• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Type my pal!

KarenParker

MBTI Type
ESFP
Enneagram
He likes to play guitar and fix electrical equipment. He has worked the same job for 3 years as a drafter. He is quiet and shy but when he laughs it is the happiest laugh in the world and it's a real boost for your self esteem. Sometimes he can be grumpy. I think he bottles things up. In the past he has exploded at people. I'm not sure if he still does but he used to hold grudges against people. He's in a band and seems to have a lot of friends but he certainly isn't an energetic or overly talkative person.

Is that enough information?

BlackCat

Shaman
MBTI Type
ESFP
Enneagram
9w8
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
ISTP maybe?

BlackCat

Shaman
MBTI Type
ESFP
Enneagram
9w8
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Actually I take that back, not too certain on S/N (I don't want to stereotype based on fixing equipment), and "bottling things up" is done by Ts and Fs.

Holding grudges says Fi to me. But I'm not certain. Liking to fix things says Ti to me. Drafting is a more T oriented environment... but eh you can never be too certain. I liked drafting.

IXXP. Perhaps ISTP. But from what we know and how vague it is, IXXP.

KarenParker

MBTI Type
ESFP
Enneagram
Actually I take that back, not too certain on S/N (I don't want to stereotype based on fixing equipment), and "bottling things up" is done by Ts and Fs.

Holding grudges says Fi to me. But I'm not certain. Liking to fix things says Ti to me. Drafting is a more T oriented environment... but eh you can never be too certain. I liked drafting.

IXXP. Perhaps ISTP. But from what we know and how vague it is, IXXP.

What makes you feel certain he's not J?

BlackCat

Shaman
MBTI Type
ESFP
Enneagram
9w8
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
What makes you feel certain he's not J?

I don't have any details about P/J. Since I got a Ti/Fi vibe then he'd have to be an IXXP, since they lead with Ji (Ti or Fi).

Perhaps you should type more about him? About how he could fit into each dichotomy. Like for example... "He may be introverted because, he may be an intuitive because, he may be a sensor because" etc.

KarenParker

MBTI Type
ESFP
Enneagram
I don't have any details about P/J. Since I got a Ti/Fi vibe then he'd have to be an IXXP, since they lead with Ji (Ti or Fi).

Perhaps you should type more about him? About how he could fit into each dichotomy. Like for example... "He may be introverted because, he may be an intuitive because, he may be a sensor because" etc.

Well he took the MBTI and got ISTJ (with J being 53%) but sometimes my friends take it and they don't get the right result because they don't really know themselves. My friend was thinking he might be ISFJ but it's not clear. So maybe a better place to start would be what the differences are between ISTJ and ISFJ?

BlackCat

Shaman
MBTI Type
ESFP
Enneagram
9w8
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Well he took the MBTI and got ISTJ (with J being 53%) but sometimes my friends take it and they don't get the right result because they don't really know themselves. My friend was thinking he might be ISFJ but it's not clear. So maybe a better place to start would be what the differences are between ISTJ and ISFJ?

One last thing before I sleep.

Keep in mind that your friend could have marked one answer leaning toward P. Maybe he was in a mood that would make him do that, who knows. I think it's safe to say ISXX though.

Asterion

Ruler of the Stars
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
He has to be an ISTP, even his test result hints at it (as Ti is a judging function, as mentioned before), what you've described is exactly what ISTPs are like, they love mechanical work and systems that stimulate Ti, it's similar to INTP, only they prefer tangible things and are a fair bit less aloof. ISTPs also go nuts out on stage, they love the adrenalin rush, it's typical Se, they save it up, and then just go nuts, but I have seen ISTJs play in bands too...

KarenParker

MBTI Type
ESFP
Enneagram
OH boy. What's the difference between ISFJ, ISTJ and ISTP?

/DG/

silentigata ano (profile)
He likes to play guitar and fix electrical equipment. He has worked the same job for 3 years as a drafter. He is quiet and shy but when he laughs it is the happiest laugh in the world and it's a real boost for your self esteem. Sometimes he can be grumpy. I think he bottles things up. In the past he has exploded at people. I'm not sure if he still does but he used to hold grudges against people. He's in a band and seems to have a lot of friends but he certainly isn't an energetic or overly talkative person.

Is that enough information?

I read this and immediately think ISTP. He sounds like the classic ISTP to me. :D

Asterion

Ruler of the Stars
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
ISFJ imo. But more information is needed.

More information would be helpful, but I doubt that an ISFJ would act like that. The electrician thing seems like a clear sign of Ti/Se, although Si might be comfortable with it, it's more likely ISTP.

NewEra

MBTI Type
I
More information would be helpful, but I doubt that an ISFJ would act like that. The electrician thing seems like a clear sign of Ti/Se, although Si might be comfortable with it, it's more likely ISTP.

ISTPs are not the only ones who can fix things, and if the decision was based off that, it's a wrong decision. The overall description sounds more ISFJ but like I said, there's not enough info.

Asterion

Ruler of the Stars
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
That would be SO MUCH MORE FeSi/SiFe than any form of Fi.

I couldn't find blackcat's direct quote :blush:, but anyway, any introvert can hold a grudge, ISFJs are particularly known for it. The thing I don't see, is the Fe, but that could change upon new information.

ISTPs are not the only ones who can fix things, and if the decision was based off that, it's a wrong decision. The overall description sounds more ISFJ but like I said, there's not enough info.

It's not about the ability to fix things, Its a preference for the tangible mechanical kind of things, most people have a pretty clear idea of what an electrician will be dealing with when they decide to become one, I'm willing to be that an Fe user would not find it appealing. Se has a preference for things that they can see and touch, for example, the guitar. If this person was an ISFJ, the information given would be very different. Where are you getting the ISFJ impression from? Is it the grudge holding? The OP is an ESFP, they are not the kind of type to hold grudges at all, that point may have stuck out very well.

/DG/

Well, based off the information he sounds introverted. And like King-Of-Despair said, he seems like a big Se user. This would make him either ISFP or ISTP. I really don't see how he could be ISFJ.

KarenParker

MBTI Type
ESFP
Enneagram
Wow, you guys are so awesome.

Ok, I just hung out with him yesterday. I'll try to give more information. I'm not really sure what would be helpful but I'll just throw out everything. So he's a self-described "workaholic" and has had the same job for 5 years. Not 3 as I previously said. He built himself a studio recently. He tells VERY clever jokes. Nothing really seems to bother him. He is constantly playing guitar. He doesn't start projects and never finish them. (So that screams J to me) had an IKEA coffee table and without telling me, he went in my room and built it (in like, 10 minutes!) and brought it out to me as a surprise! (What a great guy!) He's very interested in how musical equipment works technically. He's a major audiophile! He has a ridiculously large collection of audio equipment. My best friend who is an INFJ likes him and he is SO SWEET to her. Never demanding anything. Just enjoying her company. He often tells her to just relax and not think so hard about things. He took her on a romantic picnic for one of their dates and he brought all of these foods he remembered her liking when they were friends YEARS ago. He also has been sending her sweet text messages and for their second date he took her to a concert and she made him dinner. He got along extremely well with my ISFJ boyfriend. They bonded over a love of all things guitar and rock related. I know that ISFJs are very drawn to other SFJs so I thought maybe they got along so well because they're both ISFJs? I'm just not totally convinced he's ISFJ though. ISFJs have this temperament where they are constantly bending over backwards trying to accommodate to you and this guy doesn't have that anxiety ISFJs do about that sort of thing. But he is still really considerate. He seems really balanced and healthy these days. Not the angry quiet guy I seemed to remember.

Ok that's all I can think of but if someone gives me specifics they think would be important to finding out what type he is, I will be able to tell you. Just ask me.

/DG/

He's a major audiophile!

Haha! I just had to add that I love this word. :D

So you said that you remembered him being sort of unhealthy? Wanting to know how things work and a love of music makes me think ISTP, but a workaholic? I dunno, now I'm confused. Maybe he is really ESTJ (ISTP's shadow), but he doesn't sound very ESTJ from the description. :/

Asterion

Ruler of the Stars
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Wow, you guys are so awesome.

Ok, I just hung out with him yesterday. I'll try to give more information. I'm not really sure what would be helpful but I'll just throw out everything. So he's a self-described "workaholic" and has had the same job for 5 years. Not 3 as I previously said. He built himself a studio recently. He tells VERY clever jokes. Nothing really seems to bother him. He is constantly playing guitar. He doesn't start projects and never finish them. (So that screams J to me) had an IKEA coffee table and without telling me, he went in my room and built it (in like, 10 minutes!) and brought it out to me as a surprise! (What a great guy!) He's very interested in how musical equipment works technically. He's a major audiophile! He has a ridiculously large collection of audio equipment. My best friend who is an INFJ likes him and he is SO SWEET to her. Never demanding anything. Just enjoying her company. He often tells her to just relax and not think so hard about things. He took her on a romantic picnic for one of their dates and he brought all of these foods he remembered her liking when they were friends YEARS ago. He also has been sending her sweet text messages and for their second date he took her to a concert and she made him dinner. He got along extremely well with my ISFJ boyfriend. They bonded over a love of all things guitar and rock related. I know that ISFJs are very drawn to other SFJs so I thought maybe they got along so well because they're both ISFJs? I'm just not totally convinced he's ISFJ though. ISFJs have this temperament where they are constantly bending over backwards trying to accommodate to you and this guy doesn't have that anxiety ISFJs do about that sort of thing. But he is still really considerate. He seems really balanced and healthy these days. Not the angry quiet guy I seemed to remember.

Ok that's all I can think of but if someone gives me specifics they think would be important to finding out what type he is, I will be able to tell you. Just ask me.

ISFJ. :yes: That bolded part seems incredibly Si to me, and the caring for INFJ wimmin I've seen first hand. The workaholism fits ISFJ much better than it does ISTP. I could be wrong though, The clever jokes could hint at ISTP depending on what the jokes were like, and ISTPs are capable of being caring and considerate... but most probably not on that level.

I'm curious now, how did people decide ISFJ from the first lot of info?