• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Random thought

redacted

INTP?

I was thinking about it today and somehow I wasn't as sure of INFJ. I'm obsessed with logic; it pervades my entire existence. Maybe a Ti dom?

Empathy doesn't necessarily make me an F...

But then again, I'm probably just trippin.

Matthew_Z

That chalkboard guy
MBTI Type
xxxx
There comes a time in every man's life when he thinks he was two letters off and is, in fact, an INTP. For me, that time was yesterday.

Are you sure about being an INTP? The change from a dominant Ni to an auxiliary Ne should be a a little drastic.

redacted

Well I'm definitely a Ti user over a Te, so INTJ would be impossible.

Matthew_Z

That chalkboard guy
MBTI Type
xxxx
Well I'm definitely a Ti user over a Te, so INTJ would be impossible.
And you're confident your Ti is stronger than your Fe?

EDIT: In retrospect, there are a few things I should have told you that would aid in your quest to find your type:

INFJs are S-tards. INTPs are F-tards. Since an INTP may not always have a strong S (It should be roughly as strong as the T in INFJs), it's not the best variable to go by. F, on the other hand, varies greatly between the two types. It is the primary judgment function for INFJs, but an INTP can usually qualify for "autistic" on an EQ test. Of course, the functions develop over time. Fe will develop in mid-life/late-life for an INTP, while it shows up in the teenage years(or possibly even earlier) for INFJs. If you're under 40 and have any decent manifestation of F (especially Fe), I'd rule out INTP as your possible type. (This, however, is not to prove that you are an INFJ. You still have the chance of being mistyped.)

And again, as I said, the Fe should develop in the teenage years for an INFJ. Reflecting back on your younger days and checking for the presence of Fe should be a fairly dead-in indicator.

As a last check, (READ: Check, only use to confirm your answer gathered previously) you can try to see if you fit into the "P for procrastination" category or "J for non-procrastination" category better. As another, albeit possibly unreliable check, you can search for the difference in iNtuition, seeing if you prefer the extroverted form (as INTPs do) or the introverted form (as INFJs do).

Thalassa

Permabanned
MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sx
INTP?

I was thinking about it today and somehow I wasn't as sure of INFJ. I'm obsessed with logic; it pervades my entire existence. Maybe a Ti dom?

Empathy doesn't necessarily make me an F...

But then again, I'm probably just trippin.

may I suggest that you take some tests to gauge your cognitive functions? It might help you decide.

Eric B

ⒺⓉⒷ
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
He's already taken the cognitive process tests, and from what I remember, Ti and Ni were the highest, and then I think Ne and Fe were next. So they were very ambiguous results, and why there was never 100% certainty.

I had mentioned before, that if INFJ, the tertiary Ti would "inflate" itself, to possibly appear dominant (hence, "obsession' with logic). Though he always genuinely seemed like a Ti dominant. A lot of INTP's had come up with strong Ni (I seem to be the only one for whom it is weakest).
If INTP, then Si would be the inflated tertiary. For me it definitely is, though many other INTP's have it as weak. IIRC, it may have been weak for Evan as well. I've more recently been looking at Lenore Thomson's brain alternative theory. I know that this works for the first two processes. Their opposites will come up as "alternatives" when the preferred processes cannot solve a problem. I'm not sure if that works for the tertiary and inferior. If so, then Ni could be a left-brain alternative for Si.

So a lot of it depends on the person's experiences. Even Fe could develop sooner than expected. Even Fi might come up a lot as the right-brain alternative to the dom. Ti. So it looks like the best way Evan can sort this out is to compare the roles Ne and Ni actually play out in his life. Those two mark the biggest difference between INTP and INFJ. (Since it can sometimes be hard to determine whether T or F is preferred, especially when the inflated tertiary or anima are involved). Is Ne like a "good parent" function, or it is more "oppositional", and only backing up Ni. Is Ni heroic, or is it more like a critical parent that also gives wise discovery at times?

I also once suggested ISTP, though it is true that there is definite N over S. But you always did seem more genuinely T over F.

BlueScreen

Fail 2.0
MBTI Type
YMCA
Have you considered ENTP?

Actually, if you haven't already run every option into the ground, then don't consider ENTP :).

nightning

ish red no longer *sad*
MBTI Type
INfj
INFJ, Evan.

Which is the unconscious response? Which reacts first? Fe or Ti?

Answer: Fe.

You're in the same boat I'm in. :)

redacted

Can't being a Ti dom make Ne look more like Ni, just because Ti is so focused on the internal standard?

It's just that I use Ti more than anyone else I know except other INTPs (of which I know 3, I realized), and even compared with them I seem pretty obsessed with logic.

Developed Fe could easily just be a response to my environment. I was heavily influenced by predicting my mother's craziness, forcing me to come up with a consistent value system for how one should act so that I could figure out when I should accept what she was doing or not. Also, my first girlfriend was ENFJ, and her mode of thought completely changed the way I interacted from then on (plus, she died, so there was all this weird psychology regarding carrying on her role and understanding of people).

I rarely ever make value judgments in any conversation, I just argue for consistency, regardless of whether or not I think the viewpoint is "right".

Plus, every time I explain MBTI to anyone, they think I'm INTP, and when I try to say that I'm F they're more quick to dismiss the entire theory than to believe me.

kyuuei

Emperor/Dictator
MBTI Type
enfp
Enneagram
If you're INTP I'll eat my hat. Since I don't want to do that, I'm thoroughly convinced you're INFJ. I base this on the numerous Vent chats you participated in when you got on there. If you're not a feeler, then I need to change my type to ENTP.

Having a love for logic doesn't make you a T. It means you like logical conclusions. But what you think is logical may not be the same as thinking like a T. I can elaborate on that as well if you'd like.

Thursday

Earth Exalted
MBTI Type
ENTJ
Enneagram
8w9
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I'd say INTP

simulatedworld

Freshman Member
MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
7w6
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
I'd say INTP is as good a guess as any.

redacted

If you're INTP I'll eat my hat. Since I don't want to do that, I'm thoroughly convinced you're INFJ. I base this on the numerous Vent chats you participated in when you got on there. If you're not a feeler, then I need to change my type to ENTP.

Having a love for logic doesn't make you a T. It means you like logical conclusions. But what you think is logical may not be the same as thinking like a T. I can elaborate on that as well if you'd like.

The reason I started this whole line of thought is that I have a roommate that i couldn't figure out for a long time: I knew he was either INFJ or INTP. After a while, I began to realize that maybe this site has skewed my view on INTPs, since they for some reason have a tendency to exaggerate their T-ish qualities and neglect to mention anything that could be interpreted as F.

Anyway, it's clear to me now that my roommate is INTP, and he and I agree that I probably use Ti more often than he does (I probably use Fe more, too).

Truth is, all the INTPs I know talk about right and wrong fairly often; they're pretty damn important concepts :).

Thursday

Earth Exalted
MBTI Type
ENTJ
Enneagram
8w9
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
The reason I started this whole line of thought is that I have a roommate that i couldn't figure out for a long time: I knew he was either INFJ or INTP. After a while, I began to realize that maybe this site has skewed my view on INTPs, since they for some reason have a tendency to exaggerate their T-ish qualities and neglect to mention anything that could be interpreted as F.

Anyway, it's clear to me now that my roommate is INTP, and he and I agree that I probably use Ti more often than he does (I probably use Fe more, too).

Truth is, all the INTPs I know talk about right and wrong fairly often; they're pretty damn important concepts :).

First paragraph says Ne
Second paragraph is Ti.
third is Si.
INTP

if you go through this thread and read your responses and the OP, you will see these three functions more than a starbucks.

redacted

Another thing is I'm dating this INFJ, and she seems completely insane and illogical to me. Not that I'm using perfect reasoning here, but it's at least an inductive hint.

Thursday

Earth Exalted
MBTI Type
ENTJ
Enneagram
8w9
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Another thing is I'm dating this INFJ, and she seems completely insane and illogical to me. Not that I'm using perfect reasoning here, but it's at least an inductive hint.

Si post

nightning

ish red no longer *sad*
MBTI Type
INfj

*chuckles* Bad experiences with other Fe users does not exempt you for the category.

It seems to me that INFJs come in two flavours... Scrap that, 3 flavours.

InFJ <- very heavy on Fe (ladypinkington is a good example)
INFj <- I don't mean socionics, light distant affection (Toonia)
INfJ <- The confusing Ti varient that looks half like INTP, but the J-ness makes the casual acquaintance think you're INTJ.

Can't being a Ti dom make Ne look more like Ni, just because Ti is so focused on the internal standard?

It's just that I use Ti more than anyone else I know except other INTPs (of which I know 3, I realized), and even compared with them I seem pretty obsessed with logic.
You can also say Ni Ti looks awfully like Ne... You're better off digging deeper down to see which is your automatic response rather than the learned response.

redacted

*chuckles* Bad experiences with other Fe users does not exempt you for the category.

It seems to me that INFJs come in two flavours... Scrap that, 3 flavours.

InFJ <- very heavy on Fe (ladypinkington is a good example)
INFj <- I don't mean socionics, light distant affection (Toonia)
INfJ <- The confusing Ti varient that looks half like INTP, but the J-ness makes the casual acquaintance think you're INTJ.

You can also say Ni Ti looks awfully like Ne... You're better off digging deeper down to see which is your automatic response rather than the learned response.

You're arguing with the assumption that I'm INFJ and trying to prove INTP wrong. You should do the opposite and compare the two arguments.

What if I'm just an INTP with a heavily nurture-based Fe response?

cascadeco

MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
9w1
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx

Well there's a spectrum within every single type, so within INFJ, obviously some will be far more illogical than others.

I've written this before on here, but I have 3 INFJ friends, and we're all rather different. One's more 'J', one's far more 'F', and compared to them, I could easily call myself INfj. (Edit: or, speaking in cognitive function terms, some INFJ's will lean more on Fe than others, some will use other functions they're not 'supposed' to use, etc...but I don't think I'm saying anything you don't already know)

So...there's that too. Variety within type, and numerous additional psychological factors.