne and Ti are almost level, and I switch back and forth in my dominant usage of them. I guess I use Ti when I'm alone and Ne when I'm out? I don't know. Who knows how the mind really processes anyway...

I've noticed that too, ENTPs are supposedly completely unemotional and serious when alone, and nuts when out and about (or something like that). I go pretty Ti when alone, letting my mind wander and analyze whatever comes up, often working out how things work without focusing much at all. Then when there are people around, I tangent all over the place, suddenly ask what a Howitzer is, or scream GOLF CLUBS! There are some social situations in which I go blank and quiet in though, I need to have some kind of control over a conversation before going nuts.

I'm starting to think that Fluffy Wolf might be one of us btw, all the INTPs I know exhibit that linguistic correction tendency. They are quite quick to pick up on incorrect tenses/pronunciations, I tell them I don't care...

jenocyde

MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
7w8
I'm starting to think that Fluffy Wolf might be one of us btw, all the INTPs I know exhibit that linguistic correction tendency. They are quite quick to pick up on incorrect tenses/pronunciations, I tell them I don't care...

I'm so glad you noticed that, too. It seems like it's their obsession. And meanwhile I sit there thinking, you are going to correct my grammar and you don't even know that your shirt is on inside out.

Asterion

Ruler of the Stars
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I'm so glad you noticed that, too. It seems like it's their obsession. And meanwhile I sit there thinking, you are going to correct my grammar and you don't even know that your shirt is on inside out.

hahha, so that's why there are so many of them on the internet...

JocktheMotie

Habitual Fi LineStepper
It's the subtle way... I'm not trying to put anyone on blast, but I'm gonna. Fuck it. Ok, for instance, I was at a meetup with JocktheMotie and I had just come from speaking mandarin with a tennis partner. So at the meetup, it took me a little while to start thinking again in English. I butchered a few words and he casually corrected me. But in a subtle way. Like if I asked "can you help me with my xzy?", he would repeat it back to me like "oh, you need help with your xyz, sure, I can help you!" I don't think he even noticed it. It was so funny and adorable that I deliberately butchered at least 5 more words just to see, and I wasn't disappointed. This seems to be my experience with those of the INTP persuasion.

But yeah, those who speak multiple languages are usually more tolerant, as a whole.

I missed this! Funnily enough, when reading this thread and seeing you say that INTPs tend to correct linguistics a lot I thought to myself "Eh, I don't know about that, I may notice things but I tend to not make it a point to say anything..." only to find you use me as an example :doh: And funnily enough, when you described how it's done...I couldn't help but agree with you.

I don't even remember this happening btw.

BlackCat

Shaman
MBTI Type
ESFP
Enneagram
9w8
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
ENTPs have unconscious Ne and conscious Ti, INTPs have unconscious Ti and conscious Ne. Of course the Ti in ENTPs and Ne in INTPs will be somewhat unconscious, but it will really get going once the person tries to activate it within themselves.

And if you're an INTP, took a function test and got more Ne that doesn't mean Ne>Ti. That means that you didn't agree with the stereotypical way that Ti was said to be used in the test, and your Ti is still unconscious with Ne conscious.

And if you think you're an ambivert or that you're an "XNTP" then you're just getting a bad definition of E/I. You have to keep in mind that extroverts are more outwardly focused/expressed than introverts, who are inwardly focused/expressed. This is why Ne being unconscious in ENTPs makes sense and Ti being unconscious in INTPs makes sense.