• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

ENTX help?

paintmuffin

MBTI Type
eNTP
I've read through a lot of the ENTPvsENTJ forum and it doesn't seem to be helping with my predicament. People keep posting witty, oversimplified stereotypes in an effort to explain the differences, and it's just confusing me. Here's some stuff about me:

-I love to plot things and plan things. Whether it's detailed choreography of a romantic assault, or a revenge plan that could get someone killed, I look at the world like a chessboard and screw it around in my head. I mean, the plans don't always work, but I still have fun with it.

-I love having friends. Well, no, "love" is a strong word. It's just nice to have people you can rely on to help you through tough s***. I have tons of friends and I'm always terrified of offending them - not necessarily because I care about their feelings, but I'm just terrified of losing their support. Everyone jokes that I'm an evil, tyrannical overlord, but most of them think I'm a sweetie at heart. Which I'm not.

-I do everything indirectly. I hate situations that require me to do something out of my comfort zone, so I "hire" some friends to do my dirty work or come up with an elaborate scheme which involves manipulating COUNTLESS people to achieve a simple goal.

-I have NO experience being a leader. I can be convincing, I can be kind, I can win people over. But I can't order them around. I love controlling people, but I can't bring myself to actually get them to do exactly what I want them to, because I'm too worried about losing their favor. Projects I'm put in charge of usually fail because I can't fully take control of the situation, as much as I'd like to. If I COULD fully control people, I'm sure I could make things work.

-I organize everything... in ways that make sense to me. But even with my careful planning and logical mind, I end up being late for everything with my papers falling out all over the place. Everyone thinks I'm a slob. I'm really not.

-I crave new ideas and information, and people THINK I'm creative - I love writing, drawing, all this stuff. But I can't always come up with something amazing and revolutionary off the top of my head. I usually need some kind of prompt or framework.

-I'm great at math. Sorry, just thought it was worth mentioning.

Wow, I typed a lot... that was probably really boring. But I'm no expert at this typology stuff, and I currently have a compulsive need to know which I am and I'd love some objective opinions. Either type jump out at you?

Nocapszy

no clinkz 'til brooklyn
MBTI Type
ENTP
J/P isn't really about control/tolerance[?] nor is it about planning vs. 'going with the flow' [whatever that means...]

organization need not be obvious in the J, the same way a P might actually be tidy.

typology is the study of tapered prevalence of psychological tendencies.

for an ENTP, the incline [ideally] goes as follows: iNtuition, Thinking, Feeling, Sensing.
with iNtuition being the big end of the wedge.

for an ENTJ it goes more like: Thinking iNtuition Feeling Sensing.

while you probably think that having your desk and shit organized makes you J, [which is likely something you fear anyway... seems like no one wants to be a J] you have to remember that you're human, and that humans organize things. it's what we do.

sameways, no one organizes everything to perfection. there's some shit that just doesn't have enough categories for us to separate things out into.

look into cognitive functions -- it sounds like you're looking under the hood of typology unlike most everyone else here, and that in itself invariably induces cognitive dissonance thanks to the lack of consistency within the ideas of J/P [and even E/I and S/N, but mostly P/J].